Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

anilEhilated posted:

The Golden Idol DLC's out, y'all. It's very good but also very short (beat it in less than two hours) - but hey, it's more Golden idol.

A++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hey folks, I got my Steam Deck! :yay:

So I wanna add emulators to my system, what Emulators for the Steam deck do you recommend. And Out of curiosity, How far ahead can the steam deck handle? PS2?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

It can cover the switch, and in some cases works better than the switch, but you're going to have a better time in the deck thread where they have a bunch of beginner guides.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973713&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey folks, I got my Steam Deck! :yay:

So I wanna add emulators to my system, what Emulators for the Steam deck do you recommend. And Out of curiosity, How far ahead can the steam deck handle? PS2?
I haven't tried Switch yet personally, but everything I've tried up to and including Wii U runs great, and I haven't needed to go above 7-10W TDP on an emulator yet. Most run 60fps at 3-5W TDP. The Deck's an emulation powerhouse. The one-stop shop for emulation is EmuDeck, which will set up emulators for everything under the sun automatically - you'll still need to provide copyrighted stuff like BIOSes and encryption keys yourself, but it handles all the downloading, installation, and basic configuration itself. If you prefer a more self-guided exploration you can just download and try out emulators off the Discover store in desktop mode. It's called a store but AFAICT most stuff is free, and that's where EmuDeck will download the emulators from anyways.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

gonna be stuck in bed a while so was poking at my Gabe Gear, and Cult of the Lamb came up

when that first released i got the impression that it was cute, kinda fun, but kinda shallow, really easy, and really buggy. i figure the bugs're fixed by now but any thoughts on the rest?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I know they did a big QOL patch that added some new buildings and stuff very recently, but I loved it even in its early form so may want to read into the changes for anything specific you didn't like. Haven't seen a bug myself, though.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Rookersh posted:

This is always such a weird thing for me.

Like FF14 forces you to pay monthly, and it takes a month of dailies to unlock one of the "free" mounts. So it's not free. It's paying $15 for the joy of doing lovely side missions for 30 days to get a $15 "earnable" mount. Almost all the mounts are gated in this way. RNG drops are scarce, and unless you dramatically outlevel the content it's going to take awhile to get RNG in your favor.

Yet that's hailed as such a customer facing move, wheras ESO gets railed at for selling them for like $7. It's all just weird psych bullshit.

Especially because why does it always come back down to mounts? Why do mounts loving matter so much. Why does cash shop poo poo matter so much to people. What's wrong with just the horse.

mounts are cool

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
lol wtf why
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOmky34JgZ8

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

we'll spell Dark with a que IT'LL BE AWESOME!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Where’s my Messiah sequel then

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Rookersh posted:

This is always such a weird thing for me.

Like FF14 forces you to pay monthly, and it takes a month of dailies to unlock one of the "free" mounts. So it's not free. It's paying $15 for the joy of doing lovely side missions for 30 days to get a $15 "earnable" mount. Almost all the mounts are gated in this way. RNG drops are scarce, and unless you dramatically outlevel the content it's going to take awhile to get RNG in your favor.

Yet that's hailed as such a customer facing move, wheras ESO gets railed at for selling them for like $7. It's all just weird psych bullshit.

Especially because why does it always come back down to mounts? Why do mounts loving matter so much. Why does cash shop poo poo matter so much to people. What's wrong with just the horse.

The type of people who obsess over mounts love he game so much that doing a month of dailies is fun.

Also, if you're completely broke brained (like I was) you can do 4 sets of dailies per day, so that's 4 mounts for 15bux if you consider your time to be worthless.

I guess the difference is that ESO is a mostly F2P model and follows that setup. Which can feel scummy because F2P is most profitable when it's designed to appeal to whales.

That said FFXIV has plenty of limited time and cash shop only mounts on top of the sub fee so. lol.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 4, 2023

Estel
May 4, 2010

ShadowMan was a cool and good metroidvania, except if you played it on PS then it was poo poo, so it will be nice to see a ShadowMan 2 (ShadowMan:2econd Coming doesn't count ).

