Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I like Scary Gary but this is the first time I've been excited about a story.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Wow, Archie can write upside-down really well!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Bad info even on climate change? From the Internet??!!?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (May 3, 1954)

Oof! He wasn't wrong.

Calvin and Hobbes (May 21-22, 1993)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Dunce

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (December 10-12, 1923; timg'd for casual racism in the dialogue)

Meanwhile, one page over, plunk the dough down for the big ticket present of Christmas 1923.

Toonerville Folks (February 10-12, 1921)

Dok's Dippy U-Boat (September 22, 1914)

Little Lefty, in which come on, dude, she's probably already being fitted for a Hitler Youth uniform by now! (June 23-25, 1938)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 6, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

So I take it Jules recently googled something and came across one of those weird little articles that seem to say a bunch of vague things without ever getting to a point and makes you wonder if it was "written" by Markov chains purely for the clicks?

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (May 3, 1954)

Oof! He wasn't wrong.

:stare: How is this particular strip not famous?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Powered Descent posted:

:stare: How is this particular strip not famous?
People try really hard to convince themselves the comic was always about the dumb big-headed kid getting owned for existing and his kick-rear end dog, and never anything else.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Well, now we know Shermy stopped appearing because he was drafted and killed in Vietnam.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/29-31/41

"Saved, by the very loose-fitting clothing I'm not supposed to be wearing on the shop floor so it doesn't get caught in the machinery" is OSHA as hell, Invisible Scarlet O'Neil is a true-blue American :patriot:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

davidspackage posted:

Interesting. Does this mean when I'm hammering a nail, I'm making my tools gently caress, or is my hammer beating his wife?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

For all you know that could've been on New Earth (aka Planet Bob)

You can’t name a planet Bob!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

And I would have gotten away with it too, if weren't for you meddling seniors!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I never thought about how the nails are all tiny and bent

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
e: LOL i didnt get the May 5th ones in i guess, give me a sec fixed!

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 01-02, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

riderchop fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 6, 2023

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

It's called, "The Creature," as documented in this historical video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkTCRWihPNo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

So I take it Jules recently googled something and came across one of those weird little articles that seem to say a bunch of vague things without ever getting to a point and makes you wonder if it was "written" by Markov chains purely for the clicks?
Feels more like she's seen the writing on the wall that some creators may be more expendable than others

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Feels more like she's seen the writing on the wall that some creators may be more expendable than others

At this point I'm interested in anyone left of Steve Kelley taking over on Mark Trail.

I'll even take that dickshit who does Monty. Jules has Charlie Browned the football daily for two years straight.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Oh, Archie, you scamp.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

In Finland the phrase for "biggest authority on birds" can be the same as "the biggest guy for knowing birds", so the joke possibly works a bit better in Finnish, but hopefully still in English.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Malachite_Dragon posted:

People try really hard to convince themselves the comic was always about the dumb big-headed kid getting owned for existing and his kick-rear end dog, and never anything else.

It's not that hard. Unless you are 80 years old or care about old comics, that's all you've seen since it's what Charles Schulz decided the comic should be about and repeated it for decades. When I was growing up in the 80s I couldn't figure out why the comic was so popular and the artist so revered especially by geniuses like Watterson.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

EasyEW posted:

Meanwhile, one page over, plunk the dough down for the big ticket present of Christmas 1923.

$125 = $2245.80 today!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's not that hard. Unless you are 80 years old or care about old comics, that's all you've seen since it's what Charles Schulz decided the comic should be about and repeated it for decades. When I was growing up in the 80s I couldn't figure out why the comic was so popular and the artist so revered especially by geniuses like Watterson.

Yeah my entire exposure to the Peanuts brand growing up was holiday specials and paraphernalia, and I doubt I'm alone

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The snake's a smart one for adding that stipulation, considering all the non-consensual transformation shenanigans DNA Wizard loves to do on the reg.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

~Coxy posted:

Wow, Archie can write upside-down really well!

With both hands occupied, he apparently wrote using chalk stuck in his urethra

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

chalk stuck in his urethra

caulk

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/5/03

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 12/3/50

I've been unironically enjoying this story, but Hamboli just randomly having a heart attack and dying while Brenda faints is the second worst way to end a story ("it was all a dream!" is still first).

Smokey Stover 6/27/54

Everyday Movies 5/23/36

"George, I've got three columns to fill and we go to press tomorrow. You'll have to sit down and write me some of your 'Letters to the Editor.'"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/1/41

Selachian fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 6, 2023

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wish Alan Moore had featured Invisible Scarlet O'Neil in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen instead of Griffin. Or I suppose in one of the volumes that came after the Victorian age series, rather. She and her plots are brimming with modernization potential. :allears:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 10, 1957)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Bonus lil' coppers indoctrination sheet!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Mister Kingdom posted:

$125 = $2245.80 today!

And the dollar down comes to $17.67.

For those of you who don't have enough suffering in your life, we've been unpacking the latest 9CL material in the BSS Discord. Spoilered because you deserve a fighting chance: Not just a pregnancy fetish, but a delivery room fetish. Look at yesterday's and try to see anything else. I dare you. :unsmigghh:

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (May 8, 1976)

Crankshaft, where the punchline is never having to feel the consequences of your horrible actions.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Anyway, on to Thimble Theater and oh poo poo, I totally forgot to hang a flag on a very big transition earlier this week, because we have a new contender at the art table. And somehow I didn't post his first strip at all. Not a clue how I managed that, but let's make sure we've got the full set.

(December 4, 1939)

That's the first signed Thimble Theater of Bela "Bill" Zaboly who will spend the next twenty years drawing Popeye, very gradually turning the strip to a somewhat looser style. And just to tie things together, he was the artist for Our Boarding House from 1936 to 1938 after Gene Ahern left NEA. Tom Sims continues on scripting duties.

Anyway, hail and farewell to Doc Winner, a good artist, but a man who couldn't draw a Jeep to save his life.

(December 6, 1939)

And we finally get around to Thursday's Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (September 25-27, 1941)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's jarring how much Crankshaft looks like Richard Wolff in today's strip. Wolff isn't an rear end in a top hat though, so...

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

A rubber hose?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I wish Alan Moore had featured Invisible Scarlet O'Neil in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen instead of Griffin. Or I suppose in one of the volumes that came after the Victorian age series, rather. She and her plots are brimming with modernization potential. :allears:

Looking around, it appears Stamm's son published a modern Scarlet graphic novel a while ago. I don't know if it's a new story or the original stories modernized with updated art -- I see the baby in the fire from the orphanage plane crash story on the cover, for instance. Looks hard to find now, unfortunately.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 6, 2023

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft, where the punchline is never having to feel the consequences of your horrible actions.

"Oh, it's fine because I'll be long-dead to see the consequences of my actions" is some real boomer brainrot. gently caress you, Batiuk.

It's also a stupid retcon since he drew the meteor nearly on top of Earth in a previous strip.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (May 4, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 23, 1993)

Big Nate

Dunce

Adbot