Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

turn off the TV posted:

You would have to completely retcon X's setting, which I think is a pretty significant impact.

maybe, it honestly depends on what was supposed to happen when if/when the worlds re-merged (because in the ending we can clearly see Earth's normal landmasses); in that situation, we don't know if Origin was just going to plop everyone in as normal people but as if the Klaus experiment never happened, just shove everyone who was in 1/2/3's worlds on Earth as is, etc, or even how much time was going to pass leading up to or even after the merger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
Finished the DLC last night and I was pretty satisfied. I liked it quite a lot. It definitely had that 'Xeno factor' starting in chapter 5 that was somewhat missing from XC3. I do wish there were a few more character interactions, especially with Matt & A and Glimmer & Nikol but I've had similar complaints in all the games and there's always room for imagination. Basically, I wish we had had an extra hour or two with a sidequest giving a bit more XC1 and 2 fanservice and a sidequest giving a bit more development on the FR/XC3 characters.

The ending and very last shot were what I was expecting the story of 3 was going to end with and I loved it.

A few questions or thoughts I have regarding A - though I do have to rewatch some cutscenes again to help:

From my understanding A is Alvis - this was pretty easy to follow and I liked it - and she/they split off from Alpha during N's attack on the city. But it's also true that before the split Alpha was Alvis correct? I was also unclear as to why he went all Alpha mode. Is it supposed to be that when he reconnected with Logos and Pneuma in the new origin trinity processor he reverted back to full Ontos mode and basically turned into an unfeeling Skynet situation and A is his leftover 'conscience' from his days on the Bionis with Shulk and crew? Cause that was basically how I was interpreting things there.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MechaX posted:

maybe, it honestly depends on what was supposed to happen when if/when the worlds re-merged (because in the ending we can clearly see Earth's normal landmasses); in that situation, we don't know if Origin was just going to plop everyone in as normal people but as if the Klaus experiment never happened, just shove everyone who was in 1/2/3's worlds on Earth as is, etc, or even how much time was going to pass leading up to or even after the merger.

Did you see the base game's post credits scene?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Did you see the base game's post credits scene?

Yes? The worlds were recreated and separate for a bit but.. I mean, Future Redeemed shows them re-merging after whatever amount of time passed after the post credit scene

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
I suspect the merging happens pretty soon after the post-credit scene given that Noah looks happy and disappears and origin was either just about to or just had rebooted the worlds. I would think it's also possible that some of the cities and such might have been transplanted to new earth and maybe they were already there, or maybe everyone was reincarnated on new earth and it's totally different.

I guess it still wasn't quite answered what happens to the city folk, though. Will Matthew be reborn in the new world as Noah and Mio's inevitable great-grandson or did he live a pretty good life on Aionios and the universe/origin/A/God decide that he doesn't need it.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Enzer posted:

it would seem really dumb of Takahashi to heavily shove concrete Xenosaga references down the player's throat at the very end and then have the very last scene mirror the ending to Xenosaga 3 only for him to be like "Oh, wait, you thought the stories were merging? That's stupid, why would you ever think that." Dude is gonna get his story told one way or another.

I feel like these were just references to add flavor, like how Matthew's design clearly references Fei, who also had a cameo of sorts in Xenosaga 3. The radio scene was Alpha showing how a new world that he builds with city refugees could look. It had light references to Xenogears too. There's nothing to suggest that setting is the future of the series. The conduit also disappeared at the end of XB2, and it didn't act like the Zohar in Xenosaga. It would be a real mess to align all that stuff.

I'm a bit biased because I'd rather see future titles that aren't beholden to an older series that I don't particularly want to revisit.

About the ending - Shulk and Rex are revealed to be avatars who were summoned to Aionios. They returned to Origin at the end, and presumably reappear when the world is rebuilt, just like the main game protagonists. Also explains the "we'll see you again" line.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MechaX posted:

Yes? The worlds were recreated and separate for a bit but.. I mean, Future Redeemed shows them re-merging after whatever amount of time passed after the post credit scene

The post credits scene is after the worlds merged. When they separate from each other the characters are still teenagers. The whole point of the showing the clock tower is so you can see the beginning of the Endless Now and it end, and Z tells the party that as soon as it ends the worlds will overlap. That's when Origin does its thing and merges them.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

The post credits scene is after the worlds merged. When they separate from each other the characters are still teenagers. The whole point of the showing the clock tower is so you can see the beginning of the Endless Now and it end, and Z tells the party that as soon as it ends the worlds will overlap. That's when Origin does its thing and merges them.