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've been enjoying Shadow Man now that I'm back to it after Live a Live but have no hope for a sequel/reboot or whatever because that game company makes NFT games.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

The Golden Idol DLC's out, y'all. It's very good but also very short (beat it in less than two hours) - but hey, it's more Golden idol.

Yep beat it in about the same time but I consider it still worth the money. And by the wording on the announcement and the way it's set up in game leads me to believe there's gonna be more, similar-sized chunks on the way.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Upsidads posted:

Yeah but does she eat people whole and is there feet dlc?

I made her eat twenty squads of cavalry in the same battle while yelling "BIG MOMMY HUNGRY" and giggling to myself.

8/10.

If you find making squads fun, it's fun.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

fit em all up in there posted:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/platinum-collection-build-your-own-bundle

Fanatical collection Platinum collection for May 2023:(3 for $9.99/5 for $14.99/7 for $19.99)

Fanatical star deal: Star Wars collection - $19.49 (14 Star Wars games)

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/star-wars-collection

21 hours on that star deal

I’d like to get Chronicon out of that Fanatical deal, is there anything else in it worth playing?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

OzFactor posted:

I’d like to get Chronicon out of that Fanatical deal, is there anything else in it worth playing?
There's nothing else in there that intersects with the tastes of ARPG fans, although there are a few quality games. the Metro 2033/Last Light 2-pack is a solid pair of narrative shooters. Ghost of a Tale is a charming stealth adventure where you're a mouse in a redwally setting. Shenmue 3 is an absolute trainwreck but might be worth marvelling at for a couple of hours. Unruly Heroes I think is by former Rayman Origins artists but I don't know how good the game is.

Honestly they've had better Platinum build-a-bundles

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Black Mesa is $5

https://store.steampowered.com/app/362890/Black_Mesa/

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Yep beat it in about the same time but I consider it still worth the money. And by the wording on the announcement and the way it's set up in game leads me to believe there's gonna be more, similar-sized chunks on the way.

Yup, that's the plan. At least another pack of scenarios is definitely planned.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

It's so good, I recently finished it.
Played the original HL1 then Black Mesa back-to-back for comparison. Xen was actually good! if not a bit too long...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've installed the LudoNarraCon demos of: Death Trick, The Invincible, Loco Motive, Demonschool, The Star Named Eos, Cryptmaster, Paper Ghost Stories, Harmony: the Fall of Reverie, Stray Gods, Mythwrecked, and Kitsune: The Journey of Adashino

since the event only runs until the 8th, I'll try to play the demos this weekend

e: currently though I'm busy cleaning Lara Croft's manor and being a dreadful templar

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 5, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

nthing the playtime and worthiness. Was fun to poke around in that world again and make some further deductions.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Rookersh posted:

Because mounts are just another thing you can sell to people. That's also why mounts are a thing in Diablo 4, a series that did just fine without them for 3 games. From what I've played of the Diablo 4 beta, they seem to have made the maps huge stretches of nothing so you will need a mount to cross them efficiently, and I fully expect there to be a shop full of the things.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

bloodborne with more guns, surely

Then it would be American Bloodborne then. :freep: :911:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Especially because why does it always come back down to mounts? Why do mounts loving matter so much.

They're large and visible and can have lots of greebles and particle effects attached to them, while not screwing around with the actual combat gameplay.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Why do cool cosmetic/collectibles matter in games where looking cool and showing off rare things is something the vast majority of the playerbase enjoys? :iiam:

"Well I personally don't care about them." OK, cool. This is, however, not anywhere near the average experience for people playing, an average experience that explains why MMO devs/publishers have found it to be a great source of revenue to decouple status symbols (or, for others, simply things they enjoy looking at while playing) from gameplay and charge money for them instead.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 5, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

When WoW was originally released, the first die-hard grinders to get epic mounts on a server would park themselves right by the city gates so 14-year olds could be awed by how cool they were. I think folks are nostalgic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any ARPG where you need a mount to move around, instead of making the actual character's movement dynamic and fun, is just a total failure of game design.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Any ARPG where you need a mount to move around, instead of making the actual character's movement dynamic and fun, is just a total failure of game design.

