Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Prey was one of my favourite games that gen so Redfall makes me extra sad. I tried it anyway since it was on gamepass and it was the worst combination of dull and broken imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Rip Arkane the most recent victim of microshaft lame studios

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If Starfield is gargage, this might be the worst year for Xbox. They probably just have HiFi Rush which was good and Forza which will most likely be decent.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

We all know what Starfield will be. It will be the next Bethesda Game Studios game in the vein of Skyrim and Fallout 4, that is, huge in scope and buggy. If you vibe with the setting and can look past the bugs, you’ll love it, otherwise you’ll hate it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Time to talk about an eight year old ps4 game :

I am playing through rise of the tomb raider as it was a freebie on ps plus ages ago. I'm enjoying the core gameplay loop, and the graphics actually hold up really well, but holy hell what the gently caress is up with the writing? Like every single plot beat is predictable as hell, and the dialogue is so poe faced and lacking in wit or charm, it genuinely annoys me that someone has been paid to write it. Doubly a shame cos the writer seems like a decent enough egg, and is also the daughter of one of the most witty and inventive writers ever.

I'm being pretty harsh cos, as I said, the game is pretty good, but it's also very plot heavy, so I don't feel too bad for calling it out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The writing was one of the big failures of the tomb raider reboot, the first game was pretty good as a refreshing change of pace but the second two don't build on it at all and just have lara get more and more angry at herself while retreading the same ground and also discovering all the bad poo poo in her life was the fault of a massive conspiracy

There's a reason "this time she finally becomes the tomb raider" was a meme for a while

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah TR2013 had ok writing but Rise’s is truly terrible

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I really enjoyed Deathloop! Shame to hear that Redfall is so not good. I still need to get to Prey at some point.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

haveblue posted:

The writing was one of the big failures of the tomb raider reboot, the first game was pretty good as a refreshing change of pace but the second two don't build on it at all and just have lara get more and more angry at herself while retreading the same ground and also discovering all the bad poo poo in her life was the fault of a massive conspiracy

There's a reason "this time she finally becomes the tomb raider" was a meme for a while

They kinda shot themselves in the foot in the first reboot game by killing off nearly all of the supporting characters that they'd established were part of Lara's life.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I never really took to the newer TRs. They tried so hard to portray her as a normal human being but she just comes over as po-faced and boring af, and it left me pining for the cocky, smartarse posh thrillseeker on a never-ending search for new shinies to hoard away in her mansion vault. I just think back to how cool and matter of fact she was facing Natla in the Atlantean pyramid in the first game and laugh thinking how nuLara would react, she'd probably have a nervous breakdown on the spot.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Personally I think Rise of the Tomb Raider is easily the best of the three, visually and gameplay-wise, and the survival roguelike mode is actually pretty fun once you spend some time with it - though that one makes a terrible first impression by looking like some sort of mictrotransaction nigtmare due to the card mechanic and if you have the anniversary edition the game dumps an endless amount of unlocks on you when you first play it.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Sentinel Red posted:

Yes, yes, it's hilariously unoptimised to an embarrassing degree. It's also just drat Good Star Wars, so much better than its predecessor, I had such a good time with this. At times it comes close to giving the sense of absurd power and movement that the old Clone Wars short with Mace Windu vs a thousand Battle Droids (who low key steal the show in this), it's delightful. The assorted weirdos you gather in the bar are ridiculously charming, there's some truly stunning set pieces, it has cosmetic options up the wazzoo this time (redneck mullet & tache Cal is Best Cal), yet is never prone to frustrating difficulty spikes like Fallen Order had.

Basically, Cal & BD & Merrin & Greez 4ever.

This is kind of a hard feeling to express, but Cal dashing through the Coruscant underworld with his lightsaber unleashed and ships whizzing by really evokes vibes of Star Wars EU and other sci-fi paperback book covers that I'd see on the racks as a kid more than any movie ever has. As for frustrating difficulty spikes, though, having a real hard time with this goddamn rancor on the first planet . Perhaps its best to grind for a bit or do other things and come back later.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ErrEff posted:

They kinda shot themselves in the foot in the first reboot game by killing off nearly all of the supporting characters that they'd established were part of Lara's life.

They didn’t though. Roth and Alex died, but Samantha, Joslin, and Jonah all live.

The sequels just kinda forgot about Sam and Joslin… kinda weird since Sam was portrayed as being very close to Lara and you spent most of the game trying to rescue her.

Rise was the best of the trilogy in terms of gameplay. But yeah the story of both sequels were just full of bad choices. Wonder if the new game under Embracer will try to salvage it or just start from scratch. They probably really should just reboot again. At this point Lara is really hard to like and they haven’t laid the foundation for anything interesting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rental Sting posted:

This is kind of a hard feeling to express, but Cal dashing through the Coruscant underworld with his lightsaber unleashed and ships whizzing by really evokes vibes of Star Wars EU and other sci-fi paperback book covers that I'd see on the racks as a kid more than any movie ever has. As for frustrating difficulty spikes, though, having a real hard time with this goddamn rancor on the first planet . Perhaps its best to grind for a bit or do other things and come back later.

That's the only thing so far that's took a few tries and while it hits hard there are big gaps where it basically does nothing, so you get a couple of hits in, wait to see what it's doing, counter, attack again. Realising the game wanted you to jump over the stomps was a big part too since it's unblockable but doesn't have the red glow. Getting that and the parry timing for the swipes was about all it took.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bugblatter posted:

The sequels just kinda forgot about Sam and Joslin… kinda weird since Sam was portrayed as being very close to Lara and you spent most of the game trying to rescue her.

There's a brief mention of Sam in Rise where it mentions she quit the adventuring scene for mental health reasons. Which, considering what happens to her in TR2013, is understandable

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
:siren: Year of the RPG from Japan :siren:

Number 10:

Final Fantasy II

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I know that messed with the numbering in the west, but it wasn’t that bad, c’mon.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

fridge corn posted:

:siren: Year of the RPG from Japan :siren:

Number 10:

Final Fantasy II

Hell yeah, I just did my platinum yesterday too.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The true crime of Tomb Raider reboot was there being no way to lock even a single butler in a single freezer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At no point did Redfall look good, but I really wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Arkane is such a strange dev. Their track record is just sort of all over the place. And even at their best their games have had issues generally. This is the first one everyone seems to agree is a stinker though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

The Perfect Element posted:

I am playing through rise of the tomb raider as it was a freebie on ps plus ages ago. I'm enjoying the core gameplay loop, and the graphics actually hold up really well, but holy hell what the gently caress is up with the writing? Like every single plot beat is predictable as hell, and the dialogue is so poe faced and lacking in wit or charm, it genuinely annoys me that someone has been paid to write it. Doubly a shame cos the writer seems like a decent enough egg, and is also the daughter of one of the most witty and inventive writers ever.

I'm being pretty harsh cos, as I said, the game is pretty good, but it's also very plot heavy, so I don't feel too bad for calling it out.

I played the entire rebooted TR trilogy awhile back and its funny how they follow the Arkham model:

-first one is a tight, linear experience with some backtracking, a surprisingly fleshed out plot, and some collectibles if you're into that
-the second has some pretty big combat improvements but also adds an open world with multiple side quests, a million collectibles, etc
-the third goes even bigger open world, more collectibles, 30 pieces of DLC, dozens of sidequests, and mostly sucks

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
dishonored through Prey including the Dishonored dlc was really solid imo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

I played the entire rebooted TR trilogy awhile back and its funny how they follow the Arkham model:

-first one is a tight, linear experience with some backtracking, a surprisingly fleshed out plot, and some collectibles if you're into that
-the second has some pretty big combat improvements but also adds an open world with multiple side quests, a million collectibles, etc
-the third goes even bigger open world, more collectibles, 30 pieces of DLC, dozens of sidequests, and mostly sucks

Arkham Knight was way better than Shadow of the TR though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

At no point did Redfall look good, but I really wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Arkane is such a strange dev. Their track record is just sort of all over the place. And even at their best their games have had issues generally. This is the first one everyone seems to agree is a stinker though.

