Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Escape From Noise posted:

Man. I sometimes forget how much job hunting sucks the turds off a hog's balls.

The only thing worse than working is looking for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Yeah. I still remember filling out the nth "Why are you excited to join our team at _______?" section of job applications and feeling my already dumb brain melting.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

LOL, I basically spent all of 2018 job hunting Only place that got close to an offer was a bank where their PTO policy was "Well, if you start in October, you'll have about... 7.89 hours of PTO to use next year..." and I bounced.

This place is dumb as hell, but not THAT dumb, lmao.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Escape From Noise posted:

"Why are you excited to join our team at _______?"

"I don't know anything about the job yet" *submit*

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

~Coxy posted:

If you're levelling something to thous/mils, then it makes absolutely no different as to whether you use metric or US customary. :colbert:
I don't think you understand. We are missing the valuable exchange "oh you want me to level to 100 micrometers? Do you mean zero point zero zero zero one meters?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zedprime posted:

I don't think you understand. We are missing the valuable exchange "oh you want me to level to 100 micrometers? Do you mean zero point zero zero zero one meters?

I mean, you joke, but I'm tangentially involved in something that \got delayed for two weeks because a spec was listed as .1 deci<unit>, and the customary way that it is normally reported is just <unit>, so no one was sure if it was actually .1 deci-thing or if it should have been .1 thing (i.e. 1 deci-thing). Had to go back and forth with a supplier before establishing that, yes, it was .1 deci-thing.

Which started a whole nerdy argument between our nerds and their nerds (that I had no business being in but was CC'd on) about whether it should actually be .01 thing or 1 mili-thing or if .1 deci-thing is needed because the spec was originally written in deci-things, but the way science and industry usually reports it is just the raw unit (no deci, mili, etc) but there's another standard that says to use the smallest unit name to avoid decimal confusion in specs and blah blah blah ugh.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

TheParadigm posted:

saw this the other day. Slightly relevant

This is 100% accurate.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Deci-units are dumb. Centimetres and hectares included.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

:actually:, they are cool, and good, and strong, and my friend.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, you joke, but I'm tangentially involved in something that \got delayed for two weeks because a spec was listed as .1 deci<unit>, and the customary way that it is normally reported is just <unit>, so no one was sure if it was actually .1 deci-thing or if it should have been .1 thing (i.e. 1 deci-thing). Had to go back and forth with a supplier before establishing that, yes, it was .1 deci-thing.

Which started a whole nerdy argument between our nerds and their nerds (that I had no business being in but was CC'd on) about whether it should actually be .01 thing or 1 mili-thing or if .1 deci-thing is needed because the spec was originally written in deci-things, but the way science and industry usually reports it is just the raw unit (no deci, mili, etc) but there's another standard that says to use the smallest unit name to avoid decimal confusion in specs and blah blah blah ugh.
Metric system is a well intentioned mistake. Now that we have no shortage of paper let alone infinite digital metadata if we're going to upend customary units it should be to go to one base unit reported in scientific or engineering notation. The main complaints in the past being it's hard to talk about it hard to fit into drawings and figures. Engineering notation lends itself well to metricated code shifts during verbal discussions (scientific notation too after some practice) if you still want to talk about how many millimeters your 100*10-3m dick is.

But any way the legal trade unit thing is similarly deprecated by just putting the trade unit in the paper work with a requested customary unit alongside it.

All this talk of official hogsheads this and mandatory Pascals that is missing the facts of power structures are already defining the language of trade. You're either a big fish and require things in XYZ units and notation or you're the small fish and listening. It's not often the governments being the big fish here. NIST and GCWM are small fish organizations trailing the local trades' and sciences' power.

Anyway I'd kill for a remotely organized countable things holding things standard. Pieces, eaches, cases, rolls, handling units. Just completely unhinged and reinvented by every individual industrial designer per product.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I did astrophysics. I know the simple joys of translating between solar masses per cubic parsec to Da/cm3. But that doesn't make any of it good.

Metric units, prefixes going up by 103 only. Please.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Chewbecca posted:

Interviewed for a job yesterday, got rejection phonecall today (less than 24 hours later) and was told an internal candidate got it.

They clearly already had that person lined up so why waste mine and the other applicant's time?

