Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Grape posted:

That's the Nosferatu looking little freak right?

fat Count Orlok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Russia is winning, by the way. He's merely playing 9d chess and falsely projecting weakness to trick the enemy when he says that they're out of ammo and all their troops are constantly being fed into an industrial shredder. Don't believe anything that a person with a British or American accent ever says about Ukraine because they're 100% lying perfidiously.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I think where Prigozhin's unhinged rant may stray from what is party-line acceptable, is the pile of bodies he uses to illustrate his premise. That's way off the Russian reservation. And the gay slur he throws at Shoigu and Gerasimov, instead of the normal "suka" might invite a phone call or two.

I admit that trying to distinguish between what is normal and abnormal about the Russian elite's behavior is a fool's errand but this vid seems a bit different.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Toxic Mental posted:

Russia is winning, by the way. He's merely playing 9d chess and falsely projecting weakness to trick the enemy when he says that they're out of ammo and all their troops are constantly being fed into an industrial shredder. Don't believe anything that a person with a British or American accent ever says about Ukraine because they're 100% lying perfidiously.

I mean, with Wagner falling from grace, he probably is getting a lot less than the rest of the army. Sucks to be him

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Toxic Mental posted:

Don't believe anything that a person with a British or American accent ever says about Ukraine because they're 100% lying perfidiously.
Except, of course for anyone with an American accent who is parroting your own talking points and claiming to be a military expert. Nevermind that they're a well-document MAGA fascist or a convicted child rapist—their anti-American rhetoric is ironclad. Unlike all those sheep in the liberal and faux-left media!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1654279938495635456

lol lmao

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Deki posted:

I mean, with Wagner falling from grace, he probably is getting a lot less than the rest of the army. Sucks to be him

He's really mad that the Ministry of Defense is loving Wagner by

Giving them the same allotment of ammo and supplies as other front line units. Prior to that Wagner was getting all the best goodies first, now they're stuck in the poo poo with the other barely equipped mobiks

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I'm really sorry to saunter in and ask about something I assume has had much discussion already, but is there anywhere I can read about the plausibility of Ukraine actually been able to launch a drone attack all the way to Moscow, because I've seen lots of theorizing that it might be a con job by the Russians to try and make it seem like Ukraine can threaten major Russian cities to scare the public and also show that cool tough manly man Vladimir Putin is basically on the front line dodging CIA robot assassins.

Like people are either mocking Moscows air defence as hopeless for not stopping this or suggesting that it was an inside job for something that should have been stopped much earlier. Is that reasonable though when we are talking about drones?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

khwarezm posted:

I'm really sorry to saunter in and ask about something I assume has had much discussion already, but is there anywhere I can read about the plausibility of Ukraine actually been able to launch a drone attack all the way to Moscow, because I've seen lots of theorizing that it might be a con job by the Russians to try and make it seem like Ukraine can threaten major Russian cities to scare the public and also show that cool tough manly man Vladimir Putin is basically on the front line dodging CIA robot assassins.

Like people are either mocking Moscows air defence as hopeless for not stopping this or suggesting that it was an inside job for something that should have been stopped much earlier. Is that reasonable though when we are talking about drones?

Nobody knows anything. It's all guesses. Some are more plausible than others. Nobody knows who, how or why.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Wasn't there some kind of bounty for getting a plane or drone into the Kremlin zone? Someone might have proven it for cred.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The reality of modern drones is such that it could have been some random schmuck who wasn't even following the conflict.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

khwarezm posted:

No worries, I don't think there's been a lot and it's a fair question besides.
There are drones that have the range to make it all the way there from uncontested Ukrainian land, but what was presented in the video looks way too small to have that kind of range. that doesn't distinguish between "super secret Ukrainian operators launched it from nearby" and "Russian antiwar partisans launched it from nearby" and "sincere Russian patriots launched it from nearby as part of a false flag operation", though.

Some Russian systems, in particular missile-based ones like Buk, S-300/400, and friends would be incredibly wasteful choices for such a small target if they're even able to get a lock: they're made to run down and destroy manned interceptors, much larger objects going much faster. Lighter missiles (Pantsir) and gun-based systems plausibly could have, but they are shorter range themselves, meaning you need many more of them to produce similar coverage.

It depends how far away the drone was launched from, too. If it took off a mile away, that's not much time to detect it and decide to launch. Regardless of whether their remaining in-country air defense "should have" caught the drone or how far it was launched from, it's embarrassing for them that it made it through.

