Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Man how much of P5 was rushed? Because the end product was still extremely competent but sounds like they had a swerve in development at some point.

There's also the shoehorned 'uhhh assembly' in summer just so they could have the gang in school uniforms for the cutscene for the 4th palace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
"Joker, can you please take off your glasses before this cutscene starts."

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It was Portable. I didn't find the price to high for the condominium because by the end of the game I was swimming in more money then I could ever possibly spend. The only QOL I really missed is finding out which confidants were available from the town map. I definitely liked 3s story more than 5 although I still love 5. Hopefully 4 is just as fun.

4's story is pretty good I think. The game sells the small town vibe well and the whole thing mostly works, aside from the points that have come up in the thread numerous times

If you liked 3 and 5 you'll definitely enjoy 4 I'd say

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ApplesandOranges posted:

Man how much of P5 was rushed? Because the end product was still extremely competent but sounds like they had a swerve in development at some point.

There's also the shoehorned 'uhhh assembly' in summer just so they could have the gang in school uniforms for the cutscene for the 4th palace.

I'm confused as to how this was even supposed to work to begin with, why would the crew have been in Shujin uniforms in the middle of Egypt in the summer, and then they escape wearing their PT getup.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's less "rushed" and more that it seems like a lot of the anime cutscenes were delivered fairly early into a development cycle that saw a lot of later re-writes and Atlus didn't want to pay to get them re-done. Or the same studio was working on other projects and didn't have scheduling to give Atlus more even if they wanted it.

CJ posted:

"Joker, can you please take off your glasses before this cutscene starts."

"Joker taking off his glasses is basically the same as the girls dressing up in yukata, right?" :v:

I like how by Sae's palace they just completely gave up and he's just not wearing his glasses in the cutscene where they first enter and nobody acknowledges it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
We animated a heroic sacrifice for Ryuuji but decided that was a bit too dark and out of left-field so then he immediately walks in from off-screen afterwards and then everybody is a dick to him for no reason

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

We animated a heroic sacrifice for Ryuuji but decided that was a bit too dark and out of left-field so then he immediately walks in from off-screen afterwards and then everybody is a dick to him for no reason

for whatever reason this always just read as a dumb anime slapstick gag that doesn't really land to me :shobon:

Edit: like probably because it would've been more common back in like.. early 2000s anime than in the year 2016 or later. In fact, I'm almost positive that I've seen a series from like, the mid 2000s do that exact gag

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 5, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

for whatever reason this always just read as a dumb anime slapstick gag that doesn't really land to me :shobon:

Edit: like probably because it would've been more common back in like.. early 2000s anime than in the year 2016 or later. In fact, I'm almost positive that I've seen a series from like, the mid 2000s do that exact gag

It's like Chie kicking Yosuke in the nads in P4, so yeah it's like that same kind of humour (though I guess slightly meaner since Ryuji honestly did nothing to deserve it?).

I mean neither of those scenarios are really funny, but I guess I just brushed it off without really thinking about it since it just felt like standard Persona humour of dunking on the early game bro.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The reason the gag falls completely flat is that the scene is otherwise a wonderful one for Ryuji wherein he finally overcomes the physical and mental trauma inflicted on him by Kamoshida and uses his track and field abilities to literally run vertically up the side of a sinking ship to save his friends. His reward for this major character development and self-sacrifice is for the party to beat the poo poo out of him over a misunderstanding that isn't even his fault. It's not only a gag that wouldn't be funny on its own, but it is an unfunny and mean gag that ruins what was otherwise a really good scene for Ryuji.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sydin posted:

The reason the gag falls completely flat is that the scene is otherwise a wonderful one for Ryuji wherein he finally overcomes the physical and mental trauma inflicted on him by Kamoshida and uses his track and field abilities to literally run vertically up the side of a sinking ship to save his friends. His reward for this major character development and self-sacrifice is for the party to beat the poo poo out of him over a misunderstanding that isn't even his fault. It's not only a gag that wouldn't be funny on its own, but it is an unfunny and mean gag that ruins what was otherwise a really good scene for Ryuji.

