Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... why DID the SDF-1 have the ability to turn into a giant robot (one that would had tiny t-rex arms at that before having the aircraft carriers attached) anyways? Is that ever explained anywhere at all in any of the media?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a Netflix doco series called "The Toys That Made Us" and the episode on He-Man revealed that Battle Cat was a repurposed tiger from some other toy line with a repaint. It was way out of scale though, so they slapped a saddle on it

What's the quote about it? "I don't give a poo poo, put a loving saddle on it!"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Asterite34 posted:

Already a Rick & Morty episode, and a pretty bad one at that

Well THAT narrows it down!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

There was a Captain Planet crossover with OK KO a few years back and the end was kind of depressing.

'Yeah we tried to tell everyone to take care of the Earth like thirty years ago but no one listened and now poo poo's hosed, just do what you can to stall the planet's inevitable destruction now.'

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGgoJQrJNDU

The Battle Cat sculpt was originally from the BIG JIM toyline. :allears:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

It's pretty hilarious how so many beloved classic pop culture properties were chucked together by harried dudes at toy companies who just needed to get poo poo completed and out the door and had no idea that nerds would be pouring over the "lore" for the next 40 to 50 years. Pretty much all the Transformers characters and the setting and the entire backstory of planet Cybertron and everything was thrown together over a single weekend by some comicbook writer who'd been sent over to Hasbro by Marvel as a one-off gig

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Already a Rick & Morty episode, and a pretty bad one at that

Rick and Morty has good episodes?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Byzantine posted:

I'd say it started off with mostly good episodes but with a terrible fan base. Haven't seen the later seasons so I have no idea how much it doubled down on the bad poo poo.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vandar posted:

There was a Captain Planet crossover with OK KO a few years back and the end was kind of depressing.

'Yeah we tried to tell everyone to take care of the Earth like thirty years ago but no one listened and now poo poo's hosed, just do what you can to stall the planet's inevitable destruction now.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGgoJQrJNDU

The Battle Cat sculpt was originally from the BIG JIM toyline. :allears:

The "aw poo poo" when he finds out his boss likes it is the best part

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

It's easily my fave episode of that whole series so far.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Masters of the universe live action movie used the same script as Canon’s would be new gods film-they just picked up another sci-fi fantasy and did a find and replace when they lost the license

Which is from that documentary on canon films from a few years back which is absolutely worth watching

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

It's pretty hilarious how so many beloved classic pop culture properties were chucked together by harried dudes at toy companies who just needed to get poo poo completed and out the door and had no idea that nerds would be pouring over the "lore" for the next 40 to 50 years. Pretty much all the Transformers characters and the setting and the entire backstory of planet Cybertron and everything was thrown together over a single weekend by some comicbook writer who'd been sent over to Hasbro by Marvel as a one-off gig

This the root of Venom's creation and why comic companies have big yearly crossover events.

Mattel lost the bid to make DC toys so they went to Marvel and said 'We want to make toys of your characters, can you write a series about them all teaming up and fighting each?'

Then when the were designing the toys they didn't have enough money to paint Spider-Man his normal colors so they went with black and a little white and asked Marvel to write the new suit into the story.

Fans and writers ended up not liking the suit for different reasons and the toys were discontinued so they decided the suit was intelligent and evil so Spider-Man could get rid of it.

Running out of money for paint is also why Snake Eyes is a ninja.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

Randalor posted:

... why DID the SDF-1 have the ability to turn into a giant robot (one that would had tiny t-rex arms at that before having the aircraft carriers attached) anyways? Is that ever explained anywhere at all in any of the media?

If I remember right from the Robotech novelizations, when the SDF-1 made that misfold that ended up taking them and Macross City out to the edge of the solar system, some of the internal components folded right out of existence. Reconfiguring the ship's form was to make the necessary connections so they could fire the main gun again. That the transformation also made it look like a glorious mile-tall knight was an untended but welcome side effect.

e:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This the root of Venom's creation and why comic companies have big yearly crossover events.

Mattel lost the bid to make DC toys so they went to Marvel and said 'We want to make toys of your characters, can you write a series about them all teaming up and fighting each?'

Then when the were designing the toys they didn't have enough money to paint Spider-Man his normal colors so they went with black and a little white and asked Marvel to write the new suit into the story.

Fans and writers ended up not liking the suit for different reasons and the toys were discontinued so they decided the suit was intelligent and evil so Spider-Man could get rid of it.

