Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
In his cameo in It Part 2 his character tells Bill he liked his book, but didn't care for the ending. He's definitely aware of the perception his endings sometimes suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That’s true, I’d have to think about which King book I like the best that also has an admittedly weak ending.

It might be why Fairy Tale ranks pretty high for me, it rushes the ending a bit but pulls it off pretty well I think.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m curious, did anyone reading Fairy Tale expect the ending to just be a convenient “only a few minutes passed since going through the gate” thing you’d expect in an actual fairy tale and not having to awkwardly explain being AWOL to everyone for three months? I don’t hate or even dislike that that’s how the epilogue ended up playing out but I was surprised.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
If you want to see a mother of 2 kids who has no idea what Pet Sematary is about, react to the movie this is the video for you. Honestly this a great reaction.

Spoiler: she texts her mother who is watching her kids for a picture of them.

https://youtu.be/pZtVleNyw9g

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I look forward to the day that guy is watching movies by himself because he's completely destroyed any trust his wife had in him.

Like, it's funny and all, but stuff like this is a huge breach of trust. I dunno, maybe I'm just over "react" videos in general. The only thing I listen to that's could be considered a "react" is a podcast called "Too Scary, Didn't Watch" where one member describes the horror movie they watched to the other two hosts because they don't want to breach that trust between their friendship, but the two scaredy cats still want to have fun and hear all the details without having to witness the actual things that may trigger/frighten them.

They even did an ep on Pet Sematary with the director of Chernobyl Diaries as a guest host.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/pet-sematary-with-jonathan-sadowski/id1476552025?i=1000463396923

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 29, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Skarsgard' won't be back as Pennywise in the Derry HBO show.

https://www.avclub.com/bill-skarsgard-not-down-to-clown-in-hbo-maxs-it-prequel-1850291439

My interest just dropped considerably.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Finished Doctor Sleep yesterday and I...honestly have no clue how to feel about it?

I really liked the parts about Danny climbing out of rock bottom with his addiction and I thought it was really sweet how he found a way to use the shining to help people during such a scary time at the end of their lives. But then the other part of the book was, like, a YA novel? and I think it was an awkward meshing. But I dunno, I still had fun reading it. Curious to hear others impressions on it because I could see the general feedback going either way.

I also watched the film last night before bed and there were lots of Overlook-related shots that were iffy CGI and it kept making me think of animations you'd see in a Shining-themed slot machine.

That's the only real thought I have on the movie.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I think you're in line with the general consensus. The True Knot were some goofy villains who had one evil scene but were otherwise more comically inept than horrifying. For a sequel to one of the best known (if not the best known) modern horror novels, it wasn't scary at all.

I admire the movie for trying (and mostly succeeding) to be a sequel to both the novel and the Kubrick version and trying to fix a few of the things that the Kubrick got wrong (like Jack not having any good qualities). Rebecca Ferguson brought a creepy vileness to Rose the Hat, but even so, the concept of Rose and the Knot just isn't much to work with.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
After reading it I was pretty sure that DOCTOR SLEEP should've just been a straight story, forget having villains at all. Or stay with Danny as he dips in and out of Abra's story without having it be the focus. He tries to make something out of the True Knot, but they feel like some villains he thought up years ago and just never got to use. They just don't feel like they're part of the same world at all.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Finished The Shining and it’s easy to see why everyone loves it. Might watch the movie somewhere soon as well. Curious to see how those scenes play out in pictures.

Fairy Tale is up next.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

LochNessMonster posted:

Finished The Shining and it’s easy to see why everyone loves it. Might watch the movie somewhere soon as well. Curious to see how those scenes play out in pictures.

Fairy Tale is up next.

You still might be, after the movie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Finished Doctor Sleep yesterday and I...honestly have no clue how to feel about it?

I really liked the parts about Danny climbing out of rock bottom with his addiction and I thought it was really sweet how he found a way to use the shining to help people during such a scary time at the end of their lives. But then the other part of the book was, like, a YA novel? and I think it was an awkward meshing. But I dunno, I still had fun reading it. Curious to hear others impressions on it because I could see the general feedback going either way.

I also watched the film last night before bed and there were lots of Overlook-related shots that were iffy CGI and it kept making me think of animations you'd see in a Shining-themed slot machine.

That's the only real thought I have on the movie.

You're totally on point. It felt like two different books and there was zero need for the True Knot and all that weird vampire poo poo that didn't mesh with Danny's story or anything to do with The Shining. Somehow it came out...OK I guess but it felt like King had an idea about vampires that harvest the blood of children but couldn't figure out where he wanted to go with it so he shoved into the lore of The Overlook.

Basically what other people said

LochNessMonster posted:

Go watch the movie immediately. It's fantastic.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Doctor Sleep is a real good book, but a piss-poor sequel. Like a literary version of Chrono Cross

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

BiggerBoat posted:

Go watch the movie immediately. It's fantastic.

