Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Link and Drew are either really quick to figure out which other animals are harmless and can be ignored, or completely oblivious to potential danger. Either way,

No fucks given.

bee posted:

You might be onto something there. When we boarded him during a recent holiday, the woman he stayed with said that every time she'd go into the aviary to clean it, he'd fly onto her shoulder and supervise until she was done :catstare:

Mine sit in the same spot on the blinds every time and watch while I clean out their cage. I assume I'm being judged both on the quality and speed of my work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Research on whether parrots will initiate video calls with other parrots.

I highly recommend watching this video, it is absolutely adorable :3:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

bee posted:

Research on whether parrots will initiate video calls with other parrots.

I highly recommend watching this video, it is absolutely adorable :3:

that's really touching :'-)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Chick has lost her mind and I've had to quarantine them both in the bird room all day. Wasabi is as calm and lovely as ever, but for some reason, it's like a switch has been flipped in Chick's head, she's constantly jonesing to get out into the living room, and when she's out here, she'll immediately land on my shoulder and painfully bite my neck. If I try to move her away or shoo her off, like I've done a million times before, she'll attack my hand really badly and grab bits of skin and scissor her beak until I'm missing a chunk of skin.

So I don't know what triggered her or what has set her off. She's sweet as anything in the bird room and can sit on my shoulder without issue (other than the fact I can tell she just wants to go out into the living room). Literally as soon as I open the bird room door, she zips out and starts behaving frantically. If I then go into the living room myself, neck bite followed by aggression and hand biting.

Not sure what to do, it sucks not having them out and I really feel weird sitting by myself in the living room. But Chick just cannot play nicely. I'm hoping she'll cool down in the coming days?? I've tried three times today to bring her back out to no avail, the attacks still happen no matter how many hours I give her to cool off. poo poo loving sucks, yo, she's fully being controlled by her lizard brain. My hands are absolutely riddled with bite marks and I've had stinging and sore hands and neck all day from this stuff.

If I lock Chick in the cage, she just spends the entire time pacing and stressfully trying to break out. If I leave Chick in the bird room and let Wasabi in the living room, they both try and get to each other. Leaving them both out but locked in the bird room is the only thing that seems to keep everyone (except me) happy. loving hormones man.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 24, 2023

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Can you invest in a small cage for your lounge room, then put Chick in it in the bird room, then carry her out to the lounge room with you and have her hang out in there but in the cage? Might be worth a try to see if she settles down a bit over time?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Managed to figure out a solution: just don't sit in my drat PC chair and all is well. I let the girls out today and it was fine, as long as I avoided the chair at my PC desk. For some reason, Chick has carved this out as her territory and will do the shoulder landing + bite combo if I try to sit on my chair. So I just watched TV and played games in my recliner instead, whilst Chick just sat on the back of my PC chair and observed, between bouts of flitting to and from the living room curtain rail, PC chair and bird room. The recliner slightly scares them so they left me in peace.

So I guess this is my life now? No more PC shenanigans if the girls (or the girl) is out. I don't mind, I missed having them out and about and I've got plenty to watch on TV. If I do wanna sit at the PC, I can just put em away for a few hours :shrug: Chick has that "I'm about to lay an egg" vent, so I think she's extra spicy due to this.

PS: I have a large cage in the living room already but they mainly sit atop it and don't like being put inside. They've always had issues being caged, as soon as the door is closed, they start trying to break out and pace frantically. I can open the door and they'll happily calm down and stay in the cage, it's a very weird mental trick they play on themselves. It has to be their own choice to be caged lol, absolutely spoilt

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.backerkit.com/c/corviforms/parrotlet-plush-pals

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EKDS5k posted:

Link and Drew are either really quick to figure out which other animals are harmless and can be ignored, or completely oblivious to potential danger. Either way,

Your birbs are neatly stackable, apparently.

lithium flour
Jan 27, 2012

a fully digital ovine

Ambrose Burnside posted:

We've got clothing moths... Any tips in this regard?