Woah, I don't know anything about the toy production, but as far as the comics that's not what happened. People loved the black costume. So much so that even after Parker was separated from the symbiote, they give him a cloth version so he can still wear it AND make the costume into an independent character (who also becomes so well-liked that they try casting him as a hero despite being a delusional killer)

Stonehouse Beach has a new favorite as of 19:44 on May 5, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Running out of money for paint is also why Snake Eyes is a ninja.

Spider-Man’s black suit was an unsolicited suggestion sent to Marvel by an adult who loved comic books. Randy Schueller was paid $220.00 for the rights to his black suit design and sent a letter of thanks from Jim Shooter: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Costume_Saga

However, the black suit was used for way longer than intended and moved to be part of Secret Wars because Mattel wanted to release two different Spiderman toys, and that’s probably why it was changed to be an alien parasite that fought Spiderman.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"That's not what I meant when I said there should be a Black Spider-Man!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Byzantine posted:

Not any more

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think Rick and Morty has a lot of good episodes, but it suffers from the same thing Invader Zim does.

The fans. The ones who don't even understand what they're watching.

It's like the trekkies who think voting republican is perfectly in line with the shows morality. (Ignoring Discovery and Picard)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's the difference between people who identify with Rick, and people who recognise that the psychiatrist in the pickle rick episode is completely correct and portayed as such. Rick turning into a pickle is purely pathetic because he's avoiding facing an uncomfortable conversation like a huge baby.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Edge & Christian posted:

It doesn't seem to be remotely true, Captain Planet had 113 episodes, which puts it behind Doug (117), Rugrats (172), the original TMNT (193), Arthur (253), and Spongebob Squarepants (284) off the top of my head. The last two stretch into the 2000s so it's possible those don't 'count' as longest running in the 1990s, and TMNT started in 1987 so that might disqualify it.

At first blush, Captain Planet might be the longest running show that began and ended in the 1990s, but even then I believe Rugrats, TMNT and Arthur had more individual episodes released in the 1990s than Captain Planet. And that's not even getting into the shows that were rebranded repeatedly for syndication/marketing/etc. reasons; Batman the Animated Series/Adventurs of Batman & Robin/New Batman Adventures/Batman Beyond adds up to 200+, and Animaniacs/Pinky & the Brain comes close to 200 as well. This also doesn't include prime time animation, non-American animation, etc.

But with enough asterisks, Captain Planet is the longest running children's series produced in the United States that did not get renamed during its run and both began and ended in the decade of the 1990s animated program.

What channel was it even on? I never saw it when I was a kid.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

skooma512 posted:

i had it on one of the network channels on the 3 pm after school slot or the early morning before school slot. couldn't tell you which

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

i had it on one of the network channels on the 3 pm after school slot or the early morning before school slot. couldn't tell you which

I want to say either it was on a few because I guess it's a pro-enviromental show, or it was on Fox, because I remember seeing it in Canada when I had no cable.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's one cartoon that's aged surprisingly well but fell into being lost media that seems that only I am aware of, UK cartoon Captain Zed and the Zee Zone. There is a single youtube channel with about 10 surviving episodes (other eps exist but are unwatchable due to audio-visual issues) that are low quality but legible enough to understand and appreciate the art, and there are some neat premises and subplots between the episodes that show that it really wanted to explore the setting of the Dream Patrol

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Randalor posted:

I want to say either it was on a few because I guess it's a pro-enviromental show, or it was on Fox, because I remember seeing it in Canada when I had no cable.

i was always trying to catch DBZ and B:TAS so Fox would track

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

There's one cartoon that's aged surprisingly well but fell into being lost media that seems that only I am aware of, UK cartoon Captain Zed and the Zee Zone. There is a single youtube channel with about 10 surviving episodes (other eps exist but are unwatchable due to audio-visual issues) that are low quality but legible enough to understand and appreciate the art, and there are some neat premises and subplots between the episodes that show that it really wanted to explore the setting of the Dream Patrol

There is no way you're not casting the same magic here as in Games - you're going to have caused this thing to have materialized out of the ether now! :aaaaa:

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

BioEnchanted posted:

It's the difference between people who identify with Rick, and people who recognise that the psychiatrist in the pickle rick episode is completely correct and portayed as such. Rick turning into a pickle is purely pathetic because he's avoiding facing an uncomfortable conversation like a huge baby.

