Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yeah, the Terminology Of The Imperium section at the end of the first book lists it as the third planet of the Canopus system, which is a white giant - meaning its habitable zone is between 45 and 68 light seconds (Earth is 8 light seconds).

NDT voice
Actualllllllyyyyyyyy Earth is eight light minutes from the Sun.

It would be cool to have this MASSIVE white star in the sky, no idea what the habitable zone would be, but something else said it's also emitting x-rays and probably would tidally lock the planet, so just generally a sucky day(that never ends/begins) for everyone.

edit: nooo not a new page shiiiiiiiit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

NDT voice
Actualllllllyyyyyyyy Earth is eight light minutes from the Sun.

It would be cool to have this MASSIVE white star in the sky, no idea what the habitable zone would be, but something else said it's also emitting x-rays and probably would tidally lock the planet, so just generally a sucky day(that never ends/begins) for everyone.

edit: nooo not a new page shiiiiiiiit
Yeah, I hosed up both on remembering our distance to the Sun and the maths.

Canopus' habitable zone is like 100 AU out, ie. 100 times the distance between the Earth and the Sun - which combined with Canopus being "only" 71 times bigger than our Sun, ends up meaning it's visually smaller.

I'm too tired to work out the luminosity difference, but I'm pretty sure it'd be much brighter.
It's no wonder the Fremen avoided daytime; Riddick would feel right at home.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 5, 2023

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Yeah, I hosed up both on remembering our distance to the Sun and the maths.

Canopus' habitable zone is like 100 AU out, ie. 100 times the distance between the Earth and the Sun - which combined with Canopus being "only" 71 times bigger than our Sun, ends up meaning it's visually smaller.

I'm too tired to work out the luminosity difference, but I'm pretty sure it'd be much brighter.
It's no wonder the Fremen avoided daytime; Riddick would feel right at home.

It's about 10,000 times more luminous than the Sun, that's why its habitable zone is so far out.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DarkSol posted:

It's about 10,000 times more luminous than the Sun, that's why its habitable zone is so far out.
Isn't there a square cube law to account for, though?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Inverse squared law for light falloff, yeah. But even with it, it’d be super bright.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

The formula that I found is:

Avg. Habitable Zone Distance = (Lstar/L)0.5

Since Canopus is 10,000 times more luminous than the Sun... it's just 100000.5, which equals 100 AU.

The maximum and minimum habitable zone radii are calculated by the multiplying the average habitable zone distance by the factors 0.95 and 1.37, respectively. So, Arrakis would be somewhere between 95 and 137 AU away from Canopus.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you guys are patient for a slow burn hard sci-fi series that is very preoccupied with suns and their habitable distance from planets, TenCent put the entire Three Body Problem series on YouTube for free

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMX26aiIvX5rFSYPXtcqda3tWd6pGVD5Q

VR simulations of weird Solar orbits happen in episodes 7-16

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

If you guys are patient for a slow burn hard sci-fi series that is very preoccupied with suns and their habitable distance from planets, TenCent put the entire Three Body Problem series on YouTube for free

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMX26aiIvX5rFSYPXtcqda3tWd6pGVD5Q

VR simulations of weird Solar orbits happen in episodes 7-16

How close to the source material is it? Is it good? What are your thoughts on it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

DarkSol posted:

How close to the source material is it? Is it good? What are your thoughts on it?

Very close to the source material

Fair warning: a lot of the goons in TVIV thought it was slow or boring or badly acted, but I’m used to melodramatic acting in Asian tv shows/movies and liked it a lot

Seeing a computer made of millions of people raising flags to simulate logic gates was wild

One complaint: they left out the part of the old lady’s back story where her dad was killed by the Cultural Revolution, I thought it was important to her motivation

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 6, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I gave up watching maybe a third of the way through. Cheap production values, melodramatic acting, and repetitive exposition killed it for me. Just read the book imo.

Netflix will also have an adaptation this year. Run by the GoT guys though so… dunno how good it will be. It’s also centering the entire story in the west with a western cast… which will affect a lot of the story. Kinda thought we’ve had enough international hits in recent years to be beyond needing a white cast for every western adaptation…

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bugblatter posted:

I gave up watching maybe a third of the way through. Cheap production values, melodramatic acting, and repetitive exposition killed it for me. Just read the book imo.

Netflix will also have an adaptation this year. Run by the GoT guys though so… dunno how good it will be. It’s also centering the entire story in the west with a western cast… which will affect a lot of the story. Kinda thought we’ve had enough international hits in recent years to be beyond needing a white cast for every western adaptation…

narrator: don't read the book, it's terrible*

*yes, even that bit

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

sebmojo posted:

*yes, even that bit

Oh, is it?

