Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

stay in Tokyo, make a day trip to Nikko, or make a day trip to Kamakura.

Only 3 days, I would recommend 1. stay in Tokyo or 2. daytrip to Nikko.

Nikko Toshogu and the surrounding temples can be enjoyed for a full day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No complaints about buying a Shinkansen ticket on SmartEx, but if I’m being honest the process of using it at the gate on my iPhone 14 was kind of cumbersome. Every time I went to scan the QR code, the gate would detect my suica card instead. The poor guard couldn’t figure it out either, so eventually we just went to the side entrance and he manually processed the QR code.

It was sill more convenient and faster than standing in line and buying a ticket so I’ll do the same for the ride back in a week :)

Do wish I’d just shipped my second suitcase to Osaka to begin with though — carting even two small suitcases with an umbrella in the rain is chotto…

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 7, 2023

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

My main question is: for the additional full day in Tokyo, the travel info suggests one of three option: stay in Tokyo, make a day trip to Nikko, or make a day trip to Kamakura. What would you all recommend?

Considering how temple/nature-focused the rest of your trip appears to be, another day spent in Tokyo would be my recommendation. Kamakura, paired with Enoshima, would be my second recommendation as the rest of your trip is mostly inland (though I guess you might head to Miyajima on one of the Hiroshima days). Nikko I think is generally better over two days, because I think the Lake Chuuzenji area is just as, if not more, interesting than the town, but it'd be very rushed to try to do everything in a day trip.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I have two solo days at the end of my trip to plan for and no ideas. This being the end of a retread of the greatest hits in Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto I am probably going to be museum, shrine, and templed out. I was looking for tours I could take of factories that aren't sake breweries and the like. Toy factories would be my jam but looking into it, places that used to give tours just don't anymore. Takara Tomy used to apparently. The other reason I can figure is that while toys may be designed in Japan the production is not.

Another place that used to give tours and doesn't anymore is Midoriyama Studio City, where the new season of Takeshi's castle was filmed and in the past ninja warrior, etc. Obviously they arent going to want a bunch of weirdos climbing all over poo poo but I would have liked to see the course. Google gave me a link but it was dead.

So all the talk of offbeat and unique museums and the like, I was wondering if anyone knew of something this vein in the Kanto area I could check out.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

What are the dates for this? There might be some temporary exhibitions, festivals, etc. that might be of interest.

Blackchamber posted:

Another place that used to give tours and doesn't anymore is Midoriyama Studio City, where the new season of Takeshi's castle was filmed and in the past ninja warrior, etc. Obviously they arent going to want a bunch of weirdos climbing all over poo poo but I would have liked to see the course. Google gave me a link but it was dead.

The Takeshi's Castle set was anyway taken down immediately after filming (Sept last year). The Sasuke set was then built in the same area, but that's probably gone now too since other productions may need the space.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

DiscoJ posted:

What are the dates for this? There might be some temporary exhibitions, festivals, etc. that might be of interest.

The Takeshi's Castle set was anyway taken down immediately after filming (Sept last year). The Sasuke set was then built in the same area, but that's probably gone now too since other productions may need the space.

October 17 and 18.

That figures but its lame. I'd love to take pictures infront of the castle.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oct 17 and 18???
Niihama Taiko Festival

https://niihama-taiko.com/

FYI you can buy shinkansen tickets from any staffed JR station in advance. It does not need to be a shinkansen station.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

peanut posted:

Oct 17 and 18???
Niihama Taiko Festival

https://niihama-taiko.com/

FYI you can buy shinkansen tickets from any staffed JR station in advance. It does not need to be a shinkansen station.

A bit far from the Kanto area but interesting.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
Anyone know what Tokyo sumo tournament ticket prices look like?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

crackhaed posted:

I can't help but really wanted to go to one but there isn't a tournament when we'll be there. I think we'll watch a practice instead for like $80.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

crackhaed posted:

For September? The price isn’t the problem, it’s availability. My impression is they sell out quickly, might only be available in-country and even then might not be available through convenience stores etc. Might double check just for curiosity. The Sumo thread in Punchsport Pagoda might be a better place to ask

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I've looked before and even the cheapo nosebleed seats are like $250 each for one day.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

crackhaed posted:

https://sumo.pia.jp/seat05.jsp

Ranges from 2000JPY to 20,000JPY per person depending on area.

Tickets for the may event are already almost completely sold out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

crackhaed posted:

I paid 20k-something jpy total for front row non-box arena seats for day 1 and 4 for the upcoming tournament. Went through buysumotickets.com. I’ll check actual invoice when I get back to my hotel.

That said, at this point they’re almost certainly all sold for May.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Kaddish posted:

My wife and I are pretty big roller coaster enthusiasts and we're considering taking a day just for Fuji-Q. We only have 5 days in Tokyo so this is a pretty significant commitment. Can anyone speak to the quality of the rides there? The theming doesn't look great but we're more interested in how fun the coasters are.

the coasters are great, I think there's several record coasters in the park. worth doing if you're an enthusiast for sure

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Thanks for the Fuji-Q info everyone, looks like we'll take a day for it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DiscoJ posted:

I’m pretty sure crackhaed is traveling in the fall, they’ve mentioned to me here or elsewhere about going to the F1 race at Suzuka as well on their upcoming trip.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Kaddish posted:

Thanks for the Fuji-Q info everyone, looks like we'll take a day for it.

Good choice. FujiQ is great. Go on a weekday to assure shorter wait times.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

harperdc posted:

For September? The price isn’t the problem, it’s availability. My impression is they sell out quickly, might only be available in-country and even then might not be available through convenience stores etc. Might double check just for curiosity. The Sumo thread in Punchsport Pagoda might be a better place to ask

harperdc posted:

I’m pretty sure crackhaed is traveling in the fall, they’ve mentioned to me here or elsewhere about going to the F1 race at Suzuka as well on their upcoming trip.
Yeah, looking at the September tournament.

