Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Cerberus911
Dec 26, 2005
Guarding the damned since '05

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what was that stupid mid aughts movie where i think will smith and jessica biel had to shoot down skynet but it was inside a super drone

Stealth, and it was with Jamie Foxx. One of the great movies of that decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Cerberus911 posted:

Stealth, and it was with Jamie Foxx. One of the great movies of that decade.

isn't Eagle Eye with shia laboof a derivative

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

stealth is the movie where a plane downloads the entire internet and listens to limp bizkit then gets hit by lightning and decides to kill all humans, or was that the one with Shia? or do I have next years summer hit to write?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RandolphCarter posted:

stealth is the movie where a plane downloads the entire internet and listens to limp bizkit then gets hit by lightning and decides to kill all humans, or was that the one with Shia? or do I have next years summer hit to write?

Incubus, not Limp Bizkit

Shia LeBeouf was in Eagle Eye with Michelle Monaghan, which was an entirely different movie more akin to (a much worse) Enemy of the State

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Hell yeah. Any good clips?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Man Musk posted:

Every day British people are braver than the Chinese Communist Party. Amazing, but expected.

https://twitter.com/PeoplesDailyapp/status/1654814516188774400

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1654806035683483649

My man Xi congratulates Charles much the same as you'd accept a bouquet from Mickey Mouse

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

stealth is the movie where a plane downloads the entire internet and listens to limp bizkit then gets hit by lightning and decides to kill all humans...

You know what? That's a fair reaction.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Incubus, not Limp Bizkit

Shia LeBeouf was in Eagle Eye with Michelle Monaghan, which was an entirely different movie more akin to (a much worse) Enemy of the State

can’t blame me for not remembering incubus

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

PhilippAchtel posted:

Hell yeah. Any good clips?

no sex in my horrible violent war film!?!??! WHAt IN THE FLIP?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I want to watch the Chinese Top Gun

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Man Musk posted:

Every day British people are braver than the Chinese Communist Party. Amazing, but expected.

It is pretty hosed up that China now bans any protest that gets too loud or blocks traffic:

quote:

For the first time, the new Policing Act gives examples of what might amount to “serious disruption to the life of the community”. These include:
significant delay to the delivery of a time-sensitive product to consumers of that product
prolonged disruption of access to any essential goods or services, such as money, food, water, energy, or fuel, among others.
New definition of disruption: What does this mean for protesters?
By definition, the aim of many protests is to draw attention to a social issue. Causing disruption is often an effective tactic to achieve this. The new wording gives the police very broad powers to decide what amounts to “serious disruption”. As a result, people are now at greater risk of being caught by the new definition and being subject to police conditions, which limits the freedom to protest.
NOISE TRIGGER
The Act also brings in a new noise trigger. There are two new situations where the police can put conditions on a protest march if it’s too noisy:
if they think the noise generated by protesters may result in “serious disruption” to the activities of an organisation in the area, or
if they think the noise generated by protesters may have a significant impact by causing harassment, intimidation, alarm or distress to people in the area.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I’ve honestly wondered how PH became the #1 suppliers of ship labour but doesn’t have any shipbuilding industry at all

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

????

Heres all this military propaganda we produce its perfectly good. But the sino military propaganda films, that should worry you

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wait the Chinese film isn't even about going to war or bombing anyone, it's just about testing aircraft?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the original top gun was not nationalistic ???

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

euphronius posted:

the original top gun was not nationalistic ???

Nothing nationalistic about killing faceless communists

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Isentropy posted:

I’ve honestly wondered how PH became the #1 suppliers of ship labour but doesn’t have any shipbuilding industry at all

What flags a ship is under has very little to do with who/where built a ship. We have a lot of seamen because Marcos Sr made labor export a national policy and it's one of the few professions that makes enough money for people to retire on.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
The Philippines exports a lot of seamen???

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mantis42 posted:

Wait the Chinese film isn't even about going to war or bombing anyone, it's just about testing aircraft?

Yes, the movie about test pilots testing experimental aircraft that contains nothing whatsoever about any potential adversary is "China's Top Gun".

