Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mr Interweb posted:

i remember watching the episode with the ozone hole and seeing it end with captain planet telling the planeteers "sorry, but even i can't fix that. it's up to all of you out there to do so" and thinking to myself "wait, how can you NOT fix it? don't you have the power of the goddamned PLANET? :argh: "

"Your powers combined". None of the rings is Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Does criticism of media kinda fall under this thread's purview?

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/1654643268641234945

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People in the 90s did not often pick up on what Starship Troopers puts out, even though it is not subtle. I remember one truly egregious review from Beth Littleford on the Craig Kilborn Daily Show that accuses the film of promoting fascism. It was a radically different cultural environment—people thought that fascism and politics generally were solved problems.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

...those sheep are cute as hell.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

...those sheep are cute as hell.

In some of the episodes, 2 of them are dating, and in the videogame dream episode the head sheep has his son over to visit :3:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I still can’t believe that Starship Troopers predated 9/11, it’s just about a perfect satirical response to American culture from then until late 2003.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

and to think they canceled SWAT Kats for it (though SWAT Kats might arguably be considered fascist copaganda)

SWAT Kats is kind of fascist in the way that basically all superhero vigilante media is, but the cops in particular are consistently depicted as incompetent assholes. I guess it does have SWAT in its name.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Beachcomber posted:

I think Rick and Morty has a lot of good episodes, but it suffers from the same thing Invader Zim does.

The fans. The ones who don't even understand what they're watching.

It's like the trekkies who think voting republican is perfectly in line with the shows morality. (Ignoring Discovery and Picard)

loving people who say they're fan of Trek in one breath, then go on about it being "woke" in the next just stagger me.

Like, what do you think the United Federation of Planets is if not the wokest wokeness that was ever woke?

Humanity achieving the best of itself does not include racism or homophobia you loving jackasses.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It hasn't been for lack of trying:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Planet_and_the_Planeteers#Film

..... but the people who developed the cartoon really really believe in the message behind it which has been a barrier against people cashing in on it since inception: they insisted that merchandising tie-ins for the show had to be made sustainably, etc etc.. They also founded the Captain Planet Foundation and the Planeteer Movement which are both still active across the globe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P60LvSitH4w

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

SWAT Kats is kind of fascist in the way that basically all superhero vigilante media is, but the cops in particular are consistently depicted as incompetent assholes. I guess it does have SWAT in its name.

From my memories and a youtube retrospective, I always gathered that the problem with the Enforcers was that they were not powerful and violent enough, and the protagonists are better at copping than the cops--"what if the cops had an air force and bombed people"

Megillah Gorilla posted:

loving people who say they're fan of Trek in one breath, then go on about it being "woke" in the next just stagger me.

Like, what do you think the United Federation of Planets is if not the wokest wokeness that was ever woke?

Humanity achieving the best of itself does not include racism or homophobia you loving jackasses.

Some guy on the main cast of TNG should have been made to wear the men's miniskirts some of the extras had, I nominate Worf

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Mr Interweb posted:

i thought it got canceled cause turner thought it was too violent?
Captain Planet started in 1990 and ended in 1996, SWAT Kats ran from 1993-1995. It's true that SWAT Kats seemed to have been canceled for reasons external to its actual ratings it sounds like, but it was less "because of Captain Planet" and more that in the mid 1990s there were various moral panics about violent media that might be aimed at children (Mortal Kombat, Doom, Beavis & Butt-Head) which led to congressional hearings and talk of government regulations. Ted Turner apparently testified in those hearings (I cannot find the actual testimony) but the gist appears to be "Turner makes non-violent positive children's programming like Captain Planet and Scooby-Doo, not that violent crap like our competitors!" and parallel to that canceled SWAT Kats, a violent show that his company was producing. So like... it's kind of like arguing that Sonic the Hedgehog is why there wasn't a sequel to Night Trap. Kind of holistically true, but not A --> B.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Mr Interweb posted:

i remember watching the episode with the ozone hole and seeing it end with captain planet telling the planeteers "sorry, but even i can't fix that. it's up to all of you out there to do so" and thinking to myself "wait, how can you NOT fix it? don't you have the power of the goddamned PLANET? :argh: "

