Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
twitter died ages ago; it's dead

you wouldn't say a company was still going strong just because its abandoned office buildings house a group of squatters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Twitter was supposed to blow up by now. There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom, where is the earth shattering kaboom?

All those web experts who predicted a license would run out, or some critical service would cause a domino effect and Twitter would never come back - smh. Just smh at you

Some said it would happen in 2 weeks even, it’s been like 6 months now. I don’t know if I can trust the SA Forums anymore

it's a rocket loaded with so much methane it might as well be a nuke whose self-destruct protocol failed and now it's just sailing around doing whatever the gently caress it wants

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Twitter?! MOre like SHITTER!!!! :elon::elon::elon:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
There was a lot of speculation about there being some giant fundamental collapse, but in the end it's seeming way more like Twitter's demise will be more because of how bad a platform it turned into in such a short amount of time. It really is amazing how fast the stereotype of blue checks was created and manages to be true in every single big post on the site now.

It would be very funny if the site completely broke like that time Tumblr let you edit html or whatever (I'm not a program person so I don't know the specifics of that) but the reality is just gonna be a lot of people quiet quitting like Facebook.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

In all seriousness, the service is still functional in many ways but doesn't do everything it once did. And I'm just talking technically.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

twitter ruined humanity

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

If you're still on Twitter apparently there are some REALLY REALLY REALLY bad videos going around now that staying around way longer than they should and also going viral. If you can't resist the bad website at least make sure autoplay is off

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sankis posted:

If you're still on Twitter apparently there are some REALLY REALLY REALLY bad videos going around now that staying around way longer than they should and also going viral. If you can't resist the bad website at least make sure autoplay is off

Look, I think we've all been exposed to the coronation ceremony by this point

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Momomo posted:

It would be very funny if the site completely broke like that time Tumblr let you edit html or whatever (I'm not a program person so I don't know the specifics of that) but the reality is just gonna be a lot of people quiet quitting like Facebook.

Yeah, that's pretty much what is happening. At this point I imagine people just logged out and forgot about it, and most companies I see today don't even bother listing a 'follow us on Twitter' but instead point to an online presence they can manage. There's no real grand explosion, just a lot of people realizing that it's over and most companies just not renewing or bothering to follow through with payment or such and letting things expire. Especially if Musk is trying to extort people by taking away their usernames. All that means is that companies will just put out a blanket 'we do not use Twitter anymore' and move on with life.

No. 6 posted:

In all seriousness, the service is still functional in many ways but doesn't do everything it once did. And I'm just talking technically.

And it won't get better, either. Everybody is pretty much going to leave one way or another.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Captain Hygiene posted:

just because it's so awful: Its a video of sick fucks putting a cat in a blender

seriously even just reading about it has me hosed up

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Sankis posted:

I don't want to explore this but can you be more specific? Gore? CP? Hate speech? What do you mean going viral and staying around longer than they should?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's gonna be a slow, slow death until there's a clear alternative. There's been more outages, and the blue check stuff is making a lot of the viral posts more loaded with garbage, but it's still usable. For now.

Mentioned this before, but Twitter's biggest asset is that everyone is was on it. Not just your niche, but also the President, and Amanda Bynes. For the most part, people still are.

It's gotten noticeably worse, but Bluesky is still invite only, and Mastodon is suffering from the fact that only die-hards really moved over there, and is way more complicated to understand with the server stuff. Smartest thing Bluesky is doing atm is copying the interface of Twitter almost 1:1, which will probably give it a better feel than Mastodon, which is, tbh, terribly clunky.

To be seen whether either gets enough momentum to get the President and Amanda Bynes to join.

No. 6 posted:

I don't want to explore this but can you be more specific? Gore? CP? Hate speech? What do you mean going viral and staying around longer than they should?

They're probably referring to Avatar 2 :rimshot:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

No. 6 posted:

I described it above but in this case animal abuse. It's been showing up on people's timelines because this site is broken

Staying around in that there's no one at Twitter anymore who should be deleting this poo poo and banning people

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Momomo posted:

There was a lot of speculation about there being some giant fundamental collapse, but in the end it's seeming way more like Twitter's demise will be more because of how bad a platform it turned into in such a short amount of time. It really is amazing how fast the stereotype of blue checks was created and manages to be true in every single big post on the site now.