Yeah for sure, it's a super dumb gag that's way out of place. I honestly dunno why it's even there other than what ApplesandOranges mentioned of the dunking on the "side kick male friend" character

I remember Junpei (P3 Spoilers) having his big meltdown about not being the leader and stuff, but I don't remember anything happening to him that was like Yosuke or Ryuji in P4/5, come to think of it

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Yeah it's incredibly tonedeaf. They couldn't just do the classic "rargh I'm so angry at you for making me worry, come here so I give you a hug" bit?

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I remember Junpei (P3 Spoilers) having his big meltdown about not being the leader and stuff, but I don't remember anything happening to him that was like Yosuke or Ryuji in P4/5, come to think of it

well "more like Stupei, Ace Defective" is a pretty devastating burn

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Junpei doesn't really get much solo dunking on other than from Yukari (and that's just teasing, which he returns). He does get Operation Babe Hunt and the hot springs scenes, but those are uh, kinda group punishments, I guess? I guess there's the surveillance tape where Mitsuru finds that no, his room hasn't been broken into, he just lives like this.

But otherwise Junpei is generally treated the best of the three.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's like Chie kicking Yosuke in the nads in P4, so yeah it's like that same kind of humour (though I guess slightly meaner since Ryuji honestly did nothing to deserve it?).

I mean neither of those scenarios are really funny, but I guess I just brushed it off without really thinking about it since it just felt like standard Persona humour of dunking on the early game bro.

The difference is that P4 can be really mean to Yosuke but it usually has a reason to be and most of the slapstick at his expense comes from him creeping on the female party members. Meanwhile P5 can be really mean to Ryuji and it's really never because he's done anything to deserve it.

Granted all of this is fixed in Strikers where the primary slapstick target becomes Zenkichi - which makes sense because the thieves don't trust this shady as hell cop with an obvious agenda - but once they actually figure out what his deal is during the first Kyoto visit and he later puts his life on the line to save them they soften up considerably, and the remaining comedy made at his expense feels more like good-natured teasing.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

ApplesandOranges posted:

He does get Operation Babe Hunt and the hot springs scenes, but those are uh, kinda group punishments, I guess?

Ah yes, the punishment of unwittingly hitting on a trans lady.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Waste of Breath posted:

Ah yes, the punishment of unwittingly hitting on a trans lady.

That's how the game frames it.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Weird Pumpkin posted:

its too mean spirited to ever work as a gag in any time period imo

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It's clearly supposed to be an anime overreaction version of 'how dare you make me worry I'm gonna yell at you while I hug you tightly', just like someone pulling a giant hammer out of nowhere and smacking someone in the sky is the anime overreaction version of 'how dare you accidentally see me naked I am so embarrassed I will yell at you'.

But I don't think that scene really called for anime overreactions.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

babypolis posted:

its too mean spirited to ever work as a gag in any time period imo

Yeah I don't disagree there at all, it's such a strange place to do it and it's a dumb and bad joke to begin with

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 6, 2023

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Sydin posted:

The difference is that P4 can be really mean to Yosuke but it usually has a reason to be and most of the slapstick at his expense comes from him creeping on the female party members. Meanwhile P5 can be really mean to Ryuji and it's really never because he's done anything to deserve it.

Granted all of this is fixed in Strikers where the primary slapstick target becomes Zenkichi - which makes sense because the thieves don't trust this shady as hell cop with an obvious agenda - but once they actually figure out what his deal is during the first Kyoto visit and he later puts his life on the line to save them they soften up considerably, and the remaining comedy made at his expense feels more like good-natured teasing.

Didn't someone post that the scenes with Yosuke wasn't really punishing him for being a creep to girls and more "ha ha look at what new embarrassing situation we've put yosuke in"? P4 never really engages with how lovely his behavior is.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think that depends on how you define "engages." He constantly gets called out for being lovely, by basically everyone who isn't Teddie or the protagonist, he just never makes an effort to address it.

