Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

ShowTime posted:

True Detective Season 1 is up there among the best TV ever. Season 2 and Season 3, not so much. But you still get some incredible performances from people like Mahershala Ali and Colin Farrell, but I guess they always deliver so that's not so surprising.

Hoping Season 4 can deliver again. Jodie Foster is talented and I love shows set in crazy cold, isolated environments. Here is the trailer if you haven't seen it yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS5bk7XiNVU

This looks awesome from the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can I just skip season 2? 3 Is worth watching yeah?

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

mystes posted:

This appears to combine all the types of tv shows I hate the most into one show, lol

Haha I felt the same way when my partner wanted to watch it, I was certain I’d dislike it at best. Instead, it became one of my favorite shows of the year so far.

It plants itself firmly on the side of “the main guy is the hero of the story”, so there’s no mean pranks or super cringe stuff.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Steve Yun posted:

Skip season 2. Hardly any reason at all to watch it.

Season 3 is better than 2 but not nearly as good as 1. The two leads both do a great job with Stephen Dorff surprising pretty much everyone. I enjoyed it, but I went in with low expectations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Don't skip season 2; it's worth watching for all the ridiculously over-the-top faux-noir dialogue:

The last one inspired me to make this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHn0B7R8li8

Season 3 is good, but it is good in the same way that a lot of other shows are great if you know what I mean. For all the flaws of season 2, there is nothing else quite like it.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 25, 2023

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SimonChris posted:

Don't skip season 2; it's worth watching for all the ridiculously over-the-top faux-noir dialogue:

Season 3 is good, but it is good in the same way that a lot of other shows are great if you know what I mean. For all the flaws of season 2, there is nothing else quite like it.

Yeeesh, I forgot about all that. I remember it seemed like all the actors saw season 1, then they all tried to be the Rust Cohle of season 2.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Just a few more I forgot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wift4FuvvYk

The dialogue is so florid that "vinceposting" - the act of writing fake lines for Vince Vaughn's character - became a meme on 4chan for a while. You have to respect a script with a style distinct enough that parodies are instantly recognizable.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 25, 2023

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

SimonChris posted:

these must've been cribbed from some david milch script that never got used

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You can't blame the actors, though. The delivery of this one is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gGNCyNXCtw

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The new Dead Ringers miniseries on Amazon Prime was excellent. Rachel Weisz did career-best work playing very different twisted twins. Now I need to finally watch the original movie to compare and contrast them.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Octy posted:

Rabbit Hole is filling a Kiefer Sutherland sized hole I didn't know I had.

Him and Dance having breakfast (I think episode 2) was so great.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Slothful Bong posted:

Haha I felt the same way when my partner wanted to watch it, I was certain I’d dislike it at best. Instead, it became one of my favorite shows of the year so far.

It plants itself firmly on the side of “the main guy is the hero of the story”, so there’s no mean pranks or super cringe stuff.

It's really a solid show. Especially when you see the last episode and how they story-boarded three different outcomes for everything based on how the main guy would react to stuff, and they had to all adjust on the fly

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
We Own This City, holy poo poo. Started the second episode last night and then just could not stop. Incredibly bleak television but compulsive watchable. It's wild how in the interim between the final season of The Wire and the present, the policing situation in Baltimore has only gotten more hosed up and hopeless. I'm jonesing for more David Simon, now, so I may have to do a Wire rewatch. Has anyone seen Show Me a Hero (2015), the limited series starring Oscar Isaac which he cowrote with William F. Zorzi and was directed by the abominable Paul Haggis?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Rental Sting posted:

We Own This City, holy poo poo. Started the second episode last night and then just could not stop. Incredibly bleak television but compulsive watchable. It's wild how in the interim between the final season of The Wire and the present, the policing situation in Baltimore has only gotten more hosed up and hopeless. I'm jonesing for more David Simon, now, so I may have to do a Wire rewatch. Has anyone seen Show Me a Hero (2015), the limited series starring Oscar Isaac which he cowrote with William F. Zorzi and was directed by the abominable Paul Haggis?

Show me a hero is great although possibly his most depressing show. The first two seasons of the Deuce are also really good, falls off a bit with the third. Haven’t seen plot against America.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Show Me a Hero and Plot Against America are both good tight one season shows. Show Me a Hero is better, and will make you mad in similar ways to We Own This City. Plot Against America is way more fictional than what Simon usually does. Shows like The Wire and Treme are fictional obviously, but they base a lot of what's happening around actual real events and sometimes real people, while PAA is alt history stuff.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Cool, sounds like I should watch Show Me a Hero because I love being bummed out. Of the HBO stuff, I've seen everything except The Corner, SMaH and The Plot Against America, but I've read the novel and I'm usually cold on adaptations of things I've already read.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

Show me a hero is the reason i have a massive crush on oscar isaac :swoon:

Very bleak though, needed some time to sit until the bad vibes dissipated from that show

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you really want to be bummed out, watch Unbelievable on Netflix.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Poker Face is a solid neo noir with Natasha Lyonne as the lead and a minor role going to Mountain Goats' John Darnielle. Chloe Sevigny and Adrian Brody and a ton of other game indie actors from the 2000s. Twisty murder plot aside it's just a good time

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Poker Face is a solid neo noir with Natasha Lyonne as the lead and a minor role going to Mountain Goats' John Darnielle. Chloe Sevigny and Adrian Brody and a ton of other game indie actors from the 2000s. Twisty murder plot aside it's just a good time

Also a Columbo tribute.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Agent Elvis. It is really, really stupid but so well written its actually really fun. I am not 100% certain it actually needs second series, but it will most likely get one.

