Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Is there a wiki for this game anywhere? Just somewhere where I can look at the troop types that come with various cultures/tomes? I might be bad at googling, but I can't seem to find much of anything

also right after I posted about the outpost founding thing I clicked in whatever combination I needed to in order to found one. Is there a condition for outpost founding? Like population?

I can't get the title page to come up but this site is awesome. Everything you see there is clickable.

https://minionsart.github.io/aow4db/HTML/Search.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

LLSix posted:

Tome of the Doomherald has two very synergistic spells. Cruel weapons gives you +30% damage against enemies with low morale. Prelude of Doom, in the same book, is a strategic spell that lowers the morale of an enemy army. Together you will always have +30% damage in important fights against other wizards.

It's kind of a late game book since I assume you can't use Prelude of Doom against ancient wonder armies, but man, +30% damage is huge. Plus, low moral means the other army fumbles sometimes so they do less damage as well.

I picked this book up with the Chaos Tome of Revelry in the Doughboy run on the first story mission, and it was pretty great having my morale basically maxed while my opponents had no morale. Shame I didn't have any of those troops that convert fleeing enemies to your side.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Is there a wiki for this game anywhere? Just somewhere where I can look at the troop types that come with various cultures/tomes? I might be bad at googling, but I can't seem to find much of anything

In addition to the awesome db site there is an official wiki at https://aow4.paradoxwikis.com/Age_of_Wonders_4_Wiki. It's pretty good at being informative, like most of Paradox's wikis, but light on commentary, like most of Paradox's wikis. At least it's not Fandom.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 6, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Doomherald is cool, it's too bad you have to be evil for the DOOMTRENCH.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
finished the tutorial as pure evil nightgoblin necrovampires. to contrast that i played the first story mission as pure good dwarf paladins that turned into dwarf angels. currently playing as the glorious hypnotoads.

game owns so hard, i love the deep customization.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Mr. Potatoes McWhiskey seems broadly correct about early game growth being very strong but I wonder if, because he is exclusively playing against AI, he is ignoring the benefit of shadow affinity giving you so much free intel on what is going on in the map.

Also he's really down on necromancer stuff, but it seems like the way to do that is to go all in on mana buildings/improvements and not worry at all about draft (because you don't need it.) Which then makes you very rich as you do not have to pay anyone anything.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 6, 2023

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Has anyone sorted out what aesthetic changes the various minor transformations make? I've seen a few of the early ones, but getting through all of them seems a slog.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Servetus posted:

Has anyone sorted out what aesthetic changes the various minor transformations make? I've seen a few of the early ones, but getting through all of them seems a slog.

You can check them all out in the encyclopedia.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

What do people think some of the best auto-resolve factions are at the moment?

I had excellent experiences with Barbarian society and Chaos traits, certainly. The first strike bonus is straightforwardly useful, you don't need to do any setup like with the other factions, and that early Chaos boon that has a 50/50 of giving you a free unit when you win a fight lets you be very careless with the lives of your units.

I've heard that the AI is good about summoning abilities, but I haven't actually looked at an auto-battle to see whether my hero reliably deploys their elemental summon or summoning items. When I actually did fights manually, I did find that personally commanding my summons seemed to give better results.

If autoresolve is good about stuff like awakening High culture units, I'd definitely be interested in playing more complex factions, but I'm a little uncertain how well my AI will handle that stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

I hope the third leader type talked about in the DLC1 page isn't just like "dragon", but more like "ancient creature" or whatever. I want a beholder or a big worm lol

blood fountain, get all dominions on it

did mission 3, didn't play aggressively enough I think. Took until turn 160something. I let the AI get too built up and I had to chew through like 40 stacks of dudes from the last two factions.

I was thinking that a spell like gift of reason would be very funny, find a big monster and promote it to hero. Limited item selection obviously, maybe it can use accessories and nothing else, but I think the skill system would work fine.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Industrious traits and books feel kinda bad so far. “Slow to die” is not a win condition.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
got past the graphic issues with some fiddling and am now playing the GW2 Moletariat

houndmasters good

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

blood fountain, get all dominions on it

oh no, i've just realized the most important direction for the mods to go now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Helion posted:

Industrious traits and books feel kinda bad so far. “Slow to die” is not a win condition.

