Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

I absolutely hate the movie Hannibal.

I just finished the first book. The Hannibal TV series was too over-the-top for me, and I wanted to check out the source material. The series was just so... cartoonishly improbable. Oh yes, I'm sure that overnight the killer created an art installation that would have taken a team of grad students a week of install time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

lord funk posted:

I just finished the first book. The Hannibal TV series was too over-the-top for me, and I wanted to check out the source material. The series was just so... cartoonishly improbable. Oh yes, I'm sure that overnight the killer created an art installation that would have taken a team of grad students a week of install time.

Didn't you know? Being a serial killer gives you superpowers. Also, every night is 8 hours longer.

That's one for me, people sneaking out of their house some time around 11pm, doing a whole lot of poo poo on the other side of town, then sneaking into bed at 3:30.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I didn't mind the campiness and surreality of the TV show, it never tried to present itself as true crime adjacent so I was happy to play along with the idea of the killers essentially being Batman villains that just really love murdering.

Frankly I'd put up with a lot of silliness to watch Mads play Hannibal, he was brilliant in that role.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Hannibal was a bad movie, for sure, but didn't the book end with Clarice falling in love with Hannibal and joining him on people eating adventures? I kinda think that would be worse

Speaking of killers, I just saw the latest Scream movie. There's at least a dozen times where one of the victims gets the drop on Ghostface and then, inexplicably, refuses to press their advantage. Like, motherfucker, he's on the ground with a serious TBI from the brick you hit him with, just keep Robert Deniro kicking him! I know its a horror movie thing and borders on tactical realism tough-guy-on-a-couch poo poo but i feel like if some masked lunatic was trying to gut my friends and I was able to brain him with a heavy wooden block I would simply not stop hitting him with the heavy wooden block.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Hannibal: The Movie has that scene where Ray Liotta eats his own brain, and that’s pretty hosed up.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Hannibal was a bad movie, for sure, but didn't the book end with Clarice falling in love with Hannibal and joining him on people eating adventures? I kinda think that would be worse

Speaking of killers, I just saw the latest Scream movie. There's at least a dozen times where one of the victims gets the drop on Ghostface and then, inexplicably, refuses to press their advantage. Like, motherfucker, he's on the ground with a serious TBI from the brick you hit him with, just keep Robert Deniro kicking him! I know its a horror movie thing and borders on tactical realism tough-guy-on-a-couch poo poo but i feel like if some masked lunatic was trying to gut my friends and I was able to brain him with a heavy wooden block I would simply not stop hitting him with the heavy wooden block.

The book doesn't say specifically that she falls for him, but she does run off with him. I mean, the alternative for her is:

Going back to the FBI, who was going to fire her because of a botched raid in the start of the book, and because Krendler set her up, and because her boss/mentor was dying/dead and every other dude in the area wanted her out.

Go back home and face arrest for the poo poo that happened at the Verger farm.

And that's about it. In the book she's realized that the FBI has it out for her, she has no support there anymore, and they'll have no issue throwing her away if not sending her to prison. She has proof Krendler set this poo poo up, but no one cares. She has her roommate friend, but her other FBI friends/support were killed in that botched raid. At that point, it makes sense for her to stick with Hannibal. Nor is she a clear prisoner. I mean poo poo, with the options left open to her, running off to live another life with wealth sounds pretty loving nice.

In relation to Scream, that was one amazing part of Silence: when Starling has Gumb down, she keeps shooting. No snappy one-liners, she just keeps firing until the gun is empty, and she tried to reload still. make sure the fucker is dead!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Cowslips Warren posted:

In relation to Scream, that was one amazing part of Silence: when Starling has Gumb down, she keeps shooting. No snappy one-liners, she just keeps firing until the gun is empty, and she tried to reload still. make sure the fucker is dead!
I want everyone to remember this next time a police bodycam vid comes out and they're dumping a full magazine out of their guns at a suspect. Even though we've got a decent history regarding how bullets work on living tissue, there's enough variables that no 2 people act the same getting shot.

Now before people think I'm simpimg for cops, I do believe their methods leading up to the point of deploying a firearm needs to be scrutinized. What cops believe is "justifiable" means for using lethal force is :chloe:.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Seriously. With all the talk of 'rules' by now they should know that wearing the mask makes those fuckers drat near immortal. Bash their heads in.

And take off the drat mask so if they do get up and run away again at least you'll know who you are dealing with. So you don't spend all your time running away from people that honestly aren't that physically intimidating.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Seriously. With all the talk of 'rules' by now they should know that wearing the mask makes those fuckers drat near immortal. Bash their heads in.