Also that an alcoholic literally pickled himself. The message of the episode could literally not be more on the nose, but all people heard was "I'm pickle Rick".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Also that an alcoholic literally pickled himself. The message of the episode could literally not be more on the nose, but all people heard was "I'm pickle Rick".
That's because literally half of that episode is spent with Rick hard-willing an exoskeleton made of rat and cockroach parts and fighting his way through a bunch of challenges. The punchline is supposed to be that once we leave his POV we see that he is "covered in rat brains and fecal matter, literally vegetating on my couch" but the episode-- frankly-- doesn't do a good enough job. It runs on autopilot for a while as the animation team does lots of kinetic and engaging work and lacks any real stylistic tricks to tell the audience visually that the shift has occurred, reliant on "tell" and trusting the audience to have a reading level above age six. As with most R&M it tries to have things both ways and ends up just kind-of inert.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

skooma512 posted:

The first run was on TBS, befitting a Ted Turner production. At some point it went into syndication, too.

The whole Venom/Secret Wars/etc. stuff is all very weird in hindsight. All of the stuff mentioned by I AM GRANDO is accurate, but from an interview from 2005:

quote:

TOM DEFALCO: In regard to Secret Wars, as far as our sales department was concerned, we were essentially doing a toy tie-in book That's all it was. Marvel did not expect it to do well Not only that, but word of Spider-Man getting a new costume leaked out... we started getting tons and tons of hate mail. So much so, Jim Shooter came to me and said, "the costume is introduced in [Amazing Spider-Man] #252, get rid of it in #253."
RON FRENZ: Yeah, everything was changing from day to day as they were getting word from outside.
DEFALCO: We heard from the licensing department, and they were all pissed off saying "we're licensing the blue-and-red costume! Get rid of the black costume!" [...] I went into [Shooter's] office and remember arguing with him We couldn't get rid of the costume that quickly. Spider-Man was getting his costume in Secret Wars, so we would be getting rid of the suit before we saw him actually get it.
FRENZ: That's right, the black costume wasn't introduced until mid-way through Secret Wars in issue eight...

As it was, the issue where Spider-Man gets the black costume came out at the end of August 1984, and the issue where Spider-Man goes back to his 'classic' costume came out only a week later. But by this point, there was a lot of attention from changing Spider-Man's costume for the first time in twenty-five years, so it kept coming back for various story contrivances, despite portions of the fanbase, creators, and marketing department disliking it.

Nearly four years later when Venom was introduced, it was in part to give an in-universe explanation as to why Spider-Man wouldn't wear the black costume anymore, since Venom was a big scary man who traumatized Mary Jane while wearing Spider-Man's black costume. This has not stopped them from bringing in back repeatedly since then

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Captain Planet loving sucked

and to think they canceled SWAT Kats for it (though SWAT Kats might arguably be considered fascist copaganda)

Randalor posted:

Macross started as pretty much a Gundam/Real Robot parody before deciding to take itself seriously halfway through. The Macross turns into a kilometer-tall giant robot because it's kind of funny for the transforming giant robot show to have a titular space battleship that is also a transforming giant robot

what is this robotech you speak of, never heard of it :colbert:

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 01:40 on May 6, 2023

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Leading to one of my favorite pieces of Transformers media to date, this page:

The characters all standing around, facing random directions, sometimes out of scale, sometimes drawn completely differently than the way they would appear in every comic after this page just saying their own names and a vague description of what they might do. Why hasn't this been adapted into any of the movies?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Edge & Christian posted:

As it was, the issue where Spider-Man gets the black costume came out at the end of August 1984
Spider-Man also has his black costume in his one and only appearance in the Transformers comic series; showing up to team up with Gears of all robots in issue 3 of the Transformers limited series (which ended up running for around 80 issues).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

NorgLyle posted:

Spider-Man also has his black costume in his one and only appearance in the Transformers comic series; showing up to team up with Gears of all robots in issue 3 of the Transformers limited series (which ended up running for around 80 issues).

