Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

bamhand posted:

I really am not convinced it's possible to beat Lagon as melee without a controller.

Why would that be hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Every time you try to move to dodge something you just get stuck on his enormous body and just sit there locked in place attacking him. Game doesn't have a force to move key if you want to retain ability to have left click attack. In D3, I use middle click to do a force move and left click to attack/move. Not possible here.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I dig the crafting system but think I may just be too bad to play this game. Is there a build that kills bosses with turrets (a la hydras in the Diablo games) or other things that don't require me to target the boss? I might be able to survive all the "move or die" mechanics if I could spend all of my focus on just staying alive. But when my cursor has to be on the boss to cast spells at it, there's a 0% chance of me being able to also move my charterer out of death zones reliably enough to win.

I tried maxing out mouse sensitivity, but that mostly causes me to overshoot. The real problem is that my brain/hands are too slow. These newfangled arpgs may just be too much for me in my dotage :corsair:

e: duhhh, pet build seems like the obvious answer.

If you want something non-necro, you can always give totem shaman a go. Take thorn totem, storm crows, and thunder totem as your core and fill out from there. Drop all three into their respective cold damage and stack the +cold traits out of your passives. Take the crow teleport for movement, and then it's mostly just dropping totems and scooting away. All three abilities are bound to minion spell damage so just run wild with that.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

bamhand posted:

Every time you try to move to dodge something you just get stuck on his enormous body and just sit there locked in place attacking him. Game doesn't have a force to move key if you want to retain ability to have left click attack. In D3, I use middle click to do a force move and left click to attack/move. Not possible here.

Wouldn't you want to be using an ability to attack instead of a weak default attack, which would be on right click or another button?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Left-click attack/move sucks and I'm glad they don't encourage it here.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Saxophone posted:

Ya know I thought about this a bit and in any other genre ‘don’t stand in the fire’ is largely ok, but in a game that is requiring you to point and click moving in and out of fire just feels worse. Using wasd or twin stick it’s easy to navigate and run, whereas with point and click I feel like I’m way more prone to my character faffing off in the wrong direction or getting pasted because my angle was wrong and it still clipped me, etc.

this is why i keep yelling at people that they need to add wasd movement to arpgs so you can aim with mouse and move with keyboard/stick/whatever, but no, diablo scheme from 30 years ago is the only correct option!!!!11

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
While I'm thinking about it, had anyone gone with a full physical damage necro (so like marrow shards, blood rip, bone curse) and had success? I got a few uniques that are statted around physical spells and I wanted to do something other than another primalist.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Magus42 posted:

Wouldn't you want to be using an ability to attack instead of a weak default attack, which would be on right click or another button?

What if I want my left click to be my most used attack and my right click to be my second most used attack? For example in Diablo, my left click is meteor and my right click is teleport. And I don't press any of the other buttons. Occasionally I middle click to force move but I by far use left and right click the most.

Are you guys actually mashing 1 on your keyboard to attack stuff and using left click only to move? That actually boggles my mind.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 5, 2023

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

bamhand posted:

What if I want my left click to be my most used attack and my right click to be my second most used attack?

Well you can't put an ability into the move slot, so you're losing nothing except the weak default attack.

With a little keybinding you can put move on whatever you want.

(` used for example only so I didn't screw up any existing binds heh)

quote:

Are you guys actually mashing 1 on your keyboard to attack stuff and using left click only to move? That actually boggles my mind.

Left click or key to move, right click to attack.

e: mouse side buttons mapped to the rest

Magus42 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 5, 2023

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Uh you can have left click map to any of your skills on top of move.

I had puncture/move on left click and detonating arrow on right click for my marksmen. That's like the ideal use case for my setup where both skills are used about equally.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 5, 2023

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

bamhand posted:

Uh you can have left click map to any of your skills on top of move.

Doesn't that fail to give you an extra ability slot? You're just mapping move and ability to the same button.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
You still have the same number of abilities? I just want move and my most commonly used button to be left click. Then my right click is my second most used button.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I can understand that you're used to it, but it is an objectively terrible control scheme.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What is a single bad thing about it? The only time it is bad is when the game does not have a force to move button. But that is very easily solvable by adding one in.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You were the one complaining about it on the boss fight. Not being able to move as melee.

Edit: Left click is the force move button.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I am complaining because the game implemented it incorrectly. Like I said it's a solved problem that the game decides not to do. Left click to move/attack and a separate button to force move is not some weird ask.

