Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Steven Seagal is doing the Nutty Professor thing and playing Kadyrov and Progozhin in different face makeup.

Also motion capture for cgi Zelensky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Remember Prigozhin also thought it was a good idea to create fake videos of his men executing their own comrades with sledgehammers for some extremely nebulous reason. He is very Musk-esque in how he presents his company.

he is really a poster's poster if that newest meltdown is fake

'comrade shoigu, i will be making fake video to prank yankees. i will say mean mean things about you, but don't worry, we are friends is only a prank!'

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

:letsgo:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

steven, thank you

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

would (watch)

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Georgians can say the n-word, not polish.

The first leader of independant Haiti, Jean-Jacques Dessalines, gave them a n-word pass, calling Poles "the White Negroes of Europe".

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Christ, I don't think Ukraine realizes how much they've hosed up if they've managed to awaken The Beast*. I hope Zelensky's been counting his chickens, because they're about to come home to roost!

* Steven Seagall

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I think you lose the pass if you describe your country as the Christ of Europe

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Christ, I don't think Ukraine realizes how much they've hosed up if they've managed to awaken The Beast*. I hope Zelensky's been counting his chickens, because they're about to come home to roost!

* Steven Seagall

we're, uuuh, not sending our best

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
More explosions in Sevastopol- seems strange that Ukraine is more interested in bombing Crimea than “liberating” it...

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Cpt_Obvious posted:

fat seagal trying to load a 150mm artillery shell. So many editing cuts.

I don't think Seagal does anything in his movies anymore. He shows up, then acts like the mentor or something to a younger actor does all the action scenes. Seagal sits in a chair for most of a movie now.

I'll still watch clips of this SMO movie.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I want to see Steven Seagal as the only 70 year old lieutenant in the Russian army

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

prisoner conscript

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Weka posted:

The first leader of independant Haiti, Jean-Jacques Dessalines, gave them a n-word pass, calling Poles "the White Negroes of Europe".

*extremely John Lennon voice*

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

First movie I've been excited to watch in years.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Lol I hadn't heard about that. However

Only registered members can see post attachments!

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Weka posted:

Just as a side note re the racialized nature of Intelligenzaktion, Poland after WW2 was very ethnically homogenous (like it is now) so it's not like there was much of a population of non-Polish intellectuals as a repository of organizational knowledge within Polish society.

as I understand it, it was racialized in the typical nazi way, as in drawing internal distinctions between which ethnic poles were better candidates for germanization based on insane nazi logic

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJO6ya4ezIA

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Weka posted:

Lol I hadn't heard about that. However

The hell

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Seagal: I'll send you to the bank, Mr. Zelenskyy.

The cum bank!

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Weka posted:

Just as a side note re the racialized nature of Intelligenzaktion, Poland after WW2 was very ethnically homogenous (like it is now) so it's not like there was much of a population of non-Polish intellectuals as a repository of organizational knowledge within Polish society.

Yeah, this. It was racialized in terms of Poles being Slavic and the nazis just wanting to murder/subjugate/deport Slavs

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Senior Ukrainian officials fear counterattack may not live up to hype

quote:

“The expectation from our counteroffensive campaign is overestimated in the world,” Ukrainian Defense Minister Oleksii Reznikov said in an interview this past week. “Most people are … waiting for something huge,” he added, which he fears may lead to “emotional disappointment.”

Certainly the troops will be disappointed if they don't reach moscow by june!

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

after seeing all those Space Ice reviews of his movies on YouTube, I can only wonder where he'll work a strip club scene into this one

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Psycho Society posted:

I'm warming to the idea that the counterattack will be in the Bakhmut axis. Going by the maps in that article, Russians don't have a ton of fortifications built in the area. You also don't have terrain issues like you would attacking from Kherson. From a propaganda standpoint, reversing the minimal gains Russia made over the winter and liberating Soledar would have a reasonable impact, enough to make an argument that the West should keep providing aid.

Every other angle would likely be sending Ukrainian troops into a buzzsaw for minimal to no gains.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

https://twitter.com/chancetherapper/status/1268259054406828032?lang=en

Take the time to do some reading. The thread above is really good about the parallels. I’m not a Christian and don’t believe the son of Mary died but I understand why the story of the crucifixition appeals to a lot of black liberation theologists.

https://read.dukeupress.edu/tikkun/article-abstract/27/4/58/91504/Black-Liberation-Theology-and-the-Lynching-of?redirectedFrom=fulltext

PawParole has issued a correction as of 05:57 on May 7, 2023

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

1stGear posted:

Every other angle would likely be sending Ukrainian troops into a buzzsaw for minimal to no gains.

enough about a lack of material gains, what about emotional gains??

edit: chance is right

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Seagal: I'll send you to the bank, Mr. Zelenskyy.

The cum bank!

