Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The excavating UI is way better than the prospecting UI. Why aren't they the same UI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

bobtheconqueror posted:

Seconding checking out the encyclopedia, but some of the notable ones I saw were that leafkin gives your guys hooves for like a satyr look, rock kin gives you rocky bits. Supergrowth makes your guys bigger, or just normal size if they're hobbits, but that varies by form, so like frogs just get wider lol. The small guys one that I can't remember the name of makes your guys shorter, but doesn't reduce arm length as much so they look like really lanky short guys, unfortunately doesn't seem to change the size of warbreeds, although they do benefit from the effect.

Tome of Revelry gives the hooves, I know that much. I was hoping there was something that could give out horns without going full demon, but no dice. The Beastkin, Rockkin, and Frostling transformations do not look good.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Servetus posted:

Tome of Revelry gives the hooves, I know that much. I was hoping there was something that could give out horns without going full demon, but no dice. The Beastkin, Rockkin, and Frostling transformations do not look good.

Holy poo poo you're right. It's Reveler's Heart.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

dividertabs posted:

Even if there were good UI for it, it feels like it would still be a chore. I want my next game to be Materium focused, but will pick a different culture. I would like the bonus to be a completely different mechanic.

I didn't even use prospecting and they're still good

Use it as an early acceleration bonus and then ignore it when it gets annoying (or just ignore it because you forgot about it due to the weird ui :v:)

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I just want to drop in and show off my extremely doofy cat-people.

Thank you for your attention.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Man I love the customization and number of combos in this game. I usually play aggressive, expansionist, with lots of cities and big armies.

Barb culture is a good fit and I've been exploring both green and red trees to figure out the right balance and right order to pick them in. Red favors aggressive and green favors defensive expansion so finding the right balance might be the way. That said, I wanna try feudal as they have very good tier 2 stuff with horde type bonuses. Might be best to cherry pick your tomes, but I've been trying to stick with the colors you get with your culture. Game is great.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I love everything about the spawnkin race transformation except for how it looks.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Impermanent posted:

Also he's really down on necromancer stuff, but it seems like the way to do that is to go all in on mana buildings/improvements and not worry at all about draft (because you don't need it.) Which then makes you very rich as you do not have to pay anyone anything.

You can do summon heavy builds as Astral or Nature focusing on mana income and don't have to jump through anywhere near as many hoops as you do for the necromancy stuff.

I would say the Tome of Souls is a pretty bad starter. Souls are hard to come by early, Skeletons aren't anything special and while Bone Golems are pretty good, 30 souls is A LOT. The combat spell soul costs are particularly awful. Cast one and you're probably coming out of that battle with less souls than you started. You now can't autobattle with spells anymore or the AI will happily waste your souls which is tremendously annoying.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ojetor posted:

You can do summon heavy builds as Astral or Nature focusing on mana income and don't have to jump through anywhere near as many hoops as you do for the necromancy stuff.

I would say the Tome of Souls is a pretty bad starter. Souls are hard to come by early, Skeletons aren't anything special and while Bone Golems are pretty good, 30 souls is A LOT. The combat spell soul costs are particularly awful. Cast one and you're probably coming out of that battle with less souls than you started. You now can't autobattle with spells anymore or the AI will happily waste your souls which is tremendously annoying.
Been thinking about this today and I think the soul costing damage spells should do the apply soulbind/extra damage to soulbound thing.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'm having a lot of fun with the custom factions and all the different spells and their interactions, and even the city management is pretty fun, but man, the AI seems questionable, even for a 4x game. Particularly it seems incredibly conservative and passive. I've very rarely been seriously attacked or pressured across 4 games on normal. Was it like this in AOW3?

I know 4x games in general have serious issues with challenge and snowballing, but it's hard to stay interested when there's like no way I can lose.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

porfiria posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with the custom factions and all the different spells and their interactions, and even the city management is pretty fun, but man, the AI seems questionable, even for a 4x game. Particularly it seems incredibly conservative and passive. I've very rarely been seriously attacked or pressured across 4 games on normal. Was it like this in AOW3?

I know 4x games in general have serious issues with challenge and snowballing, but it's hard to stay interested when there's like no way I can lose.

up the difficulty

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

victrix posted:

up the difficulty

I saw some people saying the hard AI seemed even more conservative but I'm doing a brutal playthrough right now so I shall observe and report.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Hahaha wow. Wizard Kings in your Pantheon keep Overchannel when they volunteer to join you as a hero.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm gonna back victrix up on the Industrious characters. My starter culture was Industrious, and those Arbalests are no joke. If they stand still, they get a bunch more damage and can turn off retaliation on a unit, which lets you swarm dudes.