A correct implementation would be allowing the player to have one button be attack move and one button to be force move.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 5, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

While I'm thinking about it, had anyone gone with a full physical damage necro (so like marrow shards, blood rip, bone curse) and had success? I got a few uniques that are statted around physical spells and I wanted to do something other than another primalist.

I took a real hard look at it on my lich but ended up not going that way just due to a lack of other skill synergies with physical damage. There's a really good combo with transplant, bone curse, and rip blood that you can use, but I had a tough time deciding what other skills to use there, and ended up settling on like a necrotic dot build.

Edit: You could maybe do some cool stuff with sacrifice there. Bone curse or passives can get you skelly vanguards and transplant has a passive that summons guys, and since sacrifice is physical you could use that as like a burst effect with the crazy chain explosions. You could also spec into volatile zombies with the sacrifice node, as volatile zombies has the cool health or ward recovery on death thing that's a pretty good survivability thing. I think the biggest difficulty might be mana management there, but I'm sure there's a way to make it work.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 5, 2023

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
There is a marrow shard lich build on maxroll. It's not a Necro though.

Their Necro build spams bone nova on a golem. Is that a physical skill?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

bamhand posted:

There is a marrow shard lich build on maxroll. It's not a Necro though.

Their Necro build spams bone nova on a golem. Is that a physical skill?

Oh, acolyte rather. I'm work posting and still have d2 on the brain.

Bone nova would only scale of minion stats anyway.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Any lich build will make it across the finish line just from reaper form and death seal being super strong. Physical is also one of the main damage types for acolyte so you have a lot of options.

Marrow shards (with bone spinter nodes), rip blood (with blood splatters), transplant, and sacrifice all work well as crit builds. You'd want to focus on just one ability though and support it with transplant and bone curse probably.

Bone curse on its own is bugged/exploitable right now due to the cursed limbs node procing the one hit falloff, guaranteed crit node with no cooldown. Ignoring the bug, it's still good with the infinite duration and cursed limbs nodes.

Harvest can be converted to physical but it's just ok. Soul feast can also be converted but no clue if you could get it to do anything besides stack armor with the poison consume nodes, which is what it's usually used for.

Transplant is probably the best option for applying bleed.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

DeathSandwich posted:

Bone splinter physical lich is extremely powerful. Enemies just evaporate and you are very tanky.

https://maxroll.gg/last-epoch/build-guides/marrow-shards-lich-guide

I'm doing something similar to this. I play with a controller so I didn't take the node that lets you pick how far the marrow shards goes and instead decreased its range further.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 6, 2023

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
One tip with Lagon is his hit box is the top of his head. It makes no sense but targeted abilities worked better when I aimed there

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Is the campaign finished yet?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

No, right now there's still 9 out of 12 chapters available. There is a content update coming on May 25 which might add more but the teaser trailer looks more like a new dungeon of some kind.

My necrotic lich hit 100 last week and I haven't really played much since, but I gave my fire nova sorc another try and got into monoliths really easy with all the various ignite/dot uniques and set rings. I don't think it will continue scaling well enough for empowered monoliths but there's enough other good sorc builds that switching to something else shouldn't be a problem. Casting 3x fire novas every time I teleport is really nice, and each nova hit does like 7-9 ignite stacks. Currently using volcanic orb for bosses since it multihits so fast and stacks a shitload of ignites per cast but the cooldown and mana cost can be annoying if I try to use it against rares or high hp trash while clearing. Mana in general feels kinda annoying for a lot of builds in this game while others get to completely ignore it, or intentionally run out of mana for crazy damage multipliers, etc.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
First reward from farming for Aaron's Will? Aaron's Will! Now just need to get my ignite lich to 75 to use it.

Sadly no LP though

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The pre-patch teaser today was for a new item rarity that is basically a unique that gains additional affixes as you get experience while they are equipped. There is still quite a bit of RNG with them but if they aren't stupidly rare and don't take a crazy amount of experience to level the affixes I could see them being pretty cool.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Seems like a very slow way to find out that you got a useless trash unique.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Agreed. It would have to decent enough to be worth using at first and then not too overpowered once I guess it's fully leveled

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/rising-flames-update-beta-0-9-1-patch-notes/58988/2

Pretty big update. I'm glad they're reworking Chapter 1; it's pretty dull as it is.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

nerds posted:

The quest for Mastery selection now occurs after completing Chapter 2 rather than Chapter 3.

