Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
It's a neat coincidence that both Old Val and New Val are scouting the Welsh periphery on their lonesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

So I hear that Brooke is Back?

Macanudo

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Most of the time, I eventually end up biting the bullet on things posted here and clicking spoiler links.

Not today. So thank you all for keeping it spoiler'd.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Samovar posted:

Most of the time, I eventually end up biting the bullet on things posted here and clicking spoiler links.

Not today. So thank you all for keeping it spoiler'd.

Usually a good call where 9CL is concerned.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My two cents on 9CL is that it doesn't really need to be posted here again. People a couple threads back made the wise choice to excise 9CL after Brooke made those strips of Amos and Edda constantly loving in front of their newborn babies (who were also sentient and judging their parents' performance).

I dunno if it's just me, but 9CL is kind of boring [i]because[/i ] it's too consistent in being gross and horny? It'd be one thing if there were some other story details to pick through, but it's only ever an old white man writing whatever gets his rocks off in a very pretentious way. It just doesn't feel like a fun hateread compared to the other strips. Like one where the author's a boomer who has no idea how college students act or think that millennials should be held in contempt, it's not a strip with a ton of fun drama that's let down by the author dragging out the storyline forever, it's not some incomprehensible hellworld where metaphors are mangled as much as animals, and it's not a legacy strip taken up by a younger author who either does the same joke for months or quickly runs out of steam in storytelling.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I thought I got the strip but after reading that not only is it confirmed but it's at least 1000x funnier!

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

amigolupus posted:

My two cents on 9CL is that it doesn't really need to be posted here again. People a couple threads back made the wise choice to excise 9CL after Brooke made those strips of Amos and Edda constantly loving in front of their newborn babies (who were also sentient and judging their parents' performance).

I dunno if it's just me, but 9CL is kind of boring [i]because[/i ] it's too consistent in being gross and horny? It'd be one thing if there were some other story details to pick through, but it's only ever an old white man writing whatever gets his rocks off in a very pretentious way. It just doesn't feel like a fun hateread compared to the other strips. Like one where the author's a boomer who has no idea how college students act or think that millennials should be held in contempt, it's not a strip with a ton of fun drama that's let down by the author dragging out the storyline forever, it's not some incomprehensible hellworld where metaphors are mangled as much as animals, and it's not a legacy strip taken up by a younger author who either does the same joke for months or quickly runs out of steam in storytelling.

And when Brooke isn't being horny, he's using WWII era slurs and getting booted from newspapers.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
9CL is never going to top the interminable "Grandma's story about loving a Nazi" for hateread potential.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers could stand to do a little yoga now and then

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

FoxTrot

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It'll be a cold day in hell before I acknowledge a non-Slylock/Cassandra OTP. Speaking of horny doodles it has been over half a year and there is a greasy hole in our hearts with The Creeps finishing a run so:

Jucika (yoo-si-ka) by Hungarian Pál Pusztai ran from 1957 to 1970, "featuring a young, independent woman, frequently in risqué situations." It was rediscovered by the internet and the quality of humor and risqué situations made it a cult classic. It can be read in full at Jucika Daily and Jucika In Order, both on Twitter.

"1 - Jucika and Mud"

"2 - Jucika Goes To The Theater."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Doomykins posted:

It'll be a cold day in hell before I acknowledge a non-Slylock/Cassandra OTP.

they must be siblings

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Hwurmp posted:

they must be siblings

:hai:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

~Coxy posted:

Macanudo

Joke's on you - this is also Brooke's fetish.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Doomykins posted:

It'll be a cold day in hell before I acknowledge a non-Slylock/Cassandra OTP. Speaking of horny doodles it has been over half a year and there is a greasy hole in our hearts with The Creeps finishing a run so:

Jucika (yoo-si-ka) by Hungarian Pál Pusztai ran from 1957 to 1970, "featuring a young, independent woman, frequently in risqué situations." It was rediscovered by the internet and the quality of humor and risqué situations made it a cult classic. It can be read in full at Jucika Daily and Jucika In Order, both on Twitter.

"1 - Jucika and Mud"

"2 - Jucika Goes To The Theater."

Yay, Jucika's back! :neckbeard:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

~Coxy posted:

N...n...noooo. That's not what I was...oh wait, there's more.

~Coxy posted:

Macanudo

Nice one. But now I need to go and pray.

Anyway, there's a podcast called 9 Chickweed Rage, where two people adjacent to the Bob's Burgers universe read 9CL strips and try really, really hard to not be permanently scarred by the experience. Knock yourself out with that, I guess.

More cartoons! These posts have been technically Chickweed-free since 2021.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (May 16, 1976)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa!

Popeye

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 7, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/6/03

Brenda Starr 12/4-6/50

Smokey Stover 7/4/54

Everyday Movies 5/24/36

"My doctor sez I gotta have more milk and fruit in my diet -- so I think I'll have some peach pie with chocolate ice cream."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/2-4/41

Spoilered because Stamm hasn't gotten any better at drawing black people. For those who don't want to look: a janitor comes in to sweep up and discovers one of the orange bombs under a machine pedal, and with that to help her Scarlet finds the others, grabs the first orange from the janitor, and runs out of the factory.

