Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Speaking of The Americans, I think Matthew Rhys is becoming one of my favorite actors. Even if I think he looks like a sad clown sometimes. I'm really liking him in Perry Mason.

If you read anything he says or what other people say about him he's really serious about ACTING! but not in an insufferable way. He's just really low-key fuckin awesome at his chosen profession and works hard and I very much respect that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Would anyone have any idea when Masters of the Air is coming out?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

Netflix has The Thing 2011. It feels hurried at parts and some of the cg has aged poorly but I still like it. I might have to watch it again too try and catch when each person gets thinged. I haven't seen the original in ages, now I want to track it down.

Shame they didn't go with the original puppet effects instead of CGI

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

They're better, the chimps are adult people with differing ideas about what to do with the remnants of humanity

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Shageletic posted:

Shame they didn't go with the original puppet effects instead of CGI

the SFX team was pretty salty about all their hard work getting cut in the editing room so they went on to make their own movie using a bunch of their creature designs. the movie is awful from what I remember but it's worth seeing alone for some pretty great practical Thing-like monster effects

Harbinger Down

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The one or two scenes with practical effects are some of the scariest and must memorable. That spider hand is horrible; I only just noticed this time that he's still trying to pull it off when he gets killed, but his hand is melted into it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

God Hole posted:

the SFX team was pretty salty about all their hard work getting cut in the editing room so they went on to make their own movie using a bunch of their creature designs. the movie is awful from what I remember but it's worth seeing alone for some pretty great practical Thing-like monster effects

Harbinger Down

Unfortunately I thought Harbinger Down was universally terrible, including the effects. I’m not sure what happened there but I’m guessing losing big-budget movie lighting & cinematography took a massive toll. Or maybe it was just so unbelievably boring and joyless that it dragged down everything else with it.

david_a fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 5, 2023

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

toggle posted:

Would anyone have any idea when Masters of the Air is coming out?

I don't think there's an official date. The Apple+ folks were saying mid-spring 2023 last November, but that's like now, so I'm guessing its been pushed to the fall? Really psyched for this one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s not even listed on the Apple TV+ coming soon yet, and that has Fall stuff so… not coming soon?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

david_a posted:

Unfortunately I thought Harbinger Down was universally terrible, including the effects. I’m not sure what happened there but I’m guessing losing big-budget movie lighting & cinematography took a massive toll. Or maybe it was just so unbelievably boring and joyless that it dragged down everything else with it.

Alec Gillis is a master at effects but not so good at really shooting them so what ends up happening is a film that poorly showcases the effects on top of being pretty awful too.

The bts of the effects are cool and you can see if they were shot and directed better it would’ve worked. But uh, yeah didn’t happen.
** there is some weird rear end laughing and screaming in this one…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pG_9U3-xj8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRByPa_mXuk

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 5, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Haven't seen The Birds since I was a teen and on VHS
I never noticed she was a psycho before
Or the record on the shelf for Tristan and Isolde

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 6, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm watching A Man Called Otto and it's sort of meh, but has an absolute banger of a joke in it.

Otto is a grumpy old man who yells at everyone. At one point some guy rolls down the block blasting rap music in his car so Otto can yell at him. The song playing: White Boy Summer

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I think Silo is quite good so far, better than I expected. My only real critique as a fan of the books is that Rebecca Ferguson isn't great at American accents, but she's still a great fit for the role.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone else watching the latest season of sweet tooth? One episode left and I'm wondering if they ever explain How everyone started giving birth to hybrids? I'm assuming the virus genetically altered everyone or something but they've been avoiding the topic.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Citadel is only a little longer than The Irishman, cost 300 million dollars, is advertised everywhere but seems to have 0 buzz

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

distortion park posted:

Citadel is only a little longer than The Irishman, cost 300 million dollars, is advertised everywhere but seems to have 0 buzz

I turned off the first episode halfway through. It's not good

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Weekend watch report:

Chucky S2 - Really good! Just constantly impressed with how good the show turned out.
Infinity Pool - Good, not quite great. Last bit of the film kind of felt flat compared to the start.
Don't Breathe 2 - Not great. Even looking past the crazy premise, it just felt mostly silly and dumb but not in a super enjoyable way.

