Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Grand Fromage posted:

Spent three hours getting the game working again so I can play for two weeks before it all breaks. I'm smart.

Could be worse. You could have started a lets play of it several weeks before it all breaks. :shepicide:

Can't wait for my mods to break come the 23rd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

DoubleNegative posted:

Could be worse. You could have started a lets play of it several weeks before it all breaks. :shepicide:

Lol... what's your YT channel? Maybe I'll watch some!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

It's not a video style one, but if you want to read along here you go.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm definitely not collecting screenshots thinking about doing a LP of it myself. Nope...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm definitely not collecting screenshots thinking about doing a LP of it myself. Nope...

The more the merrier I say! There can never be enough pretty city screenshots on the forums.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DoubleNegative posted:

The more the merrier I say! There can never be enough pretty city screenshots on the forums.

Yeah if I post one it'll be pretty different from what you're doing. And not like there's a story to spoil.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Please do continue making LPs for me to follow, because I gave up on playing this game a year and a half ago for the aforementioned reasons.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope in Skylines 2 they have a proper modding API so that everything doesn't break with updates.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That's not really how Paradox rolls.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They at least allow modders access before release so updates are quick. And Compatibility Report makes it easy to deal with busted mods. It could be a lot worse.

At least this is the last time. I expect I'll get CS2 on release and play it a bit, then go back to CS until the modding scene for 2 is up to speed.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Is it a likely outcome that the release of C:S2 will herald the long term stability of C:S DLC and mods, or should we expect that there will still be a long tail of sporadic updates that nevertheless break everything occasionally?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What breaks things are new DLCs, not patches or content packs. And according to the studio, this mini one in a couple weeks is the final DLC.

Colossal Order is still a fairly small studio, I think they have 30 people now (they made CS with eight or nine) so I kinda doubt they'll do much with the original game except maybe patches.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Now that they are on sale what are the best expansions?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eifert Posting posted:

Now that they are on sale what are the best expansions?

It depends on what you're interested in, but also Mass Transit.

Parklife, Industries, Campus and Airports add little zones that you micromanage by adding buildings to them to level up those zones in order to unlock more buildings. Industries is probably the most involved, adding some very simple Annoish resource management and supply chains. People seem to really like Parklife and Industries, while Campus addresses one of the dumbest aspects of the vanilla game. Parklife also has some tourism stuff in it. I couldn't really tell you about Airports.

Natural Disasters adds natural disasters, helicopters, disaster relief/preparedness, a way to rebuild burned down buildings and I think maybe scenario mode. What disasters can appear depends on the map, however, and I imagine that a lot of people who upload maps to the workshop turn of most/all of them. It seems like it's alright if you're into that kind of stuff.

Snowfall's main feature is adding trams to the game. It also adds maps which are snowy (and only snowy, while the rest of the maps will never be snowy) and a temperature mechanic where buildings need to be heated when it gets cold (on any map), either with electricity or warm water or something which can be kind of interesting. But it's mostly trams.

After Dark exists. It adds hotel and I guess night themed commercial specializations. I don't believe that the hotels are actually functional and, by default, the day night cycle doesn't impact the simulation at all. There's also an upcoming DLC which is re implementing hotels in a different and maybe less bad way, so...? After Dark also adds taxis, which don't work that well. Unfortunately it also adds roads with bus and bicycle lanes, an actual functional bus station and a few other transportation buildings. And prisons, but those also don't work that well. Like I guess if you really want bus and bicycle lanes it'd be worthwhile.

Sunset Harbors just kind of exists as well. It adds marinas that will spawn fishing boats that sail along a predefined route that you set for them while they collect fish. It adds a building that spawns civilian single prop aircraft and maybe some other buildings that you can make in the water. It also adds intercity buses, which don't really add much of anything to the game but I guess that's maybe cool?

Green Cities and Financial Districts are basically building packs with features added on top to ensure that you see those buildings less. I think that Financial Districts adds some stock exchange thing that you can use to make money very easily. Neither are probably worth it.

Plazas and Promenades adds pedestrian streets and pedestrian only zones on those streets. It seems kind of not super well implemented or integrated into the game and from what I understand you can't mix Parklife/Campus/Industries areas with pedestrian streets for some reason.

There are various content creator packs that add buildings. Some of them are nice enough I think.