As far as early tomes go, Sundering Blades from the Enchantment tome is seriously good and never not relevant. All your melee units just... shredding armor is a thing that stays good forever.

Late game Materium is also kinda nutty. The terraforming spell lets you add rocky to features and works on mountains so you can literally carve out more map for yourself if you have nowhere to expand to. Also, as I found in my second game, the two nature terraforming spells both can't target terrain that is icy, and the Materium one can. Now, granted, it only adds the rocky feature, but that's one more feature that the terrain didn't have.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to a very basic and easy-to-grasp loop. In any given fight, your team's defenses are constantly increasing, and the enemy team's defenses are constantly decreasing. As long as you can keep your guys alive, you're not going to stalemate a fight, you are going to win.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Veryslightlymad posted:

As far as early tomes go, Sundering Blades from the Enchantment tome is seriously good and never not relevant. All your melee units just... shredding armor is a thing that stays good forever.

Fun thing to note: Both Sunder Defense and Sunder Resistance also reduce Status Resistance. So they synergize really well with things like Lightning Blade that have a 30% chance to cause electrified, or with strong CC units like the Inquisitor or Transmuter.

(Mystic Arcane Guard come with Sunder Resistance so you can get Sundering Blades and be proccing both Sunders at the same time, lol.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I rolled a hero with "consume chaos" which turns adjacent enemy negative status effects into 12 fire damage and heals for the hero.

So obviously I gave her a barbed shield and sundering strikes so every time she hits something she's inflicting status effects as well as sometimes when people hit her, then every other turn you can cast that ability :v:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Hryme posted:

Underground adaptation is not really that good. I am having trouble finding the initial free city of my race. I suspect is behind some diggable walls or even in a different cavern with a different entrance. And digging is super risky because you unleash monsters (at least on hard) that can lead to losses in the early game. Early game tempo suffers a lot because of this. Not sure if the added real estate is worth it because you are severely limited by imperium in the amount of cities you reasonably can control anyway.

My current game is with Underground Dwarves and I definitely got off to a slower start, but it's also true I've never been hurting for good city sites.

Overall I'm still doing not so great, but it's hard to tell how much of that is being underground and how much is turning the difficulty up to hard.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Anyone figured out how often you should be expanding, roughly? Trying to figure it out and having trouble with it, and it's historically something I've had trouble with figuring out in Civ games too until I figured out rough breakpoints for it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

orangelex44 posted:

Industrious has pretty good buildings and probably the strongest overall economy (prospecting is very good). Arbalests are absolute top-tier T1s that hold their utility even into the lategame. Halberdiers can also punch well outside their weight class. In general their units are fantastic stack-fillers; they give boosts to other units, are forgiving to mistakes, and don't need any special synergies to function at their best. Their cultural spells are very good too (a heal plus bolstering on non-industrious units are both amazing, and steelfury chant is a fun little trick to pull out towards the end of a grindy battle to push your damage over the top). Put all that together and you have a great culture for when you're attempting some dumbfuck plan that shouldn't work, but maybe it will actually because your fallback is just to have a lot of quality units. You're like Barbarian, except that you peak a little later for much longer.

That said, anyone who played AOW3 MP could tell you that "slow to die" can absolutely be a win condition. I'm not 100% sure that going industrial culture plus a bunch of materium tomes is an optimal strategy, but getting those defense stats to 10+ can count for a hell of a lot. Just making a poo poo-ton of really hard to kill dudes that keep coming in wave after wave from the factories is a reasonable option.

also it is literally trivial for your t1 shield dorks to hit 10 physical defense when bracing for the lines to meet

the moletariat has the missile evasion trait because the mole capitalists gave their pinkertons muskets and as a result everybody is used to hunkering down against the hail of missile fire

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
still making all my early-mid stacks out of houndmasters though, they're almost as shooty as arbalests and they get a free expendable dog unit that hits real hard and cracks enemy pikewalls

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Another fun thing you can do with anvil guard is if you taunt an enemy unit, it stays taunted for 3 turns, and very importantly it will follow the unit that taunted it to the exception of all else to try and attack it

So, you can use this to make a unit run directly through a bunch of halberds, or any of your other units with lots of retaliations. And if you don't kill it then the unit is still wildly out of position when it wears off.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

shimmy shimmy posted:

Anyone figured out how often you should be expanding, roughly? Trying to figure it out and having trouble with it, and it's historically something I've had trouble with figuring out in Civ games too until I figured out rough breakpoints for it.

