Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't eaten enough trees to know what they taste like.

I tried one and it tasted like ash

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't eaten enough trees to know what they taste like.
Not a fan of cinnamon?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Broccoli is tiny trees

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I tried one and it tasted like ash

The Ash I tried tasted really Boring

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You should try it yakisugi style

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/mcmansionhell/status/1654118730857865216

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Dual grammatical number rules, gently caress the haters!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

is the dual 1st person pronoun really "bear" in slovene? that does rule

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What exactly am I looking at here? Twitter is now so broken that I cannot click through and sewrch the replies for an explainer.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ariong posted:

What exactly am I looking at here? Twitter is now so broken that I cannot click through and sewrch the replies for an explainer.

https://twitter.com/mcmansionhell/status/1654118737442922497

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The difference between "it's so complicated we had to put it in a chart" and "it's so complicated we can't put it in a chart."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Carthag Tuek posted:

is the dual 1st person pronoun really "bear" in slovene? that does rule

It is almost medved, yes.

Ariong posted:

It's pronouns in Slovenian in different grammatical numbers, genders, and cases.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

*calling friend* you both coming?

bear is coming

awesome

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

If you look at it though the size does scale really well with the prices, at least with the cheaper three. You seem to get what you pay for. Based on this graph I think Spain gives you the best value, though. It's only a seventy cent increase from Greece but it's the same size difference from Turkey to Greece.

credburn has a new favorite as of 18:45 on May 4, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Well duh, the turkey pint is the cheapest bc it's the smallest

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Ireland over there using champagne flutes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yall dont have boots?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1654479324639100930

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

"Forecasters have systematically over-/underestimated"

yes, that is literally their job. that is what they are paid to do.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's not clear to me that a good forecast would be unbiased here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sentient Data posted:

That's weird how'd you know my project budget/hours tracking database extension?

Ten years of industry experience :smug:

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
the constant talk of recession is not a forecast. it is a threat. it's corporations being their usual subtle selves:

- threatening employees that they need to stop asking for raises so they can afford food, or else they'll get fired (if I raise wages then when was the point of raising prices???)
- threatening the fed to stop raising interest rates (it's not fair to charge this much, you have to stop or i'll have no choice but to destroy the economy!!)

also non farm payrolls get revised fairly dramatically every month:

BLS posted:

The change in total nonfarm payroll employment for February was revised down by
78,000, from +326,000 to +248,000, and the change for March was revised down by
71,000, from +236,000 to +165,000. With these revisions, employment in February
and March combined is 149,000 lower than previously reported. (Monthly revisions
result from additional reports received from businesses and government agencies
since the last published estimates and from the recalculation of seasonal factors.)

so like 2 months ago, the story was that expectations were like +225k and actual was +326k, a "huge miss". but now the revised actual figure is just +248k, which is actually very close to those expectations. but we don't talk about 2 months ago anymore, we only talk about how this month the expectations were too low again! the financial press is a scam.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Really really low unemployment is bad for the economy because it forces employers to pay competitively and not treat their workers like poo poo.

If you tell me I need to work 20 hours unpaid overtime, and I can get a comparable job at the factory next door? gently caress You, eat poo poo, give me a raise and cancel mandatory OT or I quit.

If I don't have any other employment prospects, a family to feed, and marginal savings, I've gotta hold on, bad pay, no raises, too many hours? At least I have Healthcare and can feed my family.

In the second scenario, corps get a way better value for money from their employees and can give bigger bonuses to their CEOs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Really low unemployment is bad for the economy because there are not enough people to do the work. You have to hire someone who's already employed elsewhere, wait weeks or months for it, and now they have an unfilled position, and so on.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

mobby_6kl posted:

Really low unemployment is bad for the economy because there are not enough people to do the work. You have to hire someone who's already employed elsewhere, wait weeks or months for it, and now they have an unfilled position, and so on.

It's good for workers and bad for companies, which means it's good

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

mobby_6kl posted:

I think that’s a bit of an attribution error. In this case, the low unemployment rate isn’t causing damage to the economy. The dearth of workers is causing both the low unemployment rate and the damage to the economy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Elviscat posted:

Really really low unemployment is bad for the economy because it forces employers to pay competitively and not treat their workers like poo poo.

If you tell me I need to work 20 hours unpaid overtime, and I can get a comparable job at the factory next door? gently caress You, eat poo poo, give me a raise and cancel mandatory OT or I quit.

If I don't have any other employment prospects, a family to feed, and marginal savings, I've gotta hold on, bad pay, no raises, too many hours? At least I have Healthcare and can feed my family.

In the second scenario, corps get a way better value for money from their employees and can give bigger bonuses to their CEOs.
Without labor being half as organized as the mega corp, scenario one is just as likely the factory next door is rewarding new hires with a bonus to make them jump and then also 20 hours unpaid overtime immediately following because oops they spent all the money attracting talent.

Abnormally low unemployment means things have changed and the corps and/or labor haven't really met the change and if neither of them clunk the thing on the head on their own initiative or at government regulations prompting to make some corrections you're at risk of making too many dragon dildos when the dragon dildo makers should maybe be working on crucial infrastructure repair because there happened to be a dragon dildo boom coincidentally before the invention of a market disrupting technology that among 100s of other changes removed the need for dragon dildos.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I have heard that ultra low unemployment can also be a bad sign, because it means voluntary quits are also low, a sign that employees think they may not be able to get another job (or another job that pays as well).

I don't think that's the whole story, but its a sensible narrative: a good job market for employees should entail a certain number of them leaving their jobs to pursue new opportunities. That should put a floor on the unemployment rate.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

90% of people who quit already have something lined up though, so they'd never even hit the unemployment statistics.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If we just implant career chips at birth we can solve the unemployment crisis!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Sentient Data posted:

If we just implant career chips at birth we can solve the unemployment crisis!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

oh no

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

It's weird that the guy in the poster has five fingers...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

credburn posted:

industrial accident

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tunicate posted:

industrial accident
he was probably given a manual labor position because of the number of fingers he was born with

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

he was probably given a manual labor position because of the number of fingers he was born with

:argh:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

industrial accident

Actually if the factory accidentally gives you organs instead of taking them it's called an outcident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

credburn posted:

They haven't found a fix to AI art generators by 31st century.