Oh hey are you multiple applicants to my dept about two weeks from today? Manager already has buddy picked out but gotta sit through these interviews with candidates who don’t know that.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

lost my job just like I thought I would. Technically it's because of budget cuts and financial reasons but in reality it's almost certainly because my wife's pregnant and I was going to take a bunch of time off later in the year. They also let go a pregnant woman and another woman with a chronic illness that she was finally going to get checked out thanks to having insurance.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cowman posted:

lost my job just like I thought I would. Technically it's because of budget cuts and financial reasons but in reality it's almost certainly because my wife's pregnant and I was going to take a bunch of time off later in the year. They also let go a pregnant woman and another woman with a chronic illness that she was finally going to get checked out thanks to having insurance.

That sucks, sorry mate.

Just the three of you? Do you have good records?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Sounds like a class action lawsuit to me. Y'all should get together and talk to a lawyer.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh hey are you multiple applicants to my dept about two weeks from today? Manager already has buddy picked out but gotta sit through these interviews with candidates who don’t know that.

:smith::hf::smith:

Cowman posted:

Super Waffle posted:

Sounds like a class action lawsuit to me. Y'all should get together and talk to a lawyer.

I agree it's at least worth a discussion with an employment lawyer!!

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I was part of about 100 or so layoffs that day. I'm in TN where there's basically no labor protections so I can't prove that it was because of those reasons. I'm just assuming because I was one of the founding members of the team and did my job well. I got a poo poo severance package too, but at least I got one. The "official" reason is budget cuts and financial problems (which is true, the company is bombing financially and getting bought out) but their choice of who to layoff is super suspicious.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Experience desired: has done this exact job, in this exact office, for 10 years

McGavin posted:

Office was built 7 years ago and the job was created 3 years ago.

Manager: 7+3=10, boom problem solved!

Magnetic North posted:

Dumb poo poo Your Work Does: The only thing worse than working is looking for work.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 5, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Quote is not Edit

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Experience desired: has done this exact job, in this exact office, for 10 years

Missed this but lol

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

Cowman posted:

I was part of about 100 or so layoffs that day. I'm in TN where there's basically no labor protections so I can't prove that it was because of those reasons. I'm just assuming because I was one of the founding members of the team and did my job well. I got a poo poo severance package too, but at least I got one. The "official" reason is budget cuts and financial problems (which is true, the company is bombing financially and getting bought out) but their choice of who to layoff is super suspicious.

I fully believe my husband was put on the list of layoffs because I’d had a miscarriage a month prior. They really poo poo on him when they fired him and cited performance issues that he’d never heard about until that day — my guess is to cover up that he was just one of many being laid off and that they didn’t like the idea of an employee with obligations outside of work (i.e., a child). I didn’t want him to tell his boss I was pregnant because the work environment was so toxic, but I needed him to stay home with me when it happened, and he didn’t think they’d give him the day off if he didn’t say why.

I wish we could have had any legal recourse, but there was nothing to do about it. Sorry you’re having to deal with that.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Cowman posted:

Hi fellow TN goon, I think we’re at different places but yeah TN sucks for unemployment. I was let go for a safety violation, technically true (but god forbid the rules apply to people evenly), right before they shitcanned 150+ people over the subsequent 3 months. So no severance, no tough titty talk from boss or bosses bosses, just a piece of poo poo HR manager who was browsing on his phone in the middle of firing me. gently caress that place.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Tnuctip posted:

Hi fellow TN goon, I think we’re at different places but yeah TN sucks for unemployment. I was let go for a safety violation, technically true (but god forbid the rules apply to people evenly), right before they shitcanned 150+ people over the subsequent 3 months. So no severance, no tough titty talk from boss or bosses bosses, just a piece of poo poo HR manager who was browsing on his phone in the middle of firing me. gently caress that place.

My boss was legitimately upset and reportedly was in tears when he told the rest of the team. He was the main reason I stuck around because he was a drat good dude. Some higher up made the decision.

The team I was on always was hated by the rest of the company. It was created by an old CIO who later got the boot. I worked for a trucking company and my job was to gather shipping and receiving hours and some other stuff from customers. This was to make scheduling easier or some poo poo, I never fully understood/cared as to why, but basically we made the operations team (who would book loads and stuff) look bad by going back and cleaning up their mistakes. I was a digital janitor basically and the operations team was utterly incompetent and frequently made mistakes and filled in wrong info and things like that. The job sucked and I stuck around longer than I should have due to complacency and loyalty to my team.

