Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Daduzi posted:

Just saw the movie and loved it. Thought: is Guardians of the Galaxy now the best comic book movie trilogy?

I haven't seen 3 yet, but GotG 2 did almost nothing for me. I can't really call Cap a trilogy, because that third movie is an Avengers movie with Cap branding. Iron Man comes close, but the second one is so drat boring.

The Dark Knight trilogy is probably the best, despite Rises' bloat. Begins is so goddamn good. And Snyder's trilogy is good if you use the UE of BvS and obviously ZSJL.

On this note, it amuses me that both X-Men trilogies started out with a decent first movie, a great second one, and then poo poo the bed with the third.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did think it was funny how Guardians 3 un-changes Rocket's origin to re-add the Racoon appellation.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
yondu's story in gotg2 is the most affecting thing the mcu has put out imo*

*i have not seen gotg3

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

yondu's story in gotg2 is the most affecting thing the mcu has put out imo*

*i have not seen gotg3

It’s completely unearned. He’s an uncaring, cruel, abusive jerk until one final line.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You don't seem to have paid much attention.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The entire movie is about softening his character, I don't agree with that at all.

Like, the entire Ravager plot in 2 happens because he keeps talking tough but treating Peter with kid gloves.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah and it's implied he did it Peter's entire life. And we get the flashbacks of Yondu training Peter when he was a kid.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Christmas special drives it home again, too. He's your standard jerk with a heart of gold

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

one day folks will learn that many (most) goons are bad at watching movies, and worse at posting about them

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. We get the clear idea from the first film that even if Yondu is cruel and abusive he also did actually save Peter’s life and protect him and when Peter screws him over he’s amused by it. That’s all followed up on in the second film as his crew turns on him because he’s always protected Peter. So yeah he is cruel and abusive. He’s also clearly always been protective of Peter. By the end Peter gains enough perspective to appreciate Yondu for the good instead of be angry about the bad.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Why blue man mean to funny man? What funny man do make blue man mad?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The other thing is that Yondu, as the movie all-but-states, has no idea how to process his paternal love for Peter. That's the reason it pairs him with Rocket, who also can't help himself from pushing people away.

e: God, these characters are so good

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's a difference between a character choosing to forgive a lovely person to live without hate and anger in their heart and the movie itself redeeming an abusive rear end in a top hat because they meant well. I truly don't remember more than like 10% of GotG2 so I can't say if it was the former or latter.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The whole film is about characters letting go of anger. Gamora and Nebula. Rocket. Even Drax/Mantis is kind of about Drax moving beyond his grief and anger and moving on through his goofy relationship with the empath.

Is Yondu “redeemed”? I dunno. He sacrifices himself and his old crew come to forgive him. But the story is about Peter and everyone else just letting go of anger and appreciating the family they have.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 6, 2023

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

STAC Goat posted:

The whole film is about characters letting go of anger. Gamora and Nebula. Rocket. Even Drax/Mantis is kind of about Drax moving beyond his grief and anger and moving on through his goofy relationship with the empath.

I also feel that Kraglin is part of that too. I've always seen him as Quill's jealous older brother. He's the one who has been loyal to Yondu and looked up to him, but Quill is the one who always gets the better treatment. While many of the crew come off as frustrated during the mutiny, Kraglin comes off as genuinely hurt. He and Quill never had too many scenes with each other, but their moment at the end of Guardians 2 is them seeing eye-to-eye and respecting each other as part of Yondu's legacy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aphrodite posted:

It’s completely unearned. He’s an uncaring, cruel, abusive jerk until one final line.

It was earned

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Due to a combination of a new screenwriter and the strike Blade has been delayed, again.

Also grain of salt but rumors are that Adam Driver has been cast as Reed.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think Yondu is a case of a black and white "redeemed" vs "not redeemed". He's clearly still awful in a lot of ways. But in the end Quill sees him as more of a dad than Ego ever was.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. I think you can decide how you feel about Yondu. I don’t think the movie seeks to convince you the bad poo poo he didn’t wasn’t bad or that was all in service of something good. It’s just about Yondu ultimately deciding to do what’s right, Peter appreciating him for what he was, and his old team forgiving him to honor him.

Forgiveness doesn’t have to mean innocence or getting cleared of your sins or doing some redeeming act that wipes the slate clean. Sometimes it’s just moving beyond them to something healthier.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Movie was good as usual. I’ll definitely miss James Gunn in the MCU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Quill learned that his dad was a planet-sized rear end in a top hat who wanted to kill him. In doing so he also learns the merely human-sized rear end in a top hat who saved his life (again) was actually his real dad.

Of course it's loving earned.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I liked the movie.

I'm glad they didn't kill off the characters of the actors who weren't returning. Everyone gets an ending they're at peace with. Mantis messing with people was fun. The giggles she got out of "You are now madly in love with Drax" were great and the fact that she had done it before made it better. I halfway thought Gamora would stay with the Guardians but then the Guardians made that irrelevant anyways.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Loved it, cried several times, hugged my cat as soon as I got home. The High Evolutionary was an excellently nasty villain that you absolutely wanted to get everything that was coming to him. Like a lot of people I was surprised that none of the main cast died, but I can't say I was displeased, and it certainly didn't feel like a cop-out. Everyone earned their happy ending and were given the chance to move beyond their various traumas.