I'm not saying you're wrong because this is all just theories right now, but honestly, this is the first time I have heard the theory that the original game post credits scene is after the world merger; Origin was never responsible for merging the worlds though; Origin was supposed to be a backup because the odds were heavily in favor of both planets either destroying themselves in the attempt and they needed a way to recreate the worlds when this happened (Z would never have been a thing otherwise; he was quite literally the manifestation of the existential dread of the planets destroying themselves in a merge attempt). The worlds merging was likely Z's "that'll never happen" possibility actually happening, no matter how astronomically low the chances were

What is unique now is that the worlds did merge and now we have a newly formed Earth and a poo poo-ton of souls (both in from the war cycle, and City people who also turned into lights to be presumably collected by Origin on death), but Origin still technically would be unaffected by design. So what is Origin going to do with all of those souls on one planet?

MechaX fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 6, 2023

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
I don't think the merging was a cosmic fluke but was more the ultimate atonement for Klaus. Either planned by him as the architect or carried out by Alvis/A

Or once Klaus died or the Zohar went away it was just inevitable and none of the characters could predict it because how could they.

Giggy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 6, 2023

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Giggy posted:

I don't think the merging was a cosmic fluke but was more the ultimate atonement for Klaus. Either planned by him as the architect or carried out by Alvis/A

And that kind of gets into how I think X is possible, albeit with some retcons; A/Alvis definitely had some memories of the old world, and Klaus's XC2 half knew that he upended countless lives pushing that button; rolling back to Earth before the button press, but still having a place for all of the lives created so far, might be the best compromise that fits with any sense of atonement if that's the case.

I am more in the cosmic fluke camp but either way works and both are consistent with the series's themes so far

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MechaX posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong because this is all just theories right now, but honestly, this is the first time I have heard the theory that the original game post credits scene is after the world merger; Origin was never responsible for merging the worlds though; Origin was supposed to be a backup because the odds were heavily in favor of both planets either destroying themselves in the attempt and they needed a way to recreate the worlds when this happened (Z would never have been a thing otherwise; he was quite literally the manifestation of the existential dread of the planets destroying themselves in a merge attempt). The worlds merging was likely Z's "that'll never happen" possibility actually happening, no matter how astronomically low the chances were

What is unique now is that the worlds did merge and now we have a newly formed Earth and a poo poo-ton of souls (both in from the war cycle, and City people who also turned into lights to be presumably collected by Origin on death), but Origin still technically would be unaffected by design. So what is Origin going to do with all of those souls on one planet?

The entire point of Origin was to "reboot the world's states" after they were destroyed during the intersection. Them safely merging on their own or surviving was never on the cards, there's a cutscene with Melia and Nia where they make it pretty clear that they expected everything to be destroyed and everyone to die once the intersection began. Origin was always intended serve as an ark that collected all of the souls of the people in both worlds, as well as information about the worlds themselves, so that they could be recreated after the intersection of worlds destroyed everything. It was never a backup option, it was the main plan.

The "that will never happen" Z is talking about is the prospect of Origin working and surviving the destruction, not the worlds merging. People weren't afraid of being reborn in a new world, they were afraid of dying and not being reborn at all. That's the fear that Z embodies, and why the solution is to just delay the intersection for as long as possible.