My rules are basically: a) Always be doing something with all my heroes, and b) If I am clearing out an area with at least 3 resource bonuses and a decent amount of room, drop a city on it. Usually before actually finishing the clearing, since that gives me a spot to heal.

If I need to leave a garrison behind, and sometimes I do (especially in my underground game) I try to make it a non hero stack, and ideally I drop any units that have already hit legendary since they don't need to go hunting for my xp.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 7, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

shimmy shimmy posted:

I'm not sure either, but given how much just having even a fairly bad city improves my entire empire's Economy almost immediately, I'm strongly leaning toward "Whenever possible".

I've definitely been playing slow, so we'll see how an attempt at being much more cavalier with my resources goes.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Hey Gerb do yall have a preferred method of submitting bug reports beyond the in game report functionality? I've found a repeatable game breaking bug, at least on the fifth story mission. Will be seeing if shows up in other circumstances later. Basically if a unit would move into a location with a non-hostile army or settlement from automatic end of turn movement, it'll ask you to declare war or not, but after making the choice you can no longer hit the end turn button. The button makes a sound but does nothing and the game is busted until you reload a save.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

shimmy shimmy posted:

I've definitely not found the perfect balance here yet, especially looking at Imperium spending, but the earlier the better. I've found if I'm not too picky and scouting decently I can usually plop an outpost for a city down on turn 5-7 without issues, which gets a city up and running around turn 10. Then I head straight for a third, with enough space this would be any other small resource cluster, by the time you arrive and have the outpost plopped down you ought to have enough Imperium giving you 3 cities at around turn 15ish.

I've not actually had any space for a third city so far though, between city states and other players, so after the second city I've begun to just move my army with reinforcements from the capital to the nearest free city that looks nice and pickable and take a third that way. This is only over 4 games or so though, including the story scenario so I'd say it's highly subject to change.

Related, though I haven't fully formed my thoughts on it in combination with the above:

Both Nature 1 and Materium 1 speed up the time for settling, but in terms of tempo they are not equal. Materium speeds up outposts by 1 turn (and a pittance of gold saving) for 50 Imperium, but 1 turn is worth 40 Imperium at this time so all things being neutral you likely lose a turn of tempo (though the actual articulation can vary a bit per game). Nature 1 speeds up Cities by 2 turns, that is 50 Imp spend versus 80 Imp over 2 turns, which all things being neutral should gain you a turn in tempo (again, can vary per game nuances) as well as give you a bonus pop to start with.

So Nature is amazing (and possibly a bit too much) for tempo, and can speed up or give more leeway for the above considerations for when to settle.

Edit: need more coffee

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Why is the defeat screen a dead horse lmao.

(A guy declared war on me and came out me with 4 Warbreeds on Turn 28. I was like NOPE. immediately surrendered and ollie outed through the portal. An advanced-start guy on one of the Pantheon maps.)

Idk what it is but its real hard to get a strong start sometimes. Lately I haven't been starting with support units. One time I started with only two troops plus the scout. At this point I don't know if thats intentional or a bug.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I similarly tapped out on the third story mission on hard recently, after around 50 turns. Went in blind and ended up getting torn apart on too many fronts - even a lightning blitz to try to wipe out one flank of opponents simply left my underbelly open for the other flank to gently caress up my heartland, and I couldn't get a strong enough economy going to maintain both an effective offensive push and sufficient defenders to hold off the other flank's main force-level enemies.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

current favorite strat is grabbing as many intel spells and upgrades as I can and dropping outposts loving everywhere, been playing a lot of multiplayer and my group is very annoyed with me lately lol

my units are pretty bare-bones but since I get all the cool resources and they don't I can just drown them in bodies

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Why is the defeat screen a dead horse lmao.