Moths are the loving worst, you have my sympathy.
It's obviously not a deterrent, but you can treat your clothes by freezing them for 3-4 weeks which will kill the eggs and larvae.
Sticky pheromone traps work alright too, and you can site them where the birds can't reach.
The only real cure is to find out where they are coming from, in my old flat there was a bit of old woollen carpet hidden inside some boxed-in pipework which was absolutely riddled. Also worth checking underneath bookcases & large furniture that is standing on carpet.

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

So many bird toys use the same type of cotton rope as this rope perch:

, is that generally safe?

Worried that our little budgies would pull fibers off and have them get
stuck in their digestive systems, but some toys look so nice.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

https://currumbinvetservices.com.au/foreign-body-ingestion/

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I do have then in both cages I possess. They seem to prefer the rope as their night perch but ignore it more during the day in favor of their hangout tree.

I have seen pictures of an impacted crop from the fibers from these perches, though. They do tend to fray after awhile and birds can easily track a few fibers on their claws. I'm probably going to replace them with natural perches soon.

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Thank you. They like being brought out riding on one of those perches but noticed they wanted to gnaw in it as well.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Umbrellas are garnishes for amateur drinks.

(Not alcohol)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I use those rope perches and just regularly check on them to make sure they aren't frayed. I also keep an eye on the birds to see if they chew at them a lot. They used to pull at the fibres but that behaviour stopped after a day and I haven't seen them do it since.

I only keep them in the cage because they're great for the girls to easily change from one level to another. Chick prefers hopping everywhere but Wasabi prefers flying everywhere, so I keep it for Chick. I prefer them both to use natural perches though as I don't like them sitting on the rope perches too much as it does nothing for nail maintenance.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

We discovered recently that Ritz loves that egg carton pressed cardboard material for shredding, so we've been getting him the cup holders from McDonald's but he destroys them in like a day, and we don't wanna go to maccas every day.

We ordered a small appliance and it came with the motherload, I have never seen him this ready to destroy.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
It's like imagine you're a child. It's Christmas. The biggest present under the tree is for you. The present is so big, like 12 of you can fit inside of it. That's Ritz.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Plant MONSTER. posted:

It's like imagine you're a child. It's Christmas. The biggest present under the tree is for you. The present is so big, like 12 of you can fit inside of it. That's Ritz.

For real, he doesn't even want to hang out with us anymore, all box all the time.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

We just went by a pet shop that had a young African Grey. So very cute and curious. Luckily I have the wherewithal and lack of funds to consider such an investment.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Explosionface posted:

We just went by a pet shop that had a young African Grey. So very cute and curious. Luckily I have the wherewithal and lack of funds to consider such an investment.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

girl has been sleepy lately and has mostly stopped flying. when she does fly, she’s clearly either weakened or not able to do what she did even a few weeks ago.

we’re worried about her, though she’s still capable of muscling up onto perches, hasn’t lost weight, and still goes apeshit for strawberries and pellets, with healthy poops. getting plenty of water. i can’t tell if her breathing has changed or not but my so thinks it seems more laboured after physical activity. she’s been super cuddly the past few days. i dunno. she’s not missing any flight feathers or anything.

we have a vet appointment but it isn’t until thursday. hopefully we’re all overreacting and can laugh about hormones or something in a few days. gonna be pretty stressed around here until then.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

mediaphage posted:

girl has been sleepy lately and has mostly stopped flying. when she does fly, she’s clearly either weakened or not able to do what she did even a few weeks ago.

we’re worried about her, though she’s still capable of muscling up onto perches, hasn’t lost weight, and still goes apeshit for strawberries and pellets, with healthy poops. getting plenty of water. i can’t tell if her breathing has changed or not but my so thinks it seems more laboured after physical activity. she’s been super cuddly the past few days. i dunno. she’s not missing any flight feathers or anything.

we have a vet appointment but it isn’t until thursday. hopefully we’re all overreacting and can laugh about hormones or something in a few days. gonna be pretty stressed around here until then.

