Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pookah posted:

Example of authentic Irish-Chinese fusion cooking - the Spice Bag

I would absolutely gently caress with that, but if I go to a Chinese restaurant that is not what I would be expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Chinese restaurants are a whole different game.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I keep watching Rate My Takeaway on youtube and British Chinese food is weird. "Munch Box" and "Spice Bag", interesting slang.

From what I can tell its nearly always a pizza box filled with fries and fried chicken. Occasionally a side of rice.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
put me spice bag in her munch box

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mds2 posted:

I keep watching Rate My Takeaway on youtube and British Chinese food is weird. "Munch Box" and "Spice Bag", interesting slang.

From what I can tell its nearly always a pizza box filled with fries and fried chicken. Occasionally a side of rice.

The English, based on their abysmal track record, should be banned from
1) using the English language
2) consuming, preparing and discussing food, unless in the privacy of a fully enclosed room

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
The fruit cocktail committee has spoken! You are to be fruited!

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
The munchy box is from Scotland, and the spice bag is Irish! There are many, many things you can blame on the English, but not those two in particular!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pseudohog posted:

The munchy box is from Scotland, and the spice bag is Irish! There are many, many things you can blame on the English, but not those two in particular!

Hm i say we should nuke England anyway just to be on the safe side

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nettle Soup posted:

Chinese restaurants are a whole different game.

I think there's an issue here too, I guess "restaurant" and "takeaway" are like, entirely different businesses in the UK? In the US everything is a restaurant and the majority of places (especially now) do both takeout and dine in. There are takeout-focused or takeout-only places but they don't have a special name.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
As usual this is people fixating on a niche thing and then extrapolating it out, while also conveniently ignoring any number of similar abominations in their own back yards. Getting a Chinese takeaway is a common occurrence and it would be the same kind of westernised Chinese food that you'd see in a Panda Express. I don't know people who would just get fries and chicken and say its Chinese. Personally I dislike Chinese takeaways generally but whenever people get them it's always stuff like spring rolls, duck pancakes, chow mein, sweet and sour pork, black pepper beef, crispy seaweed, sweetcorn soup etc. Any medium sized city in the UK has more authentic restaurants as well which would be frequented by actual Chinese people - our family hosted Chinese students for many years and they would take us to restaurants which they said were authentic enough.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I think there's an issue here too, I guess "restaurant" and "takeaway" are like, entirely different businesses in the UK? In the US everything is a restaurant and the majority of places (especially now) do both takeout and dine in. There are takeout-focused or takeout-only places but they don't have a special name.

A takeaway will pretty much never have a space to sit in. They're normally a counter with the fryers behind and a space to stand while you wait. You might get a couple of chairs or a windowsill to perch on, but that's it. It's one step up from street-food.

A restaurant will probably not do takeout, but might? I wouldn't rely on it though, and they're generally more authentic. I think it's to do with the walking / car culture difference between here and the US.

(and for fun, here's the menu of this random place I found on google, it is entirely generic)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Very amused by the OK sauce section.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nettle Soup posted:

I think the thing is, in the UK, most chinese places are fish and chip shops first, and the Chinese takeaway aspect is secondary. Not all fish and chips shops will do Chinese, but most, if not all, Chinese takeaways will do fish and chips. Then they sell nuggets or whatever for the kids, because who cares, you have the oil going anyway, may as well bulk out the menu.

The chips can be variable though depending on how well they know their fryer and how much they care. Best ones in the area used to be from the shop next to the graveyard, and sometimes we'd take bread and butter with us and make chip butties next to the graves in the evening. Then one day the owner announced he was going back to China and it shut overnight.

Now I have to go a mile if I want the good stuff!

I have never in my life seen a combination chippy and chinese, they do chips but not fish.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

OwlFancier posted:

I have never in my life seen a combination chippy and chinese, they do chips but not fish.

Live in the North West, literally every Chinese place will do fish n chips too.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Huh, yeah I'm in the North West, regional differences I guess!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"Made for particular people by particular people." You know the kind.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://v.redd.it/plq6id9rssxa1/DASH_480.mp4

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
This kills the guest.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mmmm...I can feel my arteries hardening just watching that video.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

I gained 5 lbs just watching that. But I'm gonna make it worse.