People speak so well of the book that I thought maybe the show just failed the execution. I guess the book is just well regarded because it’s the first place some readers encountered the theories it’s based on?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

sebmojo posted:

*yes, even that bit

shut the gently caress up Three Body Problem rules

Bugblatter posted:

death by firing squad

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

AnEdgelord posted:

shut the gently caress up Three Body Problem rules

death by firing squad

it has a few cool set pieces, a neat beginning with the cultural revolution part, and an arrestingly different cultural viewpoint. against that it's characters are bland and crude, the setup is absurdly contrived to bring about the point the writer wants to make, the writing is incredibly clunky (maybe translation, but that's the version i'm talking about) and the women in it are barely even cartoons

some books like china mievilles I can see it's good, just not for me, 3 body has some good bits but so, so much sludge that goes along with it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I watched like 3 vids trying to explain that series and still have no idea wtf its even about

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

FBS posted:

please don't try to film God Emperor tia

I mostly think the first three books are the main 'point'. It's basically noble origin story, and then every work after taking more and more off the shine of it. Great, you've raised an army of religious zealots. Problem: You've raised an army of religious zealots. Ok, now you are in charge of all humanity. Enjoy knowing, with metaphysical certainty, the cost of what it takes to keep those ravening assholes alive in perpetuity. No wonder our boy dips. And then Children, where the cost finally is paid. Paul's journey ends with his children having to take up the horror of what prescience demands to keep humanity alive. His legacy is the jihad, and the God-Emperor. Who will never, ever die and be released from his suffering.

Four is just playing that out, and it's interesting but a bit messier. It works as a character study of Leto II, but it's a bit weaker in the margins. And then vast swaths of the next two books are just "These evil women are subduing us with their powerful gently caress muscles, but we've cloned an Idaho that dicks so good it controls them.". And it's like.....I think you ran out of anything interesting to say a few books back bud.

e: In my heart though? While I know 4 on wouldn't make good movies I would love to see someone try.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 6, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebmojo posted:

some books like china mievilles I can see it's good, just not for me, 3 body has some good bits but so, so much sludge that goes along with it.

A lot of bad opinion for one sentence

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

sebmojo posted:

...and the women in it are barely even cartoons

Dunno if the book is as bad, but some of the casually sexist statements in the show made my jaw drop.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

A lot of bad opinion for one sentence

Did you get to the second book where a character makes up an imaginary girlfriend/slave for himself and leaves his wife to go live in the country with his head-slave?

sebmojo posted:

What’s the deal with Mieville? He’s on my to-read list as an author who might be adjacent to Jeff VanderMeer, who I like a fair bit.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Mieville's biggest weakness as a writer is that he tends to get distracted by his cool world-building and go chasing after that as opposed to focusing on things like "plot" and "character". That said, his world-building is very good and cool and he writes some of the best prose in the genre.

Perdido Street Station and The Scar are his two best books, IMO. If you only read one of them, make it The Scar. You may get people trying to recommend you The City and the City or Embassytown as the first book of his to read, and while both of them are good, they are Advanced Mieville.

EDIT: Oh, he is also a no-poo poo Marxist, like wrote his PhD thesis and multiple non-fiction books on the field and that very much influences his work.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 6, 2023

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Jewmanji posted:

Did you get to the second book where a character makes up an imaginary girlfriend/slave for himself and leaves his wife to go live in the country with his head-slave?

You mean the guy who is explicitly called out as being a psychopath in the opening of the book and is directly chastised for abusing his position as a Wallfacer?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

You mean the guy who is explicitly called out as being a psychopath in the opening of the book and is directly chastised for abusing his position as a Wallfacer?

So hard to suss out who in these books are psychopaths based on the fact that they all act like chess pieces.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

1stGear posted:

Perdido Street Station and The Scar are his two best books, IMO. If you only read one of them, make it The Scar. You may get people trying to recommend you The City and the City or Embassytown as the first book of his to read, and while both of them are good, they are Advanced Mieville.

Interesting, I would have gone the other way around, because Embassytown and C&C don't really connect to the mythos of the other books, and are high-concept in a way I found very accessible once you click into it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

1stGear posted:

Mieville's biggest weakness as a writer is that he tends to get distracted by his cool world-building and go chasing after that as opposed to focusing on things like "plot" and "character". That said, his world-building is very good and cool and he writes some of the best prose in the genre.

EDIT: Oh, he is also a no-poo poo Marxist, like wrote his PhD thesis and multiple non-fiction books on the field and that very much influences his work.

