Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Pretty much all graphic novel continuations of TV shows usually end up being complete garbage. (although somebody will probably come up with an example for a TV show I never watched).

It does give closure, I remember reading the firefly one being disappointed but it at least answers the last remaining questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
The Invader Zim comic was fantastic (although granted, Vasquez started as a cartoonist, and it was adapted later into the equally fantastic Netflix movie)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Big Mouth ends and Final Space gets an ending. Weird day.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Neeksy posted:

Nothing about what I've seen of Fired on Mars seems at all interesting to me. Am I jaded or is the premise just a big nothing?

I'll check back in with reviews when the entire season is finished.....but no. Ten minutes of an unlikable main character and unfunny bits with his ex-coworkers being pricks does not make me want to tune back in. Again....I'll see what people say after more of it has come out....but the first ten minutes sucked hard.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/IMPmurderpros/status/1648291993100124160
https://twitter.com/IMPmurderpros/status/1650752317556391936

so probably sometime in may with the merch drop hitting sooner probably.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Warbird posted:

It's ending? Geez, Netflix really loves killing off its most popular things if those things are animated.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's ending? Geez, Netflix really loves killing off its most popular things if those things are animated.

It will end after the 8th season, which is still 2 seasons away. Also there will be one more season of Human Resources.

That will make it Netflix's longest running original series when it ends.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, they announced it alongside the release date for the new season. Probably for the best, it feels like they need to start working toward something because the last seasons have been a little aimless and Human Resources was about 50/50 at best.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Pretty much all graphic novel continuations of TV shows usually end up being complete garbage. (although somebody will probably come up with an example for a TV show I never watched).

You're not wrong but I'm glad the guy gets his chance to wrap his story up. Hopefully he actually does wrap it up and doesn't get too cocky and try to launch a sequel or anything.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Netflix have been busy shooting themselves in the feet by loving with people account sharing, might as well go full auto and get a few more rounds in.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Zero One posted:

It will end after the 8th season, which is still 2 seasons away. Also there will be one more season of Human Resources.

Yeah, I don't think they cancelled it because they are cheap or anything. I heard something about it being the pet project of some billionaire's son, so it could probably go on forever if they really wanted it to.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 26, 2023

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Zero One posted:

Yeah, it has a good run. I think I'm just still pissed about Netflix killing it's animation deportment so hearing news of its last big animation project ending really opened some old wounds.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I liked the Avatar comics.

Over the Garden Wall's comics aren't terrible, but they don't really have the burden of continuing a narrative. I guess there's a lot of consequence-free comics based on episodic cartoons out there. Looney Tunes, Gumball, Nickelodeon Magazine, lots of stuff.

I guess the Transformers comics were highly regarded back in ye olden days. Right up until they got cancelled when the story was in a very dumb and extremely 90s place.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess the Transformers comics were highly regarded back in ye olden days. Right up until they got cancelled when the story was in a very dumb and extremely 90s place.

Last I checked, Transformers comics of the modern era are still pretty well regarded.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Fired On Mars looks like it's going to be pretty good. I wasn't too much into the first episode, since I found it sort of a shallow copy of the original short the series is based on. But the second episode as pretty funny / weird, with the main character getting sucked into an "internship opportunity" (read: one man cult) devoted to the needs of a "dreamspirationist" (read: professional pintrester).

It also looks like the show is doing big time jumps between episodes, since every episode seems to end with the lead getting hospitalized, and there's this big recurring image of a weird isolation tank that the main character is drawn too / wakes up inside of. So I'm expecting there'll continue to be time jumps between episodes, as the state of the Mars colony becomes weirder and more culty.

Looks like it could be a pretty decent satire tbh. And there's some nice animation for people just moving and stuff, which they didn't need to spend money on but makes everything look much nicer.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Warbird posted:

oh no. not big mouth. how awful.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I mean, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vandar posted:

Last I checked, Transformers comics of the modern era are still pretty well regarded.

The most recent stuff from IDW is usually well thought of, save by people who just didn't connect with it (which is fine) and some Very Angry Indeed that some of the robots in disguise are gay.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

IDW Transformers had a good run, but it wasn't really continuing the show, it was its own thing. Then it rebooted and never really caught the momentum the first run had.