I'm not sure why Scarlet thinks she needs to run with the bombs, anyway. They don't have timers attached -- although if they did, would they be clockwork oranges?

Selachian fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 7, 2023

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I mentioned it earlier but for anybody who missed it I'm switching up how I post Peanuts. The number of daily comics is going up to 2 and every Sunday we will jump forward a year. I figure this will be a fun way to watch how the strip evolves over time.

Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Oct 2-3, 1950)

I love these first few strips so much. Kids are always kind of assholes in the Peanutsverse but early on the strip is particularly blunt about it in a really funny way.

Calvin and Hobbes (May 25-26, 1993)

Big Nate

Dunce

And with that we're finally done with the robot for a while.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
[quote="readingatwork" post=""531696767"]

Crabgrass

[/quote]

Many years later…
https://www.tumblr.com/tofuttibreak/279195443?source=share

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

readingatwork posted:

Peanuts Through the Ages (Oct 2-3, 1950)

I love these first few strips so much. Kids are always kind of assholes in the Peanutsverse but early on the strip is particularly blunt about it in a really funny way.

:yeah:

Early Peanuts is god drat great. I think my favourite is also from quite early in the run. Someone saying they've heard a lot about Charlie Brown, him going "good things I hope ha ha ha ha" and then just looking real upset in the last panel when nobody says anything"

Spoilered in case this is someone's first Peanuts run.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Puppet Master

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

My record is the light came off and on for two years.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Was this a Brenda Starr tribute?

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

MUDDY BOOTS IS BACK, BABY!

Andertoons

Now's a good time to remind everyone Mother's Day is next Sunday (US).

Flash Gordon

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

MUDDY BOOTS IS BACK, BABY!

Okay, this got a laugh out of me. Also I honesty did like this current arc of Rex Morgan:shrug:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

While it's still in the solar system!
Batiuk that's not how asteroids work!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Spoilered in case this is someone's first Peanuts run.

I’m only posting about 2 weeks of strips per year of the comic so it’s entirely possible we’ll skip over specific examples. Feel free to post strips I miss if you particularly enjoy them.

Also I was going to say you can probably discuss the oldest and most well known comic strip on the planet without spoiler tags but after thinking it over I’ve decided it’s way funnier the other way around. As such I’m unilaterally declaring with the authority I totally have that all events in Peanuts past the date I’ve last posted should be considered spoilers and be handled as such. This includes future jokes and plot lines, the existence of characters not yet introduced, and ongoing character quirks. Please be considerate of your fellow posters who may not yet know that Schroeder exists or that Charlie Brown doesn’t die at the end.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 7, 2023

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

readingatwork posted:

Please be considerate of your fellow posters who may not yet know that Schroeder exists or that at the end of the strip Charlie Brown doesn’t die at the end.

I mean, look, the strip may not say that, but the image freezing on Charlie Brown and Snoopy running from cover guns blazing and hearing the sounds of the Bolivian army firing I feel like it's pretty well implied.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

The narrative gets a bit confusing here. Apparently Into needs to bring those loggers to get invited to the wedding even though he seemed welcome earlier. Also he randomly guesses that Tukkipokki will be there (and is correct).

Nancy

Dustin

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 9/4-6/50

Archie 4/24-26/47

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

As much as we all appreciate all the scanning and translating and such, nobody expects posting comic strips to be anyone's #1 priority. Hope all your wacky life stuff worked out okay.
Thanks! Said wacky life stuff was getting to know that I have 1 day instead of 1 month to finish up my thesis. Bad news: I worked really hard on it and tired myself out real bad. Good news: my thesis is done! :toot:

Fingerpori

ANSU

I scanned this in two parts together with some other stuff and the stitch-up job was a bit weaker than usual.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

From Tauhid Bondia's instagram, Kevin & Miles appeared in another Jumble for Kids. The Jumbles regular artists drew them:

Tauhid Bondia posted:

In case you missed it Crabgrass made another appearance in the Daily Jumble! Big thanks to Jeff and David. Love what you did with the boys 😎😁

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Kit + The Wolf

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Another page that required me to draw from pages only lightly pencilled into my artistic playbook after a quarter century.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

And we start a new issue of Popcom today!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for May 5, 1927! And we start with LJ Holton:

Marge:

Ned Hilton:

Walter Van Arsdale:

James Montgomery Flagg pops the clutch and tells the world to eat his dust:

And Don Herold with an introduction to the world that made Brooke McEldowney:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Somebody posted the original on Twitter and I felt compelled to make this edit.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

readingatwork posted:

Somebody posted the original on Twitter and I felt compelled to make this edit.

Both of these are hilarious :lol:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Do Not "Have To Hand" This Resolution To Holbrook Because He Wrote The drat Thing To Begin With

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse