Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah musk is a typical dumb rich guy. most rich guys are dumb, most rich guys also think that being rich is proof that they're smarter than everyone else, being rich gives them power, this is a combination that is both very annoying and also frequently lethal to literally anyone but the rich dumb guy in question (usually).

and also he is just a giant balding adult 4th grader doodling about rockets landing on mars and cars travelling in layers of tunnels and poo poo on the back cover of his wide rule notebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

loving longtermism, speaking of scams

https://twitter.com/realdennislynch/status/1654314290927611904

lol

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

hailthefish posted:

yeah musk is a typical dumb rich guy. most rich guys are dumb, most rich guys also think that being rich is proof that they're smarter than everyone else, being rich gives them power, this is a combination that is both very annoying and also frequently lethal to literally anyone but the rich dumb guy in question (usually).

and also he is just a giant balding adult 4th grader doodling about rockets landing on mars and cars travelling in layers of tunnels and poo poo on the back cover of his wide rule notebook

this only serves to validate the virtues of communism, letting oligarchs run the country under capitalism can only lead to destruction

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I would simply not worry about climate until it's too late

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

I would simply not worry about climate until it's too late

ah, the Boomer's Gambit™, coming to Netflix this fall

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Hey 16 bits, could you leave your fetish out of the leper colony? It's a bit weird when it's not even in the same ball park of the post you probed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

he (and others) have constructed a moral system where all of their actions today are correct Because they believe in the future something that they define as good will happen.

I don’t know if if actually believes it. I don’t know.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s kind of Calvinist I guess. musk believes he is predestined to save humanity so that means “logically” that everyone he does is OK

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"I'll be dead before 2050"

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

yes in the sense i think he genuinely believes that when he says it but I don't think there's anything resembling a long term strategy or plan so much as just blurting whatever pops into his head at a given time and he's a big doofus.

basically i think he is like a lot of dumb guys that think they are smart in that he thinks he's the first one that ever thought of something. i think i said earlier in this thread that to me he is the apex of the "idea guy" from many mmo/game forums that doesn't really have a skill (even his paypal code was legendarily lovely) but just wants to sit around and think up great ideas. like in an mmo it'd be like "pfft why don't you just take the skill system of star wars galaxies and the pvp system of ultima online but have a fully destructible world bing bong so simple, the only reason devs don't do it is they're lazy".

well if you have even a modicum of knowledge of software development, game development, game knowledge, etc., you'd know it's not "devs are lazy" so much as "the skill system of star wars galaxies" and "the pvp system of ultima online" and "a fully destructible world" are all incredibly complex problems *on their own* to say nothing of MMOs on their own being incredibly complex, so mashing all four of those things together is building something exponentially complex if it could even theoretically be done. and then, of course, you have the biggest questions: would you be making something people would even want to play? would it sell? would it be any good?

but the thing is: to an idea guy, it is not the "doing of the thing" that is hard because they have no idea how to do it and they don't really care. to them it is "merely" doing the work so they don't value it at all. To them the hard part is "coming up with the great idea". like ANYONE can write game code, PFFT, but *I alone* have the secret of success in my Great Idea.

in games idea guys are always crushed/pissed when they run into actual game developers who tell them "um yeah literally all of us have hundreds of great ideas for things we'd like to do, have you ever actually, like, made a game? because it's pretty hard. you should probably do that." the number of "idea guys" that actually have jobs as "idea guys", you could probably count on your hands, and usually they have shipped enough titles that they can kind of coast on their cool ideas (because they actually have cool ideas that actually do make good games that actually do sell, these are all important).

ol' musky is a little bit different in that he has a shitload of money so he can buy his way into companies. as we've heard about in this thread, at many of those he's had entire teams of people dedicated to showing him shiny things and massaging his ego and keeping him away from the people who actually do work and telling him "of course sir brilliant idea sir" and he gets to actually BE the idea guy and boss the engineers around but, like, he's always bought his way into reasonably competent places that can take the blow of having a doofus in charge to generate publicity and drive sales while the engineers actually build the product. like yeah, he makes stupid decisions at tesla and the fart app is dumb as poo poo, but he does sell cars. i mean that has literally been the largely successful legal strategy in several Tesla-related trials. "yeah he's full of poo poo, but everyone knows it, and the guy sells lots of cars."

the problem is at twitter, that ablative layer of "keep ol' musky from touching the important poo poo" people wasn't in place so he's actually loving with stuff that matters and twitter isn't a hype and sales and government contract driven company. twitter is a content and user driven company. twitter is driven by the twitter-brained weirdos that love tweeting, so you need to keep them engaged, and a lot of them were the very libs and the lib media class he set out to antagonize from the beginning because he bought the line it was government censorship keeping conservatives down in the town square and once he freed the speech everyone would back him because america.

anyway his fans do relate to him because he is literally a I loving Love Science guy like them. does he *actually have* a plan to make mars remotely livable? lmao, no, of course not. nasa has vague plans to build a base on the moon and there are some ideas but it is extremely hard if you know a thing about it. but if you don't know anything at all, it seems easy. "i would simply build a big rocket out of, i dunno, stainless steel or something, then i'd fly some people to mars, build a base, bing bong the light of consciousness is extended, so simple."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thread title

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

thats too long

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

thats too long

that's what she said

lurkeskywalker
Jul 12, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Thank you Elon.

Thanks Elon

Thelon

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

that's what she said

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Filthy Hans posted:

that's what she said

not to elon

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

[Musk]: USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

you stupid gently caress! where do you think your fuckin money comes from!?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he's right. global warming is overblown

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it snows how can the world be heating up smh

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

global warming has peaked

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

euphronius posted:

global warming has peaked

it does every year

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lmao how do you think it gets to a long term problem

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

how the gently caress do you both sides global warming

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

shyduck posted:

how the gently caress do you both sides global warming

Very carelessly

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1654479910713294851

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

you stupid gently caress! where do you think your fuckin money comes from!?

i cannot grasp how he thinks courting the people who think BEVs are useless is a good idea. my OE is going to be releasing one soon and we are totally all in on eco friendly messaging (just please don't blame us for the last 100 years do not look behind the curtain)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

yes in the sense i think he genuinely believes that when he says it but I don't think there's anything resembling a long term strategy or plan so much as just blurting whatever pops into his head at a given time and he's a big doofus.

basically i think he is like a lot of dumb guys that think they are smart in that he thinks he's the first one that ever thought of something. i think i said earlier in this thread that to me he is the apex of the "idea guy" from many mmo/game forums that doesn't really have a skill (even his paypal code was legendarily lovely) but just wants to sit around and think up great ideas. like in an mmo it'd be like "pfft why don't you just take the skill system of star wars galaxies and the pvp system of ultima online but have a fully destructible world bing bong so simple, the only reason devs don't do it is they're lazy".

well if you have even a modicum of knowledge of software development, game development, game knowledge, etc., you'd know it's not "devs are lazy" so much as "the skill system of star wars galaxies" and "the pvp system of ultima online" and "a fully destructible world" are all incredibly complex problems *on their own* to say nothing of MMOs on their own being incredibly complex, so mashing all four of those things together is building something exponentially complex if it could even theoretically be done. and then, of course, you have the biggest questions: would you be making something people would even want to play? would it sell? would it be any good?

but the thing is: to an idea guy, it is not the "doing of the thing" that is hard because they have no idea how to do it and they don't really care. to them it is "merely" doing the work so they don't value it at all. To them the hard part is "coming up with the great idea". like ANYONE can write game code, PFFT, but *I alone* have the secret of success in my Great Idea.

in games idea guys are always crushed/pissed when they run into actual game developers who tell them "um yeah literally all of us have hundreds of great ideas for things we'd like to do, have you ever actually, like, made a game? because it's pretty hard. you should probably do that." the number of "idea guys" that actually have jobs as "idea guys", you could probably count on your hands, and usually they have shipped enough titles that they can kind of coast on their cool ideas (because they actually have cool ideas that actually do make good games that actually do sell, these are all important).

ol' musky is a little bit different in that he has a shitload of money so he can buy his way into companies. as we've heard about in this thread, at many of those he's had entire teams of people dedicated to showing him shiny things and massaging his ego and keeping him away from the people who actually do work and telling him "of course sir brilliant idea sir" and he gets to actually BE the idea guy and boss the engineers around but, like, he's always bought his way into reasonably competent places that can take the blow of having a doofus in charge to generate publicity and drive sales while the engineers actually build the product. like yeah, he makes stupid decisions at tesla and the fart app is dumb as poo poo, but he does sell cars. i mean that has literally been the largely successful legal strategy in several Tesla-related trials. "yeah he's full of poo poo, but everyone knows it, and the guy sells lots of cars."

the problem is at twitter, that ablative layer of "keep ol' musky from touching the important poo poo" people wasn't in place so he's actually loving with stuff that matters and twitter isn't a hype and sales and government contract driven company. twitter is a content and user driven company. twitter is driven by the twitter-brained weirdos that love tweeting, so you need to keep them engaged, and a lot of them were the very libs and the lib media class he set out to antagonize from the beginning because he bought the line it was government censorship keeping conservatives down in the town square and once he freed the speech everyone would back him because america.

anyway his fans do relate to him because he is literally a I loving Love Science guy like them. does he *actually have* a plan to make mars remotely livable? lmao, no, of course not. nasa has vague plans to build a base on the moon and there are some ideas but it is extremely hard if you know a thing about it. but if you don't know anything at all, it seems easy. "i would simply build a big rocket out of, i dunno, stainless steel or something, then i'd fly some people to mars, build a base, bing bong the light of consciousness is extended, so simple."

concerning

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

He's right.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1654491581389365249?t=reKt5epayicZ2fTpXPprJA&s=19

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I enjoyed the Star Wars Galaxies reference, really takes me back to before I was employed.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

thats too long

:elon: :elon:

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

if I wasn't convinced before that he had a bot farm feeding him likes and affirmative comments, I am now

who could look at that and go "yeah that's reasonable," even among climate change deniers

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Conflict of interest? Let me tell you about conflict of interest. There's an organization, let's call it the schmefDA that expects me to not chop open the heads of disabled people and shove barely functional electronics inside. This puts their selfish need for medical ethics ahead of the greater good of giving Elon Musk money.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

ikanreed posted:

Conflict of interest? Let me tell you about conflict of interest. There's an organization, let's call it the schmefDA that expects me to not chop open the heads of disabled people and shove barely functional electronics inside. This puts their selfish need for medical ethics ahead of the greater good of giving Elon Musk money.

Don't forget that they want him to stop shipping the bloody removed implants in bare cardboard boxes. How is anything supposed to get done if they have to clean every little biohazard and ship it in secure sealed containers??

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

a report could come out that says neuralink scientists are just welding RAM sticks onto live monkeys and i would be horrified but 0% surprised

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
As an ideas guy postings like yours are oddly therapeutic. So thank you.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

oh good so we can stop subsidizing his stupid car company. No need to funnel money to it since we don’t need an immediate solution like EVs

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i played the hell outta star wars galaxies i tell u that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

That DICK! posted:

i played the hell outta star wars galaxies i tell u that

me too

i couldn't find a job after tech school for months and played galaxies to avoid thinking about serious things