Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

maffew buildings posted:

You're American, you NEVER apologize for not knowing the basics of anything outside of football, beer, big trucks and FREEDOM

New country motto: "Nunquam ignorationem tuam excusa."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

maffew buildings posted:

You're American, you NEVER apologize for not knowing the basics of anything outside of football, beer, big trucks and FREEDOM

:patriot:

Coming up on my year mark for the last one!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2023/05/03/a-very-good-girl-deploys-on-carrier-ford-sage-the-therapy-dog/

I saw this yesterday and immediately came up with half a dozen reasons why this was a stupid rear end decision.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2023/05/03/a-very-good-girl-deploys-on-carrier-ford-sage-the-therapy-dog/

I saw this yesterday and immediately came up with half a dozen reasons why this was a stupid rear end decision.

*every sailor onboard, simultaneously* "WE NEED LESS TIME AT SEA, NOT A loving DOG"

I would go pet the dog tho.

E: I just thought "they should have had dogs on submarines, then I realized that would be an insanely cruel and hosed up thing to do to most dogs :(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Elviscat posted:

*every sailor onboard, simultaneously* "WE NEED LESS TIME AT SEA, NOT A loving DOG"

I would go pet the dog tho.

E: I just thought "they should have had dogs on submarines, then I realized that would be an insanely cruel and hosed up thing to do to most dogs :(

If only they made smaller, more sedentary dogs that enjoyed enclosed spaces like boxes. Maybe a different animal altogether, one with an ancient naval tradition behind it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Letting cats aboard submarines would result in their learning to get the zoomies, knock over anything that can make a hot noise, and/or start yowling at the mention of "ultra-quiet."

You'd be letting a tiny yet highly effective agent of chaos aboard. Also woe be tied to anyone who's deathly allergic to cats.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I don't know if an emotional support turtle would be as effective.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Yeah they should have half a dozen dogs instead.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
They used to have boat cats on submarines, I was told. Wasn't sure I believed what I was being told but it seemed plausible

Edit: yeah it looks like they had dogs and cats during wwII

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

A.o.D. posted:

If only they made smaller, more sedentary dogs that enjoyed enclosed spaces like boxes. Maybe a different animal altogether, one with an ancient naval tradition behind it.

goat? :chiefsay:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

From Patrick O'Brian; a sailor has performed the beast with two backs and six feet on the ship's goat.

quote:

'Why will they report these things? The goat must be slaughtered - that's but fair - and it shall be served out to the mess that informed on him.'
‘Well,’ said Jack, whose anger had died down. ‘Perhaps there is something in what you propose. A dish of tea? You take milk, sir?’
‘Goat’s milk, sir?’
‘Why, I suppose it is.’
‘Perhaps without milk, then, if you please.'

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

We "adopted" a stray tabby when we were in Guam and named him "Crash Meowntain".

They wouldn't let us take him underway tho.

E: lost the SD card with pictures of sailors standing around petting Crash, so here's another kitty.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 5, 2023

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah they should have half a dozen dogs instead.

The only two good reasons for this are:

1) Pics of the bejeweled good girl in boots, doggles and hearing protection.
2) Petting the good girl.

Everything else is nonskid and knee-knockers and just why. My shins have bone chips from knee knockers.

E: We had this conversation at work yesterday and the first response was unequivocally 😨 for her feet.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 6, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My bone chips from the Navy is in my knee from falling out of my rack blackout drunk in Scotland, and one in my skull, along with some nasty scar tissue, from the water tight door.

Also, I stepped foot on a submarine for the last time 1 year ago! :feelsgood:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

SquirrelyPSU posted:

The only two good reasons for this are:

1) Pics of the bejeweled good girl in boots, doggles and hearing protection.
2) Petting the good girl.

Everything else is nonskid and knee-knockers and just why. My shins have bone chips from knee knockers.

E: We had this conversation at work yesterday and the first response was unequivocally 😨 for her feet.