You do generally want to pick books that give you things you can't already do. So industrious gives you a bunch of extremely tough stuff and draft, so you should pick books that give you striking capability. The air book should give you zephyr archers for example which come with long range AOE bombardment capability and that's still in materium, but you will want to open one of the other affinities if only so you can pick the empire development things for it.

Also their units aren't just slow to die, their playstyle is about goading the enemy into attacking them, getting buffs from it, and doing more damage in return. All their melee units get an extra retaliation, their halberds do automatic damage reflection to anything that attacks them, and their basic shield dudes have the taunt ability which allows them to essentially pull enemy units out of the fight by forcing them to attack the shield unit, which at the start of the game is very tough and later in the game is very expendable (and still quite tough)

You can use their cultural units to control where and what the enemy can do, which should allow you to follow up with basically any other type of unit you want to pursue. And you can also use their steelshapers to flip "having taken a bunch of damage" into healing and strength buffs, so you can switch from defence to offence with the same unit.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 7, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Impermanent posted:

oh no, i've just realized the most important direction for the mods to go now

I'd pay lots of money for an AoW4 Dominions expansion. They just need to work out a deal with the developer.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Splicer posted:

In age of wonders 1 (and 2?) one site would often give multiple items. IIRC there was a points budget and each item had a points value and you got items up to or just over the points budget.

Seems that could make a comeback.
I just got two items out of a monster den so it looks like this is already a thing that can happen!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

avoraciopoctules posted:

What do people think some of the best auto-resolve factions are at the moment?

I had excellent experiences with Barbarian society and Chaos traits, certainly. The first strike bonus is straightforwardly useful, you don't need to do any setup like with the other factions, and that early Chaos boon that has a 50/50 of giving you a free unit when you win a fight lets you be very careless with the lives of your units.

I've heard that the AI is good about summoning abilities, but I haven't actually looked at an auto-battle to see whether my hero reliably deploys their elemental summon or summoning items. When I actually did fights manually, I did find that personally commanding my summons seemed to give better results.

If autoresolve is good about stuff like awakening High culture units, I'd definitely be interested in playing more complex factions, but I'm a little uncertain how well my AI will handle that stuff.

The biggest traps I've come across while spectating AI controlled heroes is loading them down with abilities. It seems like they'll gladly use pointless abilities or throw away big AoEs against single targets, so if the only active skill they have is a summon, they become much more reliable in auto resolve.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish there were more buildings that increased the output of province improvements.

One thing I didn't like about AoW3's city development was that it was very samey, 4 is much better in that regard but I still wish you could, like, have a city that can really boost its foresters because it's built in a giant forest.

There are some of the special improvements that do that and a couple of empire development picks but it would be nice if there were more choices in how to develop the city itself.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

the biggest thing with autos for me is that if you let the auto resolve and watch it after the fact, it isn't always the same battle being replayed

the funniest was when I wanted to see how the AI used my hero and like 5 T1 units to kill an army of T2s and T3s with no losses and my hero only losing 50% hp

when I watched the replay, my hero was used to tank the T2s and T3s, died in a couple turns, and my army barely won with like 2 units left

then the replay ended and it was back to "yup, no losses here, just 50% hp off the hero!"

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

one hero above your hero limit costs 30 gpt, next to nothing and will pay for it's upkeep extremely fast, plus leveling up sooner

I haven't checked or done the math on more heroes and cities (or outpost spam for that matter), there may be correct situations for all of them, but I don't feel like playing optimal man yet, I'll look at it later

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Hey I just wanted to pop in and ask how this game is looking stability wise? I've been having some issues with my PC lately and am being pickier about buying new stuff with uncertain stability provenance.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Underground adaptation is not really that good. I am having trouble finding the initial free city of my race. I suspect is behind some diggable walls or even in a different cavern with a different entrance. And digging is super risky because you unleash monsters (at least on hard) that can lead to losses in the early game. Early game tempo suffers a lot because of this. Not sure if the added real estate is worth it because you are severely limited by imperium in the amount of cities you reasonably can control anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

metasynthetic posted:

Hey I just wanted to pop in and ask how this game is looking stability wise? I've been having some issues with my PC lately and am being pickier about buying new stuff with uncertain stability provenance.