Like I'm sure I've brought it up multiple times, but there's a particularly egregious scene at the culture festival where he explicitly says "this is happening against my consent and it sucks" and Chie responds "this is what being your friend is like, do you finally get it?" and he goes right back to creeping like within a day. I have no idea what that scene could possibly intend to say other than that Yosuke fully understands that he's a creep and that it is hurting his friends, but has no intention of bettering himself.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The girls signing up MC and Kanji against their will isn't cool either, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ApplesandOranges posted:

The girls signing up MC and Kanji against their will isn't cool either, though.
Yeah, that's not even one of the situations where you could even feasibly say "Well they could have stopped Yosuke and didn't" because you find out about the beauty pageant stunt at the same time the girls do, IIRC.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It was back-to-back shittiness on both sides. Teddie won the contest and added the swimsuit portion, and it was mentioned he brought the swimsuits with him that day so he planned it all along. Yukiko invited everyone to Amagi Inn then stuck the guys in the room where the murder victim used to stay. The guys walked into the bath while the girls were in it and got attacked by pails while Yosuke and Teddie wanted to hold their ground so they can sneak a peek. The girls realized it was an honest mistake and it was supposed to be bath time for the men, but never apologized for it. The guys then thought their room was haunted and decided the best move was to go into the girls' room and sleep right next to them.

It really was just a horrid section all around.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Small towns are weird

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh yeah everything in that segment sucks poo poo; it's just that one particular exchange that stuck with me because it involves Yosuke expressly acknowledging what is wrong with him and why it is bad, while everything else is just the usual "comedy" of errors.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I was going to say Naoto was the most innocent in the whole portion but I guess she never tries to actively stop it so uhhh... I guess it's Hanako???

(Also how the game treats Hanako is just weird, because they make endless fat jokes at her expense but also she's portrayed as completely confident, which is also kinda refreshing?)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hanako and Kashawagi are weird because they were deemed important enough to get character portraits, but the only thing they contribute to the game is a some lovely jokes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The "joke" with Hanako and Kashiwagi is that they are gross and undesirable women who do not know their place, which is one thing I actually recognize as lovely aughts comedy. You are absolutely better off ignoring it and just respecting Hanako for her confidence instead. Kashiwagi at least is also actually gross for trying to flirt with teenagers and being absolutely nasty to Rise.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

In a better world, P4 would've allowed you to set up Kashiwagi and Dojima together.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

amigolupus posted:

In a better world, P4 would've allowed you to set up Kashiwagi and Dojima together.

Dojima's a kinda crappy dad but he doesn't really deserve that.

(Also man, the only adult men with portraits in P4 are people who had their (ex-)partners get murdered or... Adachi, huh.)

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The "joke" with Hanako and Kashiwagi is that they are gross and undesirable women who do not know their place, which is one thing I actually recognize as lovely aughts comedy. You are absolutely better off ignoring it and just respecting Hanako for her confidence instead. Kashiwagi at least is also actually gross for trying to flirt with teenagers and being absolutely nasty to Rise.

The slimmest of credit is that, like Kanji with Yosuke, Rise absolutely does not care about Kashiwagi whatsoever.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 6, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Morooka has a portrait, and I'm pretty sure the Yasogami principal does, too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Commander Keene posted:

The P4 principal does not, no.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well Morooka isn't an eligible bachelor anyway, so I'm going to say that instead of completely blanking on him.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

There's also Daidara.

Commander Keene posted:

Maybe you're thinking of P3's principal? I think he got a portrait in P3P.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Sorry Kashiwagi gives me new outfits so who can say if she's good or bad.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Shyrka posted:

Sorry Kashiwagi gives me new outfits so who can say if she's good or bad.

I mean, so does Morooka.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I guess maybe he gets worse as the game goes because I'm just barely in and I thought Yosuke was a breath of fresh air from Junpei. I liked Ryuji too though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah that's pretty much exactly what I said about Yosuke when I started P4.

Ryuji is far and away the best of the bro characters; no shame in liking him. Though, (Persona 4 character) as far as Vulgar Boys go, Kanji is the real star.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what I said about Yosuke when I started P4.

Ryuji is far and away the best of the bro characters; no shame in liking him. Though, (Persona 4 character) as far as Vulgar Boys go, Kanji is the real star.

:yeah:

I liked Ryuji out of all the best friend SL types out there. I wonder if we will ever get fig of him IRL too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I guess maybe he gets worse as the game goes because I'm just barely in and I thought Yosuke was a breath of fresh air from Junpei. I liked Ryuji too though.

Yosuke is excellent during the game's opening story arc and then very quickly falls off a cliff.

The character assassination of Yosuke Hanumura by the coward Atlus