Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Does hardcore raiding still exist in modern WoW?

oh absolutely. the race to world first in wow is a big community event that gets streamed every raid tier release. the best guilds in the world play for ~16 hours a day for roughly 2 weeks. they have entire paid support teams of analysts and addon code writers and poo poo to help them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

They're large and visible and can have lots of greebles and particle effects attached to them, while not screwing around with the actual combat gameplay.

It's just the weirdness of the situation to me.

Like I've played a lot of ESO. I've played a lot of ESO free. I've recommended ESO to a lot of people to be played as a single player TES game, because it's really good at being a decent single player TES these days. Yeah some of the story stuff falls flat, but a lot works, and it hits a lot of the same levers.

And while a lot of people end up enjoying it, you get people who go in, come out and say poo poo like

"yeah game was super cool actually, way better than I expected. Questing felt good, combat was bad but who cares. BUT I'M NOT GOING TO PLAY IT BECAUSE THE MOUNTS ARE CASH SHOP ONLY, gently caress THOSE GUYS. ABSOLUTE GREEDY BASTARDS."

Nevermind that basically every other system is skewed heavily in favor of the F2P folks having a fine time ( long as you don't omnicraft ), you can absolutely flip ingame currency for the expansions/DLC pretty easily, and there's basically nothing worthwhile on the cash shop. Like even on the cosmetics front, it's mainly just things to unlock stuff you earn ingame quicker, with a few not great looking dresses/clothes people don't really use because the transmog system ingame is so strong. The main whale draw is the houses you can buy in the cash shop, but there's plenty of ingame houses and the cash shop ones are mainly guild halls. And all of it you can flip ingame currency for pretty easily! There are multiple people on their main forums who bought every DLC/Expansion/House/Mount entirely off of flipping ingame currency.

Like I get it, they are shiny things you can show off to people. But the fact this continues to be the biggest complaint people have outside of combat, and such a big complaint people refuse to play the game and can't stop bringing it up when the rest of the cash shop stuff is so banal is just insane to me. Why are we all so broke brained over mounts of all things. Why don't the houses get the same anger? Why would people not play an enjoyable game over this of all things.

Orv
May 4, 2011
ESO is a game that has $90 and up virtual housing spaces that are often unavailable for years but everyone seems to just be fine with that from what I could tell.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You don't have to get everything in every game to have a lot of fun with them

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don’t know what you’re saying

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh I'm gonna wring every penny out of every byte

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Orv posted:

I don’t know what you’re saying

You don't understand what I'm saying about people who like games where you can spend $90 on a house?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

You don't understand what I'm saying about people who like games where you can spend $90 on a house?

No it’s completely incomprehensible please explain

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh you're messing with me, I clearly need another cup of coffee

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sokath, their eyes opened

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Awesome! posted:

oh absolutely. the race to world first in wow is a big community event that gets streamed every raid tier release. the best guilds in the world play for ~16 hours a day for roughly 2 weeks. they have entire paid support teams of analysts and addon code writers and poo poo to help them.

Are you for real? What the gently caress

This is somehow sadder than dads that fight at T-ball games.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sloppy posted:

Are you for real? What the gently caress

This is somehow sadder than dads that fight at T-ball games.

That post contains exactly no jokes

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if anyone is curious what the production is like, heres a video from the very end of the last race. https://twitch.tv/videos/1693880792

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Maybe Bethesda poisoned the well by introducing DLC to the world via 15 dollar mount armour.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The horse armor was like $2.50 (edit: still poison though)

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Bethesda charged the exact amount in your local currency that would cause you to flinch as if almost struck.

They came to your door to collect. You made sure to pay.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

exquisite tea posted:

Any ARPG where you need a mount to move around, instead of making the actual character's movement dynamic and fun, is just a total failure of game design.

City of Heroes might have been the worst for this, as you anticipated getting your first travel power and zooming around like like a superhero.

Flying here I come! ... and I'm flying, but it's slower than walking? Movement powers started off being poo poo slow, and only after grinding them out did they get marginally better.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Rookersh posted:

It's just the weirdness of the situation to me.

Like I've played a lot of ESO. I've played a lot of ESO free. I've recommended ESO to a lot of people to be played as a single player TES game, because it's really good at being a decent single player TES these days. Yeah some of the story stuff falls flat, but a lot works, and it hits a lot of the same levers.