I haven't had any issues, and the only performance issue is underground lava tiles seem to tank my performance but everything else runs fine on my old computer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hryme posted:

Underground adaptation is not really that good. I am having trouble finding the initial free city of my race. I suspect is behind some diggable walls or even in a different cavern with a different entrance. And digging is super risky because you unleash monsters (at least on hard) that can lead to losses in the early game. Early game tempo suffers a lot because of this. Not sure if the added real estate is worth it because you are severely limited by imperium in the amount of cities you reasonably can control anyway.

The underground is generally more enclosed and has hard barriers, so it's more... different than the surface which doesn't have either of those. Consider also that everyone who isn't underground adapted will struggle to build or move in there so you do have a fairly good home field advantage there. It's basically banking on being hard to observe or attack by surface dwellers and having more constricted terrain for them to approach from, but on the other hand you have a bit less space to expand into yourself, so swings and roundabouts.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Game is good af

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Helion posted:

Industrious has pretty good buildings and probably the strongest overall economy (prospecting is very good). Arbalests are absolute top-tier T1s that hold their utility even into the lategame. Halberdiers can also punch well outside their weight class. In general their units are fantastic stack-fillers; they give boosts to other units, are forgiving to mistakes, and don't need any special synergies to function at their best. Their cultural spells are very good too (a heal plus bolstering on non-industrious units are both amazing, and steelfury chant is a fun little trick to pull out towards the end of a grindy battle to push your damage over the top). Put all that together and you have a great culture for when you're attempting some dumbfuck plan that shouldn't work, but maybe it will actually because your fallback is just to have a lot of quality units. You're like Barbarian, except that you peak a little later for much longer.

That said, anyone who played AOW3 MP could tell you that "slow to die" can absolutely be a win condition. I'm not 100% sure that going industrial culture plus a bunch of materium tomes is an optimal strategy, but getting those defense stats to 10+ can count for a hell of a lot. Just making a poo poo-ton of really hard to kill dudes that keep coming in wave after wave from the factories is a reasonable option.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tempora Mutantur posted:

the biggest thing with autos for me is that if you let the auto resolve and watch it after the fact, it isn't always the same battle being replayed

the funniest was when I wanted to see how the AI used my hero and like 5 T1 units to kill an army of T2s and T3s with no losses and my hero only losing 50% hp

when I watched the replay, my hero was used to tank the T2s and T3s, died in a couple turns, and my army barely won with like 2 units left

then the replay ended and it was back to "yup, no losses here, just 50% hp off the hero!"
Heroes get resurgence in auto battles (well, it's a toggle, but it's on by default) and the AI is smart enough to know this and use your hero as a damage soak.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
There is an arcane spell to reflect 50% of damage done to shield units, right?

Could probably use this with some industry units.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 7, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

orangelex44 posted:

That said, anyone who played AOW3 MP could tell you that "slow to die" can absolutely be a win condition. I'm not 100% sure that going industrial culture plus a bunch of materium tomes is an optimal strategy, but getting those defense stats to 10+ can count for a hell of a lot. Just making a poo poo-ton of really hard to kill dudes that keep coming in wave after wave from the factories is a reasonable option.

I played materium industrial with two defensive traits and they were absurdly ridiculously tough

I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread but I had multiple elite/champion/legend T1 units from the beginning of the game

plus the econ was extremely strong

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

metasynthetic posted:

I'm 4 maps in and haven't crashed once

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

man things have gotten incredibly laggy when doing anything city related and I'm not sure why, everything was running silky before

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Third World Reagan posted:

There is an arcane spell to reflect 50% of damage done to shield units, right?

