Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

I'm beginning to dread not reading another thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Stop or the hockey mod will come and close us down.

this time they'd be right

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You think they'd torpedo a thread over a few jokes?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wins32767 posted:

I'm beginning to dread not reading another thread.

eugh, this one is so gnarly

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Time to give this thread das boot.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
I, a fairly standard lurker that only reads this subforum on SA, have no idea what the preceding jokes are about. Someone want to fill me in, or is it just a bunch of puns I don't get?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Dunkin Doenitz

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tiny posted:

I, a fairly standard lurker that only reads this subforum on SA, have no idea what the preceding jokes are about. Someone want to fill me in, or is it just a bunch of puns I don't get?

I'll ping you later.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tiny posted:

It’s only two puns really.

Submarines sink underwater. They make dives. They are known as subs for short.

And dreadnoughts were the most modern type of battleship pre WW1.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

mllaneza posted:

I'll ping you later.

That's just not right. Being subtle when someone is asking for help is hitting below the waterline.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Tiny posted:

Much like a submarine, everything is happening over your head

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

ulmont posted:

One of the British navy's biggest anxieties during WWI was their big beefy dreadnoughts getting torpedoed by subs. You could say the pun had some layers.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mllaneza posted:

I'll ping you later.

we must give this poster a wide berth

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ulmont posted:

Fun fact, HMS Dreadnought's only combat action was ramming and sinking a German submarine.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

Parkingtigers posted:

Well, they wanted the guy who had sunk the most time into his career.

Ah, it's this as the original flashpoint. That was the context I was missing, I'll go back to lurking now. Carry on, gentlemen.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tiny posted:

Ah, it's this as the original flashpoint. That was the context I was missing, I'll go back to lurking now. Carry on, gentlemen.

Run silent, run deep, my friend.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

mllaneza posted:

I'll ping you later.

Tiny posted:

You are indirectly responsible for me going into convulsions. Bravo Zulu.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Tiny posted:

My apologies. I promise I won't be Donitz again.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Submarine puns? On page 688? Gentlemen, this is beneath you.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Plenty of new posts in this thread and for sure many things happening under the surface just now.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Do submarines have a "WOOP WOOP PULL UP!" alarm when approaching crush depth?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
I can't fathom a reason why they wouldn't.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

bennyfactor posted:

Stay classy, Los Angeles.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bennyfactor posted:

When it gets to page 949 it will never see the light of day again.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

wins32767 posted:

That's just not right. Being subtle when someone is asking for help is hitting below the waterline.

Below the belt also works I think

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Very funny to me that Prigozhin decides to show a literal field of corpses, but also to bleep out swearwords.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 5, 2023

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

Only if they're not in the deep sound channel

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

mllaneza posted:

Fun fact, HMS Dreadnought's only combat action was ramming and sinking a German submarine.

The RN's new SSBN class is also Dreadnought, with some other very ally names

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Cugel the Clever posted:

It's a WOOP WOOP PULL DOWN and it goes off when you are too close to the surface. I just assume some goons have a similar alarm for when they're about to make either a good post or life decision.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

I think all of the gauges start exploding, and rivets start shooting like bullets.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

spankmeister posted:

I think all of the gauges start exploding, and rivets start shooting like bullets.

nah man that's just movies, you just go *WHUMP* and then you are a smushed beercan, when water finds a way into the people tank at that depth the people tank goes crunch real quick.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

So Prigozhinbowl is on: Bakhmut withdrawal bluff or truth?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
He's been threatening it for a few weeks and the general consensus so far has been 'it will be regarded as mutiny if he does it' but who the gently caress knows right now.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Force de Fappe posted:

So Prigozhinbowl is on: Bakhmut withdrawal bluff or truth?

The real question is "can they hold it?" If their supplies are so low and their manpower so exhausted, they're probably really loving brittle and hanging on to what they have by their fingernails. The only reason they're really advancing at all is the Ukrainians are withdrawing, as it's not worth holding any longer.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

orange juche posted:

The only reason

I'm pretty sure there's more to this than one reason... Some of them completely unreasonable.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

orange juche posted:

nah man that's just movies, you just go *WHUMP* and then you are a smushed beercan, when water finds a way into the people tank at that depth the people tank goes crunch real quick.

also once the pressure hull collapses and water starts making its way in you will probably be blended by high pressure water jets.

Beats drowning, IMO

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
FTLA

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

Reading this in Werner Herzog's voice.

Wagner Hatehog

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Stravag posted:

Dunkin Doenitz

Mods?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

also once the pressure hull collapses and water starts making its way in you will probably be blended by high pressure water jets.

Beats drowning, IMO

The entire sub becomes a rapidly collapsing cavitation bubble, and the temperature inside of those is incredibly high. You'll be crushed, blended, and flash fried faster than the speed of sound. A hell of a way to go, but at least it happens faster than you can experience it.