Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Uh oh, she's going to use that to upgrade to the Greatsword of Artorias

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Where are they? And what is that bell?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

There Bias Two posted:

Unknown, stay tuned

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

There Bias Two posted:

somewhere cool

something cool

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Love how in the place of the leystone or key or manifested third eye everyone else has in their forehead this dude has a gigantic boil lmao

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My brain first clicked with Musō Tensei with the alt-text and the proper name of Maya's sword, but I think the line from Stalker fits better:

quote:

When a tree is growing, it's tender and pliant. But when it's dry and hard, it dies. Hardness and strength are death's companions. Pliancy and weakness are expressions of the freshness of being.

Because what has hardened will never win.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Magnus Manfist posted:

Love how in the place of the leystone or key or manifested third eye everyone else has in their forehead this dude has a gigantic boil lmao

I bet it's a Wesley Willis style forehead callous from using his own head as a hammer. Say rawk!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

They're both going to be extremely surprised when his top half slowly slides off his bottom half and onto the floor.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
While his death would be satisfying, maybe Maya just lops off his hands and tell him to learn to forge with his feet.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Thundarr posted:

They're both going to be extremely surprised when his [and his house's] top half slowly slides off his [and his house's] bottom half and onto the floor.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

That's the bell the teacher rings when the lesson is over and school is out. Many teachers have rang it many times before for many reasons. Today Maya hopes to ring that bell after Allison learns the Maybe Sword lesson, because that means it's time for lunch.

I have no clue your question just made me think of that and I thought it was a fun idea, lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Magnus Manfist posted:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Twenty Four posted:

That's the bell the teacher rings when the lesson is over and school is out. Many teachers have rang it many times before for many reasons. Today Maya hopes to ring that bell after Allison learns the Maybe Sword lesson, because that means it's time for lunch.

My old primary (elementary) school was one of the oldest in the country (Australia so not that old) and still had a bunch of old traditions and one of them was that instead of having an electric bell it had a big heavy bell the kind where you had to pull a rope to ring it and one of the fun days was when you got to be bell monitor and and go and ring the bell that day and try to make it louder than everyone else did with a huge GONG

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
This page makes the prior page seem less rapey and more "in a lovely relationship that you know is lovely but you're so depressed and self-loathing that you think it's what you deserve and so you don't break it off."

Also, I think in the Patreon version Maya said that Manamum was "not half bad as a lover" and rather than "passing lover" - I wonder if Operant meant to say that he was a "passable lover."

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

Also, I think in the Patreon version Maya said that Manamum was "not half bad as a lover" and rather than "passing lover" - I wonder if Operant meant to say that he was a "passable lover."

When used as an adverb passing means surpassingly, greatly, or exceedingly etc.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Yadoppsi posted:

When used as an adverb passing means surpassingly, greatly, or exceedingly etc.

But it was used as an adjective.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Passing and passable are short of interchangeable in that usage

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Yeah in that context it'd be like "mediocre but not awful awful" or smth

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 6, 2023

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Its pretty clear he is not being described in flattering terms, and also that he will probably not survive the next page

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The peasant-lord dichotomy echoes a question once put to Allison by Zoss.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Good catch. Now we will see the strength of peasantry

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Someone has to teach all those royals about crops.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

This page makes the prior page seem less rapey and more "in a lovely relationship that you know is lovely but you're so depressed and self-loathing that you think it's what you deserve and so you don't break it off."

I think he's definitely supposed to read as a (coercive rather than violent) rapist. But I do think agency is important - Maya hasn't been randomly assaulted to give her motivation for revenge, she's put herself in this situation. The big villain in Maya's backstory isn't this random ogre dude, it's not even Incubus, it's Maya herself.

As meti constantly pointed out, Maya hosed a reasonably happy normal life to learn how to become a killing machine, purely because she thought it looked cool
Then she drowned hundreds of worlds in blood seeking power
Now she's putting herself through the worst degradation trying to get her hands on a sword, basically to carry on with the path of violence, which is doing so well for her so far

(None of this is remotely excusing ogre dude, who is one of the most viscerally lovely characters so far. It's that Maya's story is not "got sexually assaulted, looking for revenge" it's "irrevocably poisoned her own life with the sword, and continues to do so")

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

My old primary (elementary) school was one of the oldest in the country (Australia so not that old) and still had a bunch of old traditions and one of them was that instead of having an electric bell it had a big heavy bell the kind where you had to pull a rope to ring it and one of the fun days was when you got to be bell monitor and and go and ring the bell that day and try to make it louder than everyone else did with a huge GONG

Simple things, good memories, good times. I love stuff like that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Magnus Manfist posted:

(None of this is remotely excusing ogre dude, who is one of the most viscerally lovely characters so far. It's that Maya's story is not "got sexually assaulted, looking for revenge" it's "irrevocably poisoned her own life with the sword, and continues to do so")
:hmmyes:

Giving lovely date-rapist ogre any more importance than as a plot device, or one of Maya's many, many implements of self-flagellation, is putting far too much agency in the hands of a man who's existed for two full pages and isn't going to reach the end of the third.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Maybe the maybe sword is a weird rear end technique where you destroy a potential timeline of happiness to obliterate your enemy.

Just removing a possibility from the wheel's next turn.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

There Bias Two posted:

I think they are in that same area of shrines for mendicant knights that we saw in the scene between Maya and Monkey.

Pretty sure the bell is a bell, what makes ringing sounds, but maybe Operant has a surprise in store for us

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

when sounded, the bell makes the Fart of Aesma

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

While we're waiting on this guy to get owned I'm finally getting around to installing Tale of Two Wastelands since it's apparently NOT just "play both games on one character" and wow that's rad

I'll go get the shocksword from the call of duty dlc in Maya's honor or something idk

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Good catch. Now we will see the strength of peasantry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GpEyVZyAY8

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

M. Propagandalf posted:

My brain first clicked with Musō Tensei with the alt-text and the proper name of Maya's sword, but I think the line from Stalker fits better:

That's a quote from Tao Te Ching

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

That's a quote from Tao Te Ching

"Cheeki Breeki" - Tao Te Ching

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
get out of here samsara

Cossack
Mar 2, 2012

You see Sigmund here.
Sigmund hits you.
You die.
there's a beautiful symmetry in the fact you see a statue of aesma before cresting the slope and seeing the rest of these statues of what are, presumably, the popular depictions of the gods and the angelic prayer of forgiveness from violence, which invokes her first

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1657094571682086912

Went about as we could expect.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

rip random background worker who was at just the wrong angle to ALSO get their head chopped off

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"That's kind of a bullshit story Maya"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

rannum posted:

rip random background worker who was at just the wrong angle to ALSO get their head chopped off

Also the guy short enough to not get a haircut, but will instead get a molten iron bath in a second.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

rannum posted:

I think the one dude in the background who didn't get merked is going to be covered in molten metal shortly, since the ore smelters have also been cut open.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
A really lovely sword. Keeps getting bigger is all the Homestuck reference pile does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Holy Art of Division suggests the existence of Holy Arts of Addition, Subtraction, and Multiplication