And while a lot of people end up enjoying it, you get people who go in, come out and say poo poo like

"yeah game was super cool actually, way better than I expected. Questing felt good, combat was bad but who cares. BUT I'M NOT GOING TO PLAY IT BECAUSE THE MOUNTS ARE CASH SHOP ONLY, gently caress THOSE GUYS. ABSOLUTE GREEDY BASTARDS."

Nevermind that basically every other system is skewed heavily in favor of the F2P folks having a fine time ( long as you don't omnicraft ), you can absolutely flip ingame currency for the expansions/DLC pretty easily, and there's basically nothing worthwhile on the cash shop. Like even on the cosmetics front, it's mainly just things to unlock stuff you earn ingame quicker, with a few not great looking dresses/clothes people don't really use because the transmog system ingame is so strong. The main whale draw is the houses you can buy in the cash shop, but there's plenty of ingame houses and the cash shop ones are mainly guild halls. And all of it you can flip ingame currency for pretty easily! There are multiple people on their main forums who bought every DLC/Expansion/House/Mount entirely off of flipping ingame currency.

Like I get it, they are shiny things you can show off to people. But the fact this continues to be the biggest complaint people have outside of combat, and such a big complaint people refuse to play the game and can't stop bringing it up when the rest of the cash shop stuff is so banal is just insane to me. Why are we all so broke brained over mounts of all things. Why don't the houses get the same anger? Why would people not play an enjoyable game over this of all things.

For me, it's people complaining about people complaining about monetization. OK, you're cool with it, that great. I don't really understand why you have to characterize people unhappy with how cool cosmetics and gubbins are monetized as "broke brained" or dumb & so goddamed crazy. Looking cool is a HUGE part of online community-driven games, to the point loving EA patented systems to pair bling'd out whales with complete beginners in an effort to drive sales because it works, people want to look cool.

I swear to gently caress, "it doesn't bother ME" is such a bad take. I'm happy for you and everyone else who manage to stay above it all, but the people complaining have a point that's literally proven by industry practices!

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

City of Heroes might have been the worst for this, as you anticipated getting your first travel power and zooming around like like a superhero.

Flying here I come! ... and I'm flying, but it's slower than walking? Movement powers started off being poo poo slow, and only after grinding them out did they get marginally better.

I suppose they were quick for their time but if your flight is slower than walking you may have chosen hover instead.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

On the other hand, you could get jetpacks at low levels and sprinting was to quote a friend "Faster than my wow mounts". But yeah it WAS annoying with basic flight to crack open the numbers and see you hit the fairly low flight speed hardcaps. Even if Afterburner "Go even faster" was added later that still ate a power slot pick :sigh:

Still had great jumping though. City of Heroes super leap you ended up being able to legit hulk jump at high speed with perfect air control and just hold down the jump button (handy if indoors). Meanwhile, my much shorter time in Champions online you had to keep mashing the button, and I think some jumping travel powers literally had a trait that made you fall down faster to reduce your air time :argh:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The way you'd quickly leap into the air and then practically freeze in place on takeoff was hysterical.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

For me, it's people complaining about people complaining about monetization. OK, you're cool with it, that great. I don't really understand why you have to characterize people unhappy with how cool cosmetics and gubbins are monetized as "broke brained" or dumb & so goddamed crazy. Looking cool is a HUGE part of online community-driven games, to the point loving EA patented systems to pair bling'd out whales with complete beginners in an effort to drive sales because it works, people want to look cool.

I swear to gently caress, "it doesn't bother ME" is such a bad take. I'm happy for you and everyone else who manage to stay above it all, but the people complaining have a point that's literally proven by industry practices!

"They're just cosmetics, they don't matter, doesn't affect gameplay, who cares". Well, they clearly do matter because people spend so much time and effort grinding for them and playing dress-up (both in multiplayer and singleplayer games).

Cosmetic stuff is IMO part of the game experience and should be treated as such.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Before I do my demo reviews, I want to first mention Voidtrain is finally launching on Steam on the 9th, next week. It is still in Early Access, just the prologue and first chapter, so I imagine it is shaping up for a 2024 release.

Okay, now some LudoNarraCon demos:

The Star of EOS (Coming soon) - Have you played Behind the Frame: the Finest Scenery? This is the next game from that developer, and it seems to be the same engine, the same gameplay, but with a focus on photography and now with stiff voice acting. Very pretty, but not super deep in the gameplay, just like BTF.