Both "this demonstrates Moscow's air defense is utterly hopeless" and "this must have been a false flag inside job" are a bit hyperbolic. Both are possible right now imo, but all I can really say from the footage is the drone looks like it was probably launched from inside Russian territory, and that doesn't rule out Ukrainians.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
is wagner even that hurting for arty shells? it seems like everything ive read says that russia outguns ukraine in artillery in the main combat zones

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zippy the Bummer posted:

is wagner even that hurting for arty shells? it seems like everything ive read says that russia outguns ukraine in artillery in the main combat zones

Everyone always needs more ammo. It's the most common complaint among combatant commanders during wartime, followed closely by fuel and finally food.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cugel the Clever posted:

The reality of modern drones is such that it could have been some random schmuck who wasn't even following the conflict.

That's my idle guess, just some rando Russian/Ukrainian.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Ukraine absolutely has drones that can reach that distance. They've launched several of them in the recent weeks and they were found outside of Moscow. They can do it, whether they DID do it is what's up for debate. Any number of drones could have done that, but this particular model used in the two Kremlin explosions ended up being narrowed down to two possible models: one which was Ukraine's home-grown design and which is being manufactured, and a generic Chinese quadcopter type that is ubiquitous and easily bought by civilians. One has the innate range to carry the attack off, the other very much does not and would have to be launched from within about 1-2 miles of the Kremlin to still be in range and controllable. That opens the door to Ukraine, a Russian false flag, a Russian anti-war partisan, or nato globohomo supersoldiers

Rather good plausible deniability if I might say so

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The drones are pretty clearly quadrotors from the footage, that limits them to being launched locally due to the range constraints and opens up possibilities its anyone ranging from ultra nats mad at putin hes not genociding hard enough, anti war activists, nato/ukrainian spies or the russian state doing a false flag.

I would suggest it's local agitators rather than spies. The Ukraine secret services would actually know how to make and fit a drone bomb that would do damage, and as a russian false flag its incredibly embarrassing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/bbcstever/status/1654364944295501824

Steve Rosenberg is a BBC reporter still living in Moscow and he provides interesting insights into daily life in Russia, by highlighting what the newspapers are writing, or in this case the general mood in Moscow in the run up to the May 9 celebrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hey remember those Finnish people who did some light treason for the Russians? And how they tried to get into the Parliament on the rolls of the Power Belongs to the People party? And how there was evidence that the whole party was on Putin's payroll as useful idiots? Well, they're back in the news again.

Yle.fi posted:

The chairman of the fractured PBTTP party believed he could win the elections. Now he says Nasa is lying about the earth being round and about the results of the Finnish elections

Before the parliamentary election, the outgoing representative and chairman of the Power Belongs to the People party, Ano Turtiainen, summed up comments and poll numbers. He reached the conclusion that it was likely his party would end up as the biggest in Finland with 40 seats in the Parliament.

Even cautiously taken, this was a very optimistic estimation. In pre-election polls the party's support was so small, that it was grouped in with 15 other small parties who combined reached a total of 3,3% of support.

The party is badly fractured
In January 2022's county elections PBTTP won big and gained a 1,3 percent support rating in the country, netting itself 10 seats on local governments. Then, in February, Russia invaded Ukraine. Turtiainen placed his public support behind Russia.

[snipped a lot of stuff about how the party's leadership aren't on speaking terms anymore due to Turtiainen's views and "spouting disinformation]

The party's chairman remains silent, except on social media videos

Ano Turtiainen himself has not responded to Yle's requests by phone, text message or email. Turtiainen has been approached repeatedly to comment on things, including the findings presented in this article.

However, on a YouTube video published on the 4th of May, he comments that "he couldn't care less to comment on the issue".

He is frequently updating his channel. In his videos he has promised Jesus' second coming, and demanded that "Russia secure Finland's elections". He has also presented a prophecy which proclaims that Russia will conquer Eastern and Northern Finland, and then hold new democratic elections in those areas.

The party's active membership have raised an eyebrow over Turtiainen's new, supposedly based on the Bible, claims that the earth is flat and the sun revolves around it. The party's chairman has also demanded that Russia intervene in Finland's elections.

So this is Putin's useful idiot number n in Finland. I have to say I do like that he's kind of localizing the QAnon poo poo he's clearly scooping in from the United States. The EVIL DEMOCRATS (other parties) STOLE HIS ELECTION, AND ONLY THE BRAVE ELECTORS (RUSSIA) CAN HELP RESTORE HIM TO POWER!