The ending of 3 shows Aionios being separated back into its two constituent planets so that the intersection could continue to take place, but time would have still been stopped. The FR post credits scene is showing the outcome of that process and what happens when time resumes. The two worlds continue to separate until they were at the moment where the intersection began, at which point they explode. A new planet emerges from between them, and that's where XB3's post credits scene takes place. It's why it's the exact same shot of Noah staring up into the sky without Alrest being visible.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MechaX posted:

just a thought but I don't really think there's enough souls for it to be a problem. And it's not like they all have to be reborn/restored at the same time

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

The flashback to the pre-experiment world in XB3 is supposed to be like 2050. Why would Xenosaga character that was born in like 6000 AD be alive then lol

Again, some of the dates are a bit weird with Dimitri and being a thing, but it seems like such an odd thing that Saviorite/Salvators were even a thing in 2. I admit that their would need to be some adjustments to make it work - such as Saviorites simply being an early version of Salvators and the first one was based around the Dimitri named in FR, but otherwise the month and day given in FR aligns with the 20XX timeline for both Xenoblade and Xenosaga having dug up the Zohar/Conduit - this includes a 2090-something date that would align with Klaus fiddling with it some time in the future with Saga's 2XXX date of something going wrong with an experiment using the Zohar.

It's not perfect, but it aligns enough that I can see it being Takahashi's intention, especially with things are vague and wibbly because he wasn't sure if he would be able to move forward with his story (again, see how 1 and 2 were originally connected in weird ways).

As for the rest, easy to explain that like an additional 4,000 years have passed since the worlds split, 1 shows that things kept moving in a cycle of destruction and recreation and 2 has Klaus having a slowly built up generation of evolution of Blade->-Titan->New Life->Repeat that resulted in all the different humanoid species.

Mea Tulpa posted:

I feel like these were just references to add flavor, like how Matthew's design clearly references Fei, who also had a cameo of sorts in Xenosaga 3. The radio scene was Alpha showing how a new world that he builds with city refugees could look. It had light references to Xenogears too. There's nothing to suggest that setting is the future of the series. The conduit also disappeared at the end of XB2, and it didn't act like the Zohar in Xenosaga. It would be a real mess to align all that stuff.

I'm a bit biased because I'd rather see future titles that aren't beholden to an older series that I don't particularly want to revisit.

About the ending - Shulk and Rex are revealed to be avatars who were summoned to Aionios. They returned to Origin at the end, and presumably reappear when the world is rebuilt, just like the main game protagonists. Also explains the "we'll see you again" line.

Yes, Alpha is trying to show Na'el what a "perfect" world could be, but A directly confirms that this is a recreation of a memory from Ontos from before Klaus' experiment. In fact she shows Na'el what was happening to the world while Klaus was up in space. And I'm not saying that the end of FR is the start of Saga, but rather the story of 1-3 for Blade is supposed to happen alongside the story for Saga.

I could very well be wrong, it could all be fun little nods for old fans. But the placement of it and the focus on it seems weird, the parallels to KOS-MOS falling towards an Earth that has just reappeared and the hoops Takahashi would need to jump through get Nintendo and Namco to agree for Takahashi to use the more concrete references like the Vector Industry logo (because Namco is now listed in the games credits) seems a bit much to just be fully fan-service. Takahashi isn't stupid, and I am sure the people at Namco are not stupid, they both would know perfectly well that the parallels between Saga's ending and the ending to FR would make a lot of people think the two are connected. Takahashi could have easily cleared things up by either not including that blue dot or making it something other then a colored mote and you see it is specifically Origin, but he didn't and that makes me suspicious as heck.

But again, I could be wrong, we'll find out I guess in four or six years.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

The entire point of Origin was to "reboot the world's states" after they were destroyed during the intersection. Them safely merging on their own or surviving was never on the cards, there's a cutscene with Melia and Nia where they make it pretty clear that they expected everything to be destroyed and everyone to die once the intersection began. Origin was always intended serve as an ark that collected all of the souls of the people in both worlds, as well as information about the worlds themselves, so that they could be recreated after the intersection of worlds destroyed everything. It was never a backup option, it was the main plan.