...And for some really unexplainable reason I kept getting Ducktales 2017 vibes out of it.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
The Mandalorian's third series was solid. For a minute I was worried it'd get completely hijacked into trying to excuse the absolutely inexcusable pile of poo poo sequel movies, but it narrowly avoided that fate and leaned into its own, fanservicey tongue-in-cheek Good Star Wars. Here's to hoping this was the last series because that would make the final scene pitch perfect.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Getting at least a Mandalorian movie so there’s gonna be a little more.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I’ve been enjoying Warrior a lot, but worried it won’t come back for a third season.

June 29th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXgq6xQSyko

I might have to catch up in time to watch it. That was kind of a boring teaser though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Getting at least a Mandalorian movie so there’s gonna be a little more.

Yeah I heard they’re gonna do a mando, boba, Ashoka(?) movie once those have all run.

They are so kill happy with star wars films tho that could or could not end up happening.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

ShowTime posted:

June 29th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXgq6xQSyko

I might have to catch up in time to watch it. That was kind of a boring teaser though.

:woop: hell yeah

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Octy posted:

Rabbit Hole is filling a Kiefer Sutherland sized hole I didn't know I had.

I just came here to talk about that show. I binged all 6 episodes today.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I finished Dragon Prince season 4 and the whole thing might have been a waste of time because I don't remember a single thing that happened. Even individual episodes aren't memorable at all. They all just kind of end in a random spot and the credits start rolling.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Finished up Party Down Season 3. The new season quite possess the spark it had during the original run, maybe because there have been so many similar edgy half-hour workplace comedies in the meantime, but it was still often very funny and it was great to revisit the characters again.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Took my time with the third series of Godfather of Harlem, only 2 episodes a day, to appreciate what it was building up to. Loved the new antagonist but was a bit miffed by the turns Stella's character takes. And maybe Malcolm X's appointment with destiny weighed a little too heavy on the narrative, because I felt the ending was a bit of a cop-out, just a number of deus ex machina's to reset the status quo instead of resolving everything that had been building up so far. Still, pretty good TV.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I finished the first 3 seasons of Frasier. Never got into it before so this is mostly first watch. You think casting cheers was lightning in a bottle then they did it again.

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde

phosdex posted:

I finished the first 3 seasons of Frasier. Never got into it before so this is mostly first watch. You think casting cheers was lightning in a bottle then they did it again.

Also been rewatching it and you are correct. Just fantastic.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

phosdex posted:

i watched cheers when i was a kid and frasier was much more my thing, it really was one of the best sitcoms ever made

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Doktor Avalanche posted:

i watched cheers when i was a kid and frasier was much more my thing, it really was one of the best sitcoms ever made

And to think of what it could have been.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
Been going through Couples Therapy on Showtime. It is what it sounds like a show about a therapist counseling relationships. Really enjoyable if your into therapy stuff at all. My friend who got me into it says it's pretty fun to watch with your significant other cause it can open dialogues about how you communicate with each other. Unfortunately I'm single at the moment so I can't vouch for that aspect but I'm still vibing with it.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Poker Face has been a delightful little murder mystery romp with some great cameos. Columbo 2 in a way, but also very much its own thing.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Poker Face has been a delightful little murder mystery romp with some great cameos. Columbo 2 in a way, but also very much its own thing.

I've been thinking of checking that out, but I've been over Natasha Lyonne's whole "thing" for a while now.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I've been thinking of checking that out, but I've been over Natasha Lyonne's whole "thing" for a while now.

I know exactly what you mean, don't let it put you off this show, it's really good.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Doktor Avalanche posted:

Gary Gulman has a bit about what a tremendous spin-off the New Testament is and that Jesus is the Frasier of Nazareth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Rollos posted:

Been going through Couples Therapy on Showtime. It is what it sounds like a show about a therapist counseling relationships. Really enjoyable if your into therapy stuff at all. My friend who got me into it says it's pretty fun to watch with your significant other cause it can open dialogues about how you communicate with each other. Unfortunately I'm single at the moment so I can't vouch for that aspect but I'm still vibing with it.

Wow this is great! Thanks for the recommendation!

We started watching Shrinking but I'm not convinced. Is this show going to end up with some kind of anti mental health message? I'm a bit worried that The ending of ep 1 gives a real good lesson in why there are ethical boundaries between patient and provider. Are they then going to U turn into some fantasy where mentally ill people just need someone to talk to?

I don't need that in my life right now.