Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jack the Lad posted:

It's wild that backers still bring that up to justify the current state of the game:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13266-Letter-From-The-Chairman-19-Million
:rubby: exactly the one I meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
sound
https://i.imgur.com/AS0On6u.mp4

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jack the Lad posted:

It's wild that backers still bring that up to justify the current state of the game:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13266-Letter-From-The-Chairman-19-Million

Pretty common skummy sales person tactic I think

Car dealers do it all the time too

Oh we can get that for you. We can deliver it tomorrow ! My manager says you’re first on the list !

Then a year later

Oh shoot sorry it got stuck on the boat. But it’s coming any day now

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It’s gonna eventually die and we are all gonna be like hahaha it was a scam and the true believers are gonna just handwave it about how it was just too beautiful a dream and he did his best and it was sabotaged.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

It’s gonna eventually die and we are all gonna be like hahaha it was a scam and the true believers are gonna just handwave it about how it was just too beautiful a dream and he did his best and it was sabotaged.

Yes

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

It’s never going to end. This scam will be passed down through the Roberts family and from current whales to their children forever.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Hi! I could take out a second mortgage on my house but, with high interest rates that are creeping up, I think I'll invest in pictures of space ships!

At least my family and children love me and I have their full support!

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

Oh, definitely. And if you feel old and weird now for knowing so much about what a clusterfuck Star Citizen is today, just imagine what it's going to feel like later on.

Probably within ten years of it failing, we'll start to see Star Citizen show up on "Greatest Games That Were Taken Away From Us Too Early" lists, and within 20 years nobody will even question the myth that a game with so much ambition was great, and certainly wasn't just an exceptionally bad partial skeleton of a game in a hacked-together CryEngine mod. There are screenshots that prove it was all real! Nobody could just burn off $500m+ over a decade and make something that wasn't great! Meanwhile, all of us will be in our rocking chairs trying to explain space doors and Chris Roberts and the moment when we all became pretty sure that Squadron 42 updates were just being generated by a ChatGPT instance running on a computer inside the broom closet labeled "Arena Commander Team." If we're lucky, we'll die right then.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I don't foresee that future coming about except in a few select places. The broader games media has just been dunking on Star Citizen for at least the last 6 years or so. That kind of revisionism would just not work.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Fidelitious posted:

I don't foresee that future coming about except in a few select places. The broader games media has just been dunking on Star Citizen for at least the last 6 years or so. That kind of revisionism would just not work.

Give it 10 years and it will be fodder for a new generation, with youtubes like 'Gaming's Greatest Failure You've Never Heard Of' or 'The Best Game That Almost Was'

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

:doink:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dialhforhero posted:

I am really curious about this as I have a 6600 and I get 75 fps average and no hitching. It rarely drips below 60fps even in serious combat or in huge environments.

I play on all high settings but I do play ray tracing off and at 1080p.

Maybe not try to play it with ray tracing at 4k?

So my review is the game is cool and good and a nice sequel to the first one.

The game it's a sequel to became unplayable toward the end because it was just terribly optimized. I couldn't get it to settings where it'd run and my specs were fine!

Good to see the sequel didn't learn to loving optimize poo poo for PC.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Random thought: has anyone ever tried to make Crobear play Outer Wilds ? He would probably quit his $560m Crysis mod.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Random thought: has anyone ever tried to make Crobear play Outer Wilds ? He would probably quit his $560m Crysis mod.

If CRobber played outer wilds, he would immediate use his vast and comprehensive understanding of physics to completely cock up how everything works, from the interplanetary travel to the quantum physics puzzles to the non-Euclidean spaces. He'd then immediately need to throw out his plot to replace it with an even more complex string-theory based storyline, just to show them, and whistle gameplay.

This will clearly require another 13 years to get started before the pipelines are in place, and for safety's sake, 7–8 more companies.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Do you mean Outer Wilds or The Outer Worlds?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nobody ever means the outer worlds unless they’re just making sure nobody means the outer worlds when they really meant the outer wilds

Outer worlds absolutely sucks

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nobody ever means the outer worlds unless they’re just making sure nobody means the outer worlds when they really meant the outer wilds

Outer worlds absolutely sucks

What a weird and wrong opinion. Outer Worlds was great.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I think they meant Outward.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Aramoro posted:

Total poo poo

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Aramoro posted:

Its cool to like what you like, but I dont think you'll find being down on outer worlds an uncommon opinion.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Aramoro posted:

It was mediocre at the absolutely most generous you could possibly get end of the scale.

