Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

exquisite tea posted:

It always felt like that show was on all the time but the only episode I remember now is Goo Punch.

This has been living rent free in my head for 17 years and is a constant reminder that the internet just doesn't provide the same kind of entertainment today that it used to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lROMbspX10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Edge & Christian posted:

But with enough asterisks, Captain Planet is the longest running children's series produced in the United States that did not get renamed during its run and both began and ended in the decade of the 1990s animated program.

It was renamed to "The New Adventures of Captain Planet" at some point, so it doesn't even live up to your qualifiers.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

The Moon Monster posted:

There were only 13 episodes of My Brother and Me. Shocking stuff.

I don't remember a thing about that show except for a line a character says that I still use like thirty years later:

"If I'm lyin', I'm flyin', and as you can see I'm still on the ground."

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

It doesn't seem to be remotely true, Captain Planet had 113 episodes, which puts it behind Doug (117), Rugrats (172), the original TMNT (193), Arthur (253), and Spongebob Squarepants (284) off the top of my head. The last two stretch into the 2000s so it's possible those don't 'count' as longest running in the 1990s, and TMNT started in 1987 so that might disqualify it.

At first blush, Captain Planet might be the longest running show that began and ended in the 1990s, but even then I believe Rugrats, TMNT and Arthur had more individual episodes released in the 1990s than Captain Planet. And that's not even getting into the shows that were rebranded repeatedly for syndication/marketing/etc. reasons; Batman the Animated Series/Adventurs of Batman & Robin/New Batman Adventures/Batman Beyond adds up to 200+, and Animaniacs/Pinky & the Brain comes close to 200 as well. This also doesn't include prime time animation, non-American animation, etc.

But with enough asterisks, Captain Planet is the longest running children's series produced in the United States that did not get renamed during its run and both began and ended in the decade of the 1990s animated program.

well...poo poo. i saw it mentioned on the wiki page for captain planet a few months ago and just took it on face value. clearly i was wildly mistaken :smith:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Captain Planet loving sucked

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
there was like 12 episodes of turbo teen ever made and yet i think about this at least once a week:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

oldpainless posted:

yes but it had a kickin' soundtrack

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Laterite posted:

there was like 12 episodes of turbo teen ever made and yet i think about this at least once a week:

the biggest, thiccest rear end ever

a dumptruck so big it seats four

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Laterite posted:

like devolved Utena posting

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Laterite posted:

It just occurred to me that this was probably a low effort ripoff of Transformers but I just googled it and they both came out in September 1984 and Turbo Teen actually beat Transformers to air by about a week.

Apparently it was a low effort ripoff of Knight Rider

quote:

It was broadcast during the growing popularity of the Knight Rider television series and mirrors much of it. The car that Brett turns into looks like an amalgam of a Third Generation Chevrolet Camaro and its sister car, the Pontiac Trans Am; the later model Knight Rider's KITT is based on.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This might be true, but they've clearly put an enormous amount of effort into that one singular animation.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It just occurred to me that this was probably a low effort ripoff of Transformers but I just googled it and they both came out in September 1984 and Turbo Teen actually beat Transformers to air by about a week.

Speaking of "ripoff that came out earlier than Transformers", Challenge of the Gobots. The toys weren't THAT bad, and I remember the cartoon being enjoyably dumb (then again, so was The Transformers), but it did have one thing over The Transformers. More consistent female characters. Well, okay, I mean the psychobitch from Hell, Crasher, but that still counts, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was the baroness on GI Joe the expression of someone’s fetish, or just the unintentional origin of a bunch of people’s fetish?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

oldpainless posted:

Wow someone got the hate ring.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I'm still mad that the teenagers with RINGS OF ELEMENTAL POWER couldn't ever do poo poo to stop a dude poluting in a river. Like, you can burst a mountain from the ground, Earth dude, just with a wave of your hand. loving DO SOMETHING USEFUL.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

Was the baroness on GI Joe the expression of someone’s fetish, or just the unintentional origin of a bunch of people’s fetish?

In my experience it's usually both. See also: Slave Leia.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Randalor posted:

Speaking of "ripoff that came out earlier than Transformers", Challenge of the Gobots. The toys weren't THAT bad, and I remember the cartoon being enjoyably dumb (then again, so was The Transformers), but it did have one thing over The Transformers. More consistent female characters. Well, okay, I mean the psychobitch from Hell, Crasher, but that still counts, right?

Gobots were the 'we have transformers at home' of cartoons.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Tonka licensed the designs from a Japanese show called "Machine Robo" and just had a new show animated.
https://youtu.be/xl4IqLfzHwg

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Someone already replied but my guess was going to be a company that was either expecting or angling for a Transformer's toy contract and when they didn't get it said "okay, gently caress you" and just released their product anyway to compete.

It's insane because there's so much stuff from that era in the 80s where it exists because of how/why the toys were being made, like the He-Man lion with a saddle was just a repurposed existing toy that sold poorly and then became an iconic part of the show.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

From what I remember, GoBots was first. Gobots came out in 1983 and Transformers was '84.

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo

Laterite posted:

The super creepy sexual fetish thread (RIP) was a goldmine because there were a enough people for whom that animation was a sexual awakening that there is all sorts of hosed up poo poo to laugh at.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Laterite posted:

So THAT'S where Demver Girl comes from!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
so wait are his clothes part of him then?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Battletech cartoon probably belongs here. 13 episodes from the dawn of CGI (1994), and looking at it now it’s so awful that it might actually loop back around to being good again?