Added the ability to link items in chat with Ctrl + Right Click

:krad:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 23, 2023

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

quote:

There is now an AFK timer in Online mode. You will be warned about being AFK at 5 minutes (10 minutes in Town zones), and kicked at 10 minutes (15 minutes in Town zones).

MMOing like it's 1999. Why does this need to be a thing on a paid game?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Why would it being a paid game matter? Active users still consume resources.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PoE doesn't boot you out for idling. 10 minutes is pretty harsh.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
poe is a big game, last epoch averages like 1000 players so far, outside the big patch peaks

it's not like you lose a lot of time, the 2-3 loading screens between login screen and you murdering maps aren't *that* long

e: also, you need to have poe running in the background for a week to sell good niche items for fair amounts of money so

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Truga posted:

poe is a big game, last epoch averages like 1000 players so far, outside the big patch peaks

it's not like you lose a lot of time, the 2-3 loading screens between login screen and you murdering maps aren't *that* long

e: also, you need to have poe running in the background for a week to sell good niche items for fair amounts of money so

One thing that amazed me was the difference in the market between peak and offpeak times. I sometimes have decent items for sale, but because I can only jump on for an hour or two in the middle of the night in america, none of my poo poo ever sells.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I was working on a dumb ignite dot smite judgement build that benefited greatly from the Hands of Judgement bug for clear speed, which was already so-so relative to its single target, so I’m kinda salty about that patch note.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Picked this up a while ago and wasn't impressed, tried to give it another shot recently and haven't been able to put it down. A large part of that is probably because I'm doing a Warpath Sentinel instead of a Beam Wizard.

I recently got my hands on a pretty nice Volcanus with 57% Increased Fire Damage. However, I also happen to have an Exalted axe that managed to roll a whopping 237% Increased Fire Damage. I’ve read about making Legendary Items by throwing stuff in the Time Fridge and, by my guess, if I tried to mix these two items together, there are three possible outcomes:

• The 237% replaces the 57%.
  • The 237% is added to the 57% (either directly or as a separate affix).
  • The 57% cannot be replaced and the 237% is lost, even if I have enough Legendary Potential to guarantee it getting picked.

Nice drops have been pretty hard to come by, so I’m pretty anxious about potentially blowing up my few valuable rolls for no benefit. Does anyone happen to know how something like this would shake out so I don’t have to gamble and find out on my own?

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Well you won't be able to combine the exalted axe with Volcanus because Volcanus is a sword. But when you make a legendary item it just adds in the new affixes as extra lines on the item. It doesn't interact with existing affixes at all.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Your unique also needs to have Legendary Potential to combine it with an exalted item. The number of LP is how many affixes from the exalted will be added to the unique. But there’s no restrictions on the affixes being added (ie you can stack two affixes of the same kind this way if the unique has one and the exalted one gets chosen when you combine them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Kith posted:

Picked this up a while ago and wasn't impressed, tried to give it another shot recently and haven't been able to put it down. A large part of that is probably because I'm doing a Warpath Sentinel instead of a Beam Wizard.

I recently got my hands on a pretty nice Volcanus with 57% Increased Fire Damage. However, I also happen to have an Exalted axe that managed to roll a whopping 237% Increased Fire Damage. I’ve read about making Legendary Items by throwing stuff in the Time Fridge and, by my guess, if I tried to mix these two items together, there are three possible outcomes:

• The 237% replaces the 57%.
  • The 237% is added to the 57% (either directly or as a separate affix).
  • The 57% cannot be replaced and the 237% is lost, even if I have enough Legendary Potential to guarantee it getting picked.

Nice drops have been pretty hard to come by, so I’m pretty anxious about potentially blowing up my few valuable rolls for no benefit. Does anyone happen to know how something like this would shake out so I don’t have to gamble and find out on my own?

Yeah so expanding on what above poster said, Legendary items work like this:

Put a Unique with legendary potential and an exalted item with 4 unsealed affixes of the same type (i.e. body armor -> body armor, axe -> axe. Look at the grey text under the name of the item) in the masher at the end of Temporal Sanctum. The maximum level of the Unique you can put in is based on the difficulty of the sanctum.

The Exalted item will be destroyed, and X of its unsealed affixes will appear as new affixes on the now Legendary item, where X was the legendary potential of the Unique. So if you have an LP1 Unique, you'll get (randomly) one of the affixes on the Exalted item, the other 3 are gone forever.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 26, 2023