In the amiga video game you fix the ozone layer by carrying bundles of ozone on the back of the jet to the damaged spots and then you make polar bears walk across the ozone layer like a bridge to rescue them. Thanks Captain Planet.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Woolie Wool posted:

Some guy on the main cast of TNG should have been made to wear the men's miniskirts some of the extras had, I nominate Worf

One of the episodes with the dress uniforms (possibly the first), which are basically knee-length tunics, Worf bitches about how they look too much like dresses. I think Geordi or possibly Data basically tells him to get over it and literally nobody cares what he thinks. There were actually a few times where Worf was micro-aggresively misogynistic and got called out on it.

But chuds will say it's only nutrek with the black main character that's "woke"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

From my memories and a youtube retrospective, I always gathered that the problem with the Enforcers was that they were not powerful and violent enough, and the protagonists are better at copping than the cops--"what if the cops had an air force and bombed people"

Maybe, my memory of it was that the cops always fielded massive fleets of attack helicopters, which got blown up because the cops, personified in Commander Feral, just sucked. The SWAT Kats jet was definitely better than one of the helicopters, but the Megacat City cops already had an air force that half of the countries on Earth would be envious of.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Humerus posted:

One of the episodes with the dress uniforms (possibly the first), which are basically knee-length tunics, Worf bitches about how they look too much like dresses. I think Geordi or possibly Data basically tells him to get over it and literally nobody cares what he thinks. There were actually a few times where Worf was micro-aggresively misogynistic and got called out on it.

But chuds will say it's only nutrek with the black main character that's "woke"

It’s Riker in 7x02, “Liaisons.” Riker goes so far as to say Worf looks good in it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my favourite Worf moment is when he screws up while Data is in charge of the Enterprise by uttering "Finally" to himself when he agrees to a course of action, and Data just drags him into his quarters and is like "Dude, do not publically disrespect me like that again. You can disagree with my decisions all you want, but once it's made that's what we are doing. You were never this much of an rear end when it was Picard."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMKtKNZw4Bo

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BioEnchanted posted:

I think my favourite Worf moment is when he screws up while Data is in charge of the Enterprise by uttering "Finally" to himself when he agrees to a course of action, and Data just drags him into his quarters and is like "Dude, do not publically disrespect me like that again. You can disagree with my decisions all you want, but once it's made that's what we are doing. You were never this much of an rear end when it was Picard."

Worf is very cool about it too. 'You're right, I'm sorry, won't happen again, are we still friends' 'Yes we are' :3:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not one for rewatching a lot of stuff, but it's been ages since I've watched next gen and this really makes me want to. I think I last rewatched it in college when it was reaired on Spike or whatever that "dude" network was.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'm not one for rewatching a lot of stuff, but it's been ages since I've watched next gen and this really makes me want to. I think I last rewatched it in college when it was reaired on Spike or whatever that "dude" network was.

There are a couple episodes that have aged really, really badly ("The Outcast" was the one I couldn't finish in particular, since uh hey people do try conversion therapy on trans folks irl and it doesn't work and instead ruins their lives), but I wrapped up my first 99% complete watch recently and it's overall held up very well.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

HopperUK posted:

Worf is very cool about it too. 'You're right, I'm sorry, won't happen again, are we still friends' 'Yes we are' :3:

The most unbelievable element of TNG isn't the warp drive or the forehead aliens or the replicators

It's that people in the future are actually professional adults who're able to talk issues through calmly and respectfully in a work environment

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

It's that people in the future are actually professional adults who're able to talk issues through calmly and respectfully in a work environment
This is 90% of the TNG fantasy, yes. Just watching what it's like when people can get over themselves long enough to do their jobs.

DS9 is that crossed with "positive Dad figures."

It's like Bluey in Space if every 10th episode got hijacked by a weird bigot who doesn't realize they're being bigoted.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
That's why it's called Science Fantasy.

e:fb by the subspace anomaly in the plasma coils.