I honestly don't know how to respond to this because I agree with this and is pretty much what I was saying all along unless the hangup is what "backup" means The options were "roll the dice and let the worlds try to merge" or "origin", and given that one character flat out says that there was a minuscule chance the merger would work out, I feel like that's a backup option but I'm not really going to argue on what this word means in this context. My point of contention was origin "doing its thing" in the ending because the merger was never its thing

quote:

The "that will never happen" Z is talking about is the prospect of Origin working and surviving the destruction, not the worlds merging. People weren't afraid of being reborn in a new world, they were afraid of dying and not being reborn at all. That's the fear that Z embodies, and why the solution is to just delay the intersection for as long as possible.

It's not a matter of the worlds merely not merging (because original interpretations of the OG credits characterized what happened as a "near miss" for the worlds and they'll try again); it is a matter of the worlds being destroyed. These are not mutually exclusive issues though; Origin needed to exist because of the belief that the worlds would be destroyed when merging; plus I want to say that someone, maybe Noah, pointed out the possibility of things working out regardless and Z was adamantly against that possibility. Hell, it still works because Origin working for its ended purpose just kicks the can down the road for someone else to deal with. Melia flat out states that these worlds will always be attracted to each other

quote:

The ending of 3 shows Aionios being separated back into its two constituent planets so that the intersection could continue to take place, but time would have still been stopped. The FR post credits scene is showing the outcome of that process and what happens when time resumes. The two worlds continue to separate until they were at the moment where the intersection began, at which point they explode. A new planet emerges from between them, and that's where XB3's post credits scene takes place. It's why it's the exact same shot of Noah staring up into the sky without Alrest being visible.

I feel like this is the biggest conjecture here unless wherever young Noah was was just on the exact right spot of the planet to perfectly mirror the time and appearance of wherever he was in the former Bionis world

MechaX fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 6, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MechaX posted:

My point of contention was origin "doing its thing" in the ending because the merger was never its thing[/spoiler]

How was merging the worlds never its thing? The closest we get to an explanation as to what Origin will do is that it will "reboot the worlds' states," which might as well be meaningless, and the only thing we see happen is the worlds being combined in the end.

MechaX posted:

I feel like this is the biggest conjecture here unless wherever young Noah was was just on the exact right spot of the planet to perfectly mirror the time and appearance of wherever he was in the former Bionis world

Where else would he be? The worlds are physically beside one another the moment they separate and then explode. If he was not on a combined world then he would see Alrest in the sky and then die. I don't understand what the hangup is here.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 6, 2023

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

How was merging the worlds never its thing? The closest we get to an explanation as to what Origin will do is that it will "reboot the worlds' states," which might as well be meaningless, and the only thing we see happen is the worlds being combined in the end.

Where else would he be? The worlds are physically beside one another the moment they separate and then explode. If he was not on a combined world then he would see Alrest in the sky and then die. I don't understand what the hangup is here.

Origin's entire point and purpose was to survive the worlds merging attempt and recreating both worlds in a state before it happened (in more than one place in the game, this was explained to have been a massive annihilation event), not facilitating or correcting it. I think Nia explained this part with the entire origin metal and omni-static space stuff; origin metal was designed to survive annhiliation events which were the ill-effects of the worlds trying to combine.

And while young Noah saw Alrest right upon the precipice of the merge, it took decades for this to happen at all, let alone for the worlds to be able to get in contact with each other; I wouldn't be surprised if the planets weren't fully visible all of the time due to time/space bullshit. That's why a lot of people are not certain exactly what the time frame was for the FR scene (but rather the OG post credits takes place at some unspecified time before the FR post credits). But what we do know is that Origin was supposed to recreate stuff the moment the merge was supposed to happen, and that the Endless Now started right at or right before Origin was supposed to turn on

MechaX fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 6, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MechaX posted:

and recreating both worlds in a state before it happened.

This is never said anywhere in the game. The closest you get to an explanation is in the first cut scene of Chapter 7 where Nia says that Origin will "reboot the worlds' states." What that means is never really elaborated on at any point.

Nia does say in her post-game quest that the worlds will separate once Origin starts working correctly again, and that's what you do see happening in the game's last cutscene. But the main cast is alive and well while the worlds are separating. Mio's final diary entry is from after the worlds separated, where she's still the same character who is the same age and is forgetting what Noah looked like, so the cast of 3 are still alive and the whole resurrection as a child thing doesn't happen then.