And take off the drat mask so if they do get up and run away again at least you'll know who you are dealing with. So you don't spend all your time running away from people that honestly aren't that physically intimidating.

taking off the mask is step 1 to putting it on yourself and becoming a dangerously competent horror monster

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Remulak posted:

The cop coming by was intentional and getting frank to flip was the point. Roth was a slippery motherfucker.

No.

Nobody there expected the cop to wander by. It was pretty much the point of the entire scene to add that unexpected element of tension and show how the whole thing got botched and out of control. It also led directly to Frank flipping for the feds and being put in protective custody. He wasn't supposed to live and Danny also wasn't supposed to deliver that line.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Yes

The one honest cop shows up exactly at the right time? I remember this being implied if not explicit.

Also the movie leaves out the best line in the first book. “Of course we won’t sell drugs to kids they don’t have any loving money”.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Remulak posted:

Yes

The one honest cop shows up exactly at the right time? I remember this being implied if not explicit.

Agree to disagree then.

I never read the policeman showing up as anything other than an unexpected thing for anyone involved in the whole scene. Everyone in the scene seems freaked out. If it was planned by ROth, at least one person there would have been expecting it. No?

The bartender seemed caught off guard and so did all of the assassins. Everyone there seems surprised and uncomfortable with The Badge suddenly showing up. And if Roth planted the cops, then why did the whole thing degenerate into a loving shootout/bloodbath on the streets with mobsters shooting cops and vice versa, where no one knows who the gently caress makes it out of there alive or not arrested? If Roth set it up, then he knew where the meeting was. So why leave the bartender in the dark? He would have told him to take a piss or something to put fewer eyeballs on the crime.

This "plan" is probably not the best way to secure the one witness you want to make it out alive, assuming that's your plan at all, while also making sure you kill a bunch of cops along the way, because that wouldn't bring heat or anything. A dead cop, a body bleeding out in the bar and a lot of wild gunfire in the street. Super smooth.

here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPlpGprpFuY

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 01:11 on May 8, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Heh, One Piece of all things has one early fight end with Usopp having a much stronger and extremely dangerous opponent on the ground and then literally just keeps hitting him with a hammer (USOPP HAMMER!) until he stops trying to get up.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

I want everyone to remember this next time a police bodycam vid comes out and they're dumping a full magazine out of their guns at a suspect. Even though we've got a decent history regarding how bullets work on living tissue, there's enough variables that no 2 people act the same getting shot.

Now before people think I'm simpimg for cops, I do believe their methods leading up to the point of deploying a firearm needs to be scrutinized. What cops believe is "justifiable" means for using lethal force is :chloe:.

I'm going to state that an FBI agent shooting a serial killer that we know is skinning women, and has a live one in a pit, and has a loving basement full of human skin garments, with a body in the bathtub, is a bit different than police shooting an unarmed dude or black kid with his hands in the loving air.

IIMM: I hate, loving hate, when movie directors/producers get non voice actors to voice in animated movies. New animated Transformers movie comes out next year, featuring the voices of loving Thor and the Black Widow. WHY. You don't cast voice actors WHY?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How do you explain Keith David? He's an actor that also does voice acting

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Keith David has done lots of voice acting work.

Granted it may all just be with the one voice, but it's a great voice.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

How do you explain Keith David? He's an actor that also does voice acting

He is a screen actor and a voice actor, those are two different things and he can pull off both.

This is in contrast to a screen actor that is hired to be a voice actor and is not qualified to do so.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FFT posted:

but it's a great voice.

It's amazing how many actors have terrible voices. Beauty and charisma, yes. Screen presence, yes.

But just lovely voices.

Chris Hemsworth is a great example. So very pretty, but his Thor voice is so terrible it makes me want to scream.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's amazing how many actors have terrible voices. Beauty and charisma, yes. Screen presence, yes.

But just lovely voices.

Chris Hemsworth is a great example. So very pretty, but his Thor voice is so terrible it makes me want to scream.

Because he speaks in standard fantasy British accent? I don't see anything wrong with his voice per se. It just doesn't sound anything like what I've imagined Thor to sound like.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm going to state that an FBI agent shooting a serial killer that we know is skinning women, and has a live one in a pit, and has a loving basement full of human skin garments, with a body in the bathtub, is a bit different than police shooting an unarmed dude or black kid with his hands in the loving air.

IIMM: I hate, loving hate, when movie directors/producers get non voice actors to voice in animated movies. New animated Transformers movie comes out next year, featuring the voices of loving Thor and the Black Widow. WHY. You don't cast voice actors WHY?