Cut two slices, not terribly thick, and brown both side in a skillet with some butter, and make a sandwich out of it. Grilled cheese, if you really wanna go overboard.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
My problem with that, and other similarly OTT concoctions, is that you're going to a lot of effort to make something that would be strictly worse than the constituent ingredients - baked macaroni cheese with pancetta or bacon is banging by itself. In that wellington form it's going to be a gloopy congealed stodge monster.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

first sous vide the elbow noodles

then blanch them

then roll them in cornstarch and par boil them

then drain and toss in olive oil and air fry them

next you need to crush them in a ziplock and sprinkle that on preexisting macaroni to make Nueroni

next you ball up the Nueroni and deep fry those balls

finally you finely grate the balls over a plate of spaghetti

optional, roll the whole thing in cake batter and sunbake it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Butterfly Valley posted:

My problem with that, and other similarly OTT concoctions, is that you're going to a lot of effort to make something that would be strictly worse than the constituent ingredients - baked macaroni cheese with pancetta or bacon is banging by itself. In that wellington form it's going to be a gloopy congealed stodge monster.
The full Wellington is probably too much but I'm now intrigued by the idea of a puff pastry lid to make sure your Mac and cheese top is extra crunchy.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3iGP_BnHB8

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure a pastry lid would just make the top of the macaroni soggy

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

steinrokkan posted:

I'm pretty sure a pastry lid would just make the top of the macaroni soggy
All of the artificial crispification of mac and cheese tops does unmentionable things to the macaroni or cheese so I feel like that'd be par for the course. The bonus with a pastry lid being like a pot pie you can soak crispy pastry in the bechamel.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

My mum used to add cheese and onion crisps, which was pretty good.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

zedprime posted:

All of the artificial crispification of mac and cheese tops does unmentionable things to the macaroni or cheese so I feel like that'd be par for the course. The bonus with a pastry lid being like a pot pie you can soak crispy pastry in the bechamel.

panko breadcrumbs never ruined my mac

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

LifeSunDeath posted:

first sous vide the elbow noodles

then blanch them

then roll them in cornstarch and par boil them

then drain and toss in olive oil and air fry them

next you need to crush them in a ziplock and sprinkle that on preexisting macaroni to make Nueroni

next you ball up the Nueroni and deep fry those balls

finally you finely grate the balls over a plate of spaghetti

optional, roll the whole thing in cake batter and sunbake it.
Can I drain the oil into the toilet since I'm already in the rest stop bathroom? Or is that bad for the pipes?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

Can I drain the oil into the toilet since I'm already in the rest stop bathroom? Or is that bad for the pipes?

it is good for the pipes, as a treat

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Just to clarify, I was reacting to one specific (American) poster who said that fries and chicken wings is a "standard Chinese takeout order" not characterizing all of England, misguided and demented as they may be.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nettle Soup posted:

A takeaway will pretty much never have a space to sit in. They're normally a counter with the fryers behind and a space to stand while you wait. You might get a couple of chairs or a windowsill to perch on, but that's it. It's one step up from street-food.

A restaurant will probably not do takeout, but might? I wouldn't rely on it though, and they're generally more authentic. I think it's to do with the walking / car culture difference between here and the US.

(and for fun, here's the menu of this random place I found on google, it is entirely generic)

Yeah, most places in the US, a takeout-centric place with no seating inside (A rare enough occurrence on its own in my experience) will usually have a set of picnic tables outside to sit at, even a food truck might carry a couple plastic tables and chairs to plop on the sidewalk.

e: Also, that menu shows like 2-3 times as much variety as the sit-down, dine-in Chinese restaurants I'm personally familiar with :stare:

Dareon has a new favorite as of 04:19 on May 6, 2023

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
"Char siu curry" sounds like it's going to be a lot less than the sum of its parts.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Nej, tack.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The story of an immigrant community building up their own unique cuisine by just slapping together what little they know to make a livin' in the strange different world they find themselves in can often be more interesting than the story of people immigrating already knowing everything to cook and doing basically what they would've done where they came from with just a few tweaks.

Only thing is that England doesn't really have as much of a history with Chinese immigrants forming their own evolving subculture as they do with Indian immigrants, so there's a pretty strong Indian influence in that menu.

Anyway have a rare example of another country doing its take on english food.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Needs a big slice of tomato in the middle of the plate.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

No r- oh. Good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

"Made for particular people by particular people." You know the kind.

wtfuck is “mock cream”