It's appallingly bad now. A "good" social media site promotes popular material that generates engagement (for better or for worse). Now ,some dickhead with 5 followers named whitegenocide can pay 8 bucks to have his tweets bumped to the top of every viral post.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Don't make us curious.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Twitter was supposed to blow up by now. There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom, where is the earth shattering kaboom?

All those web experts who predicted a license would run out, or some critical service would cause a domino effect and Twitter would never come back - smh. Just smh at you

Some said it would happen in 2 weeks even, it’s been like 6 months now. I don’t know if I can trust the SA Forums anymore

Strong Sauce posted:

https://matthewtejo.substack.com/p/why-twitter-didnt-go-down-from-a

Here is a relatively shallow but still very technical dive on how all the servers are still up and running

TL;DR or not technical enough to want to read it: The guy solely responsible for keeping the cache servers (everything seen by a user is cached already) has basically automated everything where anything short of a extremely bad deployment will be automatically fixed.

if someone takes down a service that it determines it needs 10 instances of, the next time it checks that there's one fewer it will spin up a new instance of that service.

all the microservices, if you will, are load balanced across data centers so it is robust enough to survive on just one data center and also resilient enough to not worry when an entire data center went down. he says that only happened once during his entire tenure.

all the clusters also get monitored just like anything else.. but it has the capability to detect if any metrics that normally would page an On-call Engineer is instead just an outlier. And if it determines that it is, will just automatically reboot the server to see if that fixes it.

basically twitter won't go down unless they somehow gently caress with this.
this was already posted about on nov 21, 2022.. so which experts were you talking about? because once this was known.. most people accepted that the site would probably be very hard to take down completely, not that elon hasn't tried his hand at doing so.

more likely elon will run out of money before he causes catastrophic harm to all his data centers.

this also why all his features take so long or gently caress up the site when he deploys. he fucks it up and then just waits for the computers to fix themselves.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

admins please allow me to pay $8 a month to SA and have all my posts empty quoted for 20 posts every time thanks

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

kazil posted:

admins please allow me to pay $8 a month to SA and have all my posts empty quoted for 20 posts every time thanks

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

People were saying it was theoretically possible for the site to go down, and if it went down hard enough, it possible they could never get it back up again. Its what people were hoping for. However, most people were also saying its possible that the site will slowly die and get more and more technical issues as time goes on with nobody to fix them. This is a more long term issue, and it might take awhile but there are signs of it happening. It just won't be a dramatic explosion of the site. Twitter suddenly dying is still a possibility because Elon killed backup servers, but it'd require a freak incident to happen that requires a hard restart.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Squibbles posted:

Did he leave the forums after the crime against free speech that was banning all those pedo anime nerds or what?

Popehat has a decent number of haters on the forums and they kinda come in two flavors:

1) People who strongly believe that government should ban hate speech, which Popehat disagrees with. In their eyes that basically makes him nazi adjacent.

2) People who get really mad that he tells them what the law is instead of what they want it to be. He’ll say something like “yeah this guy is a douchenozzle but what he did isn’t illegal” and some people will turn that into “actually Popehat really likes this person”. SA forums kinda has a problem where they see almost everything as a shibboleth or dog whistle because we’re all mainlining outrage and are hooked on it.

Edit: Popehat has always been fine with private forums moderating how they see fit, so I’d doubt he got upset at SA banning a bunch of anime pedo nerds.

ryde fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 6, 2023

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

lollin

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ryde posted:

Popehat has a decent number of haters on the forums and they kinda come in two flavors:

1) People who strongly believe that government should ban hate speech, which Popehat disagrees with. In their eyes that basically makes him nazi adjacent.

2) People who get really mad that he tells them what the law is instead of what they want it to be. He’ll say something like “yeah this guy is a douchenozzle but what he did isn’t illegal” and some people will turn that into “actually Popehat really likes this person”. SA forums kinda has a problem where they see almost everything as a shibboleth or dog whistle because we’re all mainlining outrage and are hooked on it.