DiscoJ posted:

some kinda jackal posted:

I paid 20k-something jpy total for front row non-box arena seats for day 1 and 4 for the upcoming tournament. Went through buysumotickets.com. I’ll check actual invoice when I get back to my hotel.

That said, at this point they’re almost certainly all sold for May.
Oh cool, that's not too bad! Looks like an Arena-S seat is only about $80 USD which seems worth it.

Looks like the tickets have to be physical but buysumotickets.com ships internationally? That'll work.

EDIT: Did the pre-order for Sept 20th Arena S, came out to $199 USD for two tix including shipping. Thank you!

EDIT 2: Looks like Amex got me a better exchange rate than their website estimated, went through for $189.80!

crackhaed fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 8, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome! You’re going to love it. I’ve only been once before but it was absolutely a highlight. There’s not a bad seat in the place, but even then I still opted for the S package :haw:

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Awesome! You’re going to love it. I’ve only been once before but it was absolutely a highlight. There’s not a bad seat in the place, but even then I still opted for the S package :haw:
I'm very excited! The previous time I was in Japan we somehow got into a private viewing of a training session. We had to be completely silent the entire time lol but it was really cool, I can't wait to see an actual major event.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hate to ask something so obvious but:

The hotel I’m at serves a mediocre western breakfast at best. Is there a chain that does a trad grilled fish/miso/rice breakfast I can pop in for instead? It doesn’t have to be a chain but unless someone has a specific breakfast recommendation for Namba/Dotonbori area in Osaka that’s probably my best bet.

My hotel in Tokyo did a nice nice job of it, and I’ll be happy to head back there in a week, but I guess I have to find my own way around early morning food here in Osaka.

In Canada I can just show up to any random hotel for breakfast without actually staying there but I’m sort of assuming I can’t really count on that being the case here.

crackhaed posted:

I'm very excited! The previous time I was in Japan we somehow got into a private viewing of a training session. We had to be completely silent the entire time lol but it was really cool, I can't wait to see an actual major event.

Well you’ll definitely have the opportunity to be louder now :haw:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know a chain for that but def search for a kissaten or just like a Komeida coffee for a morning set. Ogura toast is good.

Tamago kake gohan was a big trend too (still is? maybe?) so a google for that should bring you to breakfast places, some might have more extensive menus.

Noitaroballoc
Apr 16, 2005

680 in 40
Sukiya and Matsuya both have a basic Japanese breakfast that'll be inexpensive.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The hotel I’m at serves a mediocre western breakfast at best. Is there a chain that does a trad grilled fish/miso/rice breakfast I can pop in for instead? It doesn’t have to be a chain but unless someone has a specific breakfast recommendation for Namba/Dotonbori area in Osaka that’s probably my best bet.

My hotel in Tokyo did a nice nice job of it, and I’ll be happy to head back there in a week, but I guess I have to find my own way around early morning food here in Osaka.

In Canada I can just show up to any random hotel for breakfast without actually staying there but I’m sort of assuming I can’t really count on that being the case here.

Well you’ll definitely have the opportunity to be louder now :haw:

Took two seconds to google.

Something like this?

The Meshiya 24 Sennichimae
06-6645-5011
https://maps.app.goo.gl/kvjrXyrmYatP4g159?g_st=ic

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Noitaroballoc posted:

Sukiya and Matsuya both have a basic Japanese breakfast that'll be inexpensive.

and Yoshinoya.

Sukiya is my standard because it's close. Breakfast is like 350 yen.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
For Osaka I'd recommend Nakau if you just want a cheapo Japanese style breakfast over Yoshinoya.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Family restaurants like Denny's and Gusto also have a Japanese breakfast menu.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

r0rb posted:

For Osaka I'd recommend Nakau if you just want a cheapo Japanese style breakfast over Yoshinoya.
This is correct.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks gang. Yeah, I googled but I guess I’m over analyzing what I find. Sounds like I have a good few options thanks!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Get thee to a Ootoya location, it’s a national chain specializing in those kinds of dishes. Looks like a couple in central Osaka.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

One thing I'm finding preparing my trip to Japan is that everything seems very reasonably priced, compared to home.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Everything I’ve eaten is easily like 2/3 of what I’d expect to pay in Canada. Half, if I’m being generous.

Also thanks for more suggestions!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

One thing I'm finding preparing my trip to Japan is that everything seems very reasonably priced, compared to home.

Exchange rate is extremely generous right now, and low prices (despite some inflation) is the only way this place doesn’t collapse because salaries for locals sure ain’t going up.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Even "cheap" garbage food stuff like conbini sandwiches and whatnot is still like, much much higher quality than junk food garbage made in the USA, I've found. So it feels like you're getting something actually decent quality for what you might have to pay 2x the price for the same thing in your home country. Probably some of it is "wow Japan!!!" honeymoon stuff but even after 5 years I was always pretty psyched to get one of those chicken teriyaki and egg sandwiches from 7Eleven for like 238 yen.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
Japan's 7-11 food ranges from fine to legit good. It's kind of crazy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, like, the Lawson nuggets you can get for 100 yen (did they hike that?) are legit pretty good.

How do they keep food prices like that, subsidies? Does Majima go visit people who hike the price on a lunch set too high?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, basically every government that can uses subsidies to keep food prices reasonable.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
As it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I'm going to be visiting Sendai next month and I'm interested in checking out the Fox Village but it looks like it's well in the middle of nowhere. I don't have a driver's license so I can't rent a car. Am I just going to have to rely on what few buses there are, assuming they're there in the first place?