I mean I don't actually read any of it so who knows but I think all "news" in the western media is just AI generated word salad already.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lol if you think China has to do something provocative to be lambasted by the media

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

yellowcar posted:

lmfao what would a "non-nationalist" Top Gun look like anyway

Crop duster pilots maintaining an extreme amount of homo-erotic sexual tension during their 2,5 hour competition to dust the most crops on a tight fuel budget and having to repeatedly fly their little planes into a tight canyon to dust the really important remote crops located therein.

Sounds like you could probably get an audience with that movie actually. People love Cessna's right?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

KomradeX posted:

Nothing nationalistic about killing faceless communists

its funny because in the game you use it to kill some of pre war america's brain trust while you do mutual aid.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Best Friends posted:

if the Chinese people just reached down, find their balls (figuratively OR literally) (#inclusion) and m*therf*cking protest, they can turn China into a liberal democracy. their long national nightmare of doubling standards of living every generation will finally end, spaghetti monster bless.

Am I misremembering, or was there not a study saying that Chinese workers are striking all the time, and people in general are protesting all the time - but just in a local way to sort out their local grievances?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

fatelvis posted:

Am I misremembering, or was there not a study saying that Chinese workers are striking all the time, and people in general are protesting all the time - but just in a local way to sort out their local grievances?

yes, and the supposedly undemocratic government involves a whole lot of voting, too

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

its funny because in the game you use it to kill some of pre war america's brain trust while you do mutual aid.

What game is this

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Fate: Stay/Night

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Man Musk posted:

Wow man musk comes out in support for Chinese intervention in European affairs. thank you man musk, I agree that the CPC should lend its wisdom to the world and guide the governance of other countries

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

PhilippAchtel posted:

My man Xi congratulates Charles much the same as you'd accept a bouquet from Mickey Mouse

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

yellowcar posted:

lmfao what would a "non-nationalist" Top Gun look like anyway

World military games but in planes not tanks. Just a bunch of countries engaging in some friendly competition, big grill party afterwards.

Oglethorpe posted:

what if,

now hear me out,

communist democracy

China is more democratic than any western country you care to name. In the west you can change the party in charge but not the policies, in China you can change the policies but not the party in charge (although there is more than one).

fatelvis posted:

It's a British law.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

PhilippAchtel posted:

serious leftwing politics guys will find a pic of xi and bibi shaking hands and act like they've blown open the fake communist conspiracy

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Weka posted:

China is more democratic than any western country you care to name. In the west you can change the party in charge but not the policies, in China you can change the policies but not the party in charge (although there is more than one).

a key feature of muh authoritarianism is respecting the rights of poor chinese who refuse to sell their land at any price

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it is safe to ignore the person who wanders in here every six months to stir poo poo with the most lukewarm efforts the world has ever seen

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

no sex in my horrible violent war film!?!??! WHAt IN THE FLIP?

Wasn't top gun Suck magazines film of the year

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

fatelvis posted:

around the time of the covid protests I remember people saying that there was literally 400+ protests last year that were like that.

crepeface has issued a correction as of 09:53 on May 7, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

Fallout 3 had some really good ideas that were hampered by Bethesda being at the helm

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

KomradeX posted:

Fallout 3 had some really good ideas that were hampered by Bethesda being at the helm

yeah, if only fromsoftware had made it. Then the entire game wouldn't run on PC and we would get political treatises on it.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

crepeface posted:

around the time of the cover protests I remember people saying that there was literally 400+ protests last year that were like that.

The study they're talking about estimated at peak there were 10,000 protests a year, although the number is supposed to have declined significantly since then and they were pretty clear it was a guesstimate.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

R. Guyovich posted:

it is safe to ignore the person who wanders in here every six months to stir poo poo with the most lukewarm efforts the world has ever seen
but what if he says something horrifically racist again, though

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

fatelvis posted:

Chinese people protest a hell of a lot more than people in the US and most (all? maybe France is the exception) capitalist countries and they also have the expectation that their protest will have effect and lead to change. Simultaneously they know there are some things, like say CPC rule, that you don’t protest against for fear of having your life ruined.

That’s been my experience talking with Chinese people studying here anyway. Whenever they learn about some of the seedy underside the Dutch economy runs on (such as massive exploitation of Eastern European migrant workers) they are baffled and ask why they don’t just protest and change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
speaking of freedom of protest just lmao @ the UK coronation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbDAcV_pEt8