Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Space Jam posted:

this is my 2nd xbox controller in 2 years to get stick drift. is it worth it to get an elite controller if it’s more durable? i really don’t want to keep replacing them.

All (and I do mean all) controllers have the potential of drifting, it's not a durability issue per say, but a limitation of how the mechanism works. Having it happen to you twice in such a small span of time is just the odds against you unfortunately. The solution to this would be to use hall effect joysticks, but per usual a patent prevents their adoption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

fair enough, third time is the charm i suppose

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
My launch Series X controller is still going strong, though the rubber on the left thumbstick has worn down to the plastic on one edge (I'll eventually get around to replacing it as I did with my Xbone controllers).

Charles Martel posted:

Even calling it 1.0 is a stretch anymore. It really helps having a huge backlog of games since I have plenty to keep me occupied until the games that come out that I'm sorta interested in go from "broken pile of poo poo on release" to "much better after a few patches and maybe even have some DLC included".

:same: It's usually only multiplayer games that I play on launch, but that's more to do with being able to play them before the server pop dies off (which can happen quickly in my region).

Edit: that said, I may be getting into Starfield day 1 :D

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 6, 2023

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
When my Switch controller started drifting I just sprayed some contact spray in there and it was fixed instantly. Doesn‘t this work on the xbox controller?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Neco posted:

When my Switch controller started drifting I just sprayed some contact spray in there and it was fixed instantly. Doesn‘t this work on the xbox controller?

You have to use a special licensed contact spray for xbox that costs 700 dollars per can.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

acksplode posted:

I'm calling for a total and complete shutdown of AAA games until our country's representatives can figure out what's going on

thank you

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Neco posted:

That's in most cases a temporary fix. I have a white dualshock 4 that gets the drift fixed a few months with a qtip with some alcohol. Takes seconds and it's lasting 4 years so I think that's good enough.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

acksplode posted:

I'm calling for a total and complete shutdown of AAA games until our country's representatives can figure out what's going on

Microsoft has been ahead of the curve on this

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'm about to wrap up Benedict Fox, and if you were thinking about checking it out, I'm gonna suggest you pass. The artistic direction is fantastic, without question, but the gameplay is abysmal. It's a game that doesn't understand its strengths. Its combat is awful and unresponsive and its controls are imprecise, but it wants you to be in combat almost constantly and its biggest setpieces rely on precision platforming (with, on top of imprecise controls, also feature trial-and-error and extraordinarily poor signposting). Instead of leaning hard into the exploration, which is good, and the mystery, which is solid-to-good, it forces you to engage with the parts of itself that just kinda suck. It's beyond me how a game with such poor combat could lean so hard into that combat and get through testing, but here we are.

I called the exploration 'good,' but that's also not without its caveats. The precision platforming portions of the game aren't the only ones with signposting issues. You're very frequently left with absolutely no idea of where to go and have to just kinda throw yourself at the unexplored portions of the map. That's all well and good, but teleporting around to do that means enemies respawn and you're locked into more and more combat. There are gameplay elements that just straight-up don't get explained, and you end up dying or being forced to replay sections over and over because there's no indication of what you were meant to do.

On top of that, it's kind of a buggy mess. The performance is awful, with seconds-long hitches and a framerate that absolutely tanks in certain portions of the map — even on performance mode, which, unlike in a lot of other games I've seen, does very, very noticeably impact graphical quality. There are numerous game-breaking bugs, some of which still haven't been fixed. And there's no autosave that I'm aware of, meaning you can easily lose hours of progress if you run into one of those bugs during a longer session.

Mercifully, the game does give you some nice accessibility options which include the ability to nullify the combat almost entirely by making enemies one-hit kills and making Benedict invulnerable. I'd have given up on it long ago, otherwise.

I really want to like it because the look is fantastic and the development team is very active in the community and worked/are working their asses off to make it a great game, but it came out way too early and has some glaring flaws that can't be overlooked.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Microsoft has been ahead of the curve on this

Still can't believe a Phantom Dust reboot of all things got an E3 main stage trailer only to get canceled. Millions of dollars to punch me in the balls

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Also if you have a single completionist bone in your body and you are thinking about starting FH5, TAKE A PICTURE OF THE MERCEDES-AMG ONE YOU DRIVE AT THE START OF THE GAME. The game tracks every single car you've taken a picture of, and that car is only ever available during that race. And you can't replay the race. And then you've got 200 hours into your save and you're seriously considering starting over completely so you can take a picture of that car.

This is an old as gently caress post but apparently you can't even take pictures in that intro section. Apparently no one has that vehicle photo at all.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

univbee posted:

This is an old as gently caress post but apparently you can't even take pictures in that intro section. Apparently no one has that vehicle photo at all.

p sure I got it from a custom event where someone had the car

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Space Jam posted:

this is my 2nd xbox controller in 2 years to get stick drift. is it worth it to get an elite controller if it’s more durable? i really don’t want to keep replacing them.

Get a 8bitdo ultimate 2.4 ghz with hall effect sticks that cant drift and either a xbox converter or a pc and throw your xbox in the river like a bird scooter

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

the rat fandom posted:

While our country is still reeling from the shock of redfalls release hardly seems like the time for such a discussion. I would personally offer my thoughts and prayers to the players affected by this horrible tragedy.

:golfclap:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

kecske posted:

p sure I got it from a custom event where someone had the car

You can also buy one from the autoshow for 2.7mil credits, which is required for the One for All achievement (I only know this because I did this recently). :shrug:

Edit: apparently you also drive one on the Test Driver: Horizon Rush story so you could take a photo there.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 6, 2023

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Space Jam posted:

They're not more durable. They are really excellent, but my first one's LB stopped working and my second came with more drift than the first and the plastic piece that changes the trigger choke broke off.