More like:

Seagal: Illsenuuto'abank, (deep breath, wheeze) meesterz'lensee

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1stGear posted:

I'm warming to the idea that the counterattack will be in the Bakhmut axis. Going by the maps in that article, Russians don't have a ton of fortifications built in the area. You also don't have terrain issues like you would attacking from Kherson. From a propaganda standpoint, reversing the minimal gains Russia made over the winter and liberating Soledar would have a reasonable impact, enough to make an argument that the West should keep providing aid.

The terrain issue is attacking into a ruined city which is a ready made fortification

Delta-Wye posted:

enough about a lack of material gains, what about emotional gains??

edit: chance is right

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
coach redpill had someone clarify the chinese ambassador to france comments re: sovereignty of the baltics. apparently, the french interviewer was shittalking mao and the chinese ambassador was trying to make the point that states emerge in an extra-legal context (by definition) and that if you applied the same standard to the baltics, their sovereignty would also be in question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?XHUMk1JGrqY&t=6831s

also rip coach redpill who's in jail or something?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
man the "wagner is retreating, they're out of ammo!!" thing is picking up speed. apparently kadyrov's going to snipe them all as they retreat and russia's military is going to block wagner in. like, what? and wouldn't that be a good thing anyway?

how can they run out of ammo anyway? weren't they being slaughtered to the man as they clambered over the piled-high wagner dead, armed only with shovels?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
^^ I personally am open to the idea that Wagner got hosed up while completing their task of winning Bakhmut. Maybe the stories about plucky Ukrainian defenders machine gunning down hundreds of Wagner penal battalion troops were true?

Psycho Society posted:

Isn't Reznikov one of the people who was banging on about how Crimea is coming home all last winter? who's fault is it that the hype exists motherfucker

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 07:19 on May 7, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Delta-Wye posted:

he is really a poster's poster if that newest meltdown is fake

'comrade shoigu, i will be making fake video to prank yankees. i will say mean mean things about you, but don't worry, we are friends is only a prank!'

or maybe he is an elon musk tier poster and the russians are doing the smart thing of putting the mercenaries up first to pay them less.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Slavvy posted:

The terrain issue is attacking into a ruined city which is a ready made fortification

I would assume the Ukrainians would focus on the flanks and try to encircle the city instead, but who knows.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
weren't the thinkpieces and twitter types calling kadyrov's guys "putin's sardaukar" last year? when they took mariupol and killed the azov heroes? but now them moving into bakhmut is good because they're weaker than wagner? it's like FF has noted. if you actually pay attention to what's being said, you'll just go insane.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Horizon Burning posted:

weren't the thinkpieces and twitter types calling kadyrov's guys "putin's sardaukar" last year? when they took mariupol and killed the azov heroes? but now them moving into bakhmut is good because they're weaker than wagner? it's like FF has noted. if you actually pay attention to what's being said, you'll just go insane.

yeah it was noted in the western press that the Chechens participated in the early stages of the Bakhmut offensive and then were removed to prepare for some undisclosed assignment in the future. Now the Wagnerites who have been struggling for Bakhmut the last 6 months are being withdrawn and replaced by the Chechens apparently..

I did have the thought today that this seems like a fairly typical rotation of weary troops for fresh ones.. which the Russians are known to practice in contrast to the Ukrainians who seem to just leave their units on the front until they are too reduced to continue..

This war is so insane though it's impossible to say what the meaning of anything is until we see what consequences arise from the situation..

Weka
May 5, 2019

PawParole posted:

https://twitter.com/chancetherapper/status/1268259054406828032?lang=en

Take the time to do some reading. The thread above is really good about the parallels. I’m not a Christian and don’t believe the son of Mary died but I understand why the story of the crucifixition appeals to a lot of black liberation theologists.

https://read.dukeupress.edu/tikkun/article-abstract/27/4/58/91504/Black-Liberation-Theology-and-the-Lynching-of?redirectedFrom=fulltext

Is there some American use of "lynching" that's not "extrajudicial execution" and is more racially focused?

speng31b posted:

as I understand it, it was racialized in the typical nazi way, as in drawing internal distinctions between which ethnic poles were better candidates for germanization based on insane nazi logic

Would you care to expand on this at all, like what groups or if you can remember where you read this?

Slavvy posted:

The hell

Black Madonnas are pretty popular in Europe but this one is notable for being the medieval version of those reconditioned Spanish paintings where an old Byzantine icon was damaged and the repairers didn't understand the wax based painting method so couldn't do a touch up and just scraped everything off and started again. Some say it's Poland's most important religious artifact!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wagner has been fighting in Bakhmut for months. It's possible that they're hors de combat even if they weren't particularly bad (or the Ukrainians particularly good)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe Wagner are pulling out for you know, a break, and the regulars are covering while they get some R&R, fresh boots, etc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Getting their shovels sharpened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Starsfan posted:

this seems like a fairly typical rotation of weary troops for fresh ones