Their best games tend to just have technical issues like frame rate and input lag, the underlying game design more than makes up for it. Redfall is the first one where even if it performed flawlessly the game would still be rear end

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Redfall has the unpleasant distinction of the first Arkane game to be MS-exclusive and brings into question what kind of quality one can expect from other titles in this vein such as Starfield. Like, being "buggy as poo poo with a terribly loving UI Skyrim in space" is a given, but Redfall was expected to be just Farcry w/ vampires and it failed terribly at even hitting that goal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's just kind of baffling for a studio that specializes in immersive sims to make a game about vampires, an enemy that can canonically be killed in about half a dozen fun improvisational ways, and turn it into another shoot gun game.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

seeing how much of a hot mess Starfield will be is going to be very much interesting. the budget, scale, and dev time problem that every (or maybe mostly western?) AAA game seems to have now is one that Bethesda has suffered from for decades and has only gotten more pronounced with each release. will Starfield finally be the Bethesda game that is so riddled with bugs, so unplayable that their audience can't ignore it?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

grieving for Gandalf posted:

seeing how much of a hot mess Starfield will be is going to be very much interesting. the budget, scale, and dev time problem that every (or maybe mostly western?) AAA game seems to have now is one that Bethesda has suffered from for decades and has only gotten more pronounced with each release. will Starfield finally be the Bethesda game that is so riddled with bugs, so unplayable that their audience can't ignore it?

lol and no

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Absolutely not. Todd could poo poo in a bucket and call it Skyrim 2 and there would be legions of people waiting to purchase it and extol its virtues.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
Was Deathloop janky/buggy at release? I played it a year after and found it pretty solid and enjoyable, did Sony put some of their own muscle in it to make sure it launched in an acceptable state?

I just think it's incredible that Microsoft looked at redfall and said " yep, this looks good, release it right between Burning Shores and Zelda/FF16"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

The cans are too big. You can kind of force it to work but imo it's just not comfy enough with the helmet set correctly. Maybe the shape of your head is friendlier to it.

Bad Parenting posted:

Yeah I had the same issue with the H7's and PSVR2, had to dig out my pulse 3d headset for VR stuff

Maybe I just got lucky with head shape, but they seem fine to me. I have to expand them to their largest size and then collapse them a bit like I did with my last headphones. It's definitely a somewhat tight fit though.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

The Perfect Element posted:

I kinda want you to play Shadow of TR. Because of Rise was forgettable Shadows was jaw droppingly... like not even bad but made Laura Croft absolutely detestable.

I seriously wondered at times if the game was sneakily about British imperialism and cultural theft because it made Laura Croft into this incredibly unlikable villain that kills countless indigenous people and can't think about anyone but herself for 5 seconds.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hopefully the fatalism of the Xbox CEO being all "yeah we lost this round" leads to them just up and releasing Starfield on PS5 at some point because I love dat Bethesda jank but not enough to buy a console lol

veni veni veni posted:

Arkham Knight was way better than Shadow of the TR though.

And Arkham Asylum is way better than TR2013 but they're still the best one of their respective trilogies :colbert:

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Bethesda jank is the sweetest of all jank

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Absolutely not. Todd could poo poo in a bucket and call it Skyrim 2 and there would be legions of people waiting to purchase it and extol its virtues.

yeah I also don't think so, but it's only going to get worse from here. they couldn't even make it look good for the big reveal

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
I want starfield on ps5 with ps3 level of save bugs that never get fixed

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol I watched about 5 minutes of VaatiVidya attempting to make an armored core 6 video and it’s pretty much what you’d imagine.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Lol I watched about 5 minutes of VaatiVidya attempting to make an armored core 6 video and it’s pretty much what you’d imagine.

"This mech, ruined, waiting by the side of this building. What was it doing here? By examining it's guns and the position of its legs, scattered across the ground, one can..."

Or was it him putting together a mech for like an hour that doesn't immediately max out heat and explode with a thousand guns because I think that's what I expect would be my experience.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Although to his credit dude did his homework on the AC story, frankly I don’t remember any of this poo poo. This is actually not a bad watch he’s going into the old games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

veni veni veni posted:

Gotta make bank somehow