Overall I'd recommend Mass Transit and Parklife/Industries/Campus if the idea of micromanaging your city more appeals to you or you want to have universities that don't house 5000 students in a single city block. I'm not sure how much I'd recommend them just because I feel like their implementation sucks, since they exist in these weird bubbles within the simulation, but they're the least bad DLCs. Snowfall is kind of worth it for trams. Natural Disasters seems alright if you want to mess with natural disasters.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 14, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

After Dark: Bike/bus lane roads.

Snowfall: Trams.

Natural Disasters: Unless you want disasters I don't think this adds anything.

Mass Transit: Mandatory. Adds transit stuff.

Green Cities: I believe this adds the less polluting ways to deal with water and trash so I use it a lot.

Parklife: Designing parks is fun, mandatory.

Industries: The way this works is pretty wacky but I always build the industries in my cities, so I'd get this. The large factories and such are a lot better looking than zoned industry.

Campus: I want to like this one but I find the way campuses work and the leveling to be weirdly difficult, not in a this is a challenge way but in a wondering if it's bugged way. I still end up trying to make the universities work so I suppose it's a buy.

Sunset Harbor: Adds some more transit stuff so worth getting.

Airports: Seems fine, I haven't gotten it.

Plazas and Promenades: Finally adding pedestrian infrastructure is good, but the way it works is extremely stupid so I skipped this. Just use TM:PE to make pedestrian roads.

There are some smaller ones like the one that adds banks and a stock market, I haven't bothered with any of those. Content creator packs are fine if there's something you're interested in. Obviously the workshop is full of stuff, but I do think it's cool that the studio got modders to make packs and they can get paid, so I've picked up a few of these. None of them add features as far as I know, just assets.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

To add onto what Grand Fromage said,

Campus: Unlike every other type of specialty area, university areas can de level. Also, the maximum tier is next to impossible to hit and almost entirely impossible to maintain. You also need to keep dumping large sums of cash into it to get one of the resources needed to level them up. It's not worth it at all. Hard pass on this.

Airports: Airport areas are fun enough to build, but you can't make a profit until you max out the area and are allowed to start your own airline. Maybe get this one.

Plazas and Promenades: This lets you make entire neighborhoods that are pedestrian only. It also features wall to wall specialization, which acts like medium density zoning. Like the name suggests, the buildings get crammed together to create a dense, inner-city environment. I personally love these, so I strongly recommend this DLC.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Anyone got any advice on the Content Creator packs? I'd quite like to mix up the appearance of what's in my cities. I guess I could go for mods on Steam but that seems like an awful amount of hassle when for a few quid (especially on sale) I can get something pre-packaged. The problem is I read the Steam reviews of various different ones and they're all mostly "mixed" in response. People claiming the DLCs don't work, or only affect certain types of development. I'd just like a bit of variety in my town.

Edit: And I just had a massive health crisis. I had to load and even reload a few times to sort it out. My health dropped from about 86% to the 20s in a matter of seconds, and I could find no reason for it. There was no build up of sick citizens, there was no pollution problem, garbage problem, no dead people piling up. It just tanked.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 16, 2023

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Mrenda posted:

Anyone got any advice on the Content Creator packs?

Content Creator packs won't add many new mechanics to the game, I think they're almost completely aesthetic. A few of them will have different service building shapes - for example, Hearts of Korea has some very small police and fire departments that will fit better into tight spaces. So with that said, look at some screenshots of the assets on a wiki or something first, and see if they'll fit into your builds/offer inspiration.

My favorite content creator packs are:
- University City and Shopping Malls both add a lot of commercial diversity
- Modern Japan has a nice mix of commercial-looking parks and some amazing skyscrapers/office buildings for a downtown
- European Suburbia is one I scoffed at originally, but the residential areas with this setting are some of the best looking in the game
- Trains also has a few really good stations (metros too!)

One caveat: I use a couple of mods that let me place growables: a curated building experience lets you get a lot of mileage out of the content packs. (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=924884948 + FindIt!)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah the content creator packs are just whatever appeals to you. The bad reviews are because Paradox is charging money for stuff you can get for free on the workshop and people get mad about it. Since it doesn't replace the workshop and they're all community produced it seems fine to me, I don't mind modders getting paid.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Thanks, both of you. I'll just pick up what I like the look of. More variety in my doll house will be great.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I just went stupid with DLC. I spent more on DLC over the past two days than I did when I picked up a big Humble Bundle a few years back (and it turned out my computer couldn't really handle the game.)