And then IDW lost the license.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The graphic novel for Gravity Falls was pretty solid IMO.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, I don't think they cancelled it because they are cheap or anything. I heard something about it being the pet project of some billionaire's son, so it could probably go on forever if they really wanted it to.

Nick Kroll, son of billionaire Jules Kroll.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I mean, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
IDK seems kind of mean to say about a show that got not only cancelled but written off for tax reasons so the networks involved can no longer air or reference it, and the creator had to put the entire show on a file sharing site to ensure it was preserved due to WBD literally deleting the production files/work off their servers of other projects cancelled at that time.

Even if you don’t like the show, the creator being able to have some sort of access to their universe and characters is a good thing

Everything about that period of time was hosed

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 26, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It was really bad OP.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Final Space was originally supposed to air in that TBS animation block that got shitcanned, along with Close Enough, right? Lord what a cursed group of projects.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Final Space was originally supposed to air in that TBS animation block that got shitcanned, along with Close Enough, right? Lord what a cursed group of projects.

It was the only one that did manage to air in the block. Poor thing got shifted between networks and dragged through a couple of mergers before WB killed it. Yeah, crazy to think back to the TBS block. Huge plans that just came to nothing. Although "What if we did a second Adult Swim for no apparent reason" wasn't the strongest pitch.

I think it was this thread where someone laid out the Close Enough timeline. That people who had worked on Close Enough had moved on to other shows, including Victor and Valentino, which was pitched, produced, started running and I believe began working on its next batch of episodes before Close Enough was released.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah as far as I understand it, TBS was planning to set up their own smaller Adult Swim, and they had two anchor shows for the block, American Dad and a Louis CK cartoon. And when he got dropped like a rock, TBS i guess decided to kill off the entire thing, and that set off a chain reaction that just messed with a whole bunch of shows. Another show that was made for that block, Tarantula, just ended up dropped on their cable app (not even like a streaming service) with no announcement and was canned like a month later

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

The most recent stuff from IDW is usually well thought of, save by people who just didn't connect with it (which is fine) and some Very Angry Indeed that some of the robots in disguise are gay.

The robots can gently caress?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Why would anyone build a robot that can't gently caress?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warbird posted:

The robots can gently caress?

Bit of assuming romantic relationships require sex, OP.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Found the non loving robot builder. You goddamn monster.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

This is the closest thing to a thread for Bob's Burgers right? Can I just say that the show should honestly get rid of Teddy?

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Adult Swim have been streaming a full Genndy Tartakovsky block on youtube, all the best animation episodes from Primal, Dexters Lab (the banned swearing 'rude' episode, which is great) and Samurai Jack with little interview snippets in between. There's also the first episode of 'Unicorn: Warriors Eternal' in there. Holy hell is U:WE dripping in style, it's really out there. Worth tuning in.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Pachylad posted:

This is the closest thing to a thread for Bob's Burgers right? Can I just say that the show should honestly get rid of Teddy?

there is absolutely a bob's burgers thread somewhere

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

masterpine posted:

Adult Swim have been streaming a full Genndy Tartakovsky block on youtube, all the best animation episodes from Primal, Dexters Lab (the banned swearing 'rude' episode, which is great) and Samurai Jack with little interview snippets in between. There's also the first episode of 'Unicorn: Warriors Eternal' in there. Holy hell is U:WE dripping in style, it's really out there. Worth tuning in.

Yeah it really goes hard on the old Max Fleischer character style, it's great.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Some of the designs remind me of Osamu Tezuka.

Edit: or maybe Shotaro Ishinomori.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 6, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm too lazy to search for the Koth thread but these images made me do a few laugh out louds

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/139le49

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Khanstant posted:

I'm too lazy to search for the Koth thread but these images made me do a few laugh out louds

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/139le49

I really do love the overlap of anime fans and King of the Hill fans

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Emma looks like Betty Boop!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pachylad posted:

Sure you can post that here, but I disagree.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pachylad posted:

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like the villain team in Unicorn: Warriors Eternal should spend less time reanimating royal pet elephants and more time trying to recruit the Warriors E by telling them about how the bad guys offer vacation time and dental plans.