Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Might as well bring this up again, I’m still not sure why forum pages are treated as infinite lists instead of pages like they are on the actual forums. I frequently get issues where I scroll down a forum and it refreshes at the bottom and a thread with new posts gets flinged to the top of the whole list so now I have to scroll all the way up to find that thread under so many pinned threads.

Also leper’s colony should have pages too like it does on the site. Not only does it take ages to load as it is, it’s a pain to have it scroll on and on instead of having pages like it does on the site.

I see this nearly all the time when I tap a quote to go back to the original post. It flings all over the place and rarely to the actual quoted post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

I see this nearly all the time when I tap a quote to go back to the original post. It flings all over the place and rarely to the actual quoted post.

I think what you’re hitting is an issue with late-loading content in the web view making the “scroll to” location incorrect.

Stare-Out is describing a design choice about pagination, which I think I agree with (even as acclimated I am to the current behaviour).

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
thankfully you can turn off the pull for next page thing, check your settings

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, to be clear, should I be comfortable posting pictures directly through Awful App or should I be uploading pictures to my Imgur account first?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I don't know

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Iirc it’s in theory fine as the app has its own Imgur account/api key. This is usually a point of annoyance as it hits capacity and frequently doesn’t work but in this specific instance is fine as images uploaded through it aren’t subject to the upcoming purge. This said you should probably consider alternatives. It’s pretty easy to set up a shortcut to upload an image to a site and get a img link back to post.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
i had believed that while Awful was uploading via their API, the uploads were treated as anonymous..

could definitely use clarification on that.

otherwise lpix.org is goon run and allows direct linking here. works fine in safari.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Huh, I’d be interested to know too. Does Imgur’s API allow for anonymous access? It’s pretty atypical to not at least require some kind of account to prevent spam/abuse and you’d think it would auto associate with them to the uploaded. That said their whole thing was “just upload” forever so that wouldn’t surprise me too much if you could. I may have to go take a look at their docs if I get some time.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i'm 90% sure the API key would be tied to an account which would be associated with all the images uploaded using it. but maybe not

astral
Apr 26, 2004

imgur API keys are tied to an application, not to a user account. An application can support different user accounts.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So that begs the question from Pokey and/or our other intrepid dev goons on whether the current API calls are configured to be associated with an account then. I suppose that’s just a matter of poking around the repo but a swift developer I ain’t and also :effort:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They are not, which is why we hit the limit periodically.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Subjunctive posted:

They are not, which is why we hit the limit periodically.
Would it be possible to get a token from a personal account that the app then uses for imgur posts? Seems like a good alternative, if possible.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah I think the app could let people register an account key for their use, but they’d have to do it over every time they logged in because Awful doesn’t keep any state across logouts.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

astral posted:

imgur API keys are tied to an application, not to a user account. An application can support different user accounts.

yeah, doing the OAuth dance and getting the proper token for a signed in account uploads images to your account (and increases the given upload limit for that user). Unauthenticated calls are all in one bucket, and it's very small.

Setting it up isn't _that_ hard, but doing the logistics of setting it up (You sign into SA, you then sign into Imgur, if you sign out of SA will that sign you out of your Imgur account? etc) takes time and energy.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Hi,

I’ve noticed that when connected via Wi-Fi in certain places I can’t use the app. This is the message I get. What does it mean and can I fix it! On an iPhone 7.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

monkeytennis posted:

Hi,

I’ve noticed that when connected via Wi-Fi in certain places I can’t use the app. This is the message I get. What does it mean and can I fix it! On an iPhone 7.

That means whoever is hosting the Wi-Fi is trying to do VERY VERY BAD things and peek at your private communications. Do not use that Wi-Fi network AT ALL.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Arivia posted:

That means whoever is hosting the Wi-Fi is trying to do VERY VERY BAD things and peek at your private communications. Do not use that Wi-Fi network AT ALL.