What's really interesting is that these people whose entire identity is built around FINLAND FOR FINNS bullshit are bending over backwards in front of Russia. I know it's too much to expect any kind of logical consistency from these idiots, but you'd think our brave super patriots wouldn't be sucking hose on behalf of the country that invaded us and has repeatedly threatened to nuke us to hell. I don't know what would be sadder, him and his party being on Putin's payroll, or just doing this poo poo for free because it just makes sense for them.

E: oh and about NASA, he's apparently literally claiming that they have stolen 150 000 votes from his party. He believes that Finland outsourced the tallying of our parliamentary election votes to NASA, and they intentionally stole 150 000 votes from him for ~reasons~ that somehow tie in with them suppressing the truth about the Earth being flat.

Just the best people.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 5, 2023

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Hey remember those Finnish people who did some light treason for the Russians? And how they tried to get into the Parliament on the rolls of the Power Belongs to the People party? And how there was evidence that the whole party was on Putin's payroll as useful idiots? Well, they're back in the news again.

So this is Putin's useful idiot number n in Finland. I have to say I do like that he's kind of localizing the QAnon poo poo he's clearly scooping in from the United States. The EVIL DEMOCRATS (other parties) STOLE HIS ELECTION, AND ONLY THE BRAVE ELECTORS (RUSSIA) CAN HELP RESTORE HIM TO POWER!

What's really interesting is that these people whose entire identity is built around FINLAND FOR FINNS bullshit are bending over backwards in front of Russia. I know it's too much to expect any kind of logical consistency from these idiots, but you'd think our brave super patriots wouldn't be sucking hose on behalf of the country that invaded us and has repeatedly threatened to nuke us to hell.

E: oh and about NASA, he's apparently literally claiming that they have stolen 150 000 votes from his party. He believes that Finland outsourced the tallying of our parliamentary election votes to NASA, and they intentionally stole 150 000 votes from him for ~reasons~.

Just the best people.

now imagining folks on the ISS bitterly complaining about all the goddamn ballots floating around they can't use or discard.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Refinery in Krasnodar region was attacked again

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1654382149519171586

the popes toes posted:

“Shoigu! Gerasimov! Where are the loving shells!”

“Look at them, you bitches! (…) you sit in expensive clubs (…) your children make YouTube videos (…) you think you have the right to dispose of their [Wagner fighters] lives (…) they came here as volunteers and died so you could gorge yourselves in your offices.”

I'm assuming a full translation will be coming out soon presumably before Prigozhin falls out a window.

The initial part of the vid showing Wagner corpses was omitted but can be found elsewhere. The edited vid is embedded in the tweet below.

https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1654257451330404354?cxt=HHwWhIC8meWYjfUtAAAA

:lol: Poor guy Prigozhin, seizing gold and diamond mines in Africa with his PMC, embezzling millions from school lunches that cause dysentery. It's literally that meme of shooting guy in the chair. Wagner sends human waves against entrenched enemy, then asks "Why would Shoigu do this?"

also

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

What's really interesting is that these people whose entire identity is built around FINLAND FOR FINNS bullshit are bending over backwards in front of Russia. I know it's too much to expect any kind of logical consistency from these idiots, but you'd think our brave super patriots wouldn't be sucking hose on behalf of the country that invaded us and has repeatedly threatened to nuke us to hell. I don't know what would be sadder, him and his party being on Putin's payroll, or just doing this poo poo for free because it just makes sense for them.
I am seeing a pattern, we have the exactly same kind of idiots here.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 5, 2023

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

the popes toes posted:

I think where Prigozhin's unhinged rant may stray from what is party-line acceptable, is the pile of bodies he uses to illustrate his premise. That's way off the Russian reservation. And the gay slur he throws at Shoigu and Gerasimov, instead of the normal "suka" might invite a phone call or two.

I admit that trying to distinguish between what is normal and abnormal about the Russian elite's behavior is a fool's errand but this vid seems a bit different.

