Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

euphronius posted:

Here lies Irulan.
She never scored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Something's wrong with this gif? It stops zooming out after a second??
?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

you do not have permission to see fremen handmaidens

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I bet Harkonnen handmaidens are visually indistinct from the congealed fat that's left on a pan after cooking sausages.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I haven't played it in quite a while, but whenever I replay it, I'm gonna be playing the OpenRA mod.

This seems dope but I'm a dumb dumb and can't get it to work :shrug:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

fun fact

https://twitter.com/DuneInfo/status/1439559987907420162?s=20

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Now I feel bad for calling them pale bald and weird

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

they look weird because their eyes are hosed up and they wear pool tarps for clothing, not because they bald

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Now I feel bad for calling them pale bald and weird

KEEP MY SERVANTS NAMES OUT OF YOUR MOUTH!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Makes me think of the shining elevator for some reason

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

they look weird because their eyes are hosed up and they wear pool tarps for clothing, not because they bald

you're right, it's not like I'm the director

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
In anticipation to the movie, and through the power of bad sleep schedule and procrastinating the things I should be doing, I managed to read the first book in a day. It was great! Ending was a little too fast and loose, but I still liked it.Hope they keep the hip needle in the movie, even though it'll probably look ultra dumb.

Of the characters, I particularly liked Kynes (and prefer his death on the books a thousand times) and Fenrig and Harrah, for some reason.

I was spoiled on Paul's ultimate fate (dont mind it though), and can't wait to see how his victory turns to ashes in the next books.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

euphronius posted:

Here lies Irulan.
She never scored.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kull wahad!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Watched Dune for the third time last night

I didn't want it to end.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

kiimo posted:

Watched Dune for the third time last night

I didn't want it to end.

Nice. I watched it last night too and it still holds up well for me.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Scallop Eyes posted:

In anticipation to the movie, and through the power of bad sleep schedule and procrastinating the things I should be doing, I managed to read the first book in a day.
I was spoiled on Paul's ultimate fate (dont mind it though)

So...you read the first book?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

If that's their casting method they should have gotten Bobby Lashley to play Feyd.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mister Speaker posted:

Awesome! Very well said, thanks for reposting. :)

You joke of course but there is a passage in a later book where Paul (or possibly Leto II) looks back through history and scoffs at the uh, 'numbers', of some infamous dictators and conquerors, including Hitler (and I think maybe Genghis Khan?).

that was one of the worst parts of messiah

like you should trust your readers to be smart enough to read between the lines a little bit about how Paul is bad without literally saying "he's worse than Hitler"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

No Mods No Masters posted:

Thufir can come back to give a little exposition as a treat but yeah he's barely in the material left to adapt. I feel like even his role in the ending is like half a page tops. My question is what gurney is supposed to do when you've cut the subplot where he thinks jessica is a traitor. Just be there as a military guy I guess

maybe he can milk a cat

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Fenring's casting still hasn't been announced, has it? Tim Blake Nelson would be a pretty fantastic choice.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I can see them remembering Hitler. History tends to remember attempts at genocide.

edit and you bet your rear end the Space Jews remember

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Typo posted:

like you should trust your readers to be smart enough to read between the lines a little bit about how Paul is bad without literally saying "he's worse than Hitler"

Herbert’s readers were 1960s sci-fi fans so let’s be real, you absolutely should not trust them to do this

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought the point of that quote was that Stilgar hears those numbers and, without much emotional response beyond "ol' Muad'dib's being weird again", says "Those sound like rookie numbers, m'lord"

Like he's briefly interested because he thinks this guy killed six million people personally, which would have been kind of impressive. He even proposes a means by which it was the case!

Nessus fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 5, 2023

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Typo posted:

If you could trust your readers for that, then Dune Messiah would never have been written.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I will bend like a reed in the wind

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
"While we, Chani, we who carry the name of concubine - history will call us Eva Brauns.”

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

disposablewords posted:

If you could trust your readers for that, then Dune Messiah would never have been written.

Messiah was written contemporaneously and was going to be included as part of the original book. It was turned into a sequel to make Dune more marketable. So it wasn’t written as a clarification or corrective to the public’s response to Dune.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
What on earth gives you that idea?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Frank says in the afterword to children of dune that he wrote parts of both messiah and children before the first book was completed. Parts is doing a lot of heavy lifting there, unless there's been some scholarly work on it you can probably interpret that any way you find convenient

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 5, 2023

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sounds like Brian Herbert mischief to me!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

kiimo posted:

I can see them remembering Hitler. History tends to remember attempts at genocide.

edit and you bet your rear end the Space Jews remember
If 20,000 years after 1945, in an universe where humanity has settled countless planet, there hasn't being anyone worse than Hitler (at least before Paul), then Dune is a rather optimistic outlook on human progress

like think about it reliastically if humanity settled like 1000000 planets or whatever rest assured there's probably gonna be at least a couple of ppl who are worse than Hitler within a couple of generations on some of those planets

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I realize that but there has been a lot of people do worse things since but we still remember Ramses II.

Hard to extrapolate into the future but I doubt they entirely forget the early baddies in human history. Not that this argument can really go anywhere, it just didn't bother me when I read it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dune and Messiah were written mostly contemporaneously iirc, Children was after a long break which is why it pivots, but I wouldn't be surprised if Herb had ideas about it earlier.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

kiimo posted:

I realize that but there has been a lot of people do worse things since but we still remember Ramses II.

Hard to extrapolate into the future but I doubt they entirely forget the early baddies in human history. Not that this argument can really go anywhere, it just didn't bother me when I read it
I imagine Hitler might be in Imperial records, but Paul knows about him through Other Memory. Why would Stilgar give a poo poo about Hitler? He'd be like ancient Egyptian pharaohs.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Nessus posted:

I imagine Hitler might be in Imperial records, but Paul knows about him through Other Memory. Why would Stilgar give a poo poo about Hitler? He'd be like ancient Egyptian pharaohs.

I don't think he does

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of Dune, has anyone ever read the graphic novel?

kiimo posted:

Sounds like Brian Herbert mischief to me!
It's not.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, there's been at 17 distinct years that's had Children of Dune published. I wonder how many editions there are, and what the differences are.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Prolonged Panorama posted:

We don't know that they have cut him suspecting Jessica... not having forseen that is the catalyst for Paul taking the Water of Life, so maybe it stays in.

If not, he still gets to say "you young pup!" and will likely duel Rabban.

Isn't that a Gurney line? Or did Lynch just give it to Patrick Stewart in his adaptation? Either way I doubt we've seen the last of Thufir, and you raise a good point about Thufir thinking Jessica is the traitor, maybe that gets thrown in later to spice things up.

It's already been said ITT or the other thread but we are 100% getting a fight between Gurney and Rabban, and I'm willing to bet a beer that Gurney cuts his loving head off. It'd be a nice cap to his personal backstory (maybe we'll even get him talking about "how I got this scar"!) especially considering basically the first time we see Gurney he's screaming in Paul's face about how much Harkonnens suck.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Lisa Gerrard stuff

Cool stuff, thanks! I don't think I've ever actually listened to Dead Can Dance; IDK why but I had the impression they were more of a goth band, did not expect this kind of haunting vocal stuff. Her voice in the DUNE soundtrack is incredible, but the thing that really makes my hair stand on end every time is Zimmer's 'impossible drum fill.'