You know what was messed up? The original Baldur's Gate, from the 90's, actually had horses, but your characters couldn't ride them. This was very disappointing to me as a child.

At least Fallout 2 had a car, and the car had its own wicked soundtrack.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

FO76 almost did something extremely cool by adding wheelchairs but they only made them placeables and didn't theme them. A road warrior-esque off-road wheelchair as a mount would have been unique and fun.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

exquisite tea posted:

Marvel heroes movement powers 💯

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

FastestGunAlive posted:

I miss that game so much. Even all the little voice-acting barks were fantastic and flavourful and it didn't try to take itself too seriously. And you could have Pizza Dog.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

God, I wanted to like No Straight Roads so bad, I even bought it on EGS because I loved the concept and was happy enough to support a smaller dev/publisher. But it's just...not good. The music integration into the fights is spotty. The boss encounters are fun (when they don't revolve around the least satisfying shooting mechanic I've ever experienced in a game), but they didn't have enough faith in a boss rush game, so there's platforming and exploration sections that are just dire. Music's decent, though, if your taste is video game poisoned like mine is, haha. I keep a couple of tracks on a workout playlist.

NSR crawled so Hi-Fi Rush could run.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

I played Marvel Heroes very infrequently over years and between one time and another they took away Hulk’s ability to just infinitely Hulk jump from one side of the screen to the other and I’m still mad about it.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Fruits of the sea posted:

When WoW was originally released, the first die-hard grinders to get epic mounts on a server would park themselves right by the city gates so 14-year olds could be awed by how cool they were. I think folks are nostalgic.

Does hardcore raiding still exist in modern WoW?

I feel kind of sad got them because the mounts they usually show off are a result of spending 10-20+ hours a week for multiple weeks for a cosmetic item that a year later anyone can get.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Boxman posted:

God, I wanted to like No Straight Roads so bad, I even bought it on EGS because I loved the concept and was happy enough to support a smaller dev/publisher. But it's just...not good. The music integration into the fights is spotty. The boss encounters are fun (when they don't revolve around the least satisfying shooting mechanic I've ever experienced in a game), but they didn't have enough faith in a boss rush game, so there's platforming and exploration sections that are just dire. Music's decent, though, if your taste is video game poisoned like mine is, haha. I keep a couple of tracks on a workout playlist.

NSR crawled so Hi-Fi Rush could run.

I still prefer the world and story of NSR. From what i played HiFi Rush is just has combat with rhythm/ music, rather than a music game.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Orv posted:

I played Marvel Heroes very infrequently over years and between one time and another they took away Hulk’s ability to just infinitely Hulk jump from one side of the screen to the other and I’m still mad about it.

Yea they nerfed movement powers at one point. I think I’d stopped playing by then.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FYI if you're into Wildermyth they just put out the DLC yesterday to add a bunch of new armors, transformations, and accessories to find as rewards and it's great to have more choice when crafting armors. Some of them have neat gimmicks when worn too so it's not just variations of armor points. I've been playing through campaigns with a buddy over steam remote play with us picking party members to control and taking turns and it's a ton of fun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wildermyth is really good. It has a very interesting unique magic system that I haven't seen anywhere else and I'm always a fan of games that can manage to create an emergent/procedural story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Not sure where else to post this, but I've bought and downloaded the Episode 2 DLC for Coffee Talk, but it's not showing up in-game. It still just says "Episode 2 available now for purchase!" etc. What can I do to fix this?

e: Oh duh, I had to manually search for it in my Steam library for it to show up. It's apparently registered to my account as a separate game, not DLC for the original game. :doh:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 5, 2023