Yeah, as much as I would love to have some dogs around on a boat, that has to be a really lovely environment for them. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, as much as I would love to have some dogs around on a boat, that has to be a really lovely environment for them. :(

I’m in Manhattan and the fact that anyone owns a loving dog on this island that doesn’t like…live directly next to Central Park is a goddamn crime against dogs. So yeah. A ship dog would be worse.

And I’m not even a dog person.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Dogs wouldn't do well on a ship long term, but ship cats being back would be a blast. We could even come up with a punny rank or a cat-themed rate for the cats, bigger boats could have a whole kitty hierarchy, mouser 3rd class, mouser 1st class, meowster chief, etc.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Pussy Officer First Class Meowster J. Nip.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
There are plenty of cuddly animals that can do fine in enclosed spaces. Have a room full of rabbits to go relax in. Let work centers have a hamster. poo poo, there's already a space called the Gerbil Gym, just put some actual gerbils in there.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

If you don't tell anyone, you could have a secret squirrel-space inside your secret-squirrel space!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

There are plenty of cuddly animals that can do fine in enclosed spaces. Have a room full of rabbits to go relax in. Let work centers have a hamster. poo poo, there's already a space called the Gerbil Gym, just put some actual gerbils in there.

Rabbits are bad luck on ships cause they’ll eat natural fiber ropes.

Gerbils and such will get into wiring.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

There are plenty of cuddly animals that can do fine in enclosed spaces. Have a room full of rabbits to go relax in.

Excellent, real life's tribble.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Cats would be a horrible idea for modern subs. I have no doubt they would cause all kinds of sound shorts.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Verify range to target. One pspspspsps only, please.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Pussy Officer First Class Meowster J. Nip.

Myeowman Whiskers von Mauser

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Myeowman Whiskers von Mauser

Whisker Nimitz
Bull Pawsley
Purrnest J King
Catmirl Leahy

William Purrnell
John Paw Jones
David Farracat
Straymond Spruance

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

piL posted:

Whisker Nimitz
Bull Pawsley
Purrnest J King
Catmirl Leahy

William Purrnell
John Paw Jones
David Farracat
Straymond Spruance

Very disappointed that Arleigh Purrke didn't make its way in here.

Or (and I know this is a stretch and also kinda :hmmno:) Stephen Declawtur.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Chief Petting Meowfficer

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Very disappointed that Arleigh Purrke didn't make its way in here.

Or (and I know this is a stretch and also kinda :hmmno:) Stephen Declawtur.

I stared at both names' inspirations for 15 minutes before just posting. I'm embarrassed about missing Arleigh Purrke especially.

Edit:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Mouser_to_the_Cabinet_Office

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_(cat)

piL fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 7, 2023

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Chestpurr Nimitz

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Charles Clawkwood

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

McNally posted:

Charles Clawkwood

Jimmy Clawter
Alfred Thayer Maowthan
Alan Shedard

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Oliver Hazard Purry
Elmeow Zulmwalt
Puurtis Wilbur
Whiskers S. Puurchill
Furrest Sherman
Unsinkable Sam II

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Let's get into some fictional ones.

Tom "Nicecat" Katzansky

Pete "Maverlick" Scritchill (edited this one)

Captain Murrell writes itself from The Enemy Below for a submarine cat.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 7, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Grace Keyboard Hoppezsjtwitsoyxoyditeitx

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ded posted:

Cats would be a horrible idea for modern subs. I have no doubt they would cause all kinds of sound shorts.

*furiously documenting the frequency difference between Russian and US cats*

That trace there? Classic Russian Blue, fire torpedoes.

Also,

The Purrivans
John F(eline) Kennedy

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Montel Trilliams

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Purrman G. Mouseover

Father of the Mewclear Navy

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Put the litter box in AMR and no one will know when it's time to clean it.

I am an old sailor so I don't know if the newfangled boats still use amine or have an Aux Machine Room or who moved my cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Still got AMRs and scrubbers, the newer scrubbers are way, way better at keeping the amine out of the air though.

Unless your a-gang can't figure out how to fix a mech seal, so they slowly blast the entire amine tank into the atmosphere over a ~30 day underway.