I wouldn't worry too much, with a vet appointment booked and all the other stuff checking out. Sometimes lady birds get weird with the hormones. It's that time of year, too.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

mediaphage posted:

:ohdear: Please be well, little friend.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Hope she's ok :lovebird:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Hang in there, you perfect little blue floof. :ohdear:

I hope she rallies, mediaphage. 🫂 Your borbs have always been a ray of sunshine every time you post and I think are loved dearly by everyone itt, so I can only imagine what they must mean to you, someone who gets to hang out with them every day.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 1, 2023

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

How's little Grace feeling today?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Yesterday I was finally able to bury Mayo now that ground has thawed. She's under a tree and I laid poppies on top of her spot. The forecast was to be rainy and cloudy all week but after I buried her, the sun burst through the clouds and stuck around for an hour. I don't believe in schmaltzy stuff but just this once, I'm going to pretend it was the sky breaking open to greet her.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Yesterday I was finally able to bury Mayo now that ground has thawed. She's under a tree and I laid poppies on top of her spot. The forecast was to be rainy and cloudy all week but after I buried her, the sun burst through the clouds and stuck around for an hour. I don't believe in schmaltzy stuff but just this once, I'm going to pretend it was the sky breaking open to greet her.

i believe it too. :shobon:

grace is…i dunno if it’s better, but she’s not worse. we’ve just decided to let her eat as much millet as she wants, at least until thursday. she still can’t fly or flap really but she doesn’t seem to be as weak.

that’s strawberry slaughter on her beak. she’s currently eating millet half asleep, eyes squinting.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does anyone here do hobby miniatures painting? If I were to try painting minis, are there any threats to my little prince from the paints if he's in the same room? Adjacent room?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

As far as I've been able to find, there shouldn't be any harmful fumes if you're brushing on normal acrylic paints. Obv airbrushing/rattlecan primer isn't good and don't let them eat any paints.

Hobby adhesives are a bit harsh and I wouldn't use em near sensitive bird lungs.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I don't believe in schmaltzy stuff but just this once, I'm going to pretend it was the sky breaking open to greet her.

This sounds right to me :h:

True to form, Tux is continuing to work on his songs but he seems to be focusing on particular parts of them that I guess he finds appealing.

Tried to teach him this one: https://youtube.com/shorts/W0CUSG5SRZ0?feature=share

And after a few weeks he's sort of got it, at least the cookie part.

https://youtube.com/shorts/6nwfKzKjokI?feature=share

He also can make this noise that sounds a bit like a fire alarm or a emergency siren, he picked that one up off one of the other birds at the boarder who cared for him when we went away for a week's holiday. That one's a lot less endearing though :xd:

bee fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 7, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

for those following along, the vet agrees that something has been wrong with grace even just based on how she reacted at the vet.

vet snuggles:

current thoughts are that she probably managed to injure her wing, and then re-injure it during the healing process since her flying was so erratic. there was definitely a difference in response when he checked the wings. there's no sign of any obstruction or her being eggbound.

so part of her being so lethargic is that she might have been in too much pain to sleep well compounding just being in pain while awake. the poor thing. we got birdy advil and birdy ensure to give her. she's definitely perked up a bit - still not normal and not willing to fly, but i'm definitely less freaked out than i was.

i can't tell you how fortunate we are to have such a good vet. he's got an amazing bedside manner and is just so warm and caring, and obviously knows his stuff with birds and other less standard pets.

two physical exams and getting alex's nails trimmed ("well, alex certainly isn't lethargic. just full of p and v" lol) and the meds came to right around $300 cad which i think is ridiculously good considering

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 7, 2023

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

mediaphage posted:

current thoughts are that she probably managed to injure her wing,

Poor darling birdie, I hope she feels better soon.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Good vibes for Grace, she's a treasure

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Lil Grace, get well soon. Hopefully some quality snoozes are enough to get her health and energy back.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Grace... <3

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Pesto and Dijon say hi. They're best friends now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Pesto and Dijon say hi. They're best friends now.

“sorry, this club is for cool people only. you obviously can’t join us.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Grace looks like such a happy little bean. I know she's going to get better with all that love she lives around. :derptiel: