Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

live with fruit posted:

Who has publicly said they're not interested in joining the MCU and then signed a long contract?

the only person I can think who fits this, and they didn't sign a long contract, is Ethan Hawke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess I was just roping it into the general denials. I don’t pay near enough attention to industry news to know if anyones specifically denied long contracts.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Driving up the dump truck to play the bad guy who dies at the end is Marvel's trump card.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I can be impatient as well but if you give me $20 million dollars I'll stand in front of a green screen all day

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Opopanax posted:

I can be impatient as well but if you give me $20 million dollars I'll stand in front of a green screen all day

Isn't the whole point of hiring someone like Mescal not paying him $20 million?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3 was a lovely film. There were only like 10 other people in the theater for a 5:00 showing the day before release! Weird pacing and definitely not as goofy as the previous efforts, but I laughed, cried, and really enjoyed the ending.

No one died! A very welcome surprise. Rocket's story ending with him finally just being happy is exactly where it needed to be. I liked all the reasons the Guardians had for going their separate ways. I cried a couple of times - Peter and Gamora's final scene got me, probably because I just got dumped a little while ago and goodbyes like that always get me anyway. High Evolutionary is a great madman, Adam Warlock needed a little more screentime but I dug him, and the body count in this one is kinda wild.

Happy to see Phyla, the new Guardians, and that Star-Lord will return. Chris Pratt notwithstanding, I like the character a lot. I could not tell what the final conversation between he and his grandpa was about though. Weird audio mixing or maybe just my theater.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just saw Guardians. Really enjoyed it.

Quill is really only technically the main character, Rocket is much more central even if he's out of commission for most of the story. Also I really appreciated how much Nebula and Mantis got to do. Very surprised Drax at least didn't die. The High Evolutionary was a great menace.

Overall I felt the length a bit towards the two hour mark, but it ended very strong.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also! The first F-bomb in the MCU! (At least, as far as I remember)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

live with fruit posted:

Who has publicly said they're not interested in joining the MCU and then signed a long contract?

Not the same thing, but I could've sworn I read an interview with Oscar Isaac at some point post-Star Wars where he said he was done with Disney... and now he's Moon Knight.

e: never mind I misremembered, he said he was done with Star Wars, not Disney as a whole.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It was a good movie, not top 5 though. Honestly, maybe the weakest of the three Guardians movies but still better than average for the MCU as a whole.

I'm more happy about what didn't happen than what did happen in the movie. They did a good sendoff to the cast members without needlessly killing them off. They also did not force Quill and Gamora back together - thank God! Also why did Starlord not have his helmet or rocket boots? They would have come in pretty handy at the end...

My one real complaint is that Drax is mostly just there for laughs again, which is frustrating. I like that he got to have his little moment saving the kids, but 95% of the time was just for gags. I really wish they could have found a better direction for him after the first movie (like they did in the SquareEnix game where he was excellent).

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Guardians was fantastic. Bring tissue.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Joe Fisto posted:

Guardians was fantastic. Bring tissue.

That sexy, huh?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

enigmahfc posted:

That sexy, huh?

Have you seen Nebula’s outfit?

I was going to find a pic of her casual mom outfit and LOL at this article

Changed to a screenshot to avoid giving them clicks

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 5, 2023

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Never go to that site. It's a well known haven for dipshits.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

X-O posted:

Never go to that site. It's a well known haven for dipshits.

Oh yeah. I still had to laugh.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
imagine thinking butch nebula isn't hot

I can't. i can't even imagine it

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
steaming mad at the Wokes that 36 year old karen gillan doesnt have the same exact body as photoshopped 26 year old karen gillan!!!!!!!!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

steaming mad at the Wokes that 36 year old karen gillan doesnt have the same exact body as photoshopped 26 year old karen gillan!!!!!!!!

If Gunn does indeed cast her as Poison Ivy, I imagine we'll be getting some truly deranged wailing and idk fancasting that they should have time traveled and cast Mad Men era Christina Hendricks or something

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

SlimGoodbody posted:

If Gunn does indeed cast her as Poison Ivy, I imagine we'll be getting some truly deranged wailing and idk fancasting that they should have time traveled and cast Mad Men era Christina Hendricks or something

Scottish Poison Ivy? Okay, yes please.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Maybe it's going to be something less obvious and she'll play Jenny Sparks.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Of course Poulter would end up being perfectly cast after all the nerd rage.

It had the worst bathos in an MCU movie though, when Quill tries to appeal to Gamora only for everyone to tell him that he hit the wrong button, and that's clearly saying something.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 6, 2023

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I gotta say High Evolutionary in comics usually strikes me more like the comedic version of Reed, blithely overseeing all manner of ethically dubious experiments. The obsessive unhinged movie version is way more interesting.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m not overly familiar with the Higher Evolutionary but I always thought the clear difference between him and all the other borderline mad scientists is his utterly amoral willingness to experiment on living beings. I always figured he was basically Dr Frankenstein.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That was good!

