Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I have burns on my forearm where kevlar overheated from friction, but did not break itself, just transferred that heat over to my skin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Nitrox posted:

Hopefully it lasts. What a great idea!

I expect it to last a couple of years. The silkscreen on my Rev'it suit started cracking fairly early, i expect the paint to do exactly the same. But i can just re-paint it, if it cracks.

Supradog posted:

COSPLAY FOR DADS. oh, im not it the cruiser tread. IF COLOUR MATCHING MAKES YOU WEAR ACTUAL SECURE GEAR loving AWESOME.

gently caress yeah. I'm way overdressed for the type of riding i do but i swear, this stuff is so drat comfortable. Whenever it gets cold again and i have to wear my textile suit, i'm like 'Aww'.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
As always, the best gear is the stuff you actually wear.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
When I've had to ask for a hand at track days to get my leathers on, over my TechAir 5 airbag vest, I've had numerous people tell me that they own one, but they don't wear it at track days.

Absolutely baffling to me that they don't think that's a very good place to wear protection when they are going substantially faster, with probably a higher risk of highsides.

I do wish I had known the TechAir 10 was coming out when I bought my 5 since it seems much easier to wear and put leathers over. Oh well.

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006

Geekboy posted:

I'm thinking I need a spring/fall weight, waterproof touring boot. I don't, like, need them to be super stylish so I am fine going with the ADV style but I'm not excited about that. I want a properly protective "go off by myself and no one needs to worry about me" kind of boot. Usually a US men's size 11, so I don't need a ridiculous size. Open to suggestions since there's just a billion options here and I'm having a hard time starting to narrow it down.

I have a pair of Alpinestar Belize Drystar boots in size 12 that have been super comfortable for touring and they look fairly discreet with long pants on. The fit is pretty wide compared to average and I've never had any water ingress in the 1k or so miles I've worn them in the rain and through puddles. They also make the same boot but taller called the Corozal if you want more shin protection. Legit feel like a car could run over my ankle and I would be fine though.

LimaBiker posted:

I bought a new Dainese suit a short while ago, because my Rev'it has always been just a bit too tight, and simply because i wanna be a dainese spaceboy. But that left me with black and white gloves that didn't really match the black and fluorescent red of the suit. I like the gloves so i didn't wanna spend a wad of money on new gloves.

So i went ahead, bought Angelus leather paint in the colors Neon flaming orange and chili red. Mixed them in the proportion 2:1, and ended up with an almost perfect color match. With a tiny pointy brush i started meticulously painting the white parts of the Rev'it gloves. This is the work in progress - 2 coats of paint in this picture.

That look's amazing. If you covered up the logos I would have never guessed they weren't a set.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MetaJew posted:

When I've had to ask for a hand at track days to get my leathers on, over my TechAir 5 airbag vest, I've had numerous people tell me that they own one, but they don't wear it at track days.

Absolutely baffling to me that they don't think that's a very good place to wear protection when they are going substantially faster, with probably a higher risk of highsides.

I do wish I had known the TechAir 10 was coming out when I bought my 5 since it seems much easier to wear and put leathers over. Oh well.

My last track day I was actually able to get in and out my suit by myself (with the tech-air race). I bought a Rev'it undersuit. I wonder if that made the difference, or I've just done it enough times to have figured it out. Having one and not wearing it at the track is weird. But yeah I'm with you there on the timing. I bought a jacket first (with the plan to eventually get an airbag), then pants (to make 2-piece suit), then the airbag (~2 years later), which made the jacket too tight for comfort, so then I bought a 1-piece suit, then the current crop of suits came out a couple weeks later. Oh well. Now I have a 2-piece for street and a 1-piece for track :o:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Chickenbisket posted:

I have a pair of Alpinestar Belize Drystar boots in size 12 that have been super comfortable for touring and they look fairly discreet with long pants on.

Just ordered a pair. Thank you for helping me narrow the field.

Strife posted:

I currently own five pairs. Recommended.

This is probably going to be my next gear purchase. Thank you.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

OK this is the last helmet post I will make :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FbwmDE4yOA

At 2:27 you can see the stickers on the back. It says Snell / ECE R22.06 on one sticker and then DOT on the other, as best as I can tell.

