Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

drat, my wife just quit her job because the one hour (train) commute was too much. I can't even imagine more than an hour and without being able to post/work on the way on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

of american workers over 16 and not working from home:

9.8% have a 1 way commute time of 60 minutes or more
3% have a 1 way commute time of 90 minutes or more

but its the train commuters who are the ones actually doing those super long commutes:

still, the average one way car commute is 23 minutes, that's a lot of time when you add it up!

also the breakdown by metro is interesting. Atlanta showing up with the larger than average % with 60 minute each way commutes, especially for the metro size.

more commute facts:

quote:

In 2019, the average one-way commute in the United States increased to a new high of 27.6 minutes.
In 2006, the average travel time for the nation was 25.0 minutes. The increase of about 2.6 minutes between 2006 and 2019 represents an increase of about 10% over 14 years.
In 2006, 14.8% of commuters reported travel times of less than 10 minutes; this group declined to 11.9% by 2019. Conversely, the percentage of workers reporting commutes of 60 minutes or lon­ger increased from 7.9% in 2006 to 9.8% in 2019.
The majority of workers, approximately 57%, left for work between 6:00 a.m. and 8:29 a.m. Among this group, those leaving between 6:00 a.m. and 6:29 a.m. reported the longest average travel time to work at 32.8 minutes.

The longest average travel times were associated with various forms of public transportation. For example, workers who traveled to work by bus had an average commute of 46.6 minutes.

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2021/acs/acs-47.pdf

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's straight up a copy of any late eighties / early nineties suburban strip mall development, there's even a Red Lobster across from the ballpark

And it has basically zero integration into the city. It's an island surrounded on two sides by interstate. The third side is cut off by apartments that aren't really integrated into the streets. So there's only one real connection to the outside unless you count this bridge over 285. If they'd connected MARTA to it I wouldn't complain so much, but they went with a shuttle system instead. I guess you could walk through this.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

lobster shirt posted:

theres a lot to hate about houston in general but i do like that all of our sports stadiums are centrally located and accessible by public transit. you can ride the light rail or the bus to go see any of our teams, it's very easy. hell the light rail can drop you off directly at the soccer and football parks.

Same in Minneapolis/St. Paul. The light rail doesn't go very many places, but at least you can take it to sporting events/the airport. I used to go to Twins games and have a couple of beers at a bar after the game so the light rail wouldn't be as busy, was nice.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

When I first moved here I worked with a guy who had a 115 mile round trip commute every day. Some people are just sickos

I work with a gal who has a commute like that to a job that pays a couple bucks more than state minimum wage

poo poo is bad

ETA: there is no train, there is no commutable bus, God I wish there were a train tho

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

A wise jedi once said, drive or drive not, there is no train. hahahahahappy belated May 4th.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i have a 45 minute commute because all the trains in the bronx run in slow motion and stop every three blocks and take random long delays when theres no trains in either direction at all.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I had to drive to a neighboring city for a workshop this week instead of my usual "sit in my basement" strategy and I gotta say, driving in Renton sucks major dookie

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I had to drive to a neighboring city for a workshop this week instead of my usual "sit in my basement" strategy and I gotta say, driving in Renton sucks major dookie
Anything in Renton sucks major dookie.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BonHair posted:

This is why you have first class seating in trains, the exact same great experience, only more expensive so you don't have to deal with people who care about money.

the price difference is a hell of a lot less than it is for flying at least

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
imagine not getting all kitted up to try to KOM your work commute each and every day

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

cat botherer posted:

Anything in Renton sucks major dookie.

we've got a Reston around here, and a Denton too a bit further away, never heard of no dang Renton. but i hate the sound of it

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

imagine not getting all kitted up to try to KOM your work commute each and every day

God, I wish that was me

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Car parked outside my house speaks to my anti authoritarian side:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

BonHair posted:

Car parked outside my house speaks to my anti authoritarian side:

with the huge number of wheel-wall-crawl car flips that happen in my area, this is necessary.

it's wild how a car will just give up and flop on its back if it gets too close to another car. even at like 10mph.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

The car lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, spinning its wheels trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I, an American, am rendered completely helpless without a working car?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cross-quoting a thread appropriate tweet.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

saw one of these bad boys today

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

every day i ride the Tour de gently caress You

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

after I finally cracked 04:00 all my desire to get there as quickly as possible melted away, plus it was kind of reckless to sprint like that with pedestrians to watch out for. plus aren't KOMs all meaningless with ebikes everywhere? I don't pay for strava and am not on it much

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

My first experiences of the deep south were working in suburban Birmingham when I was 18-19 and I was gobsmacked, coming from the northeast, that people lived in these isolated gated communities with no sidewalks or even streetlights.

my god that sounds like a loving paradise compared to paying hundreds of dollars a month for streetlights aimed directly into your bedroom windows

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
My wife went out for a run today, and when she hit the light to cross a cross walk, one car stopped and got violently rear ended (either that person wasn't paying attention or probably on their phone). While they waited approx 5 mins for firefighters etc to arrive, the guy who got hit couldn't get out of his car because he was sore and likely in shock, but multiple passing cars stopped to yell at them for slowing traffic and one guy slowing way down to really aggressively yell at them to "get your loving cars off to the side!".