It's interesting because Prigozhin is supposed to be besties with Putin which raises questions as to why the Russian MoD is being permitted to apparently hang him out to dry. It would certainly be within Putin's power to ensure his chef's PMC is getting enough materiel.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Forget the shells, first Uncle Fester should be more alarmed at the recent heavy losses among Russian artillery. If this keeps up, there won't be any need of shells because the artillery units themselves will be completely gone.

gay picnic defence posted:

It's interesting because Prigozhin is supposed to be besties with Putin which raises questions as to why the Russian MoD is being permitted to apparently hang him out to dry. It would certainly be within Putin's power to ensure his chef's PMC is getting enough materiel.
This was indeed the case until very recently. There's a huge lack of shells across pretty much the whole frontline, and Wagner has to make do with the same amount of shells the rest of the conventional Russian army was getting. It didn't help that him directly insulting Gerasimov and Shoigu led to this debacle in the first place. Insulting them the way they did and banging on about his political ambitions made it evident that he had ideas above his station, and Putin doesn't like that. Also you should remember that Putin values Gerasimov and Shoigu more than he does Count Orlok, especially Shoigu who might basically be Putin's only real friend in the world.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

Letting the Tsar's ministers and advisors fight amongst themselves is useful because it elevates the Tsar above his cabinet of bickering children, absolving him of responsibility for their mistakes, and he can let the fight play out to weed out the ones with ambition.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

spankmeister posted:

Letting the Tsar's ministers and advisors fight amongst themselves is useful because it elevates the Tsar above his cabinet of bickering children, absolving him of responsibility for their mistakes, and he can let the fight play out to weed out the ones with ambition.
It's also Dictatorship 101 - setting your powerful underlings sniping away at each other means they're less likely to come together in an effort to oust you.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1654397764569104384
LoZers are headed off to lick their wounds after declaring they're leaving Bakhmut on the 10th.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1654397764569104384
LoZers are headed off to lick their wounds after declaring they're leaving Bakhmut on the 10th.

Was wondering why after his meltdown he didn't just pull out of Bakhmut.

I suspect Prigozhin is going to get depressed over failing Russia and unexpectedly fall out of a window in the near future.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1654212621128675328
Pigozhin has some brass balls hiring this guy right out of the gate of him being fired from his job.

Watch the loss of Bakhmut get pinned on him.

Speaking of Wagner, do they have their own artillery batteries which are sitting idle as they get no ammo or are all his requests for fire missions from the regular Russian forces being ignored/denied?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

They should leave the 9th, on victory day

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

FMguru posted:

It's also Dictatorship 101 - setting your powerful underlings sniping away at each other means they're less likely to come together in an effort to oust you.

honestly if you want to examine russian politics and understand it better, having a solid understanding of how to keep feudal vassals in line to avoid being overthrown in crusader kings 3 is a very strong training tool for aspiring kremlinologists

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It would be very Russian / Soviet to, upon meeting the lowest possible criteria for capturing the city, immediately get up and go home. Task has been completed, nobody said anything about any follow ups.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

CeeJee posted:

Watch the loss of Bakhmut get pinned on him.

Speaking of Wagner, do they have their own artillery batteries which are sitting idle as they get no ammo or are all his requests for fire missions from the regular Russian forces being ignored/denied?

They have their own artillery, but not a whole lot, most of the fire/armor support is done by the local VDV with artillery and IFVs.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Dwesa posted:

I am seeing a pattern, we have the exactly same kind of idiots here.

Well, I'm glad to see that ideological incoherence isn't simply something found in people claiming to be Communists and full-throatedly supporting an imperial invasion, it can be found in the psycho-nutters of the right!

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
https://twitter.com/protasm19751/status/1654413521835229185

An intercepted Kinzhal, this would be interesting if confirmed.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

steinrokkan posted:

It would be very Russian / Soviet to, upon meeting the lowest possible criteria for capturing the city, immediately get up and go home. Task has been completed, nobody said anything about any follow ups.
I thought they "captured" Bakhmut when they captured that ruined administrative building and planted flag on it. I suppose it doesn't even count by Russian standards :shrug:

CeeJee posted:

https://twitter.com/protasm19751/status/1654413521835229185

An intercepted Kinzhal, this would be interesting if confirmed.
Huh, unconfirmed, but maybe Patriot intercepted it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Drone_Fragger posted:

as a russian false flag its incredibly embarrassing.

*going over the checklist*
"3x Sims, it says?"

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Alright I'll take the plunge, what's the origin of all these Sims references? They just really love The Sims a lot in Russia?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There was a very obviously faked uh Ukrainian agent thing

https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-agents-the-sims-video-game-sting-operation-2022-4

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Monstaland posted:

Alright I'll take the plunge, what's the origin of all these Sims references? They just really love The Sims a lot in Russia?

Back when that one propagandist's daughter got bombed to hell, the Russians apprehended the supposed culprits, who were supposedly Ukrainian secret agents, arrested with nazi flags and poo poo, and also copies of Sims 3. Presumably because someone had instructed the NVKD agents that the should plant SIM cards in the patsy's apartment and signals got crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Aahh I see!