Anyway I ordered one, gently caress it. I need a new helmet soon anyway, and I figured better order before they’re all sold out and on a 6 month backlog.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Toe Rag posted:

My last track day I was actually able to get in and out my suit by myself (with the tech-air race). I bought a Rev'it undersuit. I wonder if that made the difference, or I've just done it enough times to have figured it out. Having one and not wearing it at the track is weird. But yeah I'm with you there on the timing. I bought a jacket first (with the plan to eventually get an airbag), then pants (to make 2-piece suit), then the airbag (~2 years later), which made the jacket too tight for comfort, so then I bought a 1-piece suit, then the current crop of suits came out a couple weeks later. Oh well. Now I have a 2-piece for street and a 1-piece for track :o:

The TechAir 5, being a stand along vest, vs the TechAir race zipping into the suit makes a huge difference, I imagine. I was under the impression that the TechAir Race was being phased out because the suits when I was shopping no longer had the sleeve indicator LEDs or the support plug or zippers to connect the vest.

Basically to "easily" put on the TechAir 5 with a one piece suit, I need to stuff the sleeves of the vest into the leathers then step into the suit and pull it on up over my shoulders. If you try to put the vest on and then pull the leathers over it, the shoulder/sleeve of the vest will bunch up, which is uncomfortable and not ideal for how it's supposed to work, I imagine.

The TechAir 10 sort of replaces the undersuit you would wear (Although I imagine wearing something to wick sweat away would be a good idea to keep BO down on the 10).

Toe Rag posted:

OK this is the last helmet post I will make :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FbwmDE4yOA

At 2:27 you can see the stickers on the back. It says Snell / ECE R22.06 on one sticker and then DOT on the other, as best as I can tell.

Anyway I ordered one, gently caress it. I need a new helmet soon anyway, and I figured better order before they’re all sold out and on a 6 month backlog.

Haven't watched this yet. Does it have the FIM sticker? Since Marquez is wearing it I assume so.

Edit: I wish it came in some more exciting colors. The graphics seem pretty generic to me.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 2, 2023

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yes, I think the race vest is being phased out, although it’s still for sale on their website. As far a I can tell, it has to be plugged into the suit to even work; if you want to upgrade the firmware (or change it between street and track), my computer wouldn’t see it unless I had it plugged into my suit. I don’t think you can use the older style vests with the newer suits.

No mention of FIM in the video or on the product page. It’s not even on Shoei’s US website. I’ll have a look when it shows up. Agreed on the graphics. Arai’s are way better.

Edit: spelling

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 2, 2023

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MetaJew posted:

Edit: I wish it came in some more exciting colors. The graphics seem pretty generic to me.

I always find graphic helmets a bit kitsch but everyone else seems to love them so maybe I'm the oddball.

Having said that yeah the colour options for the X-15 are fairly uninspiring.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

tony quidtana posted:

I always find graphic helmets a bit kitsch but everyone else seems to love them so maybe I'm the oddball.

Having said that yeah the colour options for the X-15 are fairly uninspiring.

I was trying to commission an art from a friend, that I could get made into a sticker or decal, of an art nouveau prancing ram-- since it's sort of my family's coat of arms.

It never panned out, but it's still on my mind for something to put on a solid white helmet-- which is what I will likely buy.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I like graphics on my helmets but the $100 the premium brands charge for a handful of stickers is outrageous

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The Shoei X-14 helmet I have is really well done and looks amazing, the design is worked into it nicely. This one here, I don't think I payed quite a $100 premium for it then, and it probably helped it matched the bike I had at the time :swoon:

I'd wear this one here but not for $1,000 yikes:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Agreed that that colorway of the Proxy helmet is the best option they have, but it's still nothing amazing.

I remember Suomy used to have some really rad graphics, but I haven't seen or heard anything about that brand in a long long time.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MetaJew posted:

I was trying to commission an art from a friend, that I could get made into a sticker or decal, of an art nouveau prancing ram-- since it's sort of my family's coat of arms.

It never panned out, but it's still on my mind for something to put on a solid white helmet-- which is what I will likely buy.

Yeah thats basically what I did. Small decal on the back of a solid white helmet.

I think doing your own graphics is rad but there's something about going the stock ones that strikes me as a bit garish.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

When I bought my first helmet I was planning on just plain white but they didn't have any, so I ended up with this. It made me think of Darth Maul and felt a little dorky, but I am fine with it now.