Go watch the miniseries. It's better.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

PurpleXVI posted:

:sickos:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Leave posted:

Doctor Sleep is a real good book, but a piss-poor sequel. Like a literary version of Chrono Cross

This. I did enjoy some of the sequel stuff in the very early chapters, but it would have been better overall if it wasn’t a sequel.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk, I’m willing to call Dr. Sleep a bad sequel in the sense that it’s nothing at all like The Shining, but it would also be a worse work if it were the standalone redemption arc of a random Shiner who had some vaguely alluded to bad times as a toddler because of his powers which at least partially contributed to going down rock bottom before clawing his way back up.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

the villains in Dr. Sleep were corny but I did like the implication that all RV hippy boomers are predatory vampires

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

I watched the first ep and was bored to tears :shrug:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Idk, I’m willing to call Dr. Sleep a bad sequel in the sense that it’s nothing at all like The Shining, but it would also be a worse work if it were the standalone redemption arc of a random Shiner who had some vaguely alluded to bad times as a toddler because of his powers which at least partially contributed to going down rock bottom before clawing his way back up.

Maybe.

But to me it read like two different books and story ideas mashed together. Book was OK but the weird vampire poo poo King threw in there to give Danny something to do and for the reader to fear wasn't needed at all and didn't fit into anything we know about the Overlook or Danny's character.

The hospital parts were pretty cool. IF they had just maybe made the mental hospital and the crazy guy in there sort of a follow up or stand in for the events of the first film and just haunt the sanitarium, we might have had something. I was pleasantly surprised the book was at good as it was but not enough in it made me think "Danny from The Shining only grown up now".

It'd be like if there was a sequel to Pet Semetary only now there were aliens that built the graveyard.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dr. Sleep unironically steals a bit from the Shinning in its climax.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The funny thing to me about Dr. Sleep is it has an almost identical plot as Bone Clocks that was released really close to the same time. Like it's almost creepily similar, I thought Bone Clocks was significantly better though. David Mitchell has even talked about this in interviews.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I enjoyed quite a bit that the movie version of Dr Sleep has that scene where Danny and his buddy just light the vampires the hell up with rifles. That was actually great.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dr Sleep suffers from post-accident King being all about "evil actually sucks and has no real power." I miss pre accident King where evil was actually power.

Capisano
Sep 11, 2001

Brutal
Just finished the audiobook of Under the Dome and I liked it. Sometimes it was a little hard to keep track of the characters because there's so many but overall it was good.

I then went to check out the TV series they made (streaming on Paramount) and just based on the episode descriptions it seems like they're two wildly different things.

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics
Some people hated the book (specifically the ending) but the show is so much worse. Some of the roles are well-cast but I found it painful to watch by the end of season 1. Shocked they made to season 3.

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

They should have called that show Cell, because every episode is worse than the one before it.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Wife's out tonight so I'm gonna watch Pet Sematary. Is there a thread consensus on whether the original or remake is the better movie?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The original is better. The remake isn't terrible but it also does some fun twists on things from the original that you get more out of if you've seen the original, so I'd start with '89.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Wife's out tonight so I'm gonna watch Pet Sematary. Is there a thread consensus on whether the original or remake is the better movie?

I think they're both rather mediocre. I only saw the original and it was...medicore.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I think they're both rather mediocre. I only saw the original and it was...medicore.

Except for OG Jud. Jud rules.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but how do you guys feel about Revival? I finished it a while ago and it felt like it was building up for most of the book without really giving enough of a taste of that world beyond the door where ant people torture us all . Even the stuff that happened to people while they were out cold or missing memories felt like it didn't really connect to that larger idea enough. Still, pretty creepy and the characterization of the main guy and antagonist were strong, imo

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Capisano posted:

Just finished the audiobook of Under the Dome and I liked it. Sometimes it was a little hard to keep track of the characters because there's so many but overall it was good.

I then went to check out the TV series they made (streaming on Paramount) and just based on the episode descriptions it seems like they're two wildly different things.

I dislike the concept of hate-watching pretty deeply; and yet the TV show is one of those very rare kookoo-bananas seeing-is-believing things so batshit that I couldn't rip my eyes away

MNIMWA posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but how do you guys feel about Revival?

It was a shaggy dog story where the ending was actually worth getting to.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

IIt was a shaggy dog story where the ending was actually worth getting to.

I thought it was very slow, especially the parts when the protagonist learns to play guitar and joins a band and so on. Boring stuff. Took me a long while to get into the book, but after that it gets interesting, and the ending is one of those rare things where King absolutely nails it.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The ending of Revival has stuck with me more clearly than any other King ending.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Just watch both.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Pet Sematary 2 is the only one with Clancy Brown so that's the pick

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I liked Revival a lot

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!
The Raft is classic but the weird bitter main guy is always funny on revisit. He's constantly looking to slap the poo poo out of his gf, and he totally gets her killed trying to get in one last gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!
Word Processor of the Gods is fun just because there is no drawback or karmic punishment or dangerous butterfly effect for the main character. He gets everything he wants and seems pleased. The horror is just what a lovely sociopath he is.