I'm glad they gave Nebula more because she's great, and it's nice that they actually let Saldana act in this one.
Weird how little Warlock there is but I'm guessing he'll show up in other stuff.
Did not expect Phylla so that was cool, hopewit goes somewhere.

I did kind of find the gore and swearing out of place, just kind of felt like a cringy attempt at the "comics aren't just for kids!" we had to put up with in the 80s/90s. Does Starlord saying "loving" really add anything?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s really funny.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
I did not love it. The contrast between the grim flashback sequences and the wacky shtick didn’t work for me (I liked the flashbacks; the comedy just didn’t land for me this time). Also a mistake to sideline Rocket for so much of the movie, especially when the story centers so heavily on him

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

I’m not overly familiar with the Higher Evolutionary but I always thought the clear difference between him and all the other borderline mad scientists is his utterly amoral willingness to experiment on living beings. I always figured he was basically Dr Frankenstein.

With High Evolutionary it's more a matter of scale.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Comics High Evolutionary has a benevolent side to him as well. Movie High Evolutionary was straight up evil.

Anyway, I loved it. It also made me cry a lot.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Put me in the cry crew.

Adam Warlock is much more Him than space messiah, and it works.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FoneBone posted:

I did not love it. The contrast between the grim flashback sequences and the wacky shtick didn’t work for me (I liked the flashbacks; the comedy just didn’t land for me this time). Also a mistake to sideline Rocket for so much of the movie, especially when the story centers so heavily on him

Similar to my thoughts. After the fun of the first and even second movie this felt like Gunn going old school Gunn for his last hurrah and adding way too much gore and death and gruesomeness. Infinity War's hero dusting had nothing on this movie's torture and murder of animals.

Definitely echo you about sidelining Rocket. He has always been the best part of the Guardians so Search for Spocking him took away a lot of the charm of the group (who seemed to be yelling more than usual). Also I don't quite get the ending -- he's the saviour of all these animals and he even allows the HE to live but in the mid-credits scene does he go "murder 'em" about the incoming herd?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, it had a surprising amount of traditional science fiction in its dna where it actually says things about modern issues like animal experimentation/vivisection. Which, you know, being part of a comic book movie, I tend not to expect these days.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Opopanax posted:

That was good!

Did not expect Phylla so that was cool, hopewit goes somewhere.

I must have missed this part unless she was the little girl at the end, which makes sense since I was curious if she was somebody from the comics and I missed her name

I know sone people didn’t like the sort of whiplash from serious to comedic, but I’m actually really a sucker for that stuff done right, and I felt this was done really well.

My only real complaint was there were too many ‘music drops, tram walks toward camera is slo mo’ scenes. Other than that, pretty great.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

enigmahfc posted:

I must have missed this part unless she was the little girl at the end, which makes sense since I was curious if she was somebody from the comics and I missed her name

Yep. Could just be a for fun thing but nice that they've got it in there for possible future use

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lobok posted:

Definitely echo you about sidelining Rocket. He has always been the best part of the Guardians so Search for Spocking him took away a lot of the charm of the group (who seemed to be yelling more than usual). Also I don't quite get the ending -- he's the saviour of all these animals and he even allows the HE to live but in the mid-credits scene does he go "murder 'em" about the incoming herd?

Towns not gonna protect itself

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Lobok posted:

. Also I don't quite get the ending -- he's the saviour of all these animals and he even allows the HE to live but in the mid-credits scene does he go "murder 'em" about the incoming herd?

Rubber bullets. Promise.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CelticPredator posted:

Towns not gonna protect itself

It felt like an odd choice not to make them more monster-ish or evil-coded after Rocket's arc (ark...? :classiclol: ) in the film.

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, it had a surprising amount of traditional science fiction in its dna where it actually says things about modern issues like animal experimentation/vivisection. Which, you know, being part of a comic book movie, I tend not to expect these days.

Gunn looked around and thought to himself, well, nobody else has adapted We3...

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
Just saw the movie and loved it. Thought: is Guardians of the Galaxy now the best comic book movie trilogy?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

As a trilogy I'd still rather rewatch Cap or Iron Man but the first GotG is one of the best. Never really thought about it before but I think GotG 1 is my #2 of the whole MCU.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Cap movies were all pretty good, but yeah the Guardians are probably the most consistently good movies. If I’d been born 10-15 years ago the first one would probably be my favourite movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gotg 2 is my favorite MCU with 3 right behind