I'm at a bit of a loss with what to do now though.

This is my city as it stands, and it's quite compact. I have two squares opened up. Ideally I'd build up some cash reserves and open up the two squares to the north. Then I'd establish an outside world rail link for both cargo and passengers. In the north-west I'd build some farming land then transition towards another residential zone getting further east and towards the river. I'd also buy the plot to the immediate west of my city, establish another highway link, and build residential and tourism all around the river.

I'm hesistant about buying up three plots of land though. My city is absolutely not a "rich city" and is still fairly small. I'd prefer to do things incrementally but I've hit a point where I really need to be planning developments with the long term view in mind. This isn't how I've been approaching things so far, which should be obvious. I decided to do a haphazard save because I wanted an interesting looking city, but that's coming back to haunt me now. And I can neither see how I slowly build out in manageable chunks, while also keeping the core/older parts of town working.

Edit: I can't even begin to imagine how I connect NE to SW without destroy a large part of the city, park and/or university.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 17, 2023

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mrenda posted:

I just went stupid with DLC. I spent more on DLC over the past two days than I did when I picked up a big Humble Bundle a few years back (and it turned out my computer couldn't really handle the game.)

This is my city as it stands, and it's quite compact. I have two squares opened up. Ideally I'd build up some cash reserves and open up the two squares to the north. Then I'd establish an outside world rail link for both cargo and passengers. In the north-west I'd build some farming land then transition towards another residential zone getting further east and towards the river. I'd also buy the plot to the immediate west of my city, establish another highway link, and build residential and tourism all around the river.

I'm hesistant about buying up three plots of land though. My city is absolutely not a "rich city" and is still fairly small. I'd prefer to do things incrementally but I've hit a point where I really need to be planning developments with the long term view in mind. This isn't how I've been approaching things so far, which should be obvious. I decided to do a haphazard save because I wanted an interesting looking city, but that's coming back to haunt me now. And I can neither see how I slowly build out in manageable chunks, while also keeping the core/older parts of town working.

Build a pedestrian bridge or two from the Rocky Heights Park to the industrial area to the right. Make sure to increase the park fee to the maximum. Replace the road below the park and the segment of road above the park to the left of the roundabout with one of the road-types that do not allow pedestrians.

Bam... no more money problems as that park will suddenly become a massive money machine. Lol..

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
If you have the Industries DLC, the light green area would probably make a good farming area.

The peninsula might have enough tree cover to support a forestry area.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

You can also paint wide swathes of the map with trees and that creates forestry resources. So you can spend a few thousand dollars planting pines and create a forestry location that way.

EDIT: And in case it matters to you, forestry resources are mutually exclusive with farm resources. So if you plant trees on fertile soil, it permanently removes the fertility under the tree.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mrenda posted:

Edit: I can't even begin to imagine how I connect NE to SW without destroy a large part of the city, park and/or university.

I know what's missing here.... where is the poop river? There should be a large brown plume of poop in your rivers!

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I started a new city, deciding to stick to a regular-ish old grid seeing as I've never actually gotten very far with a city. It's a lot easier (sort of) but it's also a lot less interesting to look at/navigate.

I'm still getting illness waves/deathwaves though. I think it's because of availability of medical facilities, or maybe access to them. There's no other obvious problem I can see causing them, and reloading a save and building more health clinics, and elder and child health clinics seems to abate them. I don't know what a warning sign is of one though. I watched it happen on a save once, the average health was around 93% and similar in breakdowns for the elderly and children, then it just started plummeting. Sure, I'd put in a few small zones, but not enough to go from 93% to 23% in a literal minute. Is there a trigger for this? Or something I can look at to warn me, because currently the number just crashes and I don't think anything is giving me warning.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Is your pumping station/water tower placed on polluted ground or water source?

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

DoubleNegative posted:

It's not a video style one, but if you want to read along here you go.

Bless. I'm actually prefer read along let's plays. Dunno why.

Grandfromage set the gold standard for build let's plays. His simcity series is my favourite.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mrenda posted:

I started a new city, deciding to stick to a regular-ish old grid seeing as I've never actually gotten very far with a city. It's a lot easier (sort of) but it's also a lot less interesting to look at/navigate.