*EDIT: This is not the horror thread lol

thatfuturekid fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 8, 2023

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

distortion park posted:

I watched the first two eps and they were terrible. I didn't even want to continue after ep 1 but ep 2 was like, 38 minutes long if you don't count the recap and title sequence lmao. I am generally fine with watching spy thriller/action movie shlock too.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I for one knew that when they were using the Grubhub app to push ad notifications for Citadel to me that it was a stinker, and also that Amazon is incredibly annoying

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thatfuturekid posted:

Weekend watch report:

Chucky S2 - Really good! Just constantly impressed with how good the show turned out.
Infinity Pool - Good, not quite great. Last bit of the film kind of felt flat compared to the start.
Don't Breathe 2 - Not great. Even looking past the crazy premise, it just felt mostly silly and dumb but not in a super enjoyable way.

*EDIT: This is not the horror thread lol

I appreciate the post tho! Gives me more incentive to try Chucky (tho I'm not generally a horror fan except for the "arty" poo poo)

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

A couple weeks ago I finished watching Night Agent on Netflix. Pretty decent spy adjacent suspense mystery show. It got a little weak by the ending, but overall was pretty good.

Basic premise is the FBI has “Night Agents” that can go on deep dive investigations on their own at the behest of the president. One regular FBI agent gets tangled up in an investigation when he is manning their emergency help line.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Glottis posted:

I for one knew that when they were using the Grubhub app to push ad notifications for Citadel to me that it was a stinker, and also that Amazon is incredibly annoying

Grubhub you say?

Took a photo of my TV while I was watching it and chatting with some friends. The product placements in the show were absolutely obnoxious.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

looks like a ps5 screenshot from some overwrought "cinematic" game that should have been a tv show

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, that is impressively terrible looking. Bad camera or bad freeze frame?

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Shageletic posted:

I appreciate the post tho! Gives me more incentive to try Chucky (tho I'm not generally a horror fan except for the "arty" poo poo)

I highly suggest it! Though, make sure you either A) watch every movie beforehand or B) catch up via the Dead Meat "Kill Counts" on YT. The show is a direct continuation and though it made sense to me, my fiancé was lost until we sat down and just spent a few weekends going through the films lol. It really expects you to know your lore.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

smackfu posted:

Yeah, that is impressively terrible looking. Bad camera or bad freeze frame?

It kinda looked like poo poo and also the Grubhub bag was this glaringly crisp CG creation with lighting that doesn't match the rest of the shot and stood out like sore thumb in motion.

but also it is a photo of my tv in a dark room

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol we're going to get digitally-inserted in-scene product placements in old movies and shows aren't we

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

iRobot remains unchanged except an apple logo on robots

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Tiny Timbs posted:

lol we're going to get digitally-inserted in-scene product placements in old movies and shows aren't we
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56758376

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

distortion park posted:

Citadel is what AI written TV is going to look like after they fire all the writers.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Lol that amazon gave the Russo bros 300 million dollars for their bland tired shtick. Literally hadn't heard of it outside of reading this thread rn

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Citadel is what AI written TV is going to look like after they fire all the writers.

Do they really have to fire the writers if they just never offer the writers a viable contract?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Orvin posted:

Do they really have to fire the writers if they just never offer the writers a viable contract?
The ai contract bot will give them a very one-sided contract but the ai hr bot will fire them

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Tiny Timbs posted:

You are over a decade late to this party.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Lol that amazon gave the Russo bros 300 million dollars for their bland tired shtick. Literally hadn't heard of it outside of reading this thread rn

Usually they push their big budget thing on their packaging. I know I saw a bunch of Rings of Power stuff. Did they do that for the new money pit?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There seem to be a lot of streaming shows that have one or two big name actors and then everyone else is entirely a bunch of nobodies

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
The first episode of White House plumbers sucks so hard. Not sure why they went the Veep route with it I know it’s from one of the Veep people, but still. A more straightforward drama with this cast could have been great.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thatfuturekid posted:

I highly suggest it! Though, make sure you either A) watch every movie beforehand or B) catch up via the Dead Meat "Kill Counts" on YT. The show is a direct continuation and though it made sense to me, my fiancé was lost until we sat down and just spent a few weekends going through the films lol. It really expects you to know your lore.

Yeah im not going to see the entirety if the Chucky franchise. I might check that out but I guess it's just a series of slasher kills which def doesn't sound appetizing?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

frogbs posted:

The first episode of White House plumbers sucks so hard. Not sure why they went the Veep route with it I know it’s from one of the Veep people, but still. A more straightforward drama with this cast could have been great.

I'd watch Gaslit (one of my top shows of last year!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Shageletic posted:

I'd watch Gaslit (one of my top shows of last year!).

It’s on my list! Loos like it’s got a stacked cast too. Need to get Starz I guess. The crazy thing is that White House Plumbers started production BEFORE Gaslit, was filmed in fall 2021, and then they sat on it for a year and a half. I don’t think they really knew what to do with it.