Could probably use this with some industry units.

Funnily this already is a thing for their polearm units so presumably if you cast it then they would get... 90% damage reflection in melee? In addition to their retaliations lmao.

Shame it's only non-physical damage because that would be very funny, there aren't that many non physical melee units.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

victrix posted:

I played materium industrial with two defensive traits and they were absurdly ridiculously tough

I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread but I had multiple elite/champion/legend T1 units from the beginning of the game

plus the econ was extremely strong

I want to try them with divine beacon because I feel like you could just spam shield units and form a big blob around the beacon and then just... wait?

Or shield + a mix of crossbows and supports, make a real tercio.

On a related note, I do enjoy how loving... weird the holy units are. Oh yeah that's my flying skull fish that mind controls people. Right next to the multi armed crawling altar holding a skull that shoots death rays at people.

Some loving bloodborne-rear end gods these people are worshipping.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 7, 2023

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

OwlFancier posted:

Funnily this already is a thing for their polearm units so presumably if you cast it then they would get... 90% damage reflection in melee? In addition to their retaliations lmao.

Shame it's only non-physical damage because that would be very funny, there aren't that many non physical melee units.

yah that would be neat

I have never really used that spell but as it reads, it should work against ranged magic casters

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Third World Reagan posted:

yah that would be neat

I have never really used that spell but as it reads, it should work against ranged magic casters

As written yes but the polearm rune of retaliation only works against melee attackers so it would be more expanding their capability than reinforcing it. It does work on all damage at least though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think I'm getting a pretty good handle on tomes and their synergy, but I'm still pretty lost on city development. It seems very reliant on memorization of all the weird little prerequisites; I don't feel like you can organically build a city in a direction just by picking buildings/improvements of that type, because you run into weird curve balls like "oh yeah the fishing guild suddenly turns your city which has 8 fisheries and produces basically nothing but food into an omni-productive super factory".

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

metasynthetic posted:

crashed a bit at first, fine after i updated my video drivers.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Bouquet posted:

Is there any way to access unit abilities when there are too many to fit the standard UI frame? Feels bad when you realize that equipping that wand of magic missile means you can no longer access overchannel.

If you've got more abilities than fit on the bar, it literally scrolls left and right with the mouse wheel. I had the same concern but eventually just figured it out.

YorexTheMad posted:

Free cities question:

Mission 3, you can siege and vassalize the free cities. Some I was able to give Whispering Stones to, and others I couldn't and was told their relations were locked while my influence with them was decreasing. I couldn't tell in the UI what was blocking some free cities from taking Whispering Stones. Any ideas?

There's some scripting weirdness with the story missions. For that one, you're supposed to be locked in war with everyone all the time, so any starting free cities will be stuck at war with you and can't be given whispering stones, seemingly even after vassalizing them through force. Other free cities generated, for example remainder cities after defeating another player, don't seem to have this limitation. It's kind of wonky.

Servetus posted:

Seconding checking out the encyclopedia, but some of the notable ones I saw were that leafkin gives your guys hooves for like a satyr look, rock kin gives you rocky bits. Supergrowth makes your guys bigger, or just normal size if they're hobbits, but that varies by form, so like frogs just get wider lol. The small guys one that I can't remember the name of makes your guys shorter, but doesn't reduce arm length as much so they look like really lanky short guys, unfortunately doesn't seem to change the size of warbreeds, although they do benefit from the effect.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

man things have gotten incredibly laggy when doing anything city related and I'm not sure why, everything was running silky before

If you have any mods installed, try verifying integrity of the game files,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

No. Prospecting remains a horror show. However i think if a scouts on a viable prospecting province it glows orange when the scout's selected so there's that.

IMO it should just work like Mystics, weird pickups only Industrialists can see. Or it should be like bonus resources from clearing Iron/Gold sites.

Even if there were good UI for it, it feels like it would still be a chore. I want my next game to be Materium focused, but will pick a different culture. I would like the bonus to be a completely different mechanic.