A bunch of tiny maps with absolutely nothing to see off the critical path and no real decisions of any consequence throughout.

Fun fact, if you decide to do something most people would usually think of as roleplaying the Worst Possible Person and play the game by killing literally every character that you possibly can, you actually lock yourself into the ‘good’ ending path because the NPC for that ending is the only thing you can’t kill along the way because they’re always shut away out of reach.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fun fact, if you decide to do something most people would usually think of as roleplaying the Worst Possible Person and play the game by killing literally every character that you possibly can, you actually lock yourself into the ‘good’ ending path because the NPC for that ending is the only thing you can’t kill along the way because they’re always shut away out of reach.

See the games giving us good morals I think we can all learn form!

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Tippis posted:

If CRobber played outer wilds, he would immediate use his vast and comprehensive understanding of physics to completely cock up how everything works, from the interplanetary travel to the quantum physics puzzles to the non-Euclidean spaces. He'd then immediately need to throw out his plot to replace it with an even more complex string-theory based storyline, just to show them, and whistle gameplay.

This will clearly require another 13 years to get started before the pipelines are in place, and for safety's sake, 7–8 more companies.

Now that you mention it he would probably complain that you can’t « swim » in space and that the ride to your ship is way too short to be immersive. 0/10

(I did mean Outer Wilds)

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

It was mediocre at the absolutely most generous you could possibly get end of the scale.

A bunch of tiny maps with absolutely nothing to see off the critical path and no real decisions of any consequence throughout.

My two main memories of Outer Worlds is ending up with so much ammo I physically couldn't use it faster than I was getting it before I even hit the halfway point and the vast majority of perks being really basic stat buffs so by the end of the game I honestly didn't give a poo poo about leveling up because there was nothing exciting to get.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I remember being so bored by the characters and story I was skipping through all of it to get to the combat, but the combat was also very boring and so sparse that I just stopped

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Outer Worlds is Fine. Like, aggressively fine.

I think a lot of the disappointment around it was magnified by it being very much not a Fallout: New Vegas followup despite expectations that it would be. And look at it, it looks like Fallout in Space. But even taken on its own merits or compared against other games in the immersive sim genre, it's just Okay. In fact I'd even say the core controversy around the game is related to whether or not you even consider it an immersive sim considering it's linearity. Some people called it an adventure game wearing an immersive sim costume and that seems very on brand for the game.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mendrian posted:

I think a lot of the disappointment around it was magnified by it being very much not a Fallout: New Vegas followup despite expectations that it would be.

It probably wouldn’t have been as bad if all the marketing wasn’t focused almost entirely around FROM THE TEAM THAT MADE NEW VEGAS, REMEMBER NEW VEGAS? YOU loving LOVED NEW VEGAS, AND THESE GUYS? THESE GUYS MADE NEW VEGAS!!!!!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

i am a moron posted:

Total poo poo
Do you just loudly spout how you hate things without backing any of it up with fun media analysis all the time, or have I just seen you do it twice in the last ten minutes in two different threads and am making assumptions?

Nobody knows you. We don't care that you think something is total poo poo unless you can tell us why in an interesting way.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

LividLiquid posted:

Do you just loudly spout how you hate things without backing any of it up with fun media analysis all the time, or have I just seen you do it twice in the last ten minutes in two different threads and am making assumptions?

Nobody knows you. We don't care that you think something is total poo poo unless you can tell us why in an interesting way.

Oh my internet notoriety hasn’t preceded me? Sorry you like bad things, maybe if you read more of my posts you can figure out what’s wrong with your taste.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nobody cares who you are.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Tane

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

LividLiquid posted:

Nobody cares who you are.

Lmao

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Outer Worlds made me motion sick and I had to stop playing within 1-2 missions.