Either way, various sourcebook writers since have made the cartoon’s existence a part of the setting canon, as a House Steiner propaganda piece about how they convinced House Kurita to run a joint intelligence operation against the invading Clans.

e: the intro still makes me think of the smell of a machine shop :unsmith:

https://youtu.be/A-_-8D8R4CU

Icon Of Sin has a new favorite as of 09:37 on May 5, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

pentyne posted:

Someone already replied but my guess was going to be a company that was either expecting or angling for a Transformer's toy contract and when they didn't get it said "okay, gently caress you" and just released their product anyway to compete.

Eh, even disregarding that Gobots came out before Transformers, I'm going to doubt that just based on the fact that "robots that transform" was just such a popular concept in Japan that it's not surprising that two different companies would have picked up distribution rights for North America for different toy lines. I mean, Transformers itself was 2 different toy lines in Japan before Transformers took off, amd Tonka scored the Bandai contract. I'm not sure just how big Bandai was compared to Takera at the time, but it's entirely possible that it's the exact opposite, where Hasbro couldn't get the Machine Robo contract, so said "gently caress it" and went with the Takera toys.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

lord funk posted:

I'm still mad that the teenagers with RINGS OF ELEMENTAL POWER couldn't ever do poo poo to stop a dude poluting in a river. Like, you can burst a mountain from the ground, Earth dude, just with a wave of your hand. loving DO SOMETHING USEFUL.

The power to influence people and animals and they don't use the heart ring to just make them stop polluting

Honestly the part of captain planet that aged worse is how those supervillain plots are mostly just a Tuesday in the hellscape of 2023

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm honestly surprised Captain Planet hasn't gotten a gritty made-for-Netflix reboot.

Five eco-terrorists with different specializations (The Fire guy being a demolitions expert, the Wind type having a lock on airborne pathogens, etc), imply real heavily all throughout the season that Captain Planet is just a mascot for their cell/group until towards the end when they actually do need to summon him for the big :aaaaa: reveal.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

the_steve posted:

I'm honestly surprised Captain Planet hasn't gotten a gritty made-for-Netflix reboot.

Five eco-terrorists with different specializations (The Fire guy being a demolitions expert, the Wind type having a lock on airborne pathogens, etc), imply real heavily all throughout the season that Captain Planet is just a mascot for their cell/group until towards the end when they actually do need to summon him for the big :aaaaa: reveal.

Already a Rick & Morty episode, and a pretty bad one at that

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Len posted:

The power to influence people and animals and they don't use the heart ring to just make them stop polluting

If Captain Planet wiki is to be believed the villains are so corrupt heart doesn't work on them.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

If Captain Planet wiki is to be believed the villains are so corrupt heart doesn't work on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwJaELXadKo

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Asterite34 posted:

Already a Rick & Morty episode, and a pretty bad one at that

Not really, the power ring bearers in the R&M episode were a bunch of conniving assholes who wanted to sell their mascot to the highest bidder. But it was a bad episode, as most Morty relationship episodes are.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

the_steve posted:

It hasn't been for lack of trying:

quote:

Multiple attempts have been made to create a film adaptation of the series. The first occurred in 1996 when Boxer and Pyle wrote a film adaptation of Captain Planet originally titled Planet.Five years later, Michael Reaves revised the concept as Dark Planet or Planet. The storyline was darker than the series, and set in a post-apocalyptic time period. However, the script was lost when Turner and Warner Bros. merged in 1996. The film reached the design stage before it was abandoned.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Planet_and_the_Planeteers#Film

..... but the people who developed the cartoon really really believe in the message behind it which has been a barrier against people cashing in on it since inception: they insisted that merchandising tie-ins for the show had to be made sustainably, etc etc.. They also founded the Captain Planet Foundation and the Planeteer Movement which are both still active across the globe

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yeah, that.

And while the Heart ring could MAYBE work on regular people to get them to, like, recycle more and carpool or whatever...I think it sort of goes against the ethos of the Heart ring to use it for mass mind-control...

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

That's why Dick Cheney is immune. His real heart is in a phylactery somewhere. The one he uses day to day is one ripped from the body of an innocent.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

It hasn't been for lack of trying:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Planet_and_the_Planeteers#Film

..... but the people who developed the cartoon really really believe in the message behind it which has been a barrier against people cashing in on it since inception: they insisted that merchandising tie-ins for the show had to be made sustainably, etc etc.. They also founded the Captain Planet Foundation and the Planeteer Movement which are both still active across the globe

Off the top of my head there was also Robot Chicken where Captain Planet was Ted Turner in make up killing corporate execs and a Funny or Die where Don Cheadle uses his powers to turn humanity into trees.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i__ztikjTok

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

and a Funny or Die where Don Cheadle uses his powers to turn humanity into trees.

They did an entire series :ssh:

Here's part 2, the rest are all up on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL97QjGEx6s

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

pentyne posted:

It's insane because there's so much stuff from that era in the 80s where it exists because of how/why the toys were being made, like the He-Man lion with a saddle was just a repurposed existing toy that sold poorly and then became an iconic part of the show.

Wait, what?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

I would not want to see the shoe collection of Imelda Macross

Because Imelda Marcos was infamous for (among other more important things like grievous misdeeds against the people of the Philippines) her extensive shoe collection, and the SDF-1 Macross spaceship could turn into a robot mode with feet the size of city blocks, so Imelda Macross's shoe collection would have been about the volume of the Pacific ocean, you see

Phy has a new favorite as of 17:36 on May 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mad Hamish posted:

Wait, what?

There's a Netflix doco series called "The Toys That Made Us" and the episode on He-Man revealed that Battle Cat was a repurposed tiger from some other toy line with a repaint. It was way out of scale though, so they slapped a saddle on it