Loco Motive (2023) - A gorgeous pixel point & click inspired by Lucasarts games (complete with SCUMM-style musical transitions as you switch rooms and grab objects). Almost every inventory/puzzle interaction is meticulously animated, even the silly stuff like wrapping a newspaper around a fan. This started out as a free game on itch.io before getting a massive glow-up for Steam and that extra effort is really showing in the demo. I don't love the non-pixel font/UI but w/e, it's gotta be readable I guess. I'll reserve judgement on the main character for the full game; they are doing typical adventure game misdemeanors but they don't seem like a total prick, just one looking out for his own interests. I'm trying to avoid any game that hits a 10 on the Rufus meter and this is only about a 4. (this is a deponia reference)

The Invincible (2023) - A first-person narrative game loosely based on the book by Stanislaw Lem. It's really hard to get a read on this game because it was only a 8-9-ish minute long demo (at 18GB no less), but so far it seems like a somewhat typical "mankind goes to new planet, uh oh it all goes wrong!!! everyone crazy!!!" story, so it'll all depend on the execution. But like I said. Very short demo, so not much execution for me to analyze here.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Lem's The Invincible is an incredible story and I strongly recommend reading it. 60s era sci-fi at its best.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Ive been playing City of Heroes recently and that all got fixed like a decade ago! You can get your actual travel power at level 4 now. You don't have to take Hover first before you can take Fly :toot:

Also the city of heroes private server scene is incredible. If anyone is interested check the CoH thread in the MMO HMO and come play on Homecoming/Excelsior! There are thousands of active players and they have continued releasing new content updates even after the game shut down, a new power set was added a few days ago :hellyeah:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

deep dish peat moss posted:

Ive been playing City of Heroes recently and that all got fixed like a decade ago! You can get your actual travel power at level 4 now. You don't have to take Hover first before you can take Fly :toot:

Also the city of heroes private server scene is incredible. If anyone is interested check the CoH thread in the MMO HMO and come play on Homecoming/Excelsior! There are thousands of active players and they have continued releasing new content updates even after the game shut down, a new power set was added a few days ago :hellyeah:

Wait what. drat that sounds awesome

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
MMO World-Firsts are good because it's like the only time you'll ever see a full esports production around what is essentially people trying to solve a puzzle game

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/whitethorn-games-showcase?partner=nintendeal

Easy Going games with Whitethorn

$5/$8/$12 tiers

quote:

APICO
The forest cathedral
Lake
RE:Call
Wytchwood
Aground
Calico
Princess farmer
Evens Remains
Teacup
Beasts of Maravilla island
Starcrossed

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

okay one more demo because it rules

Granted, the opening area feels mostly like a prototype but I am hoping that the gameplay will flesh out beyond what's in the demo. This is a Typing Dungeon Crawler, where a faux Vincent Price skeleton talks to you like it's the VHS game Knightmare. Your characters have lost their memories and you can only get their skills back by figuring out what they are typing them out. As you find chests, you get a very Jellyvision-inspired guessing game where you tell the host to interact with the item in a myriad of ways and describe it to you (in addition to the senses, I found out that "wield" works as a verb as well). If you get it right, the letters of the word are then Wheel of Fortune style applied to your party's current blank spaces to help you guess the skill words. In combat, you type these words out (I'll at least spoil one because it's straight up given to you, "HIT" for the warrior to swing his sword and deal 1 damage) to deal with your opponent as well as manage the fight. Both enemies and your party's life is measured in the amount of letters in their name.

The reason I mentioned Jellyvision above is because I felt like the game definitely has some inspiration from the old You Don't Know Jack games in terms of flexibility. at one point I typed "gently caress" into the guessing game, which the skeleton said "you and I both know that we wouldn't enjoy that", and then a little while later when I entered another room, the skeleton chided me for using a swear word earlier. There are also unique responses to typing in certain words, and it was also interesting to just type random words to see if the voice actor had accounted for it. At one point he questioned why I was just typing in random animals.

also Surasshu (Steven Universe music) is the composer in this game? the dialog and voice acting is corny but it is corny in a charming way I think. it doesn't take itself seriously. in order to prove you're alive to a talking door, you're asked to describe what the sun is like.

apparently at some point there will be cards and collectable creatures but they weren't in the demo (and I'm gathering some sort of soul energy?). I would like to have a map or at least an automap in the corner, personally. maybe I'll get one in the section after the demo?

