Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I don’t think you understood their post at all.
There's a very specific reason for the first two words in my post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You wanted to change the topic?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Sure, why not, twin movie discussion is old hat.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Should we compare hats then?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Eh, seems like a bad date.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Starting out with a fez? You got moxie, kid.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
"If you want to get a head, get a hat" — Master of the Flying Guillotine.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That happened a lot in the nineties. Armageddon and Deep Impact, Bug’s Life and Antz, Mission to Mars and Red Planet, etc. They even made competing movies about loving Steve Prefontaine.

And Truman Capote! Though not in the 90s.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Yeah, and his gimmick was that he was covered in nicotine patches and chewing the gum as well.

My aunt was like that! Wearing a patch, chewing nicotine gum, and still smoking. And then wondering why she was getting dizzy spells.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I liked that in "Thank You for Smoking," some low-key anti-smoking "terrorists"* try to kill Aaron Eckart's character by putting dozens and dozens of nicotine patches on him.

He only survived because he was a smoker and had a high tolerance to nicotine.

*I'm not sure if they really qualify as terrorists, but not sure what else to call them...they DID attempt a murder, after-all.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Or when the transit official is carrying out the unconscious train driver. The metal supports are melting but the guy can still breathe.

Wasn't there also a scene where a truck is magically driving over lava & the tires/rims don't melt? :lol:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
On the other end of the spectrum, I appreciated that Stan Olber didn't quickly sink into the lava like it was water; he actually stood up on it as molten rock is still dense as hell until he burned to death.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Wasn't there also a scene where a truck is magically driving over lava & the tires/rims don't melt? :lol:
That's the bit in Dante's Peak where they also save the asbestos dog sitting on a rock surrounded by lava.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Should we compare hats then?

Joseon-Korea zombie palace intrigue series Kingdom is probably my favorite for hats

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pilchenstein posted:

That's the bit in Dante's Peak where they also save the asbestos dog sitting on a rock surrounded by lava.

Dogs rightfully can't die in movies, so yeah great scene. Any "movie" where a dog dies, isn't a movies it's just a big ball of poo poo printed to celluloid.

Pretty sure volcano also had a dog that was yapping at lava in a burning house or something, and later on it was shown to be okay. So yes, volcano also did it right.

Edit: poo poo I just remember the infamous dog jumping from fireball independence day scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUlIOw4-3RM

The dog just looks so happy when it's jumping, just thinking, like what a totally fun day I'm having today. :3:

dr_rat has a new favorite as of 06:04 on May 4, 2023

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Damnit I was going to post that dog

Armacham has a new favorite as of 06:09 on May 4, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
on the subject of magma and metroid, also I guess the opposite of Irrationally Irritating Movie Moment. in the movie Spykids 3D, which is a dumb trapped in a vr game plot. the nerd kid goes "well actually its magma in metroid"

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Joseon-Korea zombie palace intrigue series Kingdom is probably my favorite for hats

I also love those guys' hats, but it's criminal that you didn't post a pic

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

dr_rat posted:

The dog just looks so happy when it's jumping, just thinking, like what a totally fun day I'm having today. :3:

In some college course I can't recall now, we were watching the Orson Welles - narrated adaptation of the Jack London story, "To Build a Fire." It's a story about a Canadian guy and his dog freezing to death. There's a part where the guy decides to try and kill his dog and eat it, and it's supposed to look like the man is attacking the dog and the dog is just escaping his wrath, but it's clear that dog is wrasslin and having a great time in the snow.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Been re-watching some Parks and Rec, because it's an easy "don't have to pay attention to it while I do housework or a crossword" show, and the final season plotline of getting a small chunk of forest in Pawnee turned into a National Park is absurd.

Some random, Mid-West, nothing special in any way about it plot of forest would NEVER be a National Park. There's nothing special about it.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

DrBouvenstein posted:

Been re-watching some Parks and Rec, because it's an easy "don't have to pay attention to it while I do housework or a crossword" show, and the final season plotline of getting a small chunk of forest in Pawnee turned into a National Park is absurd.

Some random, Mid-West, nothing special in any way about it plot of forest would NEVER be a National Park. There's nothing special about it.
Not too long ago I would have said the same thing about Indiana Dunes or the Gateway Arch and (sigh) look at us now.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wow i just watched some old parks & rec clips and nick offerman was squirrelly af back then. i remembered him as this imposing figure for some reason, then entirely forgot and saw him again in last of us, where he does actually impose. very good episode

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Carthag Tuek posted:

wow i just watched some old parks & rec clips and nick offerman was squirrelly af back then. i remembered him as this imposing figure for some reason, then entirely forgot and saw him again in last of us, where he does actually impose. very good episode

Ron Swanson is a very strong-willed man who is very good at some things, he is also a man who turns into a child when he runs out of bacon to eat on a trip. A man of contrasts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Here's a dumb one today I thought about regarding Karate Kid

Miyagi is loving maintenance man in a really small, third rate apartment complex that can't even keep up it's tiny swimming pool and obviously has low rent tenants. We're shown that he was in the military at one point and had been married.

Where the gently caress is he getting this serene, big, well maintained, awesome dojo house and all these vintage souped up classic automobiles from? To the point that he can just give one of those cars away?

Can we just chalk it up entirely to child slave labor and his karate lesson side hustle? Was his wife well off somehow? I've been picturing the idea that Daniel isn't the first kid he conned into waxing his cars and painting his fence, etc.

Maybe some of these kids had a knack for hanging drywall, electrical wiring, plumbing and repairing transmissions?

"Show me: splice wire. Show me: turn pipe wrench. Show me: change timing belt"

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 23:33 on May 5, 2023

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BiggerBoat posted:

Where the gently caress is he getting this serene, big, well maintained, awesome dojo house and all these vintage souped up classic automobiles from? To the point that he can just give one of those cars away?

They’re not souped up, just immaculately maintained. Plus this was in the 80s, dude with a military pension (with MOH bonus) and enough free time and dedication could plausibly pull that off.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Mauser posted:

I also love those guys' hats, but it's criminal that you didn't post a pic

My many, many screenshots are on a hard drive in a box :(

Lock em up, Danno

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Phanatic posted:

They’re not souped up, just immaculately maintained. Plus this was in the 80s, dude with a military pension (with MOH bonus) and enough free time and dedication could plausibly pull that off.

Then wtf does he need the maintenance man job for? He obviously has better poo poo to do with his time.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 00:46 on May 6, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doing apartment maintenance teaches him better karate

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The dojo/house is paid off, he just needs to keep the electricity on and food coming in. Flies he catches aren't enough food.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Show me: change timing belt"

tbf to this last one, there was a gif in the osha thread where they did a belt change that was impressive.

fake e : oh the first result on yotube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA

i dont know what kind of move uses that muscle memory, but it changes belts fast.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I got another one and it's probably been brought up here since I've read so many things about it.

In Godfather 2, there's an attempted hit on Frank Pantangelli that takes place in a bar, executed by Tony Rosato (played by Danny Aiello). During the hit, he says "MIchael Corleone says hello" but the hit was ordered by Hyman Roth. By sheer luck, Pantangelli survives when a beat cop happens to wander into the bar and then is taken into federal custody to testify against Michael.

The line was improvised by Aiello, supposedly to give him a speaking part and earn more money and Coppola was amused enough by it to leave it in. But it fucks everything up. It even confused me the first few times I watched the film. There's no reason for him to say that if Frank is supposed to end up dead. Hell, there's no reason to say it all unless the plan all along was just to scare Frank. In the end, all it does is confuse the viewer.

Like it did me for a long while.

The other famous one from that movie is "who opened Michael's bedroom drapes, when, and why didn't Kate notice it?"

If it was Fredo, then his phone call he has at 3am where he says "you guys lied to me/used me" makes no sense either. What did he think opening the drapes, giving anyone a clear shot at Michael, was all about? I know he's supposed to be dense but even he would ask "the gently caress do you need the curtains opened for?"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BiggerBoat posted:

I got another one and it's probably been brought up here since I've read so many things about it.