Your leader is under the horse

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like autoresolve is rather undertuned, I keep having to fight battles that are not difficult but if I don't fight them manually the AI somehow gets half my army killed on a "low risk" battle.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like autoresolve is rather undertuned, I keep having to fight battles that are not difficult but if I don't fight them manually the AI somehow gets half my army killed on a "low risk" battle.

depends on the unit makeup

i've found the AI is insanely bad at using Industrious units properly, mostly OK with using Dark units, and overall super handy with unit-summoners (e.g. houndmasters, wildspeakers) as well as barb units (war shaman in particular)

the industrious is sad as hell, it gives up multiple units in early fights for no reason, even when I have seeker arrow enchanted arbalests and sundering anvil guards, with and without steel shapers (and manually retrying them to avoid the losses reinforces this)

e: the more I try to play industrious, the more I realize I may need to delay leveling my hero a bit if I don't want to do a bunch of manual crap early and focus more on exploration/expansion/exploiting the starting area to churn out units so that pure numbers let me auto attack and not have drawn out games where I have to micro battles if I don't want losses that I feel like I don't experience with barbarian/dark units

e2: extremely sad to know that resources on settled city tiles are lost/not considered annexed, or at least don't show up on the city's info screen as domain income

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 7, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

porfiria posted:

traditionally aow's ai will read your total military score or w/e and use that to determine how aggressive it should be. as in, if you're stronger than it, it'll coward away, but if it's stronger than you it'll act very aggressively to bully you. kind of how a human theoretically would play if they had access to that information.

so if you're playing better than the ai (not a terribly difficult feat) it'll go very passive. upping the difficulty is the only real means available of alleviating this, as it'll at least raise the coward bar.

unsure if this is how it plays out in 4.

what i will say about 4's ai is in tactical it's been pretty easy to bait the ai into a stupid engage by putting 1-3 pretty tanky unit(s) at the edge of the engagement range of multiple enemy units. if one enemy unit can hit you it'll usually ignore you but if multiple can it seems the ai will usually go for it, or at least one of the units will, even if attacking you there doesn't really get it much and heavily exposes it to being hit by the rest of your army.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 7, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My current game is a dreadful hugbox, everyone is nice to each other and me, and I've been dead last on military most of the game.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

prospecting seems way better than people make it out to be, or I just got super super lucky because you can find seemingly any item, even dread spider mounts on turn 3

getting 60+ production is insanely good on the early turns too, to the point where given that industrious needs some units to charge up to avoid early manual battles, I may end up playing an Industrious opening of drafting an extra scout immediately (I usually build no extras, probably not a good idea anyway) while immediately prospecting and scouting with the hero, then getting the second city dropped asap by my hero

that's my main goal, to try to focus on dropping my 2nd city as early as possible, at least as an outpost, especially now that I know cities should be placed on no-resource tiles :-/

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Holy poo poo this final story realm is loving miserable. You're fighting a massively-established dude that starts with celestial transformation, most hostiles in the realm are buffed to the gills with spirit enchantments, you start with a gold rated astral infestation 2 provinces away from your capital, you start right at the frontline and every dipshit vassal the rear end in a top hat enemy has is constantly sending dudes at you...what's the secret sauce here? Usually there's a quest or a mechanic to make fighting a heavily-established enemy work, but all you get is allies (that start behind you) and a boon you get to choose from them that honestly doesn't amount to poo poo. This is honestly really frustrating because the rest of the missions are pretty well-balanced on hard mode, and then this comes along and it's like the scenario designer decided to slam the player's head into a drawer repeatedly.

I even had to break from my intended build of not-Chaos Dwarfs, building specifically to counter celestials (tome of cold and tome of roots, poison and ice damage counter celestials), and it's still not loving enough to stop enemy attacks that upgrade every two waves.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Oh no my thread title! :lmao:

Just saying here that If I vanish again, I'm more reliably on discord. Same name as here and I'm on the AOW 4 official discord.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tempora Mutantur posted:

prospecting seems way better than people make it out to be, or I just got super super lucky because you can find seemingly any item, even dread spider mounts on turn 3
Yeah I really like it utilitywise it's just that bit too fiddly UI-wise.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

In 2nd mission I'm supposed to destroy some infestation. OK. Well it's surrounded by a lava lake and the only way in is through a city territory, and I can't get open borders with them until I destroy the infestation.

What I'm supposed to do? Learn to walk on lava? :shepicide:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Disrespect their boarders and go fast or sneak past with the fastest unit you can and summon.

And yes, that did feel a little weird, but said leader did let me pass without trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just trespass, IMO. Tell em to pound sand