Fun day! Cars ftw

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

actionjackson posted:

Laughing at the low angles they choose to photograph their cars from. This image of the GMC Yukon is from the perspective of a 6-year-old who is about to get hit.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Harik posted:

my god that sounds like a loving paradise compared to paying hundreds of dollars a month for streetlights aimed directly into your bedroom windows

star gazers and suburbanites love to poo poo on street lights but they actually proven by studies increase safety and encourage people to walk or cycle at night.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Celexi posted:

star gazers and suburbanites love to poo poo on street lights but they actually proven by studies increase safety and encourage people to walk or cycle at night.

Around here there are subdivisions full of street lights that stay dark at night because the homeowners associations can't agree on how to pay the light bill for them.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Was hanging out at the riverfront in my town when I saw a car just blast through the dog-leg in the front of the museum, jump the curb, go down the river slope and nosedive into the river. I couldn't make it to the other side of the bridge but the people on that bank of the river was waving and shouting at the car. I don't think anyone managed to get out of the car. Took about 5-8 minutes for the first police car to arrive, 12 minutes for fire department, 30 minutes for dive team.

https://twitter.com/GBMFD/status/1655004654336458752

There's been about a dozen police cars SUVs, three fire trucks, the dive team truck, three boats, and God knows how much staff here, plus closing one of the two downtown bridges. Probably not looking good for that driver's prospects.

It was loving crazy watching it happen, I was looking at the other side of the river and this car just barrels out of nowhere into the water.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

how does it drive

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
terrible!

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

https://twitter.com/rosenbergjonah/status/1654914844946997251?s=46&t=49RZw0dBWxacDdvE8sT2FQ

https://twitter.com/fredlohner/status/1654974645357928449?s=46&t=49RZw0dBWxacDdvE8sT2FQ

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

I was looking at the other side of the river and this car just barrels out of nowhere into the water.
this text n selfie ain't gunna write itself y'know.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
hey look, someone's using a truk for moving things

https://twitter.com/ass_beaters/status/1654885000523776004

this is rare enough to be notable.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

Was hanging out at the riverfront in my town when I saw a car just blast through the dog-leg in the front of the museum, jump the curb, go down the river slope and nosedive into the river.

https://fox11online.com/news/local/green-bay/green-bay-dive-team-responding-to-report-of-a-vehicle-in-fox-river

quote:

UPDATE: Police say the vehicle was recovered at 11:00 p.m. Saturday.

One person was also found dead.

The person's name isn't being released at this time.

The Ray Nitschke Memorial Bridge reopened at 11:30 p.m.

No other details will be released at this time.

RIP

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

this car just barrels out of nowhere into the water.

was it a white nissan altima by any chance, because that is a total altima manuever

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

was it a white nissan altima by any chance, because that is a total altima manuever

No, it was a black SUV/hatchback (couldn't really tell) of some type. The windows were open and the trunk was popped. After the nosedive all the airbags were deployed. I half suspect it was a suicide attempt, and the other half of me suspects they were zonked out on some type of opioid (or flat out drunk on regular old alcohol). Either way they're dead after diving into a 6 foot deep riverbank and their car was their coffin.

Pedestrians don't fly off bridges like that, bicycles and motorbikes do sometimes but you can just let go and swim to shore. Just honestly really hosed up all around.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Celexi posted:

suburbanites are incredibly paranoid about people walking around after dark because of the lack of lights and I have driven into a suburb at night to attend a party once and it was my first time since I grew up in the city and holy poo poo it's so loving creepy. It skeeved me out so much, I immediately understood why everyone who lives in suburbs is so afraid all the time.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Celexi posted:

every single streetlight should have a loving shroud/shield on it so it's actually pointing light on what it means to illuminate and not anywhere else

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IMHO streetlights should illuminate the surroundings at night. Just get better curtains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

sleeping masks and ear plugs ftw. now its just me with my tinnitus to serenade me to sleep~