Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sickening posted:

The turn out for FNM at my closest LGS was huge today. FIrst time I have been in a years. The shop was revamped last year. Most surprising is just as many showed up to play flesh and blood.

F&b seems to have a decent community behind it, the FOMO marketing aside. Last time I went to modern fnm there were like 35ish for modern and about the same for f&b. Apparently the game is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

LifeLynx posted:

Have they said if the LotR set includes stuff from The Hobbit? My family would love seeing a Smaug card.

I think the Sauron Necromancer is a reference to stuff that Gandalf did while the rest of the Thorin Crew was busy in Mirkwood so hopefully.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Delighted Halfling seems like a ridiculously solid dork for commander. It's a Cavern of Souls for Legendary!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lol

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Pinkertons: Activate!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Framboise posted:

Delighted Halfling seems like a ridiculously solid dork for commander. It's a Cavern of Souls for Legendary!

It’s nuts!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Really not a fan of the LOTR flavour, just falling completely flat for me in a way that 40K did not. I think having a full set of it, and therefore needing to have a large number of mediocre cards, hasn't helped but the "tempted by the ring" mechanics are not good

Arivia posted:

so one of these is gonna have the tenth doctor's fez as an equipment right

Eleventh!! (Trap sprung etc)

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I saw a tweet that Jim Davis had a 5 color draft deck list for first day of the pro tour. Is there anywhere I can see that decklist? I saw all the standard deck lists on the site.

https://twitter.com/PlayMTG/status/1654670735246254080?s=20

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Here's his draft:

https://twitter.com/JimDavisMTG/status/1654702847454330880

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
gently caress he pulled a Legends sheet Elesh Norn, yeah he's gonna own bones with almost any pile when he has the best draft card in the set.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Here's his draft:
Thank you, very interesting. I actually looked at his twitter for it last night but not this morning. That is a sweet deck though.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

mycomancy posted:

gently caress he pulled a Legends sheet Elesh Norn, yeah he's gonna own bones with almost any pile when he has the best draft card in the set.

I had one in my prerelease pool and every game was just me trying to find it and resolve it to win it was awesome.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fritzler posted:

I saw a tweet that Jim Davis had a 5 color draft deck list for first day of the pro tour. Is there anywhere I can see that decklist? I saw all the standard deck lists on the site.

https://twitter.com/PlayMTG/status/1654670735246254080?s=20
oh hell yeah let's go jim!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No actually that’s a legit catch you’re right I got my numbering wrong.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elesh Norn has to be one of the best limited bombs ever printed, right?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Fajita Queen posted:

She is very good, she is not THAT good. She has no kind of protection, and she doesn't bring you back from a losing position.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Elesh Norn is up there. Pack Rat and Jitte are the top two probably?

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Khanstant posted:

LotR set seems like a total dud. … weak cards.

Just wait until “Swiftspear Ring-Bearer” dominates Legacy for six months and they end up needing to ban Gollum.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

LotR set seems like a total dud. Ugly art, weak cards (bc they know they don't need to be good cards), weak thematic elements.

I mean, it's got a strictly better Remand (in white!!) and possibly one of the best mana dorks ever printed?

If that's the best it's got to offer then I'm still ready to stock up on those.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Really not a fan of the LOTR flavour, just falling completely flat for me in a way that 40K did not. I think having a full set of it, and therefore needing to have a large number of mediocre cards, hasn't helped but the "tempted by the ring" mechanics are not good

LotR is the grandaddy of basically anything with wizards n poo poo, so I had high expectations but I am continually disappointed by the art and theming in this set. I know the designers and artists are probably fans, who isnt unless they wanna be special, but man it's not coming through on art or design so far. The cards almost look like they're from another game and art director.

I now just look forward to Eldraine, gently caress aftermath, gently caress master milkers, gently caress LotR, I'm ready for a real regular magic set.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I must have missed the announcement of masters milkers because that sounds like the set for me!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The LOTR set only has like 10 cards revealed, 5 are lands (of which two look great) and three cards that look like Staples in every format they're legal in.

It's making those of us who didn't think it was mh3 and closer to coreset 2023 lol like total morons

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can't feel bad for hoping they don't MH us anymore.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The good cards in LotR seem pretty strong but I don’t think a soft counter spell or decent dork are going to turn any formats on their head. We’ve see such a small slice tho so who knows, maybe something will be Hogaak busted.

On balance MH2 was more good than bad for Magic as a whole imo so I’m looking forward to the full LotR set. It’s cool that they’re making all the really playable stuff setting agnostic kind of so far.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Sickening posted:

I must have missed the announcement of masters milkers because that sounds like the set for me!

I think it's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXTt8MBTX2o

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

YggdrasilTM posted:

She is very good, she is not THAT good. She has no kind of protection, and she doesn't bring you back from a losing position.

Are you talking about the new one? The original Norn definitely brings you back from a losing position.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

New Secret Lair Commander Deck coming, "From Cute to Brute," the main gimmick being five double-faced cards with cutsey artwork on the front from Nana Qi, and metal art from Godmachine on the back
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/commander-returns-to-secret-lair-with-from-cute-to-brute

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Smol Nicol Bolas

even with his twee twin bro

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This fuckin owns, I especially love the flavor text

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Lets Pickle posted:

Are you talking about the new one? The original Norn definitely brings you back from a losing position.

Ah, yes, I was talking of the new one

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm in for the SL commander deck. Look forward to trying it out in a couple years.

Edit: Actually kind of looks like the deck sucks and the gimmick is bad. I'd get an SL of those 5 though.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 6, 2023

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

lol (the Rakdos Midrange from this tournament that is at 59% is just Day 1, the others are all days)

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Fajita Queen posted:

IIRC she was less egregious in her original format due to how many other ridiculous bombs there were alongside her.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

these blown up cards have an alt-art version on them

it amuses me to no end that they're going with halfling on these

because halfling was the term gary gygax (one of the D&D creators) came up with to replace hobbit when the tolkien estate people threatened him over using hobbit and other LotR fantasy names in the earliest versions of D&D

now it's replaced hobbit on licensed lotr products

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

GonSmithe posted:

New Secret Lair Commander Deck coming, "From Cute to Brute," the main gimmick being five double-faced cards with cutsey artwork on the front from Nana Qi, and metal art from Godmachine on the back
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/commander-returns-to-secret-lair-with-from-cute-to-brute

I like it!

Will I get it in less than a loving year this time?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

edit nvm

LSV got turbostompped from a mull to 6 and then drawing no lands, get hosed

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

edit nvm

LSV got turbostompped from a mull to 6 and then drawing no lands, get hosed

dang they applied the arena shuffler to paper games now?

those LOTR alt arts look great

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Framboise posted:

I like it!

Will I get it in less than a loving year this time?

It is preprinted

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Arivia posted:

it amuses me to no end that they're going with halfling on these

because halfling was the term gary gygax (one of the D&D creators) came up with to replace hobbit when the tolkien estate people threatened him over using hobbit and other LotR fantasy names in the earliest versions of D&D

now it's replaced hobbit on licensed lotr products

Hobbits were called halflings by non-hobbits in the books, one instance of it even made it to the movies ("Kill all, but not the halflings!")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Silhouette posted:

Hobbits were called halflings by non-hobbits in the books, one instance of it even made it to the movies ("Kill all, but not the halflings!")

okay but still it's funny