Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sojenus posted:

Did another big Dropzone thing, I feel like it would look better with the dots painted, but there's also literally thousands of them and I don't want to kill myself.

Holy poo poo that is sick as heeeeellll. :discourse:

Edit: loving page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I love seeing awesome dropzone stuff next to sweet dropzone terrain. It gives it such a sense of scale.

TheCondor
Oct 30, 2010
I would love to see one of those things motorized like the old Zoids toy kits

Been painting up the necron kill team. I would change a couple things if I did them again - the dirt and cracks didn't show up as well as I hoped and they could maybe use some more contrast in spots? I've been struggling to get any other teams finished so I'm still pretty happy with how they turned out

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Decided to do my partially completed captain (base colours), think I'm going to try and source some aftermarket pauldrons to replace some Dark Angels iconography. Also reckon I'm going to do orange power weapons, possibly a burning effect once I've picked up some paints for it.

I really need to do some proper basing, how is the GW texture stuff? I don't want to go crazy, just pick a terrain type to put them on.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 5, 2023

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I really need to do some proper basing, how is the GW texture stuff? I don't want to go crazy, just pick a terrain type to put them on.

GW texture is fine, but expensive. If you can get your hands on some of Vallejo's texture stuff, it's a good deal cheaper. The DIY version is spreading some thinned craft glue on the base and dip it in sand, which works just as well (unless you're looking for a crackle effect).

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Winklebottom posted:

GW texture is fine, but expensive. If you can get your hands on some of Vallejo's texture stuff, it's a good deal cheaper. The DIY version is spreading some thinned craft glue on the base and dip it in sand, which works just as well (unless you're looking for a crackle effect).

Yeah go for Vallejo's texture paints if you can find it. I'm one of the few people who prefer GW's pots over dropper bottles, however a big problem with GW's texture stuff is the pots are really bad for them in particular. You lose a lot of the paint due to it drying out and being hard to get at in the GW pot.

I really like the Vallejo stuff more, but I still end up mostly using GW's because it's so difficult to find Vallejo stuff and everyone carries GW's stuff.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the gw texture paste is scandalously expensive. if you specifically want a crackle texture there aren’t so many alternatives, but for general muddy/stony/earthy textures vallejo stuff is just as good and like 20% of the price per ml

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

A model resembling, but legally distinct from, Garnet from FFIX

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 5, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That's some of the cleanest orange and white I've ever seen.

What's your black hair recipe if you don't mind sharing?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

That's some of the cleanest orange and white I've ever seen.

What's your black hair recipe if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks! I was a dumbass and primed her black so the orange took an incredible amount of layers.

The hair is black base, then a progressively smaller highlight of Dark Reaper -> Thunderhawk Blue -> Russ Grey. Then you use a black wash (I use AP Dark Tone) to tie it all together.

I stole it from Duncan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwXQoNzMh74

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Also well done on making that club look like wood.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Making more progress on the multi-legion kill team tonight with my first attempt at painting an Iron Warrior. Real happy with how most of it came out, I could definitely see myself doing an entire force of these guys

And here he is with his buddy

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Chainclaw posted:

Yeah go for Vallejo's texture paints if you can find it. I'm one of the few people who prefer GW's pots over dropper bottles, however a big problem with GW's texture stuff is the pots are really bad for them in particular. You lose a lot of the paint due to it drying out and being hard to get at in the GW pot.

I really like the Vallejo stuff more, but I still end up mostly using GW's because it's so difficult to find Vallejo stuff and everyone carries GW's stuff.

You can also use artist acrylic texture mediums. It's not much cheaper vs vallejo (Vallejo is ~£9 per 200ml vs W&N ~£9 for 250ml) but you get them uncoloured at any art supply shop.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I'm continuing my hopeless quest of clearing out my backlog of IG stuff that I haven't used since 4th ed. These old LR Demolisher metal bits are surprisingly heavy. It's so front heavy that I added the dozer blade mostly to stop it from tipping forward constantly. :D

I was so happy with the drybrushed camo pattern that I decided to keep weathering to a minimum. Saving a lot of time was merely a happy coincidence. I might still do just a little bit of weathering down the line, but it'll do for now.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

That looks dope as gently caress. I don’t know how they are handling those insanely huge shells inside a turret of that size though.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Axetrain posted:

That looks dope as gently caress. I don’t know how they are handling those insanely huge shells inside a turret of that size though.

Thanks!

The shell size is easy to solve, you just assemble the shell directly into the barrel from sub-components. It's an 85 part process, but that's why you drill your loader. :D

Turret size is one of the main reasons I don't like Leman Russes. Demolishers just barely get away with it with the extra armor.