Yeah that's well put. He writes beautifully, his ideas are amazing, but the actual novels are just those things banging against each other until the ending arrives. Many positive qualities, I just find him (and I've only read Perdido and the kraken) annoying.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
His nonfiction book on the October revolution is really good

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

banned from Starbucks posted:

I watched like 3 vids trying to explain that series and still have no idea wtf its even about

What if every culture in the universe has the same outlook as white guys who open carry at chuck-e-cheese’s for fear that another person might just start blasting at any moment

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

What if every culture in the universe has the same outlook as white guys who open carry at chuck-e-cheese’s for fear that another person might just start blasting at any moment

lol. Best summation of the dark forest hypothesis I’ve ever read.

My impression of the miniseries was that it might seem kind of neat if you’re never read about the Dark Forest solution to the Fermi Paradox, or fascinating if you aren’t aware of three body orbital solutions. But if you have, it was really dumb… and you’d probably be more entertained just reading the theorems than watching the show regardless. It would take substantially less time.

Would scientists encountering the shooter and farmer hypothesis kill theirselves in response? No, because it’s something anyone in relevant fields has been aware of for decades, and they aren’t committing mass suicides. None of the people in that series felt like they were written by someone who had encountered other humans… maybe the book is better.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I read the book and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. I honestly thought maybe I had read the wrong book. Are standards lower? Was it just a successful marketing campaign?

I found the ending unsatisfying as well.

Jewmanji posted:

What’s the deal with Mieville? He’s on my to-read list as an author who might be adjacent to Jeff VanderMeer, who I like a fair bit.

His prose is good and he has a flair for world-building and horror, but he has a tendency to be long-winded.* Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and The City and the City are probably his best novels. The City and the City is a bit lighter and set in a fictional Balkan country on Earth.

*Iron Council is actually shorter than Perdido Street Station but it felt interminable.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 6, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Mieville short stories are pretty solid, too, or at least Looking For Jake was.

You avoid most of his weaknesses in shorter form. You either get the good prose without the narrative being over-encumbered by too much world building, or else you get the good world building without the narrative being distracted by any plot.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think you're confusing RailSea and Iron Council.

Edit: gently caress, beaten.

I quite like RailSea, but it's a slightly odd perspective on YA fiction.

UnLunDun is a bit eh how's it going, but he's writing a critical response to Gaiman so that was always going to be the case.

Kraken is good, and much better at doing the exact same thing.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

FBS posted:

please don't try to film God Emperor tia

Oops, I was trying to make a sandwich but filmed God Emperor by mistake.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

no lovely feyd? bullshit film.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Interesting, I would have gone the other way around, because Embassytown and C&C don't really connect to the mythos of the other books, and are high-concept in a way I found very accessible once you click into it

I had the opposite experience: C&C was almost impenetrable to me because I kept getting caught on the bizarreness of a setting that was nominally supposed to be in the real world. Conversely, Perdido and Scar ease you into their fantasy stuff, possibly too much in Perdido's case. You'd miss out some stuff if you started with Scar (mostly making it really clear how much a bunch of bastards New Crobuzon are), but I don't think it'd be that hard to follow.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think you're confusing RailSea and Iron Council.

Edit: gently caress, beaten.

I quite like RailSea, but it's a slightly odd perspective on YA fiction.

UnLunDun is a bit eh how's it going, but he's writing a critical response to Gaiman so that was always going to be the case.

Kraken is good, and much better at doing the exact same thing.

EmbassyTown deserves more love. It’s an incredibly original piece of sci fi.

Still wanna know what the gently caress a “gift wing” is.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
iron council is the best of the three bas-lag books

loving punished irulan

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

looks like she did her own bangs

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

1stGear posted:

I had the opposite experience: C&C was almost impenetrable to me because I kept getting caught on the bizarreness of a setting that was nominally supposed to be in the real world. Conversely, Perdido and Scar ease you into their fantasy stuff, possibly too much in Perdido's case. You'd miss out some stuff if you started with Scar (mostly making it really clear how much a bunch of bastards New Crobuzon are), but I don't think it'd be that hard to follow.

I thought that The City and The City was clearly modeled on Slavic Christian and Turkish Muslim coexistence in the Balkans. It's some pretty straightforward exploring real social phenomena through the distant lens of science fiction. Two peoples that insist they are different and behave as if that's their most important taboo when they are literally the same city and the same people.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Arglebargle III posted:

I thought that The City and The City was clearly modeled on Slavic Christian and Turkish Muslim coexistence in the Balkans. It's some pretty straightforward exploring real social phenomena through the distant lens of science fiction. Two peoples that insist they are different and behave as if that's their most important taboo when they are literally the same city and the same people.

I don't have any knowledge of that, so that would probably explain why I slid off the book.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FBS posted:

looks like she did her own bangs

How did a still of the Shrike from SYFY's cancelled adaptation of Hyperion Cantos end up in the DUNC trailer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

exmarx posted:

iron council is the best of the three bas-lag books

loving punished irulan

Boy hope this wasn't too snug of a fit.