Because they want the names on the posters if they can't have the faces and cartoons are dumb kiddy poo poo no one would care about otherwise, is the producers and directors thinking.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Scarlett Johannsson isn't exactly an incredible voice actress but she sure as hell qualifies as a voice actress of note. She's been in piles of animated films for years and at least has the experience.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

credburn posted:

Because he speaks in standard fantasy British accent? I don't see anything wrong with his voice per se. It just doesn't sound anything like what I've imagined Thor to sound like.

It's very much a fake voice. So fake, he can't emote with it worth a drat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

He is a screen actor and a voice actor, those are two different things and he can pull off both.

This is in contrast to a screen actor that is hired to be a voice actor and is not qualified to do so.

Looks like Hemsworth has a small handful of roles hes done voicework for and everyone has to start somewhere. Seems a bit rude to say he can never do voice acting because he's an actor

Fake edit: most of those are Thor so I'm not sure if he even recorded for them or they just used sound clips

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm still kinda surprised they actually got a voice actor, the one for Dewey Duck no less, to voice Sonic the Hedgehog. I suppose they quite correctly figured Jim Carrey is star power enough.

Random thought: Is he absolutely invoking Robbie Rotten for Robotnik? Or was Robbie just invoking Jim Carrey in the first place?

vvv: He also voices the guy in the cafe who likes Mario's look and does the jump!

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 10:43 on May 8, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

They had the actual Mario voice actor do the voice for Mario's dad, and if you didn't know that going in you would never have noticed.

It didn't even add anything to the character except in a

broexplaining.jpg

way

and while I wasn't wearing sunglasses at the time, I absolutely explained this to my girlfriend when we went to see it

stringless has a new favorite as of 10:46 on May 8, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

TGG posted:

Scarlett Johannsson isn't exactly an incredible voice actress but she sure as hell qualifies as a voice actress of note. She's been in piles of animated films for years and at least has the experience.

First thing I thought of was the movie "Her", which I guess sort of qualifies.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm still kinda surprised they actually got a voice actor, the one for Dewey Duck no less, to voice Sonic the Hedgehog. I suppose they quite correctly figured Jim Carrey is star power enough.

Random thought: Is he absolutely invoking Robbie Rotten for Robotnik? Or was Robbie just invoking Jim Carrey in the first place?

vvv: He also voices the guy in the cafe who likes Mario's look and does the jump!

Wasn't Ben Schwartz the voice of Sonic?

EDIT: Never mind, I had no idea how much voice work he's done.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Len posted:

Looks like Hemsworth has a small handful of roles hes done voicework for and everyone has to start somewhere. Seems a bit rude to say he can never do voice acting because he's an actor

Fake edit: most of those are Thor so I'm not sure if he even recorded for them or they just used sound clips

I can't speak to Hemsworth's voice talent, but there's a striking difference between a voice actor that has started somewhere and worked their way up and someone who's only does screen acting suddenly being put into a headlining voice role.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I can't speak to Hemsworth's voice talent, but there's a striking difference between a voice actor that has started somewhere and worked their way up and someone who's only does screen acting suddenly being put into a headlining voice role.
Yeah, who's James Earl Jones anyway?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

An exception is obviously made for actors who have amazing speaking voices.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

FFT posted:

Yeah, who's James Earl Jones anyway?

I mean, yeah sometimes you get people who knock it out of the park first try. That doesn't mean it absolves them from being questioned the first time they're cast in a voice role.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

At least this is the IIMM thread so there's not really a better place to post about not wanting an actor to ever try something different

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
God drat you Michael Ironside, you needed to earn Darkseid.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Len posted:

At least this is the IIMM thread so there's not really a better place to post about not wanting an actor to ever try something different

Heavens forbid we get another Uncut Gems or something similar

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Heavens forbid we get another Uncut GemsPunch Drunk Love or something similar

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Renfield 2023. Why hasn't Cage been playing every Dracula for the last 30 years? He is the perfect Dracula, and all those other actors have been wasting our time.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
It annoys me when people say Cage is a bad actor. He's a fuckin phenom, you plebs. It's the movies he's in that are dumb. Imagine how much fuckin worse every movie he's ever been in would have been if he weren't in it.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

credburn posted:

It annoys me when people say Cage is a bad actor. He's a fuckin phenom, you plebs. It's the movies he's in that are dumb. Imagine how much fuckin worse every movie he's ever been in would have been if he weren't in it.

He’s in a ton of movies but if the movie is no good it’s not his fault

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Cage has elevated every movie he's been in since Moonstruck. The man is an absolute delight to watch, just about no matter what he's doing.

Just imagine something hokey and dumb like the National Treasure series with anyone else except maybe someone like Mummy-era Brendan Frasier. It'd be the worst, dumbest thing you've ever watched instead of fairly passable stupid fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
His performance was also great in the "Colour out of Space" movie.