Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

eh, if you don't think what Hawke and Keating delivered was overall good, you are just someone that fell for Alan Jones talking points.

Labor is not a steal from the rich and give to the poor party, it is a structurally change the system to grow the pie and increase the size of the pie for the workers. Whether that is a bigger ratio to someone else's portion than before is somewhat beside the point (although to satisfy the crab buckets, it's always good optics to tell people you will give them part of someone else's slice of pie).

The best example is superannuation. Decisions driving corporate governance are being more and more driven by industrial funds asking questions and demanding action on stakeholder issues beyond simple Net Asset Value/Free Cash Flow/Earnings Per Share/blah blah blah. That is almost entirely through Labor setting up mandatory Super contribution which means that large groups of people don't just have to rely on the vote and the nebulous impact on a particular issue, a grassroots campaign to take your collective bat and ball super out of a company can have impact on their decision making. Yes a cottage industry was set up for accountants and managers, the enemy - who lent money to evil capitalists, growing their slice of pie, but at the same time workers in Aus are far, far better off for the change with much much bigger slices of pie than early 80's (it's all relative too, it was a young population in the 80's without nearly the consideration for externalities such as the environment, first peoples or unintended consequences - much cheaper to achieve a certain quality of life than it is today).
i was unaware that hawke & keating invented the idea of economic growth, very intriguing stuff. what about if workers had economic growth and say, a union movement that hadn't been hollowed out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

lih posted:

i was unaware that hawke & keating invented the idea of economic growth, very intriguing stuff. what about if workers had economic growth and say, a union movement that hadn't been hollowed out though.

look mr alan jones, that post doesn't mention economic growth or even contain the word 'economy'. it's about pie. they invented pie growth.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
the pie meat/sauce inflation is off the charts, mistah speakah, but there's nothin' we can do!!!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
they're putting horse meat in the pies again mr speaker

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Get rid of negative gearing already you loving cowards

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

abigserve posted:

Get rid of negative gearing already you loving cowards

They can't do it now, because the greens have suggested it.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I am not sure of offical thread posting decorum, are you all planning to swear alligence to Charles before or after he's sworn in?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'll just be swearing

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eosdBiaq8Fk

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

American polling but wouldn't be surprised if it about tracked in Australia; 'economic conservative put socially progressive' is from all indications a demographic that literally does not exist.

They don't seem to exist at all in America, but they literally had a bunch of upset wins last Australian election.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Pleasant Friend posted:

I am not sure of offical thread posting decorum, are you all planning to swear alligence to Charles before or after he's sworn in?

I’ll give him one of these

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tWsa7TDI0o

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Lmao he had one sentence to say and needed a card

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Not My King

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

This is the silliest poo poo in the world

Like, literally

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Is he demented? Like he has that guy whispering to him to stay seated kneel and holding flash cards to read off. He couldn't memorize this?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Generations of inbreeding and he's in his 70s, they're lucky he isn't smearing poo poo on the walls

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Although I guess metaphorically.....

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Seeing as he's the king of australia there really should be an australian component of the ceremony where he does a royal shoey or something.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Eediot Jedi posted:

Is he demented? Like he has that guy whispering to him to stay seated kneel and holding flash cards to read off. He couldn't memorize this?

his parents were cousins

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
and his fingers look like sausages about to burst

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

this is really scientology level theatre

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

They had a chance to give the monarchy a bit of a shot in the arm. Make the case for its relevance. And they just hosed it up completely. This is the most boring depressing poo poo I've seen in my life. Bunch of adults playing dress-ups and make-believe and they couldn't even manage a smile. Couldn't remember 5 lines he's had literally his whole life to learn. gently caress outta here.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
dude needed a 70 slide powerpoint deck from Ol' Buckaroo on how to capture the hearts and minds of Australian Gen Z'ers and not be, as the kids say, cheugy

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I don't think it's really that complicated.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is modern England, what makes you think they're capable of even acknowledging any of that might be a good idea, let alone doing it

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
cocks out for charles

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Do kids actually say cheugy? Cos it sounds made up and also not cool

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is modern England, what makes you think they're capable of even acknowledging any of that might be a good idea, let alone doing it

... smiling? lol

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Charles is the perfect avatar for everyone turning around saying "Wait a moment, monarchy loving sucks!"

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hooman posted:

Charles is the perfect avatar for everyone turning around saying "Wait a moment, monarchy loving sucks!"

I think it's also the moment in time. People largely tolerated Liz, cos she'd been there as long as anyone could remember, and basically kept her head down. All the other coronations happened in a very different world. Anti-monarchism has been building for a while of course, then yeah slap charles' stupid face on it with a weird arse ceremony in the age of twitter and who knows how much longer the charade can last.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I think it's also the moment in time. People largely tolerated Liz, cos she'd been there as long as anyone could remember, and basically kept her head down. All the other coronations happened in a very different world. Anti-monarchism has been building for a while of course, then yeah slap charles' stupid face on it with a weird arse ceremony in the age of twitter and who knows how much longer the charade can last.

Well he's probably going to lose Scotland under his watch, so if nothing else the flag's got to go.

Which will make ours look even stupider.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
is it part of the coronation that he look loving miserable during the whole thing

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Non Compos Mentis posted:

is it part of the coronation that he look loving miserable during the whole thing

Camilla and her ladies in waiting were there to make Charles look absolutely jubilant by comparison.

You'd think they all dressed up for a tax audit (not that they know what one of those is).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm glad England blew the last remaining bits of their GDP on this lmao

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Finally an affordable rental in Sydney

quote:

A home in western Sydney where a mother was stabbed and decapitated by her 27-year-old daughter is again up for rent.

The three-bedroom house in St Clair is being advertised for $530 a week.

However, whoever rents the home will be living in the exact place where one of Sydney’s most gruesome crimes took place in 2019.

Jessica Camilleri stabbed her mother Rita at least 100 times in a “fit of rage” after an argument ensued between the pair on July 20 that year.

Camilleri then took her mother’s head from the kitchen of the home and placed it on a footpath outside.

A jury heard the 27-year-old asked police at the scene if doctors could work “miracles” and “sew her head back on”.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

They had a chance to give the monarchy a bit of a shot in the arm. Make the case for its relevance. And they just hosed it up completely. This is the most boring depressing poo poo I've seen in my life. Bunch of adults playing dress-ups and make-believe and they couldn't even manage a smile. Couldn't remember 5 lines he's had literally his whole life to learn. gently caress outta here.
If he wanted what was best for the monarchy he would have abdicated the throne in favour of William. I don't think he is likeable but I don't see people get riled up about him and Kate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Budzilla posted:

If he wanted what was best for the monarchy he would have abdicated the throne in favour of William. I don't think he is likeable but I don't see people get riled up about him and Kate.

He's been waiting for this for literally his entire lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Budzilla posted:

Abdication is arguably the thing that hosed it all up. It’s been downhill ever since Edward hosed off. His mum made it absolutely clear that abdicating is the one thing you can’t do in the eyes of god, that’s why she never let go