Crumbs really? Lol it’s a chain of coffee shops in the UK

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or the Wi-Fi is sending you a non-ssl login/EULA gateway page where the app expects an ssl forums page.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
neverssl.com to the rescue

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

withak posted:

Or the Wi-Fi is sending you a non-ssl login/EULA gateway page where the app expects an ssl forums page.

this is more likely, try opening something in a browser first

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Any idea what would cause the Awful app to have “background activity” pretty much all day and overnight? This is on an iPhone 8, iOS 16.4.1. I have browsed a decent amount over the past day, so I don’t think it’s just sitting with a single embedded Twitter video passively running or anything like that.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
so what's the plan to deal with the imgur situation?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

`Nemesis posted:

so what's the plan to deal with the imgur situation?

https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/8/23713128/something-awful-imgur-download-caper-digital-preservation-photo-hosting

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That doesn’t deal with the upload-from-Awful situation, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

It's sucked forever, just make a shortcut to upload to your Imgur account

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Subjunctive posted:

this is what i am asking about.

the app uploads anonymously to imgur and people are actively using it, which will continue to be an issue for the site until that stops.

Endless Mike posted:

It's sucked forever, just make a shortcut to upload to your Imgur account

i've used it exclusively for a long time, and its worked great for over a year, zero issues.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think I've had a success rate under 10% so i just stopped wasting my time

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Here ya go OP:

Works as well as you could hope, isn’t bound by the app’s API limits, won’t result in your pig testicle photos getting purged*.

*Maybe.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
i am not seeking a solution just for me, everyone who is using the app to upload pictures is furthering the overall problem that Astral and volunteers are working to solve. at some point they are not going to continue to go back and check for new imgur links, but anyone using the app can and will still be generating them.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Warbird posted:

Here ya go OP:

Works as well as you could hope, isn’t bound by the app’s API limits, won’t result in your pig testicle photos getting purged*.

*Maybe.

Decent enough solution. Not for everyone, but worth looking into if you already have an Imgur account.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Warbird posted:

Here ya go OP:

*Maybe.

For whatever reason my shortcut stopped working a while ago. It looks just like this too

Edit: ok I guess it works again??

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

`Nemesis posted:

i am not seeking a solution just for me, everyone who is using the app to upload pictures is furthering the overall problem that Astral and volunteers are working to solve. at some point they are not going to continue to go back and check for new imgur links, but anyone using the app can and will still be generating them.

this.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Development in general seems kind of stalled so I don’t think we’re getting much of anything anytime soon. Anyone posting anything of note via Imgur will likely get yelled at to rehost it elsewhere. I need to see if there is a decent self hosted solution I could make use of at some point.

MarcusSA posted:

For whatever reason my shortcut stopped working a while ago. It looks just like this too

Edit: ok I guess it works again??

Dog

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Warbird posted:

Development in general seems kind of stalled so I don’t think we’re getting much of anything anytime soon. Anyone posting anything of note via Imgur will likely get yelled at to rehost it elsewhere. I need to see if there is a decent self hosted solution I could make use of at some point.

Dog

it would be cool as hell if someone yelled at me every time i posted an imgur image because there's no way to tell if it was uploaded anonymously or not

edit: youre probably talking about big old mega threads or lets plays or whatever. i'm sorry. i'm just messin around

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4001543&pagenumber=602#post531813825

has an embedded video that trashes the thread display. The linked post just becomes a post with no content and long length, possibly infinite but it's hitting a limit somewhere. I can scroll but tapping menus or avatars doesn't work. I can back out to bookmarks and forum view and try to go into other threads but they just sit and never display though the thread marks as read when I do that. Force quitting and relaunching the app makes it work again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s a TikTok embed and it’s working fine here on the TestFlight version.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s a TikTok embed and it’s working fine here on the TestFlight version.

it's an mp4 hosted by tumblr

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Works for me on the beta too, but I can’t open the video view; I get a network error instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I opened an issue on github about the imgur problem: https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app/issues/1163

Cross-posted to the main iOS developer thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3400187&pagenumber=352&perpage=40#post531893484

Hopefully someone with a mac (not me) and iOS chops can help here