I scratch built a larger turret for my first Leman Russ. I never got around to converting the torsion bars for the tracks, couldn't find suitable plastic tubes back in the day. I should really get around to that, seeing as I have the tubes now.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Nice! Very panzer III vibes imo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TheCondor posted:

I would love to see one of those things motorized like the old Zoids toy kits

Been painting up the necron kill team. I would change a couple things if I did them again - the dirt and cracks didn't show up as well as I hoped and they could maybe use some more contrast in spots? I've been struggling to get any other teams finished so I'm still pretty happy with how they turned out

The models look fine, but it's the amazing glowy effect that really sells them.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Decorus posted:

I was so happy with the drybrushed camo pattern that I decided to keep weathering to a minimum. Saving a lot of time was merely a happy coincidence. I might still do just a little bit of weathering down the line, but it'll do for now.

You made the right choice. Everything had to come off the factory line at some point.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Room for improvement but I'm happy with that. Might do a little black on the very edges but could leave it there.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Quick doggos tonight. Haven't been painting much lately.

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1655041676648275968

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Painted up a Barroth. I'm quite pleased with how it came out.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 11, 2023

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Painting more black legionnaires, finally worked out a scheme for all the different materials and gribblies, chaos marines are busy models. Ps absolutely no way in hell am I even attempting to bother with GW studio scheme internal trim highlights. :fireman:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

That looks sick, are you doing something to achieve that texture on the black? Really helps it looks like actual black metal.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Painted up a Barroth. I'm quite pleased with how it came out.

Where did you get the model from?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

That looks sick, are you doing something to achieve that texture on the black? Really helps it looks like actual black metal.

If you mean the shoulder it’s probably a combination of the gloss varnish/Microsol I abused it with and weird iPhone camera nonsense making things look fuzzier, it’s not especially noticeable in real life. I don’t have my airbrush here so I’m waiting until I get back before I give it the final varnish coat. The rest of the armour has some small dings and scratches painted on with the highlight colours.

It could also be because I painted the black over the gold base, camera closeup may be showing a slightly rougher texture 🤔

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 7, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My first time doing CSM is my last time doing CSM. I still need to wash, highlight, detail, and shade

Repost but it's the same model as above

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Made some bases with Mordant Earth

Black undercoat on the left, bone on the right, which I will be continuing with. I used the hairdryer technique, that's not going to damage a model already on the base of I don't go all out on it right?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BizarroAzrael posted:

Made some bases with Mordant Earth

Black undercoat on the left, bone on the right, which I will be continuing with. I used the hairdryer technique, that's not going to damage a model already on the base of I don't go all out on it right?

Nah, hairdrier should be fine unless something crazy happens. If you are nervous about it test the haidryer on the setting you are going to be using on some spare sprue and see how warm it gets.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

chin up everything sucks posted:

Where did you get the model from?

It's from Steamforged Games' Monster Hunter World Board Game. The minis are really detailed and well put together, although some of the bigger ones do have a few gaps.

Diablos is huge

Kushala's even bigger

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 11, 2023

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I'm looking at these texture rollers a bunch of companies have come out with. Any recommendations? I want to make a bunch of scenery formy dark souls and bloodborne mini but dont want to hand lay loads of bricks. Any word on which brand is best or are they all pretty interchangeable?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lethemonster posted:

I'm looking at these texture rollers a bunch of companies have come out with. Any recommendations? I want to make a bunch of scenery formy dark souls and bloodborne mini but dont want to hand lay loads of bricks. Any word on which brand is best or are they all pretty interchangeable?

I have bunch of GreenStuffWorld ones and they work pretty well but then they came out with the Nazi roller so can no longer recommend.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

I have bunch of GreenStuffWorld ones and they work pretty well but then they came out with the Nazi roller so can no longer recommend.

I had to look this up.

https://twitter.com/greenstuffworld/status/1121707957903867907?s=20

:hitler: Oops!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

That Roller would be great if you wanted to do a Wolfenstein terrain set in Himmler's SS castle.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

IIRC its not even a little bit a viking symbol. Like that symbol (the black sun) was invented by the nazis in the 1930s and only used by nazis.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

SiKboy posted:

IIRC its not even a little bit a viking symbol. Like that symbol (the black sun) was invented by the nazis in the 1930s and only used by nazis.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zierscheibe

It's linked in the wikipedia article!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

One ethical source of cobblestones is cardboard egg carton or drink carrier, cut into squares and the corners rounded with nail clippers.

The surface reads very stone when painted.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

moths posted:

One ethical source of cobblestones is cardboard egg carton or drink carrier, cut into squares and the corners rounded with nail clippers.

The surface reads very stone when painted.

ohhh this is a very cool idea and I'm filing it away for my planned summer project of building this church thing atop a hill/cliff

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The story I heard about GSW was way less favourable. That explanation makes sense. Is this just a situation where fascists ruin everything by claiming stuff as theirs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
a little bit of both