Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Glumwheels posted:

My wife’s friend was also told at Starbucks they like to hire at the low end of the salary band for corporate. So they’re looking for the bare minimum qualifications and not people too qualified. Great way to run a company if you only care about being mediocre.

great employees cost too much and leave too frequently. better to beat the poo poo out of folks they know cant flee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Glumwheels posted:

We know recruiters personally, people in the departments my wife is applying for etc but it’s still near impossible to get in at companies like Nike u less you’re bff with the hiring manager. It’s gross nepotism and it’s sucks balls.

Yeah, characterizing networking as helping people is... questionable, at least. I'm sure that works for someone, but it's primarily just a matter of being in the correct in-group and also getting lucky enough to not need a job at the wrong time.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

what's the best way to buy a car in the doomsday economy. is there a SA thread that will tell me what to do.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

what's the best way to buy a car in the doomsday economy. is there a SA thread that will tell me what to do.

everyone that already owns a car: cars are destroying our society and environment!! get a bike and take public transit you piece of poo poo

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ammanas posted:

everyone that already owns a car: cars are destroying our society and environment!! get a bike and take public transit you piece of poo poo

that's me

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

i will destroy america’s fascist society by fat driving

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Ammanas posted:

:hmmyes:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Ammanas posted:

nice car brain

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

i have a bike and take light rail, im basically captain planet + jesus

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

SourKraut posted:

You sure that isn't just, Israel finally getting its full, final revenge for the Holocaust?

IIRC the Israeli govt embezzled like 95% of the Holocaust reparations Germany paid so I doubt it

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

BANK LIFE BANK LIFE BANK LIFE

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A train just derailed into the river here, a few minutes ago. No idea what’s happening.

e: “Photos from the scene show the derailment happened on or near a bridge over water. Part of the bridge has collapsed; police say they don't know if that precipitated the derailment or was caused by it.

The 14-car train is not a passenger train. Five cars have left the track, one of which is in the water. The tracks travel to and from the Invista nylon manufacturing plant.”

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

A train just derailed into the river here, a few minutes ago. No idea what’s happening.

post pics

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

my bony fealty posted:

this is communism spam. you want car spam. try automotive insanity or bfc.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Koirhor posted:

post pics

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

You go to a car dealership and say "one car, please"

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

e: “Photos from the scene show the derailment happened on or near a bridge over water. Part of the bridge has collapsed; police say they don't know if that precipitated the derailment or was caused by it.

The 14-car train is not a passenger train. Five cars have left the track, one of which is in the water. The tracks travel to and from the Invista nylon manufacturing plant.”

sounds like the cost of doing business to me friend!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

remarkably Canadian

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

tech workers are very stupid so

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

email from medicare:

quote:

The Public Health Emergency for COVID-19 ends on May 11, 2023. What does this mean for you?

* Medicare will continue to cover COVID-19 vaccines at no cost.

* You'll be able to get COVID-19 PCR and antigen tests with no out-of-pocket costs when ordered by a doctor.

* Expanded telehealth services will continue through December 31, 2024.

More Info
After May 11, 2023, Medicare will no longer cover or pay for over-the-counter (OTC) COVID-19 tests. If you're enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Plan, you may have more access to tests depending on your benefits. Make sure to check with your plan.

Sincerely,

The Medicare Team

Surely there's no financial consequences to having the government pay for doctor/lab testing but not for over-the-counter testing.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

This is what the non-olds will have to pay for testing out of their deductibles:

quote:

Out-of-pocket fees associated with COVID-19 testing are: COVID Test: $165. Office Visit: $98-$116.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Imagine having to fork over $275 every time you wake up with a sore throat or dry cough.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The intention is to make sure no one tests ever again. If you don't measure it, it doesn't exist.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

Imagine having to fork over $275 every time you wake up with a sore throat or dry cough.

People just won't test, which is the point.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

my bony fealty posted:

I'd also like a guide with the secret goon meta to get a car for cheap.

Willa Rogers posted:

Guess I'll just have to spread it as far and wide as possible.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Don't use dealer financing unless the discounts are genuinely incredible, don't sign up for an insane 6-year term on a car loan, and try to get preapproval from somewhere like a credit union if you want a slightly less awful rate.

That's about it. Rates are high, new car prices are high, used car prices are insane. You're not going to get a good deal relative to even lovely deals from three or four years ago.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Thank you for the responses regarding what evidence is there that a labor shortage is driving inflation.

my bony fealty posted:

skooma512 posted:

Just ask in the Ask/Tell AI meets BFC car thread.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Ammanas posted:

great employees cost too much and leave too frequently. better to beat the poo poo out of folks they know cant flee.

They don’t want to hire people who are better than them on paper either because then they can’t put their groomed replacement in place.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Glumwheels posted:

They don’t want to hire people who are better than them on paper either because then they can’t put their groomed replacement in place.

I just got rejected for a senior-level data science job at a financial firm that I was a couple of interviews in with because I was "too engineering focused." I think the subtext was that the manager that would have been above me was non-technical/had no idea what was going on and I didn't hide my surprise that they didn't use Git well enough.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

6 years is not insane on reliable cars (not Chrysler )

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not sure what America's job creation was this month, but its probably the same as Canada's and they were surprisingly open about how garbage the jobs are. (all part time!)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-jobs-april-1.6833258

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

It's good that many jobs are available because you need more than one.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Soooo now banks aren't collapsing?

Whew close call for the US banking system but I think everything's gonna be OK

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
80% jump overnight, no wonder there's entire subreddits of people wanting to get a piece of that and making up crazy theories for the next pop.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Ammanas posted:

i have a bike and take light rail, im basically captain planet + jesus

I got you beat, I walk and take the subway AND I have no kids and am about to get a vasectomy, I am the Avatar of Gaia

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Love the quarterly treadmill of "Amazing economy! Jobs, jobs jobs!" followed by quietly releasing a big downward revision a couple months later.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

But not before companies ratchet up prices again for another month of new record breaking profits while blaming it on those gosh darn greedy workers wanting unreasonable things like “living wages” and ”employment”

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Jobs are bad and anyone who doesn't want to participate in the grind shouldn't have to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostse.cx
May 5, 2023

by Games Forum

FlapYoJacks posted:

Jobs are bad and anyone who doesn't want to participate in the grind shouldn't have to do so.

I wish to go home from work rn OP