MechaX posted:

And while young Noah saw Alrest right upon the precipice of the merge, it took decades for this to happen at all, let alone for the worlds to be able to get in contact with each other; I wouldn't be surprised if the planets weren't fully visible all of the time due to time/space bullshit. That's why a lot of people are not certain exactly what the time frame was for the FR scene (but rather the OG post credits takes place at some unspecified time before the FR post credits)

In the intro cutscene Alrest isn't visible in the sky until the clock strikes 12:00 and time stops, which is when both halves of Origin would have combined and the Endless Now began. At that point Alrest begins physically merging with the Bionis before everything fades to white, which is presumably the formation of Aionios. In Xenoblade 3's ending you see a shot of both worlds physically moving apart from one another again. This same shot is mirrored in the FR post credits scene, where you see the planets fully separate before exploding and a third planet emerging from the destruction. Z had told the party in the last fight that, as soon as time resumes, the intersection of worlds will continue and everything will be destroyed. The base game's post credits scene opens with a shot of the clock tower at 11:59, one second before the Endless Now and the intersection had begun previously. It's the exact same shot, beginning at the exact same moment, that was used to show the beginning of the Endless Now, the intersection beginning, and time stopping in the intro. However, instead, the clock strikes 12:00 and time continues, with Alrest nowhere to be seen in the sky. Noah then hears an offseer melody being played runs off towards it.

like i dunno man. i don't see any other explanation here.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MechaX posted:

How sure are you about the normal landmasses? I don't see anything obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofMYZB1UmT0&t=260s

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

This is never said anywhere in the game. The closest you get to an explanation is in the first cut scene of Chapter 7 where Nia says that Origin will "reboot the worlds' states." What that means is never really elaborated on at any point.

Nia does say in her post-game quest that the worlds will separate once Origin starts working correctly again, and that's what you do see happening in the game's last cutscene. But the main cast is alive and well while the worlds are separating. Mio's final diary entry is from after the worlds separated, where she's still the same character who is the same age and is forgetting what Noah looked like, so the cast of 3 are still alive and the whole resurrection as a child thing doesn't happen then.

"Reboot" is quite possibly the most important word here. Both worlds had to construct separate halves of Origin with their worlds' respective data, both of which had to be made with material that would survive the annihilation effect (widely speculated to be material that survived the separation of the worlds to begin with; most likely the Mechonis in the Bionis world, and Yggrasil in Alrest). Earlier in that same Ch 7 convo, Nia mentioned that the moment the worlds occupy the same physical space, they would cancel each other out and become nothing but light (everything except Origin of course). I think even the DLC brings up a line about Origin being used to revive both worlds should they be annihilated.

Why Z is even a thing at all is because Origin malfunctioned and the reboot protocol failed at the precise time the worlds overlapped to the point where the halves of Origin combined into one. There is no indication by anyone at any point in the game that Origin was meant to facilitate the fusion of the worlds, but rather that it collected the souls and data of everyone and everything and would reboot the worlds at a certain point afterwards (and Origin is explicitly able to reincarnate individuals based on the data collected). Melia even tells the party that they have the choice to halt the reconstruction process but they refuse, noting that they would have been just like Moebius.

Hell, who even besides A/Alvis even knows the full extent of what the world was like prior to the separation to have been able to design Origin with that goal in mind? Mio's diary can be explained as either not being literally as literal as her teenage self physically writing that entry, or that the perception of time was pretty wonky when Z was defeated and Origin started the reboot process again.

quote:

like i dunno man. i don't see any other explanation here.

I feel like this can still be rectified if Origin rebooted right before the time freeze/collision, but the worlds still attracting each other still happened resulting in the fusion later on

Pinterest Mom posted:

How sure are you about the normal landmasses? I don't see anything obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofMYZB1UmT0&t=260s

You can see Asia and Africa through the clouds

MechaX fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 7, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

End of XB3 has Nia and Melia say "I know some day we'll all see each other again" and it turns out that 'some day' is like 30 minutes from then. The Origin reset happens sucessfully hence the scene of the Keves gang as kids that's happening after the whole time stop moment at the beginning of the game.. And from the Future Redeemed we know the worlds combine soon after since the planets are still so close together but instead of the fusion happening from the planets colliding into eachother in a moment of mass destruction they fuse while moving apart surrounded in brilliant light so I think its clear to see that this new planet probably did not involve massive widespread death and in fact everything is probably just chill and cool.