Not sure yet where I'd rank this with the other Guardians movies, but at the moment I'm thinking 2 > 3 > 1. That will probably change on rewatch; 2 has gotten a little bit better every time I rewatch it, and I expect the same of this.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
"I just wanted a sister" is an underrated gut punch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Karen Gillen might be secret MVP of the Guardian movies

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

She's great as Nebula. I hope this isn't the last of her, because she got a lot more time to shine in this film and seeing protective (and maybe even tender!) Nebula was cool.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The_Doctor posted:

She came drat close to stealing Endgame as well.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Goddamn, it's been too long -- and too many tiresome years of Marvel Discourse -- since we've gotten a Marvel movie that's not a noble failed effort, not "pretty fun", not good, but flat-out great. Absolute home run, not a wrong note in the entire movie, everyone was amazing, High Evolutionary might be the most loathsome MCU villain, the narcissitic, animal-torturing fuckhead.

Top 5 Marvel movie, easily, and James Gunn can do whatever the gently caress he wants with Superman.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
One thing I genuinely appreciated was that this was actually a proper sequel to Guardians 1 & 2 and not also every other Marvel thing in this phase or a launching pad for some future project.

And I don’t mean that in a pithy “MCU is just a tv show now!” way, I mean that this was a Marvel subfranchise sequel that actually followed up primarily on threads from the first two without just being a reaction to all the events that have happened since the last Guardians movie. The Gamora stuff is really the only wider MCU thing touched upon but even that felt largely self-contained and handled organically.

I absolutely loved the ending, corny as it was, and the above was part of that. It just felt genuinely good to see this cast celebrate the end of their story. And yeah we’ll probably see some of them again, but this was a great send-off for them as a team.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I imagine because this was Gunn's swan-song for the MCU that they didn't want to saddle him with future worldbuilding. Which is good because the Guardians movies have enough going on that we don't really need more of that. I'm also glad that all of the characters get satisfying arcs that complete and leave them in a better place.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's interesting that they said Star Lord would return, specifically, since he seemed to have things wrapped up and Rocket's still out there with his team. I assume they have some plan for him in the next big crossover

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I just never know with that stuff. They made a big deal at the end of GotG2 about Sylvester Stallone's crew with a post-credits scene and everything, and they are in this movie for like 3 minutes.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Opopanax posted:

It's interesting that they said Star Lord would return, specifically, since he seemed to have things wrapped up and Rocket's still out there with his team. I assume they have some plan for him in the next big crossover

He's the one on Earth at the end of the movie, which makes it really easy to work him into just about anyone else's film. He's also the cheapest guardian by weight of SFX to have on screen(though definitely not by salary), so maybe he'll turn up in Vision Quest or something else on TV.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
watched it last night. it was pretty good. i dunno tbh i don't really have much to say about it. i think the only person who didn't end up in a satisfying place was Gamora. would've liked to see a guardians 3 not throttled by her death in iw. of all the people to say will return my choice wouldn't have been star lord, unless one of the new team members has taken that title.

overall better than 1 but not as emotionally resonant as 2 and it didn't really feel like something I'll have a need for revisiting any time soon

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Has Quill ever been an Avenger in the comics? I could see them tossing him onto the team in the next one just to have one more big name in the credits.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

. would've liked to see a guardians 3 not throttled by her death in iw.

I think that was important, the major theme is saying goodbye and letting go

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Has Quill ever been an Avenger in the comics? I could see them tossing him onto the team in the next one just to have one more big name in the credits.

Just doing a google, it looks like he has a big part in Secret Wars in the comics, and haven't there been comics where Middle Aged Starlord does stuff? I've definitely read a book where he gets marooned on a planet with two other folks, ends up doing a poly relationship in a MMF trio and eventually gets back to civilization older and wiser. Maybe it was a one-off.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Opopanax posted:

I think that was important, the major theme is saying goodbye and letting go

for quill specifically, but nothing really changed between her and nebula, and mainly my gripe is that she's just a real nothing of a character here. she just spends the entire movie saying I'm not that other gamora. even drax got more development than that in the end

site fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 7, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Soul Glo posted:

Middle Aged Starlord does stuff? I've definitely read a book where he gets marooned on a planet with two other folks, ends up doing a poly relationship in a MMF trio and eventually gets back to civilization older and wiser. Maybe it was a one-off.

That's Ewing's Guardians run, but you might also be thinking of Old Man Star Lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Was coming here to say basically this. Move was great, didn't quite reduce me to a bawling mess like 2 did, but that's partly because I'm closer to the paternal themes of 2 than the themes of 3. But the moment that got me good in 3 is when Nebula loses it on hearing Rocket's voice on the radio. Gillen just nails all of her emotional walls dropping for a few moments and the ugly sobs of relief loving hit me right in the gut (it also makes sense because Nebula might actually be closer to Rocket than Quill is, at least from her perspective). Mantis was great too, with her basically vocalising what Nebula can't bring herself to say

I still think my favourite GOTG scenes are actually from the Eidos video game (specifically with Quill and Drax on Knowhere and Quill and Nikki at the climax), but drat if Gunn doesn't get how to balance the humour and pathos in these.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 7, 2023