I'm still getting illness waves/deathwaves though. I think it's because of availability of medical facilities, or maybe access to them. There's no other obvious problem I can see causing them, and reloading a save and building more health clinics, and elder and child health clinics seems to abate them. I don't know what a warning sign is of one though. I watched it happen on a save once, the average health was around 93% and similar in breakdowns for the elderly and children, then it just started plummeting. Sure, I'd put in a few small zones, but not enough to go from 93% to 23% in a literal minute. Is there a trigger for this? Or something I can look at to warn me, because currently the number just crashes and I don't think anything is giving me warning.

If you're on PC then install the No Deathcare mod and never look back. It is a profoundly stupid mechanic.

If you're stuck with it then availability of medical facilities has nothing to do with deathwaves. If poopwater isn't the cause, they happen simply because you build big swaths of residental zones at once, and everyone that moves into them is the same age and dies at the same age.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
It wasn't poowater it was pollution water. I went with the water towers, but I don't know how they gather water (they're not really a thing here.) I thought I'd put one in an industrial area to test it a while back but I think I but it just a bit too close to the forestry industry for it to pick up pollution, so when I put a second one in and it did hit pollution I wasn't sure where I was going wrong.

Finally figured it out. Still don't know how them towers actually amass water.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Magic or by draining the aquifer would be my guess.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mrenda posted:

It wasn't poowater it was pollution water. I went with the water towers, but I don't know how they gather water (they're not really a thing here.) I thought I'd put one in an industrial area to test it a while back but I think I but it just a bit too close to the forestry industry for it to pick up pollution, so when I put a second one in and it did hit pollution I wasn't sure where I was going wrong.

Finally figured it out. Still don't know how them towers actually amass water.

irl they're just elevated storage tanks that work with pumps to get water in from other sources in the system and let gravity push it out.

in cities skylines water just kind of appears in them

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

In at least Sim City 2000, water towers made sense, in that they actually stored water when you had a surplus production, and drained when you had in a deficit. In Cities Skylines they act as aquifer pumps and not as storage.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Mrenda posted:

I would start by building a bridge from the Tipple Quarter to the west, at the narrowest spot of the river. I'd build a small 'town' as a second core across the river and build out from there; it'll look a bit more natural if different centres grow into each other, and that'll allow you to build in manageable chunks.

For future growth, I'd probably run a highway (with landscaping for soundproofing!) from east to west just to the north of Founder's Park to cross your river and join your two highways. You could also run another one to the south of the current city (so, south of the river) to fill out the quadrangle of highways. Build industrial near the highways because that's where access is important. Don't worry too much about highway access to residential, commercial, and office areas; those are what mass transit is for.

If things (eventually!) get too crowded on your current westernmost square, you could run a N-S highway through it connecting those two new highways. I would suggest burying it, though; a couple of diamond interchanges coming up to ground level allow commercial traffic to get in without having to bulldoze half of your town. It will take a long time and a lot of money to do all this, but I find it helps to have a general plan and build stepwise to get up to it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

nielsm posted:

In at least Sim City 2000, water towers made sense, in that they actually stored water when you had a surplus production, and drained when you had in a deficit. In Cities Skylines they act as aquifer pumps and not as storage.
Alas such advanced programming has been lost to time.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I keep wanting to make an effort post about Skylines as a planner but I know the problems I have with these games puts me in the minority. Skylines 2 is probably gonna lean into the bonsai tree aspect again and I think that's probably what the city gamer is actually looking for?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's digital model railroading.

City planners talking about Skylines is a pretty rich field though. City Planner Plays on Youtube is the biggest one I think.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Minenfeld! posted:

I keep wanting to make an effort post about Skylines as a planner but I know the problems I have with these games puts me in the minority. Skylines 2 is probably gonna lean into the bonsai tree aspect again and I think that's probably what the city gamer is actually looking for?

The advertising has all said the opposite, the simulation is apparently much more in depth and realistic. Hopefully that's not CO overselling things.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

nielsm posted:

The purpose of a water tower isn't to store surplus water, it's to provide pressure to a distribution system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Nicodemus Dumps posted:

The purpose of a water tower isn't to store surplus water, it's to provide pressure to a distribution system

Your not wrong but neither are they.