Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

big black turnout posted:

The idea that botw is widely disliked is... insane. You can say it's bad, certainly most of the most popular game series are "bad". But people don't buy them in droves because they dislike them

I've barely seen anyone dislike it outside of bad posters in bad SA threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Metacritic user reviews is the last bastion for internet console warrior slapfights, literally every game gets a bunch of 0 scores from fans of other consoles and 10 scores with posts that are like "ignore the microsoft fanboy 0 ratings, this is the greatest game ever made, looking forward to finally playing it next week!" They're fun to read but not useful

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still playing Ghostwire Tokyo, which I almost love, but I am getting a bit bored of it now after 15 hours and I'm only on chapter 4 of 6. The problem isn't the gameplay, world, or anything really - there's just too much of it and not all of the content is the best it can deliver. Some of this stuff is great, some of it is just there and taking up space and time.

Basically what I think they should've done was go back over it and mercilessly cut out the bottom 30-50% of stuff in here in all departments. Don't have 20 good sidequests and 30 boring ones, just have 20 good sidequests so I don't wear myself out by picking boring ones by mistake. Get rid of or combine the upgrades that don't immediately feel good to use. Cut the size of the map in half because as is, I am very aware of the re-used rooms and layouts that I find and that isn't a good thing. Don't ask me to find 50 statues to incrementally raise a stat, make me find like 3 to raise it in chuinks, and weave it into the sidequests.

I like pretty much everything about this game except for the stretching.

Less is more, y'know? I think this could apply to a lot of larger scale games. Cut aggressively towards the end of development. Total hours played isn't a selling point because everybody knows anywhere from 50-80% of those hours are going to be repetitions.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I've taken a week of PTO just to lay there and do absolutely nothing before, not even video games, it's amazing.

My unpopular video game opinion is that games should have no more than 100 hours of content unless it's something deliberately designed to be replayed. I have so many games where I've gotten right to the end but then never finished them because there's too much extra optional tedious repetitive poo poo to do and I get bored of trying to complete it all. And no, not getting 100% completion before finishing a game is not an option.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Apparently Ghostwire Tokyo had denuvo added a year after release. That's just weird.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

itry posted:

Apparently Ghostwire Tokyo had denuvo added a year after release. That's just weird.

i guess it's to protect the DLC but it doesn't sound like anything people would be that desperate to pirate

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

run on sentience posted:

And no, not getting 100% completion before finishing a game is not an option.

This right here is your problem, friend. There are no games worth 100%ing. Absolutely none.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

This right here is your problem, friend. There are no games worth 100%ing. Absolutely none.

You have to burn the rope?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Xcom 2

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Eh, Sekiro has very little chaff. I guess gathering all the carp scales is kind of a pain, but other than that most of the optional stuff is just cool boss fights.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

what the gently caress did I just say, nerds?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Yeah the good game are worth going for over 100%.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I’ve never heard of anyone actually liking BOTW except on this forum

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

giogadi posted:

I’ve never heard of anyone actually liking BOTW except on this forum

I'm not a huge fan of it but lol this is like saying COD is so generic clearly no one likes it. Sometimes y'all are so divorced from reality. Look at the reviews, both critics and users, and number of copies sold. The game is beloved by so many.

Now, I wonder why because it's okay at best to me, but clearly I'm in the minority.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Popular does not mean good, fuckin reality TV is popular but everyone who watches it knows that it's trash

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Deep stuff, man

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

QuarkJets posted:

Popular does not mean good, fuckin reality TV is popular but everyone who watches it knows that it's trash

lol

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
this is the only place ive seen anyone talk poo poo about botw and it's hilarious

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

People were making the claim that no one likes BotW. Not whether it was good or not. And that's objectively false. This isn't some tricky gotcha, the game sold really well, and a gently caress load of people like it. That's it.

George posted:

this is the only place ive seen anyone talk poo poo about botw and it's hilarious
In my defence if I'm playing a bideo james I need constant engagement and entertainment, so I play games with lots of constant shooting and colours, for when I play games I have the attention span of an ADHD riddled toddler. And I am okay with that!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

People were making the claim that no one likes BotW. Not whether it was good or not. And that's objectively false. This isn't some tricky gotcha, the game sold really well, and a gently caress load of people like it. That's it.

Yeah that's fine and I'm not going to argue that, I just said that it was a bad game.

Because it is

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Video games are bad.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
The newer Tomb Raider games can be completed 100% in like 30-50 hours. They are a lot of fun and it's very satisfying to find all the things. I hope they make another.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I 100%'d Sekiro because I really liked it and all it did was make me sick of Sekiro.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

You could even say it made you Sickiro.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

George posted:

Unpopular video game opinions in this thread, who would have expected such a thing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well duh, you need 103% to get the true ending

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

SCheeseman posted:

Unpopular video game opinions in this thread, who would have expected such a thing

that's what makes it fresh and funny, the expectation, everyone loves a hack which is why right wing comedy is on the up and up

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Barudak posted:

Well duh, you need 103% to get the true ending

WOW WAY TO COPY MY HILARIOUSNESS. VERY ORIGINAL, ARE YOU A GAME DEVELOPER?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
People definitely like BotW. The biggest critics are the Zelda fans who know it's not a real Zelda game. Someone here said it's a good game but a bad Zelda game and that is correct.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

People definitely like BotW. The biggest critics are the Zelda fans who know it's not a real Zelda game. Someone here said it's a good game but a bad Zelda game and that is correct.

I just think its bad, no qualifiers needed but I also played through Witchaven 1 and 2 of my own free will

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
god i wish we could go back to the glory days of skyward sword and twilight princess instead of this poo poo lol

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I started and quit playing BOTW like 5 times now. I get a horse, get all my powers, gently caress around a bit, get to the elephant and quit.

I like the weapon durability, taking photos of wildlife, cooking, but it's kinda clunky and boring. Kids must love it though!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Private Cumshoe posted:

that's what makes it fresh and funny, the expectation, everyone loves a hack which is why right wing comedy is on the up and up

i don't get the connection between botw and right wing comedy

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Caesar Saladin posted:

i don't get the connection between botw and right wing comedy

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I tried to play breath of the wild but I was already exhausted of boredom like 45 minutes in maybe I'll try again

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought it was lame for like 6 hours and almost canned it. Then everything clicked and it became pretty much the best open world game I'd ever played until Elden Ring

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Excite Truck was the best Wii launch game.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I don't know why Nintendo makes 3D Zeldas have aggressively boring and dumb slow intros like what the hell they're not even good at introducing the game's concepts or controls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I think botw is bad if you've got aging gamer brain where you work out what the entire game is going to be within the first 8 hrs then have no desire to play the rest of it. lots of games are like that imo and it's why there are no good ones

jk there are good ones but they all try to break your expectations of what the game is or drive you through the repetition with an interesting story (red dead 2), actually fun gameplay mechanics (sekiro et al) or through the good brain chemical (diablo, poe)