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo
I demand to see a rerun of TNG with the BBC America News Chyron saying King Charles III had been coronated.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

The most unbelievable element of TNG isn't the warp drive or the forehead aliens or the replicators

I remember in the early 2000s some people on the internet complained about this because they wanted everyone to be a macho rear end in a top hat like in other shows.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It probably wouldn't have mattered because brainworm-infested weirdos will just gloss over or justify their cognitive dissonance, but it certainly didn't help that the producers were frequently racist, homophobic, and sexist.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

I remember in the early 2000s some people on the internet complained about this because they wanted everyone to be a macho rear end in a top hat like in other shows.
That was what a huge part of the show "Enterprise" was and it honestly might have worked if the producers/writers weren't visibly burnt tf out and running in place at the exact wrong time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Also that an alcoholic literally pickled himself. The message of the episode could literally not be more on the nose, but all people heard was "I'm pickle Rick".

That's subtext, but you can see the periscope.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Also that an alcoholic literally pickled himself. The message of the episode could literally not be more on the nose, but all people heard was "I'm pickle Rick".

Funniest poo poo I ever saw

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sometimes I think about all those people who crowded into McDonalds restaurants to get the meme Mulan nugget sauce, and that one video of the guy climbing up on the counter and yelling “I’m pickle Rick!” and jumping off to writhe around on the floor, and about how he later became a nazi and murdered some people.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I AM GRANDO posted:

Sometimes I think about all those people who crowded into McDonalds restaurants to get the meme Mulan nugget sauce, and that one video of the guy climbing up on the counter and yelling “I’m pickle Rick!” and jumping off to writhe around on the floor, and about how he later became a nazi and murdered some people.

I uh, didn't know about that last part. loving what?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It's important to note the full title was 'SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.'

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vandar posted:

I uh, didn't know about that last part. loving what?

there's like 5 internet twitter guys who that can apply to

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
man i wish the hieght of rick and mort sauce stupidity was a few dude spending K$s for sauce packs(because they thought they could flip them for profit) or trading their car for it.

lol what do you put on your tax for that year. "spent 10 K$s on a high risk food commodity futures, had a 99.999% lost."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Humerus posted:

There were actually a few times where Worf was micro-aggresively misogynistic and got called out on it.

There was the time on DS9 where he got wrapped up in a terrorist plot on the sex planet

(all that he did was knock the nice-resort-weather-all-the-time device offline, nobody died, but still, goddamn it Worf)

BioEnchanted posted:

Data did the same thing to his XO when he was in command on another ship in one of the episodes with Tasha Yar's Romulan daughter. Can't remember which one was first though

Phy has a new favorite as of 00:59 on May 7, 2023

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

EthanSteele posted:

In the amiga video game you fix the ozone layer by carrying bundles of ozone on the back of the jet to the damaged spots and then you make polar bears walk across the ozone layer like a bridge to rescue them. Thanks Captain Planet.

Polar bears are at the north pole, the hole was at the south, what the gently caress???

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think you're misremembering that last part.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

jazzyjay posted:

Polar bears are at the north pole, the hole was at the south, what the gently caress???

Captain Planet is really bad at his job.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I think you're misremembering that last part.

It could easily be a different guy.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A friend of mine and I were right on the verge of joining in on the Mulan mcnugget sauce lines, but at the last second we decided to go to an all you can eat sushi place instead.

Much better use of our time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I AM GRANDO posted:

Sometimes I think about all those people who crowded into McDonalds restaurants to get the meme Mulan nugget sauce, and that one video of the guy climbing up on the counter and yelling “I’m pickle Rick!” and jumping off to writhe around on the floor,

.... and then he Naruto-ran out the door

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GC5rAX0xHg
The staff behind the counter as so goddamn tired of this poo poo

I AM GRANDO posted:

and about how he later became a nazi and murdered some people.
I haven't seen any evidence of that but I'm gonna assume it's true until someone proves otherwise because gently caress that guy