The reason why the planets fused again is more vague but y'know it's not much of a reach to think hey maybe A inside of Origin decided to help these crazy kids out or maybe Origin was just acting on the desire of our party members to see each other again by forming a new world where that was possible.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 7, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't get what it is about XB3 that makes a bunch of people theorise about the ending in like a negative light. All the context surrounding the ending is positive and hopeful and then a bunch of losers on the internet see it and go "This is super hosed up actually!"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

End of XB3 has Nia and Melia say "I know some day we'll all see each other again" and it turns out that 'some day' is like 30 minutes from then. The Origin reset happens sucessfully hence the scene of the Keves gang as kids that's happening after the whole time stop moment at the beginning of the game.. And from the Future Redeemed we know the worlds combine soon after since the planets are still so close together but instead of the fusion happening from the planets colliding into eachother in a moment of mass destruction they fuse while moving apart surrounded in brilliant light so I think its clear to see that this new Aionis probably did not involve massive widespread death and in fact everything is probably just chill and cool.

Why do you think that's happening immediately instead of hundreds of years in the future or whatever? The two worlds are already substantially separated when we see them, and there's no indication that we're seeing things in "real time". They could be showing up thousands of years of history, greatly accelerated.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

Why do you think that's happening immediately instead of hundreds of years in the future or whatever? The two worlds are already substantially separated when we see them, and there's no indication that we're seeing things in "real time". They could be showing up thousands of years of history, greatly accelerated.

Just because the planets are still super close while moving away from each other. We know Aionis was created from the planets colliding, so the scene having the planets right next to each other but moving apart shows to me that this scene is probably happening soon after the origin reset. At the speed they're moving it wouldn't take long for the planets to be a lot further apart. I guess it could be accelarated time but i don't think it's over a super long length because the end of XB3 is everyone saying "I know we'll see each other again!". It might not actually be 30 minutes later or whatever I said but I don't think it's too long after.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Just because the planets are still super close while moving away from each other. We know Aionis was created from the planets colliding, so the scene having the planets right next to each other but moving apart shows to me that this scene is probably happening soon after the origin reset. At the speed they're moving it wouldn't take long for the planets to be a lot further apart. I guess it could be accelarated time but i don't think it's over a super long length because the end of XB3 is everyone saying "I know we'll see each other again!". It might not actually be 30 minutes later or whatever I said but I don't think it's too long after.

The planets explode the moment they fully materialize too so it's not like they were separated and just chilling in space for a while or anything.

Mio's diary makes it sound like it was a while since she forgot what Noah looks like. They might have still been operating on Endless Now time until the planets exploded or something and got remade or something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'll be honest I think Mio's last diary is a more a window into her thoughts as the reset is occuring than like a diary entry written years later about how she's forgotten Noah. We know after the reset they all forget so I think this is just her going through the process of that happening.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its all themes and poo poo I don't think Mio had enough time to get a diary entry out! You gotta use your imagination some guys.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

It's not asking too much to see a cleaner resolution after spending 100+ hours with the characters and setting. XB3 isn't a Lynchian story where the point is to come up with your own interpretation. It's a
(at times) maudlin tale that spells everything out until punting at the end.

I think Monolith has never been good at wrapping their stories up (haven't played Baten Kaitos fwiw). It's one reason why XB1 was so unusual, but the storyline has become more muddled with every installment. I still like the games a lot though, and even terrible endings wouldn't change that much.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think it's cool for a story about accepting loss and departure to end in a bittersweet note where we are left to try and understand the loss.

and also probably so Monolith can leave enough wiggle room so they can do whatever teh gently caress they want next with the setting lol even if they change their minds several times during the next game's development

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MorningMoon posted:

and also probably so Monolith can leave enough wiggle room so they can do whatever teh gently caress they want next with the setting lol even if they change their minds several times during the next game's development

:agreed:

(Although if it's anything less than an happy ending Noah and Mio happily married, the crew getting Taoin to the side and telling him propose already Eunie is into him but she's a spoon and too scared to admit it and so on and so forth the fanbase will rebel.