I'd buy another.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rocket Pan posted:

All (and I do mean all) controllers have the potential of drifting, it's not a durability issue per say, but a limitation of how the mechanism works. Having it happen to you twice in such a small span of time is just the odds against you unfortunately. The solution to this would be to use hall effect joysticks, but per usual a patent prevents their adoption.

nah, the new 8bitdos have hall effect sensors, they're becoming more popular in general. gulikit sells individual sticks i think.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I replaced all of my Switch sticks with Hall effect ones I’d do the same with my Xbox ones but they’re soldered in there and I’m too nervous to mess with that stuff

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i think replacing xbox sticks is easier than taking apart and putting a joycon back together without ripping a ribbon cable tbh. just practice soldering on dead stuff until you're comfy with it, it's all through-hole.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yet another post from me about how awful the controls are on Star Wars: Squadrons. I've been on a bit of a SW kick lately.

I'm playing on southpaw and the only option I have to drift is to double tap left stick and then hold it, while using it to steer, to initiate the drift.

I think the devs got too inside their own head with this fps view, pun intended.

Jesus god drat Christ just give us a new Rogue Squadron game.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 7, 2023

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Beastie posted:

Yet another post from me about how awful the controls are on Star Wars: Squadrons. I've been on a bit of a SW kick lately.

I'm playing on southpaw and the only option I have to drift is to double tap left stick and then hold it, while using it to steer, to initiate the drift.

I think the devs got too inside their own head with this fps view, pun intended.

Jesus god drat Christ just give us a new Rogue Squadron game.

Look at this fool not using a flight stick like god intended.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sws has the dumbest bullshit controls in history. Nobody likes to throttle down to 50% to improve turning speed. Completely dumb. Its frickin space

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Throwback to the 90's X-Wing and TIE Fighter games.

Star Wars probably not the best material for realistic spacedogfights.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Sandepande posted:

Throwback to the 90's X-Wing and TIE Fighter games.

Star Wars probably not the best material for realistic spacedogfights.

I don't think anyone would want to play space Joust a la Expanse.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They tried to balance "realism" from the sim games and the arcadey rogue games, creating something super unsatisfying.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

JBP posted:

They tried to balance "realism" from the sim games and the arcadey rogue games, creating something super unsatisfying.

I thought it was pretty much a remake from the aforementioned LucasArts spaceplane sims. Which was nice for me, I really like them.

Too bad they couldn't include iMuse.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The biggest problem with starwars squadrons was the lack of having a decent singleplayer game (or matchmaking), because multiplayer you would just get some rear end in a top hat who does nothing but play the game, has a meta build of a TIE Bomber (why the gently caress was that the best for dogfighting?!) who would destroy you before you even had a clue where he was. Game just wasn't fun for anyone even slightly casual.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It was really fun online for like a month until people got really good at it. I do wish it had a more substantial single player campaign. What was there was fun enough, but there isn’t really anything to do except multi after that and it’s only what 7 hours maybe? And it’s mostly just spruced up bot matches.

Still for 40 bux I thought it was solid. Also cool as hell in VR.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Seven hours was OK for me (I've probably lost some appetite for hot starfighter action in the last 30 years), possibly also because it came with Gamepass/EA Play.

The multiplayer/bot matches were too long-winded.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Gotta give it credit for a having a genuine “redirect power to the shields!” interaction

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

veni veni veni posted:

It was really fun online for like a month until people got really good at it.

That's 99% of multi-player games for you

It was a lot of fun but I think that's also largely because I was playing on HOTAS and flying in a straight line is fun that way. The dynamic systems redirection and the differences between the empire and rebel ships were cool too. IMO it just comes around that there is only so much you can do in a space combat game without either getting atmospheric combat involved or making increasingly complex capital ships and the engine just wasn't built for that as much.

Which is weird because you certainly accelerate and decelerate like you're in atmosphere. Why do I suddenly drop 30 MPH the second I come off the boost? What's holding me down in space?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I love multiplayer games in theory but in practice I don't have the time/will to get good enough at them for it to be fun.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I love multiplayer games in theory but in practice I don't have the time/will to get good enough at them for it to be fun.

A lot of it comes down to the point where you move from playing the game to learning it and if I'm going to get a degree from clown school I'm at least going to try and do birthday parties.

Consoles are less of this for me, but I can see it a lot in PC shooters where a line gets drawn because I've been playing them for long enough that I usually can do pretty well out of the gate. But around a month or two later you start getting hit from weird angles and through specific points and go "ah we are now in the 'youtube map knowledge' zone" and everything goes to poo poo. I'm sure that it's fun for those doing it but it's exhausting to me.

RIP Rainbow Six Siege, you had such promise.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xbox says they will tell us the starfield framerate earlier before launch than the redfall announcement.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
As someone with extremely limited patience for 30 fps these day, 30 fps was one of the lesser problems for redfall. The fact it cant even keep 30 frames for insance is one of those bigger ones. That said todd better ship a 60 fps mode even if it means 360 graphics.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s gonna be an unstable thirty or a very unstable forty

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hope they show some of the game that isnt gray man on gray planet under gray sky next month.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

hatty posted:

It’s gonna be an unstable thirty or a very unstable forty

We are lucky to get any, thank you Todd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
If it was gonna be 60 they'd just say that, it's very obviously going to be 30.

If they pace it well like Forza Horizon that's just fine, but Todd Howard's Bethesda probably won't do that.