Honestly, this is a good thing in some ways because it's giving me a kick in the rear end to get my certifications and a different job that I'll hopefully enjoy.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

goatface posted:

You missed decagrams.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Outrail posted:

*America and kinda canada

Hey. We use metric. The only times imperial measurements get brought in is when we're having to deal with the US.
(To be fair, height and weight are usually in imperial, but that's a side effect of the US being so pervasive.)

TaurusTorus posted:

Intellectually I understand this, but christ, there’s training videos from the nineties talking about the imminent switch to full metric.

My mom has a cookbook from the 70s or 80s, where the ladies who wrote it were going "the switch to metric is coming so we took the time to work out all the conversions you'll need! Here's a list, and we've listed both measurements in every recipe".

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lol the nightmare company I left my job for before seeing the writing on the wall and getting the gently caress out 4 months later is going out of business

couldn’t have happened to a nicer management team but I hope the frontline guys can find something, I can’t get all the good ones hired here as much as I’d want to

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Despite record revenue, Shopify laid off a fifth of its workforce, including my ex-gf. My LinkedIn feed is full of people being like "so sorry you lost your job! Unfortunately, nothing can be done about that" and somehow that's the most disgusting thing about the whole debacle. Just a complete lack of reflection or critique.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Work loving sucks. I propose we stop it.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I say let the robots to the work, so we can drink cocktails every day 🍹

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
My job has 3 separate time keeping systems that I need to interact with every day. First one is for clocking in and out, just a simple click on the big CLOCK IN and CLOCK OUT button.. Then I have to report in a chat room that I'm clocking in and write what I'm going to be doing, then at the end of the day I have to report that I'm clocking out and what I actually did. And I also need to write which issues I worked on hour-by-hour every day on a separate program.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That is enough bullshit to make me quit.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Seriously. It wasn't that bad even in consulting

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sounds like work where you’re time tracking literally everything you do for billable hours. Sucks poo poo.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Archer666 posted:

My job has 3 separate time keeping systems that I need to interact with every day. First one is for clocking in and out, just a simple click on the big CLOCK IN and CLOCK OUT button.. Then I have to report in a chat room that I'm clocking in and write what I'm going to be doing, then at the end of the day I have to report that I'm clocking out and what I actually did. And I also need to write which issues I worked on hour-by-hour every day on a separate program.

That's a no from me, dog

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Hard no thanks, and I track hours by the 15 minute increment.

What happens if any of those numbers don't agree?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Archer666 posted:

Have you calculated how much of your day you are paid to track your hours?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I used to work at a place where I had to fill out timesheets and I filled them out in 15-minute intervals until my coworker gave me her timesheet to give to our boss and it had 9-6 in every row. I felt like such a dipshit after being so painstakingly honest for all that time.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

Sounds like work where you’re time tracking literally everything you do for billable hours. Sucks poo poo.

Honestly I'm used to it from the other jobs I've been doing, but those jobs just had 1 system for hour tracking. Not 3 separate systems of which 2 are just literal chat rooms lol

Barudak posted:

Have you calculated how much of your day you are paid to track your hours?

I did consider putting down 30-60 minute blocks with just "Hour tracking" as description lol

Outrail posted:

Hard no thanks, and I track hours by the 15 minute increment.

What happens if any of those numbers don't agree?

The HR person usually sends me a discord message with what's not agreeing and where I need to edit what to make it match. So thankfully they're not too hardassed about it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

YeahTubaMike posted:

I used to work at a place where I had to fill out timesheets and I filled them out in 15-minute intervals until my coworker gave me her timesheet to give to our boss and it had 9-6 in every row. I felt like such a dipshit after being so painstakingly honest for all that time.

Yeah at the end of the week I just look at my calender and sent emails and guestimate hours until it says 8.

It helps that I approve my timesheet with no oversight :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Consulting in the beer industry here might be pretty lucrative with my experience (apparently), maybe over 3 times my current pay as a brewer. The downsides will probably be a lot of traveling for work and lovely hours. But if it's doable I can use it to stack Noguchi's for a few years and use the experience as a stepping stone to a boring office job or something.