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 5, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

explosivo posted:

Wait what. drat that sounds awesome

For real it's incredibly easy to set up and play everyone with even a passing interest in CoH should do it
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/installation-guide/

There's a lot of effort that has gone into making it easy as hell to play. There's a custom launcher that does 100% of the downloads/setup for you.

And there are a million QOL changes to the game. You get 1,000 character slots per server. You can enable a 2x exp buff for free at any time. There's an NPC that gives away all the old prestige powers right at the start so you don't need to have an account active for 15 months to get extra low level attacks anymore or whatever. Travel powers at level 4, tons of rebalancing so everything is good and viable. Lots of fast travel options to teleport around the world quickly. End-game content and ways to improve your character past level 50. And active enough that there are always groups forming in chat. The auction house is seeded with items so even though the population is like 10% of live, you can still buy/sell anything.

So much nostalgia packed into one game :allears:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 5, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

For real it's incredibly easy to set up and play everyone with even a passing interest in CoH should do it

There's a lot of effort that has gone into making it easy as hell to play. There's a custom launcher that does 100% of the downloads/setup for you.

And there are a million QOL changes to the game. You get 1,000 character slots per server. You can enable a 2x exp buff for free at any time. There's an NPC that gives away all the old prestige powers right at the start so you don't need to have an account active for 15 months to get extra low level attacks anymore or whatever. Travel powers at level 4, tons of rebalancing so everything is good and viable. Lots of fast travel options to teleport around the world quickly. End-game content and ways to improve your character past level 50. And active enough that there are always groups forming in chat. The auction house is seeded with items so even though the population is like 10% of live, you can still buy/sell anything.

So much nostalgia packed into one game :allears:

Yeah hearty agree

Also I made the Medic from TF2 and rezzing people while yelling at them is fun times

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Broadly speaking I don’t care about cosmetics but they have influenced the way that games are designed and the way that gamers engage with the game and others so yea I get why people would take issue.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Also it kinda breaks the suspension of disbelief in a way - I don't think that's quite what I mean, but I can't think of the phrase. Like if the exploitation gets TOO naked and obvious, you can't easily pretend it isn't there and just enjoy yourself any more.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thank you this was far easier than I was expecting it to be and I'm already making a dude :waycool:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1321440/Cassette_Beasts/

Pokemon but good, with gameplay mechanics that actually make something modern and reasonable out those old Pokemon mechanics.
It also has a baller soundtrack that has lyrics kick in mid-battle when you fuse your pokemans together.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

explosivo posted:

Thank you this was far easier than I was expecting it to be and I'm already making a dude :waycool:

:tipshat: it is definitely a bit janky compared to modern MMOs but once you get accustomed to it there's really no other game like it. And the community is cool, it's mostly old-timers who just enjoy spending their evening as a superhero so they are always willing to help low level players, and there's a lot of them that clearly have fun with what they're doing, like the guy named Monty Haul that pops up to run a gameshow in atlas park occasionally.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
been going through skul: hero slayer as i wait for totk

it's a passable roguelite but the bosses become incredibly spongey by world 4. it's also oddly sparse on metaprogression - you get four slim and linear upgrade trees and the rest you're expected to scrape together during the run, which doesn't do much to alleviate the sponginess

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 5, 2023

Estel
May 4, 2010

Orv posted:

I played Marvel Heroes very infrequently over years and between one time and another they took away Hulk’s ability to just infinitely Hulk jump from one side of the screen to the other and I’m still mad about it.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Yea they nerfed movement powers at one point. I think I’d stopped playing by then.

Gazillion inflicted a mortal wound on Marvel Heroes when they nerfed the movement skills. The game never fully recovered after that.

The game was pure mindless fun and I wish someone took the mantle to do a similar arpg.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I will say that while City of Heroes is still ultimately an MMO, anyone missing Marvel Heroes owes it to themselves to at least give it a shot because the gameplay is at least in my incredibly biased opinion closer to an ARPG than what you might think of when I say "old MMO with tab targeting combat". There's a very similar spirit of peeling out at 100mph, jumping into a pack of enemies, and blowing them the gently caress up and then repeating that forever as you optimize your build to do it even better and faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

anyone have any idea why, in Cult of the Lamb, my character moves at a slow walk when I push the left stick straight up or down? Goes at full speed if I add even a little left or right, or if I do dpad or WASD; just the stick doesn't work right (it's fine in other games. also steam Input's off for CotL because with it on the game refuses to even see the controller at all)