In Godfather 2, there's an attempted hit on Frank Pantangelli that takes place in a bar, executed by Tony Rosato (played by Danny Aiello). During the hit, he says "MIchael Corleone says hello" but the hit was ordered by Hyman Roth. By sheer luck, Pantangelli survives when a beat cop happens to wander into the bar and then is taken into federal custody to testify against Michael.

The line was improvised by Aiello, supposedly to give him a speaking part and earn more money and Coppola was amused enough by it to leave it in. But it fucks everything up. It even confused me the first few times I watched the film. There's no reason for him to say that if Frank is supposed to end up dead. Hell, there's no reason to say it all unless the plan all along was just to scare Frank. In the end, all it does is confuse the viewer.

Yeah, this one really did my nut in, too. The fact that it is in the film for such a nonsensical reason is kinda infuriating.

But as for the curtains being open, it could have been done while Kay was asleep. And Fredo is dumb enough to have thought that maybe it was just a signal or something. Or was too cowardly/jealous to link it to/care about it being a hit attempt on Mike

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

credburn posted:

In some college course I can't recall now, we were watching the Orson Welles - narrated adaptation of the Jack London story, "To Build a Fire." It's a story about a Canadian guy and his dog freezing to death. There's a part where the guy decides to try and kill his dog and eat it, and it's supposed to look like the man is attacking the dog and the dog is just escaping his wrath, but it's clear that dog is wrasslin and having a great time in the snow.

A recent 1900HOTDOG article had a bit from one of Godfrey Ho's ten zillion ninja movies that went similarly to that.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BiggerBoat posted:

Improvised is generous, it's a line from the book. During the 'cleaning house' at the end of the story, one of the people murdered is Fabrizzio, one of the two shepherds guarding Michael in Sicily, who sold out Michael to Barzini. After the assassination attempt that kills Apollonia, Fabrizzio flees to New York and opens a pizzeria. He gets shot getting a guy a slice of pizza, the guy says the line to him as he's dying. He says it so the guy knows why he's being killed, obviously.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Improvised is generous, it's a line from the book.

Ok but it wasn't in the script so... :shrug:

Danny and Coppola have given interviews on the subject confirming this.

Sounds like you're talking about a different scene and movie though. Was there a Part 2 novel and does the book explain the line in question? Or was GF2 based on the original book? Not trying to give you poo poo just curious.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The cop coming by was intentional and getting frank to flip was the point. Roth was a slippery motherfucker.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BiggerBoat posted:

Ok but it wasn't in the script so... :shrug:

Danny and Coppola have given interviews on the subject confirming this.

Sounds like you're talking about a different scene and movie though. Was there a Part 2 novel and does the book explain the line in question? Or was GF2 based on the original book? Not trying to give you poo poo just curious.

To clarify, my contention is that Aiello had read the (one) book prior to filming, liked and remembered the snappy dialogue, and 'improvised' it by adding it to his one scene. I can't give him any credit, because the dialogue and situation occurs in the book The Godfather, by Mario Puzo.

Not much of The Godfather 2 comes from the book, mainly the scenes with De Niro killing Fannuci, stealing the rug with Clemenza, and working at Genco's grocery store. All the stuff in Nevada and Cuba is new material, as is De Niro travelling back to Sicily to kill his father's murderer. Fredo betraying the family is new, Frank Pentangelli was added because Clemenza's actor wanted too much money to return.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
That's not even the same line

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Stonehouse Beach posted:

That's not even the same line

Its 8th-grade-homework-copying similarity is immediately apparent to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I absolutely hate the movie Hannibal. It could have been saved had it stuck closer to the book and maybe split into two movies, the halfway point being Hannibal escaping to the US. It's just so rushed and horrible. I know lots of people hated the book ending, but it made way more sense with all the poo poo they cut out (Mason's sister, Clarice being a target of pretty much every male FBI rear end in a top hat who hates her for catching Gumb, etc).

I remember one part in the book where an FBI dude is thinking that it's unfortunate Starling has to be cut from them, but writes it off almost instantly because back when he was a young officer, he had a pretty secretary, and he fired her before she could cause problems in his marriage. The sheer audacity of pretty much every dude in the series, minus maybe Barney and Lecter himself, parallel Gumb's coveting the female form in a nearly as creepy way.