Lanz and Sena are leading a gym together. There's a plaque saying "thinking muscles room" for where they do paperwork)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
In my head it's perfectly cool to not get more resolution. These emotions are the goal and they rule. In my heart the Switch 2 better fuckign launch with goddammned Xenoblade X 2 and in a house in Neo New LA you can see the recently moved Mio and Noah with their kid, and yeah down the street is the Lanz & Sena gym emporium, right next to Taion and Eunie's tea shop

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I also dont think any additional resolution is required for, and it's honestly cheesy and against Takahashi's use of bitter sweetness if they do.

Monolith has set themselves up to pursue a completely new plot with slight connections to the rest of the Xeno universe, and I'm all for it.

Here's where I currently stand on the ending:

• Klaus' events take place in New Jerusalem/Earth prior to the events of Xenosaga in 20XX.
  • It is likely that Klaus' events likely happen in the same world as Xenoblade X. This may be through the creation of Mira (there are too many cliffhangers post XBX), or the narrator at the opening of XBX may be slightly unreliable. However, the mentioning of Project Exodus is too strong of a connection.
  • The disappearance of Earth in Xenosaga is directly related to Earth splitting due to Klaus, since parallel worlds have already been used to explain Xenoblade. Xenosaga's introduction of gnosis and main plot happen significantly later than this trigger event and the creation of the world of Xenosaga happens from some of the people escaping earth (likely 9th-12th ships instead)
  • There are parallels to Xenosaga's ending in the ending of XB3, but not confident on who the shooting star is. It could be Kos-mos, it could be Alma, or it could be something else. Takahashi is definitely trolling here.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just lol at the notion that there is a perfect clear explanation when every iteration of the boy and girl plus friends story has killed god and reality as well as loving with time numerous times not to mention how properly hosed the IP is.

i was suprised to see namco in the credits of FR though, dont tease me like that.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

X had some very direct references to Xenoblade 1, like the Monado, Frontier Village, Vandham and having a Telethia show up. But 8 years and two sequels later those are still just references with zero tie in to the numbered games and I really don't see why this is any different. It'd be so lame if they really did start retconning X at this point just to try to make it fit into the numbered series for no actual reason.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Just finished and enjoyed my bite-sized Xenoblade DLC. I kind wish we got more games like this.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I think Xenosaga has a real chance of crossing over with Xenoblade, but the other games will likely remain in their own universes.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

X had some very direct references to Xenoblade 1, like the Monado, Frontier Village, Vandham and having a Telethia show up. But 8 years and two sequels later those are still just references with zero tie in to the numbered games and I really don't see why this is any different. It'd be so lame if they really did start retconning X at this point just to try to make it fit into the numbered series for no actual reason.

Agreed. But I'd take that over shoehorning in Xenosaga and all the baggage that comes with it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

turn off the TV posted:

X is part of the same setting and its earth was a third timeline where nothing of Klaus, the experiment, or conduit remained after the indicent. The aliens show up to earth because of the conduit, find out it's not there, get into a fight with each other and decide to also wipe out humanity for "losing" the conduit, and then in XCX2 we'll see the denizens of Mira get folded back into the "main" reality when the conduit shows up on Mira after the events of XC1-3 and the Mira residents use the conduit to "return home" but end up going to the beginning of time and become the Samaarians. The Telethia in XCX is one of the ones that went looking for people ages ago in XC1 and ended up crossing realities (maybe due to Ontos) and reached Mira, at which point it's kept there as a beacon for the conduit to locate. :colbert:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
oh yeah

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

it's hosed up that FR will never get a direct sequel covering the Founders actually founding the second City. Stealing a giant robot and building a city inside of it is the part of that story that I actually wanted to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just saw the scene of Riku saying who his dad was and yeah that makes sense and explains everything.