For some reason this happens to me with all Bethesda games. I don't generally have issues with motion sickness and I play a ton of games, but Bethesda games make me sick to my stomach. Not sure why.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The only game that's happened to me recently is Half Life 2. I got super dizzy after the airboat escape mission.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Have you tried playing through it? All smooth scrolling first person games make me nauseous. So one sadbrains day I was thinking of becoming bulimic and thought this would be a cool shortcut and fired up Amnesia: The Dark Descent, a game I'd never been able to play for more than 20 minutes due to nausea. Only made me barf once. After that it never made me nauseous again. :shrug:

Your brain can learn that the mismatch between your eyes and inner ear doesn't mean you're poisoned.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Kesper North posted:

Outer Worlds made me motion sick and I had to stop playing within 1-2 missions.

For some reason this happens to me with all Bethesda games. I don't generally have issues with motion sickness and I play a ton of games, but Bethesda games make me sick to my stomach. Not sure why.

I always have to crank up the FOV on Bethesda games to 105-110, they all seem to default to a barf-inducing claustrophobic level otherwise.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
There’s also that distinctive Bethesda style of art that makes it seem like their understanding of what a human looks comes from third hand information. I don’t know exactly what it is but you know it when you see it…

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Opioid posted:

There’s also that distinctive Bethesda style of art that makes it seem like their understanding of what a human looks comes from third hand information. I don’t know exactly what it is but you know it when you see it…

Oblivion definitely fits this description the most. Every NPC looks like their reference was a face drawn on a potato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

What gives 7 years of work on bartenders posted:

September 2017: "We now have both female and male bartenders working in various parts of the levels"

March 2018: " Finally, the Facial Animation Team was busy finalizing animations on various PU shopkeepers, bartenders"

April 2018: "kicked off R&D on the bartender and bartending functionality"

June 2018: "the team worked with design on further defining NPC behaviors like bartenders," "Work also progressed nicely on ensuring that bars in future releases feature a well-crafted and intelligent bartender"

August 2018: "The team is working closely with Design on the Bartender to help flesh out the flow – soon players will be able to walk up and order tasty drinks from a believable barkeep"

November 2018: "Work also continued on the bartender for Lorville." "The team is actively working on upcoming mission-givers, including Klim, along with ship dealers, bar patrons, and bartenders."

May 2020: "The Social AI Team wrapped up the first iteration of the bartender. "

It took CIG years of work to finally deliver Bartenders into the PU in september 2020,

Back then a lot of people were complaining about CIG allocating resources and prioritizing the development of Bartenders, but what those morons didn't understand was that Bartenders was the testbed for Star Citizen AI

Once Bartenders are implemented and functional, able to communicate and interact with the player, grab items etc... all this work can be applied to other civilian AI, vendors etc...

This will take all of Star Citizen's AI to the next level,

It has now been 3 years since bartenders were introduced :

Vendor have not undergone any changes, still non-responsive with their 3 different lines of dialogue when they manage to identify a customer and ask them to leave, civilian AI are still either prostrate or running into walls when they are not playing tag perched on the tables, chairs and benches of the Verse.

The bartenders themselves are completely irresponsive 99% of the time and useless, all the mentions of missions that the bartenders were supposed to deliver, in particular Eddy Parr at Microtech still does not exist and is not even mentioned anymore as we are in 2023.

But let's not be negative all this experience has been used to produce in record time what can be considered as the 2.0 version of the bartenders: coffee vendor one of the main features of 3.17 patch last year,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl8dN3bbHkc

quote:

CIG has figured out partial loading, partial networking and partial simulation with OCS and PES (Interest Management), persistence and distributed design with PES, shared simulation with Entity Authority.
What is left are Authority Transfers, Replication Layer on its own server, adding more game servers to a Shard and eventually dynamic on-demand distribution of authority (all of that being the last part: distributed simulation). You tell me what to make of that and if they can pull it off.

quote:

The time and money are kinda not great points as far as measuring progress.

Nintendo for example, is a 52 BILLION dollar corp who took 6 years to make BoTW (A jumped up mobile game if we're honest) and 6 more to make ToTK despite having the engine, ai, assets, enemies, world, etc all already built from BoTW, clocking ToTK in at arguably 12 years of total development for a single player game that runs on (outdated) mobile phone level hardware.

Meanwhile CIG had to bootstrap an entire studio from the ground and build something several orders of magnitude more complex WHILE keeping it in a state that we can keep playing with it while they work on it.

Honestly if it takes ANOTHER 10 years, I will understand. I will be drat near 50 .... but I will understand.