I like the blue/yellow/pink one linked above, but I decided upon this one because it will match my suit best, which is what matters.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
My ole rf-sr is 5 years old so it's time for a new one. Going a tier up this time, RF-1400 Mural

deliciously weird

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

My ole rf-sr is 5 years old so it's time for a new one. Going a tier up this time, RF-1400 Mural

deliciously weird

I want this one when I replace my HJC.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Toe Rag posted:

I like the blue/yellow/pink one linked above,

Cyan/magenta/yellow :reject:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I love the look of that RF, they’ll never put anything that fun on my GT Air.

FBS posted:

the $100 the premium brands charge for a handful of stickers is outrageous
Designers deserve to get paid for their work :shrug: Now whether some designs are anything but completely uninspired is another matter.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jonny 290 posted:

deliciously weird

I very nearly bought that one but the plain white was £100+ cheaper so i went for plain instead.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If anybody's looking for a decent rain suit, Costco has this for $30 currently in-store

https://www.costco.com/boss-hi-vis-ansi-class-3-rain-suit.product.4000068370.html

These are great for basically anything including sailing and obviously motorcycle. A buddy of mine have been using it for 2 years, and I just picked one up myself.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'd wear this one here but not for $1,000 yikes:

I'm going to Japan in October and I just looked up the prices over there, it's around $650USD in Japan. I'm playing with the idea of just buying one when I'm over there with that kind of price differential.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

tony quidtana posted:

I'm going to Japan in October and I just looked up the prices over there, it's around $650USD in Japan. I'm playing with the idea of just buying one when I'm over there with that kind of price differential.

Nobody puts DOT stickers on helmets sold outside America, so you'll technically have an illegal helmet. IDK if your insurance will care.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
How would your insurance know? I’ve ordered helmets from Europe for that same reason. Even with shipping it was hundreds of dollars less than ordering from a U.S. based company.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm aware the helmet will be illegal but I'm also thinking that the situations where that's going to come up and be relevant are so ridiculously impossible that who cares.

I only have third party liability insurance so it would have to be one hell of a claim for the legality of my helmet to factor in.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

tony quidtana posted:

Oh nice, great idea! Even if you'd have to check another bag that would be well worth it I'd think, what are bag checks like $25-50?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The pro move is to wear it in the cabin for the entire flight.
Broken in!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You can buy DoT helmet stickers on eBay for $3. Congratulations, problem solved.

It's what all those novelty plastic hats that pretend to be helmets are doing anyway.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

The pro move is to wear it in the cabin for the entire flight.
Broken in!

"Why... are you wearing a crash helmet?"
"You know, just in case"

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Phy posted:

"Why... are you wearing a crash helmet?"
"You know, just in case"
Lol, I once flew for a ski trip and took my helmet as carry on. One of the crew saw me boarding and said "expecting turbulence?" "You never know! :v:"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Walked into the office one time in full gear but carrying my helmet.
"Hey, do you ride a motorbike?"
"No, I just live in a bad neighbourhood."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A checkout operator once asked me if I rode a motorbike and I told her I just fall over a lot

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I went to a shop to try on the HJC RPHA 1N. I think I'm a size small in HJC. It's weird. I tried on a medium and the crown of the helmet felt tighter or more uncomfortable.

I walked around the shop with the size Small on for maybe 10-15 minutes and didn't feel any real major discomfort. It also felt about the right amount of tight on my cheeks so I think that's the size I will buy.

Unfortunately, they still didn't have any of the X-Fifteens in stock or demos to try on.

I'm not sure if I should go for the X-fifteen or the RPHA 1N if they both fit well. The only reason honestly I'm tempted to get the RPHA is this graphic honestly looks really great in person. Otherwise, I'll likely get the X-Fifteen in white.

\/\/\/\/\/ Edit: Yeah this

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 6, 2023

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Think of how sick you'll look at COTA with your COTA helmet though.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Chris Knight posted:

Walked into the office one time in full gear but carrying my helmet.
"Hey, do you ride a motorbike?"
"No, I just live in a bad neighbourhood."

I love answering that question.

"I'm allergic to sunlight."
"I drive a car but I'm accident prone."
"I have a crippling fear of bees."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Oops, I seem to have logged into the MAD magazine forums

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

anyone know where i can get a shaded pinlock insert for an arai xd4? they seem to be sold out everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
What can I say, I'm a lifelong fan of Al Jaffe :rip: