Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nuns with Guns posted:

That's the guy who lobbies constantly to split off Wizards of the Coast into its own company because he thinks he'll get a big payday out of that happening, right? Is there anything else crazy he's done besides be some insufferable money-gambling investor type?

He's tried this with multiple companies. He generates clickbait thinkpiece for lovely websites so they love him, but he's just generic VC-bro trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Megazver posted:

They hosed up a little by doing a teasing Twitter reveal with a "tee hee Abomination Vaults is getting a videogame tee hee" instead of immediately going WE ARE MAKING AN ARPG, THIS IS NOT A CRPG, REPEAT THIS IS NOT A CRPG so people got their hopes up for a day or so.

Once you move past that, the actual game looks alright, if you're into Diablolikes. I wish them well.

no maps, no atlas tree, no buy

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Owl cat are way too into 3.5 style optimization, and also working on rogue trader, to make a pf2e game.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Toshimo posted:

He's tried this with multiple companies. He generates clickbait thinkpiece for lovely websites so they love him, but he's just generic VC-bro trash.

My point in bringing that up was not to speculate if this would be a good move or not. Nor is it to imply that Hasbro is on its deathbed. The context of that was to illustrate the point that WotC is actually very important to Hasbro and that it would miss them if they didn't exists. I think anyone who is involved in Capital assets management / VC or Private Equity is a safe bet monster but that doesn't change the fact that he has basically a quarter of a billion dollars in Hasbro stock and is trying to ghoulishly break up the company for profits so there is some value to WotC but yeah go off whatever floats your boat.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Vire posted:

My point in bringing that up was not to speculate if this would be a good move or not. Nor is it to imply that Hasbro is on its deathbed. The context of that was to illustrate the point that WotC is actually very important to Hasbro and that it would miss them if they didn't exists. I think anyone who is involved in Capital assets management / VC or Private Equity is a safe bet monster but that doesn't change the fact that he has basically a quarter of a billion dollars in Hasbro stock and is trying to ghoulishly break up the company for profits so there is some value to WotC but yeah go off whatever floats your boat.

He got nowhere taking a poke at Hasbro. Just like he got nowhere taking a poke at Daktronics. Just like his entire "activist investor" resume is a hunch of bullshit to dupe investors and get him facetime on VC social media. It's just a string if publicity stunts, and legitimizing it is stupid. It's like saying Elon had big ideas for Twitter.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Toshimo posted:

He got nowhere taking a poke at Hasbro. Just like he got nowhere taking a poke at Daktronics. Just like his entire "activist investor" resume is a hunch of bullshit to dupe investors and get him facetime on VC social media. It's just a string if publicity stunts, and legitimizing it is stupid. It's like saying Elon had big ideas for Twitter.

Elon did have big ideas for Twitter. Bring back the Nazis, eliminate any trust in identity, try to monetize accounts based on literally zero value…

They were just all bad ideas.

(An activist investor with 2.5% control failing to achieve their goals doesn’t make their proposal a bad idea - nor a good one.)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Toshimo posted:

The community notes feature is awesome but idk if elon brought it. Seeing "This person is being dishonest" with a bunch of sources clipped to a tweet is extremely funny.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Kurieg posted:

Owl cat are way too into 3.5 style optimization, and also working on rogue trader, to make a pf2e game.

I completely get the Rogue Trader thing, that game looks rad and I imagine 40k has a lot more reach than Pathfinder, but the studio preference for 3.5 Pathfinder is such a headscratcher to me. Making characters for PF2E is such a blast, and much like 4E its tighter design seems like it would make for a great video game.

I'm not really disappointed in the Pathfinder announcement (I quite like ARPGs) but I do think a PF2E game in the style of the Owlcat games or PoE/Tyranny could be really cool.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The community notes feature is awesome but idk if elon brought it. Seeing "This person is being dishonest" with a bunch of sources clipped to a tweet is extremely funny.

Community Notes grew out of Birdwatch, which started early 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yeah community notes predates Musk's takeover - it's just gotten a lot more use now that the moderation of the site has gotten much worse

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
That and it gets more attention when used against Musk because that's just funny.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DianaJonesAward/status/1654487232256831495

quote:

Anthony Joyce-Rivera is an Hispanic, two-time ENnie-nominated game designer, entertainment, and gaming military consultant, and an active-duty U.S. Army Strategist. He has self-published many adventures on the Dungeon Masters Guild and has freelanced for Wizards of the Coast, Critical Role, MCDM, Ghostfire Gaming, and other prominent companies. Anthony believes mentoring and creating opportunities for POC creators in the gaming industry is a top priority.

In October 2022, Anthony was one of the lead organizers of Big Bad Con’s POC Meet & Greet where POC writers, artists, editors, and creators met their fellow peers and gaming industry contacts, while non-POC industry attendees were invited with the specific goal of offering mentorship, publishing, or employment opportunities to the attendees of color. In January 2023 Anthony worked with Gamehole Con to provide several POC creators paid writing assignments to create Dungeons & Dragons Adventurer’s League modules to premier at Gamehole Con 2023. Additionally, in January 2023 Anthony became the Project Leader of a soon-to-be-announced TTRPG system using a multi-million dollar intellectual property, and he is ensuring the team is diverse and includes traditionally marginalized voices in prominent project roles.

https://twitter.com/DianaJonesAward/status/1654487233649340417

Tough to believe these people are "emerging designers"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

the rest seem fine? but lol at the responses anthony is getting

https://twitter.com/ComradeIshmael/status/1654590602942529538

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Gamehole Con sounds like something someone made up for a joke.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's been a trip and a half watching all the D&D social media influencer types who were hemming and hawing over something as simple as "the Pinkertons are bad actually" immediately start locking ranks around a guy who's openly proud about being an active duty US military strategist.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm honestly surprised they'd keep trying this after that "Award for Black Excellence" made everyone uncomfortable. Maybe after a few more goes at this, they'll manage to not trip into a cringe pile?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Kai Tave posted:

It's been a trip and a half watching all the D&D social media influencer types who were hemming and hawing over something as simple as "the Pinkertons are bad actually" immediately start locking ranks around a guy who's openly proud about being an active duty US military strategist.

The army is just tax funded pinkertons with better pr

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Kai Tave posted:

I mean, which one really surprised you? Like the only one I saw was Dan Fox for some reason and it doesnt surprise me at all that he'll do whatever for likey-uppies

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ominous Jazz posted:

The army is just tax funded pinkertons with better pr

Yes and no.

The Army is, from the enlisted side, usually people signing up to be enforcers of the state because that is our alternative to funding actual social programs to lift people out of poverty.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Something to keep in mind here is that the person in question, Anthony Joyce-Rivera, is not just someone who was once a struggling private peeling potatoes so he could get on the GI Bill, he's an active duty military strategist which means he's an officer and has probably been doing it for a while now, and who bills himself as a "military consultant for media and gaming properties" which is wonderfully nebulous and vague but reminds me of those US military twitch streams they were using as a recruitment vector.

Whatever else you might have to say about the conditions that drive people to enlist and how much responsibility they bear as a cog in that apparatus, this guy is more than some naive innocent victim of the system.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Yeah you can criticize Anthony and the choice to give him an award without shotgun-blasting every poor fool who signed up for four years.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, the military is very much not a ACAB situation. They prey on low income minority areas by design with recruiters and JROTC programs. The recruiter manual is not subtle about it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
No one who makes a statement like "The army is tax-funded pinkertons with better pr" has any interest in arguments which express any kind of empathy for members of the US military, it's not worth your time to engage with.

In industry news, Big Bad Con is returning to a live event in 2023. While I personally can't agree with the decision, if you're going to conventions again, this is quite possibly the best tabletop con in the US and it's absolutely worth your support when the Kickstarter goes up on June 6.

https://twitter.com/SeanNittner/status/1653477182256328704

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, the military is very much not a ACAB situation. They prey on low income minority areas by design with recruiters and JROTC programs. The recruiter manual is not subtle about it.

I don't think the people on the business end of the bayonet particularly care why any given serviceman joined the military.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't think the people on the business end of the bayonet particularly care why any given serviceman joined the military.

often times victims of the same machine, that's the entire point here.

https://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/whos-joining-military-myth-vs-fact.html

they have an entire marketing page saying "NAH UH, WE DONT PREY ON POOR MINORITIES"

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 8, 2023

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
"The military isn't ACAB because they prey on minorities" is a neat take

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
So its A-ok to decide to kill people for money, as long as I'm really loving poor first?

I mean, even ignoring political poo poo or the workings of American Empire for a second, "killing people is bad" is pretty much boilerplate for the entirety of our society regardless of locality or religion.

So the bar for empathy here is still pretty high next to all the other people who come from horrific poverty and abuse who think "killing people is wrong so I'm not going to do that."

Vets should absolutely get care and resources, as all people should. But at the end of the day they also, personally and individually, decided that killing people for money was ok. No one should forget that or ever let them forget that.

And yeah, describing the army as global pinkertons is unfortunately very apt. Sorry.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Bottom Liner posted:

Why did you share that ComradeIshmael's tweets as an example of funny comments when he is literally of the opinion that the us military is an ACAB situation and there is no appreciable difference between the average american serviceman and loving, I dunno, Cecil Rhodes, if you think that's the case?

Like what do you even believe in, I'm so confused by this post??????????

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Why did you share that ComradeIshmael's tweets as an example of funny comments when he is literally of the opinion that the us military is an ACAB situation and there is no appreciable difference between the average american serviceman and loving, I dunno, Cecil Rhodes, if you think that's the case?

Like what do you even believe in, I'm so confused by this post??????????

retweets are not endorsements dude. I literally said "lol at the responses this is getting" not "I agree 100% with this rando in the replies"

Real curious what percentage of recruits you all think murder people or do anything beyond sitting around on US shores being poor, as opposed to what the average cop does daily.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 8, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
edit: nevermind i have models to paint. carry on

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 8, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This is a stupid loving derail, but there's a legacy difference between the public organization that killed nazis and the private sector one that oppressed unions.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Kent State.

edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-union_violence_in_the_United_States

sasha_d3ath fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 8, 2023

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
acab includes the military i'm sorry that the most effective propaganda machine in the world works on you specifically i guess

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

Real curious what percentage of recruits you all think murder people or do anything beyond sitting around on US shores being poor, as opposed to what the average cop does daily.

Do you think every single cop has to have at least one confirmed kill for ACAB to be true?

e; it's also worth noting that a lot of the backlash this award and its recipient have gotten have come from RPGSEA and LatAm circles where, it turns out, the US military is not exactly seen in the most sparkling terms.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 8, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Unsurprisingly that's not on recruitment posters.

Someone might have legit (if naive) reasons for enlisting. The pinkertons are only known for one thing.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
i really don't think you have to give it to them and i think the backlash is understandable

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Boy this whole conversation seems super fraught to me. I don't think we really need to delve into why some folks aren't cool with members of the military or start dissecting questions like "are all veterans bad, or just some."

Let's stick to the game industry related conversation and take it as read that a military strategist isn't going to be universally acclaimed by gamers. OK?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

Let's stick to the game industry related conversation and take it as read that a military strategist isn't going to be universally acclaimed by gamers. OK?

The industry-related fallout of this was that a bunch of this award winner's D&D influencer peers, the same ones that were all offended at Lin Codega over her coverage of that D&D meet-and-greet WotC held for suggesting it might have been more of a clout-based PR move than some genuine show of concern for the working elfgamesman, all locked ranks around this guy and proceeded to say that everyone raising complaints against this weren't really part of the Global South or part of the industry and were all fake trolls, while vaguely hinting they might start blacklisting people. In the light of day there's been a lot of deleted tweets and a lot of half-assed "I'd like to apologize for my words which could be taken in a bad context" type apologies coming out, but it has cast a pretty stark dividing line between the people in the big club and the people who ain't in it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Unless you're CIA analyst Volko Ruhnke, but it's all too obvious why the general wargame crowd is cool with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kestral posted:

No one who makes a statement like "The army is tax-funded pinkertons with better pr" has any interest in arguments which express any kind of empathy for members of the US military, it's not worth your time to engage with.

In industry news, Big Bad Con is returning to a live event in 2023. While I personally can't agree with the decision, if you're going to conventions again, this is quite possibly the best tabletop con in the US and it's absolutely worth your support when the Kickstarter goes up on June 6.

https://twitter.com/SeanNittner/status/1653477182256328704

Holy poo poo! And it's right across the Bay from me. I guess this will be the first con I've been to since 2000