Was that the black costume or was that one of the issues they had to paint over Spider-Man for the reprints?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

Was that the black costume or was that one of the issues they had to paint over Spider-Man for the reprints?
Apparently it was his actual black costume because, and I am not making this up, another company had recently released a Spider-Man action figure and Hasbro didn't want to advertise for another company's toy so they insisted that the crossover feature his black suit even though it had been discarded, as Edge & Christian said, several months earlier in actual continuity.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

NorgLyle posted:

Apparently it was his actual black costume because, and I am not making this up, another company had recently released a Spider-Man action figure and Hasbro didn't want to advertise for another company's toy so they insisted that the crossover feature his black suit even though it had been discarded, as Edge & Christian said, several months earlier in actual continuity.
I... don't think that's accurate? The Marvel Superhero Secret Wars toys came out in 1984. The first line included TWO Spider-Man action figures, one featuring the classic red and blue costume, the second with the black costume. Both were made by Hasbro Mattel, as part of the Secret Wars line. What other company had the Spider-Man license in the early 1980s?

Spider-Man's red and blue costume also appears in the first seven of twelve issues of the Secret Wars comic that was designed to promote the toys, since he doesn't get the black costume until the third act of the series. It's true that they'd written out the alien symbiote costume before all twelve issues of Secret Wars was released, but they also gave him a non-symbiote black costume to wear a month later, which he wore on and off for years.

The Transformers comic where he guest stars in the black costume came out in the month between the symbiote being written out and the non-symbiote black suit being introduced, but it's explicitly the symbiote costume, and the Transformers comic itself features a footnote saying that the story takes place before Amazing Spider-Man #258, which had been released a few weeks prior.

The (non-symbiote) black costume stuck around (with him swapping costumes largely based on what the artist felt like drawing, it seemed) for years after both the Secret Wars mini-series and the toy line were both finished, so any decisions made about the costume were presumably not influenced by Hasbro Mattel.

Edge & Christian has a new favorite as of 03:35 on May 6, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Didn’t Mattel make the secret wars toys?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I AM GRANDO posted:

Didn’t Mattel make the secret wars toys?
They did, I don't really know that much about action figures and mixed up Hasbro and Mattel. The point is more that Mattel was, to my knowledge, the only company making Marvel/Spider-Man action figures in the 1980s, at least until Toy Biz did several years later. And I guess Mego dolls in the 1970s? I will amend my previous post.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Mattel, some will note, is not Hasbro. Hasbro didn't want to 'advertise' for Mattel's action figure in 'their' comic book.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

NorgLyle posted:

Mattel, some will note, is not Hasbro. Hasbro didn't want to 'advertise' for Mattel's action figure in 'their' comic book.
I did misunderstand your point, but the story still doesn't make a lot of sense. With the understanding of what you were talking about, I did find an interview with Bob Budiansky talking about how Hasbro rejected the idea for the reasons you outlined, where he says "we had just introduced a new black costume for Spider-Man, so [Jim Salicrup] said [to Hasbro], "why don't we put him in the black costume, because the toy company's license is for the red and blue costume. So when we said we'd put Spider-Man in the black costume, Hasbro approved it."

Assuming Budiansky is remembering this story correctly, there was some serious miscommunication, since the competitor's toy line they did not want to 'advertise' was the entire reason for Spider-Man having a black costume, and the black costumed Spider-Man was part of the line of toys.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

skooma512 posted:

as mentioned, it originally ran on TBS, then would show up on network channels (channel 9 over here in L.A.) and Cartoon Network in the late 90s. Currently it's airing on boomerang, i believe

Woolie Wool posted:

and to think they canceled SWAT Kats for it (though SWAT Kats might arguably be considered fascist copaganda)

whaaat? i thought it got canceled cause turner thought it was too violent?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sobatchja Morda posted:

There is no way you're not casting the same magic here as in Games - you're going to have caused this thing to have materialized out of the ether now! :aaaaa:

Look upon my works, ye mighty, and enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7xBRbHI5IpiXo6UiYLqs1PPVi9hJeG23

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

lord funk posted:

I'm still mad that the teenagers with RINGS OF ELEMENTAL POWER couldn't ever do poo poo to stop a dude poluting in a river. Like, you can burst a mountain from the ground, Earth dude, just with a wave of your hand. loving DO SOMETHING USEFUL.
Well, if they'd shown that powerful people can single-handedly effect great change beyond the means of normal people it would have undermined the message that the real solution to environmental issues is taking shorter showers and recycling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Well, if they'd shown that powerful people can single-handedly effect great change beyond the means of normal people it would have undermined the message that the real solution to environmental issues is taking shorter showers and recycling.

i remember watching the episode with the ozone hole and seeing it end with captain planet telling the planeteers "sorry, but even i can't fix that. it's up to all of you out there to do so" and thinking to myself "wait, how can you NOT fix it? don't you have the power of the goddamned PLANET? :argh: "