Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

unicorn was very obviously a cut party member. i would have preferred they cut any of the others, instead.

:wrong:

i like all of the characters. they are all good. that's my opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm playing through Ocarina of Time Master Quest for the first time ever. Is this version of the Water Temple supposed to be easier than vanilla, or was the vanilla Water Temple not actually as difficult as we all remember from 1998? Granted I'm playing the 3DS version which at least have some QoL improvements for that dungeon...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The water temple was never hard people are just babies about switching boots

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

iirc the original water temple was too difficult so later iterations they made it easier. Like I believe in the 3ds version the camera actually shows that a passage opens when you raise the water level, but it doesn't in the original.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Aced the cotgi (case of the golden idol) dlc, good god it hit the spot :D

I def like it better than obra dinn. Identifying people based on environmental clues is cool, but cotgi (case of the golden idol) does that AND offers extra goodfeels by asking you to properly untangle a complex web of intrigue

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

The guildhest where you have to kill 5 mobs simultaneously is the loving worst. Every single time there is one goddam idiot who just doesn't get how it works ugh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

AlphaKeny1 posted:

iirc the original water temple was too difficult so later iterations they made it easier. Like I believe in the 3ds version the camera actually shows that a passage opens when you raise the water level, but it doesn't in the original.

the camera always showed it, but they made it a bit more obvious in the 3ds version I think

That's the only really hard part of water temple. It's never obvious where the critical path is, but the dungeon just isn't that large and bumbling around aimlessly will pretty much always make progress because you ultimately have to go into every room sooner or later. So the hard part is the one room where it's kind of tricky to notice it even exists

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Regy Rusty posted:

I just completed Octopath Traveler 2 and I know a million people have said it already but I cannot believe how much better this is than the first one. They absolutely nailed everything I could have wanted out of a game like this. The final boss was an utter spectacle with an extremely cool gimmick I've never seen in any other game.

It's one for the ages regy

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm loving Octopath 2 after three chapter 1s, but I know it's going to trigger my choice paralysis hard later on. Can someone reassure me that it doesn't really matter what order you do the stories in? (I'm planning to beeline to find every character then to go with the flow after that).

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

stev posted:

I'm loving Octopath 2 after three chapter 1s, but I know it's going to trigger my choice paralysis hard later on. Can someone reassure me that it doesn't really matter what order you do the stories in? (I'm planning to beeline to find every character then to go with the flow after that).

It doesn't matter at all. Play however you want, you can't really miss out on anything

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

fridge corn posted:

It doesn't matter at all. Play however you want, you can't really miss out on anything

Thanks! Googling it just gave me spoilery looking articles claiming to have an optimal play order.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

stev posted:

It doesn't matter in the slightest whatsoever. I just did things geographically and by level.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I just grabbed all 8 characters and then did what I felt like from there.

There are also no missables so you’re free to just explore and do stories as they catch your interest.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Does Octopath 2 have the characters join together like Live a Live eventually? IIRC I heard the first game didn't and that was one of my favorite moments of LAL. Will still play 2 either way eventually cause it looks pretty great.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mr E posted:

Does Octopath 2 have the characters join together like Live a Live eventually? IIRC I heard the first game didn't and that was one of my favorite moments of LAL. Will still play 2 either way eventually cause it looks pretty great.

Yes! And it's loving awesome!

Spoilers for mechanics of the final boss: They actually incorporate all 8 characters in combat by having them in two separate parties you control simultaneously and can switch between at will, determining which four characters act per turn and which party of four gets attacked. It's really cool and there's some nasty debuffs at play too so you have to plan your switches carefully

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 6, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Mr E posted:

Yeah, you generally have all the characters present for the majority of the game. Each characters story is only semi self contained, unlike completely self contained as in live a live

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
over the past couple of days I played through portrait of ruin, it's still good.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
New Case of the Golden Idol DLC v good

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
thru first two chapters. taking my time with time second scene was real good and really hurt my head but so satisfying to solve. looked at third scene and was even more baffled. gonna come back to it tonight.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

The 789th kobolds are amazing :3:

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Rarity posted:

FF14:

Incredible, outstanding, amazing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Draga posted:

:hmmyes:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Draga posted:

:hai:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Feel so bad for these little guys :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr E posted:

The first game had it, too, at the end, but didn't do a very good job of selling the idea that these 8 people were traveling together and becoming friends before then.

Octopath 2 has a similar "everything comes together at the end" finale, but also does a much better job through incidental dialogue of showing us that this group of people actually like each other and have been traveling together for a while. There are also "crossed paths" chapters where a pair of characters has their own side story, many of which also end up becoming relevant to the overarching plot.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Rarity posted:

FF14:

The only beast tribe I've done so far, and wearing the title I got from them with pride.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

Goddam it these idiot scientists keep giving me the wrong element of corrupted crystals I swear to god I can't even with these fuckers

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Looks like we got another final fantasy fan turned crystals fiend.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The Case of The Golden Idol is incredible.
I started playing it earlier today and then I kept playing it all day. Very good feelings in the old brain when you discover some minute detail that suddenly changes every preconception you have and everything suddenly falls into order, like some dude's mask could signify one thing but then you discover that, ah this painting indicates this other thing that makes the first hypothesis completely irrelevant and you just go from there.
Recommended for Poirot-heads and pont-and-click adventure game aficionados.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

wizard2 posted:

the FFXVI haters and doubters are being their normal selves, I see

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

bone emulator posted:

The Case of The Golden Idol is incredible.
I started playing it earlier today and then I kept playing it all day. Very good feelings in the old brain when you discover some minute detail that suddenly changes every preconception you have and everything suddenly falls into order, like some dude's mask could signify one thing but then you discover that, ah this painting indicates this other thing that makes the first hypothesis completely irrelevant and you just go from there.
Recommended for Poirot-heads and pont-and-click adventure game aficionados.

I'll add for anyone that thinks this game sounds neat, this game has a demo on steam that is pretty generous. I've played the demo but haven't carved out time to experience the whole thing.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The only issue with the demo is that progress doesn't carry over to the full game.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

friends i'm a terrible person.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
can I pick more than one

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You pick three! Gender optional!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I keep getting ads featuring "Natasha, the Underworld Doctor" of Honkai Star Rail

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I keep getting ads featuring "Natasha, the Underworld Doctor" of Honkai Star Rail

:same:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

there are twelve genders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

she's cool