Edit: Popehat has always been fine with private forums moderating how they see fit, so I’d doubt he got upset at SA banning a bunch of anime pedo nerds.

Oh he’s one of those that just interjects what the law is even if it isn’t relevant?

He sounds tedious

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh he’s one of those that just interjects what the law is even if it isn’t relevant?

He sounds tedious

lol, good job

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I for one prefer goons endlessly working themselves into a lather over incorrect legal assumptions

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bbchops posted:

lol, good job

Sorry I insulted your weird posting crush.

Thankfully I guess he’s still on Twitter allowing you to clap like a seal in his wake

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Sankis posted:

just because it's so awful: Its a video of sick fucks putting a cat in a blender

seriously even just reading about it has me hosed up

Jesus Christ who do you follow on Twitter all I saw was NBA and cute dogs and goats on my feed like usual DO NOT READ THIS SPOILER (animal violence)

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

CharlestheHammer posted:

He sounds tedious

Not really. He responds when someone says that a person is definitely going to jail or losing a lawsuit to point out that they’re actually not. That’s relevant and on topic. But people don’t like it when you interrupt a circle jerk.

Like in the Musk thread people got really butt hurt when he pointed out Unsworth was unlikely to win his defamation suite against Musk (on Twitter not on the forums, but it was obviously cross posted) and assumed that he was some secret Elon stan. At least one person insisted that Lin Wood was a top tier attorney and knew better which is LOL if you remember what Lin Wood went on to do.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sorry I insulted your weird posting crush.

Thankfully I guess he’s still on Twitter allowing you to clap like a seal in his wake

Take a break and reset your brain

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

from the replies, lol

https://twitter.com/sethbobomb/status/1654906076121403393

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Limerick1914/status/1654884463694737408

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

roffles posted:

Jesus Christ who do you follow on Twitter all I saw was NBA and cute dogs and goats on my feed like usual DO NOT READ THIS SPOILER (animal violence)

Luckily I only saw someone I follow mention having seen it, not actually had it come up myself. That was enough to finally leave though.

There's loving news stories and stuff about it at this point it seems like it's been happening for days to many people.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxEcedwpAwA

Concerning.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Sankis posted:

Luckily I only saw someone I follow mention having seen it, not actually had it come up myself. That was enough to finally leave though.

There's loving news stories and stuff about it at this point it seems like it's been happening for days to many people.

In Elon's speedrun of stale memes and internet eras he has finally turned Twitter into Rotten.com

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I've worked on systems like Twitter. Twitter had good devs, probably still has a few. Good devs usually build robust systems and one of the primary things you work with is 'what happens if system X suddenly dies'. When something goes to poo poo you patch it up. Good devs/SREs can do this in hours in a lot of cases. It's not a good solution, but it means that the thing works in a degraded state. In a normal company you fix X up afterwards, address the core problem, make sure it won't happen again; that's the tricky bit that's probably not happening here. I know companies who have bumped along with services in a degraded state for a couple of years and the public wouldn't even notice, but behind the scenes urgent poo poo was happening all the time to keep afloat. Twitter is rotten inside without a bunch of investment on tech debt, we can already see the corpse bloat, it's just a matter of time until it pops, spraying users with decaying meat.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

ryde posted:

This was the same complexion of haters he had on Twitter. He’s on Mastodon now and seems happier.

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo

kazil posted:

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo

kazil posted:

To recreate Twitter more faithfully it should empty quote your posts in 5 random threads. Truly random threads anywhere and anywhen in SA so the whole site gets clogged with random garbage.

.random
May 7, 2007

Subscribers should have their posts bumped to the bottom of the thread so that everyone reads them over and over again when they jump to the last post

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ciao Wren posted:

To recreate Twitter more faithfully it should empty quote your posts in 5 random threads. Truly random threads anywhere and anywhen in SA so the whole site gets clogged with random garbage.

I bet that could be a yospos stylesheet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

.random posted:

Subscribers should have their posts bumped to the bottom of the thread so that everyone reads them over and over again when they jump to the last post

but doesnt inf scroll mean the bottom is never reachable?