Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Vox Nihili posted:

Hawaii is cool because they only have their two regional banks. If they collapsed without a successor I think people on Hawaii just wouldn't have banks for awhile.

Blockchain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

They are now. Before the rate hikes there were trillions of dollars worth of unprofitable tech companies ranging from small to tens of thousands of employees. Those guys got loving demolished and everyone just sort of shrugged. Although some of the bigger ones (e.g. Uber) have mysteriously bounced back.

As of now, Apple, Microsoft, Google Amazon, and Nvidia account for like half of the total tech sector market cap, and you need to go down to the 100th company on the list before you get to anyone with a market cap of less than 25B and by then you're at ~80% of the total tech sector market cap.

It's not like the situation was any different in 2020-2021. In fact it was even more top-heavy then

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Maed posted:

I got you beat, I walk and take the subway AND I have no kids and am about to get a vasectomy, I am the Avatar of Gaia

i bike and light rail and walk to the grocery store and almost never leave my apt and masturbate into fish takes to feed the fish. owned idiot

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Morbus posted:

As of now, Apple, Microsoft, Google Amazon, and Nvidia account for like half of the total tech sector market cap, and you need to go down to the 100th company on the list before you get to anyone with a market cap of less than 25B and by then you're at ~80% of the total tech sector market cap.

It's not like the situation was any different in 2020-2021. In fact it was even more top-heavy then

It was actually quite a bit different in 20-21, outside of the top handful of megacorps. Here is a quick reminder of what happened last year: https://archive.is/DKxqT

Specifically, the unprofitable tech companies took huge hits. The big ones have bounced back a bit this year but a ton of these companies are already bankrupt or effectively zombies. A bunch of these companies were valued at billions of dollars and sold as the "next [insert X comparison] unicorn."

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Eh whatever

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

genericnick posted:

Eh whatever

thread title

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

Got pre-approval for a student Visa! :woop: Now to make an appointment with the consulate to get the drat thing. Mamma mia!

If you have problems getting a student Visa, maybe try for a student Master Card. I hear they give those away to anyone with a pulse.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Orvin posted:

If you have problems getting a student Visa, maybe try for a student Master Card. I hear they give those away to anyone with a pulse.

:rimshot:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

More than four in 10 Gen Z workers don’t know the meaning behind common workplace phrases such as “bite the bullet” and “back to the salt mines.”

The study — from the visualization platform Rethinkly — discovered that those under the age of 26 are more comfortable with language such as “quiet quitting” and “take this offline.”

Other phrases that Gen Z is struggling with include “cut the mustard,” “flogging a dead horse,” “throw in the towel” and “burning the midnight oil.”

“Let sleeping dogs lie” and “What’s the beef” also made the list of phrases that Gen Z didn’t understand.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

Hawaii is cool because they only have their two regional banks. If they collapsed without a successor I think people on Hawaii just wouldn't have banks for awhile.

you’re all gonna be so jealous when hawaii gets communism first just because all our banks collapsed.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
zoomers dont know idioms from 50 years ago what a shocker

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
itt boomer shocked young people don’t like their terrible lingo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe managers should use Simpsons quotes like “stop he’s already dead “

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Ammanas posted:

i bike and light rail and walk to the grocery store and almost never leave my apt and masturbate into fish takes to feed the fish. owned idiot

I guess I better not let you near my fish tank, then....

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

nexous posted:

i like the phrases

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
all zoomers know is twerk, charge they phone, quiet quitting, taking it offline, and hot chip

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

all zoomers know is twerk, charge they phone, quiet quitting, taking it offline, and hot chip

lmfao

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Beached Whale posted:

thread title

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

thread background

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Willa Rogers posted:

More than four in 10 Gen Z workers don’t know the meaning behind common workplace phrases such as “bite the bullet” and “back to the salt mines.”

The study — from the visualization platform Rethinkly — discovered that those under the age of 26 are more comfortable with language such as “quiet quitting” and “take this offline.”

Other phrases that Gen Z is struggling with include “cut the mustard,” “flogging a dead horse,” “throw in the towel” and “burning the midnight oil.”

“Let sleeping dogs lie” and “What’s the beef” also made the list of phrases that Gen Z didn’t understand.

Lmao at the destruction of American culture. Most of these phrases were commonly used for a hundred years then the 2000s happened and we garbage binned all our shared culture.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

let sleeping dogs lie is basically my philosophy in life

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the internet has done more to destroy old unnecessary language, and also ensure communism is never possible again. It's worked out splendidly.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

nexous posted:

not shocked; just amused.

I remember being baffled by phrases like "23 skidoo" and "so's your old man" when I was a young'un.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

not shocked; just amused.

I remember being baffled by phrases like "23 skidoo" and "so's your old man" when I was a young'un.

As a young, spry 36-year-old millennial, I understand both of those. :smith:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tippecanoe and Tyler Too

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

FlapYoJacks posted:

As a young, spry 36-year-old millennial, I understand both of those. :smith:

if it makes you feel better, goatse ur mother. if you hit an entire room full of relatives and at least one of them falls down out of shock, triple word score.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

silentsnack posted:

if it makes you feel better, goatse ur mother. if you hit an entire room full of relatives and at least one of them falls down out of shock, triple word score.

I would but I went full no-contact with my parents over a year ago. Best decision for my mental health I have ever made. :v:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

euphronius posted:

its a good strat

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

euphronius posted:

Hell yeah

https://i.imgur.com/AS0On6u.mp4

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

drat lawnmower wont start again

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Morbus posted:

Congratulations on dodging a bullet you would have ended up like this guy: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749287&pagenumber=54#post530671206
:wow:

Yeah, you’re right and it would have sucked if I got it. I’m just indignant about the rejection.

With that guy, his boss wanted him to overfit so he should have just overfit (and still started looking for other jobs)

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 00:58 on May 6, 2023

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

euphronius posted:

All dogs are good, thus all dog lies are factual.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
it’s what it’s

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Heavy weekend posting

E: At least we'll have something to look forward to
https://twitter.com/financialjuice/status/1654581218703441920

net work error has issued a correction as of 01:13 on May 6, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
A boomer, increasingly isolated, now unable to hold back the tears, "You know? ARCHIE BUNKER???!" :qq:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

net work error posted:

Heavy weekend posting

E: At least we'll have something to look forward to
https://twitter.com/financialjuice/status/1654581218703441920

STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
If they thought the report was bad they’d release on Friday

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

A boomer, increasingly isolated, now unable to hold back the tears, "You know? ARCHIE BUNKER???!" :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Animal-Mother posted:

You joke about this, but in the real world it's actually Arrested Development references that are so old that college students and your younger coworkers don't get them: https://ignition-training.com/posts/retire-cpp-joke/